Chit Chat

Since there's been a few threads on baby fever lately...

2»

Re: Since there's been a few threads on baby fever lately...

• Even though H and I are not planning on having kids we do have names for our hypothetical children.

Emma Madison for a girl (mainly because we like the names, no meaning behind them)

and

Patrick Matthew for a boy (named after H's friend who was killed a few years back (first name) and then H's middle name)

So in the event that we don't have kids (which it is looking that way) we will just adopt two more pups and name them those names.

• I love Charlie for a boy! Well, he would most likely be named Charles but we would call him Charlie. FI seems rather indifferent to it though, so we'll see. He has firmly squashed James/Jamie but would be open to Andrew or Robert.

For a girl I would like for her middle name to be either Isabelle or Ellen (both family names). There are several first names that I'm fond of- Elizabeth, Margaret, Charlotte, Mary are a few of them.
  • We don't plan on having kids, but we had a hell of a time agreeing on names for our cats. Not sure if kids' names would be better or worse...
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm due to have our first child in 7 weeks, it's a girl and we're naming her Eva. I've always liked the name and hubby is on board.
    My favorite boy's name is Anthony.
  • Guh.  Baby naming is hard work.  DH and I are still trying to figure it out (we're not finding out the sex).

He wants to re-reuse his middle name (which is the exact middle name of my SS; I said no).

As for myself, I've always liked:
    Boy:  Jonathan or Phillip
    Girl:  Elizabeth or Michelle

He seems to gravitate towards non-traditional (Skylar, as an example [I told him I didn't want people thinking I was THAT into "Breaking Bad"]).

Currently the last time we felt like discussing it, we THINK we MAY go with:
    Boy:  Jacob Ryan
    Girl:  Scarlett Leigh

This is, of course, completely subject to change.  *sigh*
  • One of my favorite girl names is Olivia but, FI doesn't like that. I also really like Anna and Eleanor (Elle or Ellie for short) and FI likes both of those. For boy names we both agree on Benjamin or Taylor.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• eg72 said:
    @jenna8984 That's pretty cool! I've met a few peoplewho don't have a middle name. They said it makes it  very simple when signing legal documents.
    My fiance doesn't have a middle name... but his 12 letter last name more than makes up for it. A lot of times, however, people try to cut his last name in two, making the first half a middle name and the second half a last name. Then we need to explain to them that it is all one word.
  • Hahaha I was telling FI about this thread and he just told me he wouldn't agree to any name that was on the top ten baby names of the year. He has a very common name and there were 12 other boys in his graduating class with it and he absolutely hated that.
  • SBmini said:
    eg72 said:
    @jenna8984 That's pretty cool! I've met a few peoplewho don't have a middle name. They said it makes it  very simple when signing legal documents.
    My fiance doesn't have a middle name... but his 12 letter last name more than makes up for it. A lot of times, however, people try to cut his last name in two, making the first half a middle name and the second half a last name. Then we need to explain to them that it is all one word.

This reminds me of a football player we had on the Patriots. BenJarvis Green-Ellis. Before I saw it written out and I just heard the announcer say it I was so confused. I thought Ben was the first name Jarvis and Green were the middle names and Ellis was the last name. But it's just first name, last name.

• jdluvr06 said:
    Hahaha I was telling FI about this thread and he just told me he wouldn't agree to any name that was on the top ten baby names of the year. He has a very common name and there were 12 other boys in his graduating class with it and he absolutely hated that.

@jdluvr06 Same here!!!!! I'm all about common, normal names but I want to barf every time I hear Emma. I literally know 10 babies under 4 years old with this name and I'm like what the hell is wrong with you people?! Do you NOT remember the 25 Jessica, Caitlin, Mike and Dan's in school?!

Lily and Olivia were actually my favorites growing up and now I absolutely refuse to use them because they are so popular.

• jenna8984 said:
    jdluvr06 said:
    Hahaha I was telling FI about this thread and he just told me he wouldn't agree to any name that was on the top ten baby names of the year. He has a very common name and there were 12 other boys in his graduating class with it and he absolutely hated that.

@jdluvr06 Same here!!!!! I'm all about common, normal names but I want to barf every time I hear Emma. I literally know 10 babies under 4 years old with this name and I'm like what the hell is wrong with you people?! Do you NOT remember the 25 Jessica, Caitlin, Mike and Dan's in school?!

Lily and Olivia were actually my favorites growing up and now I absolutely refuse to use them because they are so popular.

My name is in the top baby names now. Every little girl I meet has my name. Except I only know a few people around my age with that name.

• DH has decided we are going to have 1 boy named Alexius and 2 girls named Alina and Arya. Alexius is a family name, but it's really similar to my horrible ex's name, so I'm not sure about using it. He wanted to spell Alina either Aalina or Aelina, but I don't like unusual spellings. I know Arya is becoming popular because of Game of Thrones, but we both like it, and he named our kitty Nymeria, so it fits us.

Anniversary
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    It's going to sound weird, but I once met a guy named Brooke and at first I was all, "Who names their son Brooke?" Then we started chatting and as we talked, I really started to like his name and it stuck with me, so it's a possibility. For a boy, I also like Liam and Jamie. 

I love Iris or Winnie for a girl. 
  • One of my friends is currently pregnant and we're trying to convince her to name their kid Tiberius. We tried with their first child but were unsuccessful, but figure maybe we can convince them at the wedding how amazingly awesome it would be. If not, we'll give that name to our future dog.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    I would like for our kids to have my last name for their middle name. Not sure past that. FI has a humdinger of a Polish name so it's got to be something that goes with that and is simple, to make up for it. 

We aren't planners. I kind of picture us not being able to come up with a name until it pops out of me, and then we'll just know. 

My sister had a friend named Katrinka and I always really liked that. And it goes with his name. Not so simple though... 
  • Our kids will end up with family names. My sister and I have family names and I love the tradition. His son was named after FI's father and if we have a daughter she will be named after someone on my side.

My gramma lobbied my sister extensively to give her daughter gramma's name. My sister resisted as gramma's still alive and kicking. She's in her mid-90s so if she's gone when we have a daughter, we'll use that name. I can't have a boy though- we have the worst boy names in our families!

Ironically, my sister named my niece Zoey thinking it would be quirky and rare. Her daycare, classes, etc are all packed with Zoeys!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    edited April 2014
    I love very dramatic and old fashioned names like Andromeda, Coraline, Victoria and Cordelia. I also like Charles. I always wanted to name a kid Sophie after Howl's Moving Castle, but I then I realized how popular that name is. I don't like very popular names. FI says he just has to be able to make a short nickname out of the name, and he will be happy with the dramatic names.

Kids are a long ways off, though. 

I know for sure one of my daughters will have Rose somewhere in her name.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I really like a lot of names...my fiance only likes a couple of the ones I like.

For girls I like Annabelle, Beatrice, Blanche, Caroline, Cora, Dorothy, Edith, Edna, Edwina, Elaine, Esther, Evelyn, Flora, Florence, Georgiana, Gertrude, Gwendolyn, Harriet, Helen, Judith, Louise, Lucille, Margaret, Martha, Rosalie, Ruth, Vera, Vivianne, Winnifred.

For boys I like Albert, Alfred, Calvin, Charles, Dean, Donald, Ernest, Fred, Graham, Henry, James, Kenneth, Lionel, Martin, Paul, Peter, Phillip, Roger, Walter.
  • jenna8984 said:
    jdluvr06 said:

It is actually really funny because he says no common names and I say nothing too unusual because I have a out there name and I had some issues growing up with it. This is why I go by my middle name.
  • @jdluvr06 There's a ton of names in the middle ground. To me there's a big difference common name John/ Mike and common name Ronald/ Samuel. It's a normal name but there aren't 5 trillion of them. Just like Kathy vs Sabrina. Sabrina is far less common but still a totally normal name. Those are the ones I shoot for lol

• jenna8984 said:
    jdluvr06 said:

Caitlin here. Let me tell you, it's STILL annoying every time I hear someone say my name in public and look up, only to realize they're not talking to me. I also had the pleasure of personally know THREE other girls with the exact same first and last name as me while I was in school. One of them was actually my best friend in 5th grade. I'm actually VERY excited to change my name when I get married.
  • Boy will be Paul and girl will be Ava or McKenzie  we really want a girl, but no kids in our plans for a while.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I love the name Liam, and both my FI and I are heavily Irish so I could see him liking that one although we haven't talked names.  

I don't like unusual spellings or unusual names.  They bother me.  So whatever we choose, if and when the time comes, will be traditional.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jenna8984 said:
    @jdluvr06 There's a ton of names in the middle ground. To me there's a big difference common name John/ Mike and common name Ronald/ Samuel. It's a normal name but there aren't 5 trillion of them. Just like Kathy vs Sabrina. Sabrina is far less common but still a totally normal name. Those are the ones I shoot for lol

Yeah there is but he doesn't see that. Lol. He loves that my mom named my sister and I after goddesses. He thinks it is the coolest thing ever and I'm like... Um... No.
  • Fiance really, REALLY wants Biblical names. I'm okay with that up to a point...I have a weirdly strong dislike of the letter Z, so I vetoed Ezekiel and Zechariah in our first casual conversation about it. Also, nothing too out there or obscure...I'm good with traditional, but not too far! So, hopefully we can settle on names like Nathan, Caleb, Timothy, David, Samuel, etc. Girls will be harder, as the choices are fewer. But fiance insists it won't matter anyway because boys run in his family and that's all we'll have... ;)
  • amakayeb said:
    Fiance really, REALLY wants Biblical names. I'm okay with that up to a point...I have a weirdly strong dislike of the letter Z, so I vetoed Ezekiel and Zechariah in our first casual conversation about it. Also, nothing too out there or obscure...I'm good with traditional, but not too far! So, hopefully we can settle on names like Nathan, Caleb, Timothy, David, Samuel, etc. Girls will be harder, as the choices are fewer. But fiance insists it won't matter anyway because boys run in his family and that's all we'll have... ;)
    There are some totally great Biblical girl names (and you don't even want to know how much trouble my figners just had typing Biblical). Mary, Martha, Eve, Elizabeth, Ruth, Rebecca, Rachel, Naomi, Leah, and Sarah are the obvious ones, but there are tons more. Candace, Abigail, Deborah, Joanna, Julia, Lydia, Phoebe... And a whole host of less "normal" sounding ones, like Keziah and Tamar.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • SKPMSKPM member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    I really like the name Eloise. I've been trying to get Fi on board with it.

ETA damn quotes and boxes

Our neighbor is a single dad who has his 4 year old with him about half the time. Her name is Eloise and he affectionately refers to her as Weezy and it's the most adorable thing! It suits her well.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards