Wedding Reception Forum

Transporting my own cake to the reception (dinner). Has anyone ever done this? Any suggestions?

I am having a dinner reception after my small, 20 guest wedding on April 25th. I am still getting a cake. It is 2 tiers (8 in and 10 in). Because the cake is so small, my baker will not deliver it to the restaurant for me. I called the restaurant to see if I could drop it off the morning before the wedding , and they said that they could keep it in their cooler, but they were not responsible if anything happens to the cake. (which makes me feel real confident about leaving it there) I have no other option as far as transporting the cake. Me or someone in my family will have to take the cake. I live in MI so the temperature that day could be 40 degrees or 80. It's really not something that could be determined at this point. So my question is: has anyone ever transported their own wedding cake to their reception?  Any suggestions on making sure it doesn't get ruined or melt? Should I leave it with the restaurant? Any POSITIVE suggestions are welcome.

Re: Transporting my own cake to the reception (dinner). Has anyone ever done this? Any suggestions?

• natmull
    said:
    I am having a dinner reception after my small, 20 guest wedding on April 25th. I am still getting a cake. It is 2 tiers (8 in and 10 in). Because the cake is so small, my baker will not deliver it to the restaurant for me. I called the restaurant to see if I could drop it off the morning before the wedding , and they said that they could keep it in their cooler, but they were not responsible if anything happens to the cake. (which makes me feel real confident about leaving it there) I have no other option as far as transporting the cake. Me or someone in my family will have to take the cake. I live in MI so the temperature that day could be 40 degrees or 80. It's really not something that could be determined at this point. So my question is: has anyone ever transported their own wedding cake to their reception?  Any suggestions on making sure it doesn't get ruined or melt? Should I leave it with the restaurant? Any POSITIVE suggestions are welcome.
    Talk with your baker. They will most likely already have it stacked because a two tier cake has less of a chance of falling over then something taller. They will most likely give you pointers in regards to transporting it. Just make sure that the car has been cooled down and that you have a nice flat surface to put the cake on and nothing else around it that can bump into it.

A two tier cake, properly constructed should be pretty easy to transport.  The scariest part will be carrying it into your venue so just take your time and watch your step.

As for the bolded.  Was that really necessary?

• Ask your bakery to keep the tiers seperated.  I transported a three tier cake that way. It was NOT ideal, and some of the icing got messed up.  But, it worked.
  • That wasn't supposed to be bolded. I'm not really sure what happened with that. Sorry!
  • Fun story- I was in charge of bringing a dear friend's cake from the cake maker to the wedding site. On her way to meet us the cake maker was in a car accident! She was uninjured, but the two layer cake was a little wonky. It still tasted just as good!

You'll be fine just putting it flat in the trunk, rear area if it's an SUV. Make sure nothing is near it that wi slide into it if you have to make any sudden maneuvers
  • My family loves to tell this story. When my grandparents got married, my grandfather was in charge of going to pick up the cake on the wedding day. It was a simple cake with a simple plastic cake topper on it that the baker included. He made sure to be VERY careful driving it to the reception. He made sure that the topper stayed intact. Once he got there, my great aunt immediately tore off the topper to put fresh flowers on top of the cake. He tried so hard!

I have no advice for you though. Sorry. But I hope you liked the story. 
    Anniversary

• JoanE2012 said:
    natmull said:
    That wasn't supposed to be bolded. I'm not really sure what happened with that. Sorry!
    It was probably bolded by the responder to highlight the ridiculousness of that statement.  
    Yup, especially since myself and the other poster both said "and to the bolded."

• I used to have a home bakery so I have transported hundreds of tiered cakes already put together in my car. I would make sure your trunk/back of vehicle (if it's a van or SUV) doesn't have anything else in it. I also put down rubber shelf liner. It keeps the cake from sliding. Make sure you drive slow, don't slam the brakes, and turn corners carefully. If you have a car and the back seats come down I would put them down and turn the air on so the trunk stays cool. 

I have delivered cakes to restaurants for weddings sometimes the day before and they always say they can't be responsible for it. They do that just to cover their ass in case some accident does happen, but generally they will put it in a high spot of the cooler out of the way so that hopefully nothing will happen to it. IMHO, I think it would be safer at the restaurant rather than leaving it in your car throughout the ceremony. Also, if you guys are taking pictures after the ceremony it will be in your car even longer. Then you will have to either carry it into the restaurant yourself in your dress or get someone to do it for you while everyone is trying to enjoy your reception.
  • Put it in a flat spot in your car, which may be the back seat or the trunk if you drive a station wagon/SUV/van. Use bath towels to level the seat and provide a bit of traction. Drive slowly, brake slowly, take turns slowly. Put a sign in your back window that says "Wedding cake on board!" so other drivers know why you're driving like an asshat.

Personally, I'd leave it at the restaurant so you don't have to worry too much. Perhaps the bakery will give you a little extra icing so you can make any touch ups if need be.
  • We are having a 6" round cake, and 100 cupcakes made for our somewhat-small-wedding and intend to transport them to our venue and set them up ourselves. It saves on $ and I'm a control freak, so whatever.

I imagine the restaurant is just giving you the disclaimer to not hold them responsible for anything that happens simply so you wont go all Bridezilla on them if an accident DID happen. I am sure if you found a decent and reputable restaurant for your venue they are nice people and will be careful around your cake, but as the PPs have made clear - accidents happen.

• My mother works in a bakery that does not deliver... her standard advice is "drive like a little old lady". Seriously though no bumps, creep around any turns, and keep it level. two tiers is not impossible to transport but you do have to be very cautious. (Unless you are sure you can stack it yourself, don't ask for the tiers to be separated.)

• Who would have negative responses to a question about transporting cake? Feeling the need to dictate how people respond is what has gotten you negative responses.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards