Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Spinoff: Why did you ask the members of your WP to be in your wedding?

13»

Re: Spinoff: Why did you ask the members of your WP to be in your wedding?

• Options
    GerbertmcwayGerbertmcway member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    I asked my MOH because she's the best. I've known her since I was 3 and I forced my friendship on her via rollerblades. I asked my sister to be my bridesmaid because even though we don't typically get along very well and aren't terribly close, I love her and I would like to be more close with her. I asked my fiancé's sister to be my other bridesmaid because she's also like a sister to me and has been a very good friend to me and my fiancé.
    Oh, and my fiancé's younger sister (13) will be our "junior" bridesmaid. I know some around here don't like that title, but she is happy with it.
  • Options
    Why did you ask the members of your WP to be in your wedding?  What are you requiring of them on the day of/prior to?

I asked my brother because he is the only member of my family that I am close to and one of my best friends - it means a lot to me to have him standing there supporting my choice.  He may also end up walking with me.  

I really love, love this idea! There is a long time family friend that is so close to me that I would love for him to stand with me as I get married or at least walk me down the aisle. But, I keep thinking about my brothers teasing him for wanting to wear a bridesmaid dress (of course he would not just to be clear). Which made me start to think, how would the mechanics of that work out? 

I am wondering, how you would properly set that up for the ceremony? Does your brother walk alone down the aisle? Walk with an attendant on your fiance's side? Walk you? 
  • Options
    I have 6, and the only thing I'm asking of them is that they come to the rehearsal dinner the evening before the wedding. Of course, if someone couldn't make it to the rehearsal I would understand, but I'm really hoping they all can be there. The day of, I expect I'll be getting my hair and makeup done at a nearby salon; they'll have the option of getting it done at the salon, also, or getting ready at the hotel.

I have my cousin (MOH), my sister, a friend from 2nd grade, a friend from college, and 2 friends I met through my FI.  I love them all and I never thought I'd have so many awesome girlfriends.
  • Options
    Our wedding is very small so the only people we will have standing with us are my FI's 2 children and our foster daughter.

His 15yo daughter and our 17yo foster daughter will be standing with me and his 11 yo son will be standing with him.  :-)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Honor Attendants were my sister & DH's sister.  Bridesmaids were two friends that I've had since before kindergarten, & my BFF from high school.
  • Options
    I chose my Matron of Honor because she is the closest girl in my life, the one I'd call if I needed to hide a body at 3 a.m., be bailed out of jail, etc. etc. We talk about anything and everything and she's the best friend ever.

I chose my Maid of Honor because she's my longest friendship. We might not talk everyday or be as close as we once were, but we have a history that I don't have with anyone else. She was there for me so many times through high school, college and beyond when nobody else was.

Two of my bridesmaids are college friends who I love. The last is my cousin who has always been my "favorite cousin" and is just a gem. 
  • Options
    I had five girls stand with me and a sixth who couldn't make it to the wedding due to financial reasons. 

MOH & 1 BM are my two closest friends that I've also been friends with the longest (10 & 15 years). I consider both of them to be family and couldn't picture myself getting married without both of them standing with me. I was MOH in my MOH's wedding 3 weeks prior to ours. 

2 BMs were my SsIL. It was really important to DH and his family that family be included and I do really enjoy the company of both of my SsIL, so I asked them to stand with me.

1 BM was a really close friend that I haven't known quite as long as the other friends who stood up with me, but she's someone I try to get together with weekly and we regularly do double dates with her and her FI. Her FI was DH's best man. 

The one BM I asked who couldn't attend was a really close friend who, admittedly, I've grown away from since getting married (she is still very much a single party girl whereas I've settled down). But I still love her dearly. Unfortunately, I knew when asking her she may not be able to attend due to her living out of the country, but it meant a lot for me to know that I really wanted her there so I asked her anyway. 

Girls were asked to pick a knee-length (or thereabout) black cotton-sateen dress from DB in whatever style they were comfortable in and whatever shoes they wanted with the predominant color being black. I paid for coordinating sashes, hair, and makeup (though I didn't require them to be professionally done... they all chose to). 

DH asked his two brothers, my brother, and two really good friends. We were going to have *gasp* uneven numbers (I know E doesn't frown on it and it didn't bother me... bugged the heck out of MIL though) until my one BM from out of the country said she just couldn't financially swing it. 
  • Options
    I have three women in my bridal party.

1) My sister.  She's my BFF and knew she was gonna be my MOH years ago.  That was one of the first things she realized after I called to tell her I was engaged.  Haha!
    2) My cousin.  We've gotten very close especially since she moved closer to me.  She used to work at Sephora, so she's doing my makeup.  Score!
    3) My sorority sister/former co-worker.  Yes, she's both.  She also wants to be a wedding planner, so she knows A LOT about this stuff.

My FI hasn't asked his guys yet, and I honestly keep forgetting who they are.  I know at least two of them are friends he grew up with, and I think the third might be a fellow firefighter. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have four girls in my wedding party :) I have a maid of honor and a matron of honor.  My maid of honor is my best friend from high school, we are inseparable. My matron of honor is my other best friend from high school and we went to college together.  My other two bridesmaids are one of my closest friends and my maid of honors sister, and the other one is a life long friend I have known since I was 4 years old.  They're all wearing a dress I picked, but it looks great on all of them, and they can be quite indecisive so were actually relieved i made the decision for them! They can wear their hair and jewelry however they want :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards