Wedding Etiquette Forum

Is a Honeymoon a bad Idea?

WAIT! I know what you are going to say. I'm not American here. I'm Canadian. So as a Canadian where we are much more polite, is a honeymoon registry a bad idea? Keep in mind we are not as...frivolous as the states.

Re: Is a Honeymoon a bad Idea?

• On a more serious note - no, honeymoon registries are not polite. Everyone knows cash is a great gift idea and you can use that to put towards your honeymoon. So many reasons they are wrong, just search the boards. We also have a number of Canadian brides on this board that I'm sure can weigh in as well.
  • I don't even understand what the OP is trying to say.

Honeymoon registries are the very definition of rude and frivolous, so why would any proper, polite, non-frivolous Canadian want one? 

And if you're so polite, you should know they are frivolous and rude.

Also, if you read any other thread, of which there are many, you'll see that honeymoon registries attach fees and don't actually reserve anything the guests pay for. The B&G usually get a check (minus those fees). Honeymoon registries make money for the companies that run them and the B&G. That's it.

Just register for items you want for your house. If people want to give you cash, they will. You should never ask for cash, and that includes honeymoon registries.
  • gmcr78 said:
    I find it terribly impolite to point out how "...frivolous" we are here in the states, and implying that we are less polite.  I don't normally find too many things on TK to be offensive, especially enough to post about it, but this really rubs me the wrong way.
    I hosted a lovely wedding with impeccable etiquette, thank you very much. And I didn't have a honeymoon registry.
    Ditto. Same here. 
  • WAIT! I know what you are going to say. I'm not American here. I'm Canadian. So as a Canadian where we are much more polite, is a honeymoon registry a bad idea? Keep in mind we are not as...frivolous as the states.

I guess I missed the part in all other honeymoon registry threads where the first question is 'wait, what country do you live in? It might be slightly less rude as long as you aren't a frivolous American.' Nope.

• WAIT! I know what you are going to say. I'm not American here. I'm Canadian. So as a Canadian where we are much more polite, is a honeymoon registry a bad idea? Keep in mind we are not as...frivolous as the states.
    For someone who claims to be so polite, you sure as hell shot that self-aggrandizing self-proclaimed stereotype in the foot when you made that ridiculous and rude sweeping generalization about an entire other country.

Considering you are so bold and rude, go ahead and have a tacky honeymoon registry.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• ckel24 said:
    Hilarious. 
    If anyone calls, I'm in the kitchen starting the popcorn.

Can you make some milkshakes too?!
    I think she's making us all waffles. . .

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• All the good threads happen while I'm on my phone...... :(

Anniversary
  • As someone with an American father and Canadian mother, let me start off by saying how rude this is. No matter what stereotypes you may be familiar with, your view is presumptuous. As a Canadian myself, I am embarrassed. 
    Further, if we're that much more polite, why are you even considering doing something deemed rude internationally?  
  • Yes. Honeymoon registries are even rude on the moon.

Wedding registries/showers/gifts are intended to get the new couple off to a good start in their new life together. Honeymoons are not required for you to start life as a married couple. Many people cannot afford one (whether the money or the time involved) so therefore they do not have one. You do not get to ask people to subsidize things which are unnecessary to starting married life. If you already have the things necessary and need not one single additional dish towel, good on you! You get the pleasure of declining registries and showers. You don't get to ask people who may not have had a honeymoon themselves to pay for your tea party with dolphins.
    To the bolded: have you been to a tea party with dolphins? I am extremely jealous if you have and I demand to know where you went to do it.

(Also, I lol-ed for reals)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • kristbot said:
    Yes. Honeymoon registries are even rude on the moon.

Wedding registries/showers/gifts are intended to get the new couple off to a good start in their new life together. Honeymoons are not required for you to start life as a married couple. Many people cannot afford one (whether the money or the time involved) so therefore they do not have one. You do not get to ask people to subsidize things which are unnecessary to starting married life. If you already have the things necessary and need not one single additional dish towel, good on you! You get the pleasure of declining registries and showers. You don't get to ask people who may not have had a honeymoon themselves to pay for your tea party with dolphins.
    To the bolded: have you been to a tea party with dolphins? I am extremely jealous if you have and I demand to know where you went to do it.

(Also, I lol-ed for reals)
    Not yet, but you can bet I'll pay for it my damn self because I'm a grown-up.

• For a Canadian who is so polite, 1) you first post was super rude and 2) you should be able to figure out on your own that a honeymoon registry is rude. 
  • Oh wait, you're Canadian? Then yeah, you're in the clear. Go for it! Sarcasm. In case you missed it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards