Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Is a Honeymoon a bad Idea?

Re: Is a Honeymoon a bad Idea?

• Options
    Hi, I'm the tacky rude and frivolous American who has a Honeymoon fund that everyone is talking about on this thread.  Please cast your stones.  
  • Options
    Kerrots said:
    Hi, I'm the tacky rude and frivolous American who has a Honeymoon fund that everyone is talking about on this thread.  Please cast your stones.  
    OMG THIS WHOLE THREAD IS ABOUT YOU!?!?!?!
  • Options
    @MuppetOverlord you lie! If we had a poutine registry you bet your ass I would have been all over that!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    kristbot said:
    Yes. Honeymoon registries are even rude on the moon.

Wedding registries/showers/gifts are intended to get the new couple off to a good start in their new life together. Honeymoons are not required for you to start life as a married couple. Many people cannot afford one (whether the money or the time involved) so therefore they do not have one. You do not get to ask people to subsidize things which are unnecessary to starting married life. If you already have the things necessary and need not one single additional dish towel, good on you! You get the pleasure of declining registries and showers. You don't get to ask people who may not have had a honeymoon themselves to pay for your tea party with dolphins.
    To the bolded: have you been to a tea party with dolphins? I am extremely jealous if you have and I demand to know where you went to do it.

(Also, I lol-ed for reals)
    Not yet, but you can bet I'll pay for it my damn self because I'm a grown-up.
    Does feeding dolphins live fish count as tea?  I was in Australia at the time, if that changes your answer.  Those dolphins seemed pleased as punch, but they might have been being polite since I'm a frivolous, stupid American.
  • Options
    foxish said:

kristbot said:

Wedding registries/showers/gifts are intended to get the new couple off to a good start in their new life together. Honeymoons are not required for you to start life as a married couple. Many people cannot afford one (whether the money or the time involved) so therefore they do not have one. You do not get to ask people to subsidize things which are unnecessary to starting married life. If you already have the things necessary and need not one single additional dish towel, good on you! You get the pleasure of declining registries and showers. You don't get to ask people who may not have had a honeymoon themselves to pay for your tea party with dolphins.

To the bolded: have you been to a tea party with dolphins? I am extremely jealous if you have and I demand to know where you went to do it.

(Also, I lol-ed for reals)

Not yet, but you can bet I'll pay for it my damn self because I'm a grown-up.

Does feeding dolphins live fish count as tea?  I was in Australia at the time, if that changes your answer.  Those dolphins seemed pleased as punch, but they might have been being polite since I'm a frivolous, stupid American.

It totally does! I mean, the dolphins probably would have preferred if the fish were dead, but they gave you a pass since you're a frivolous American. ;)
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Saying the all Americans are frivolous is like Americans saying that all Canadians are cheap. For example the old restaurant joke...what is the difference between a canoe and a Canadian? Canoes tip! Over generalizations are offensive and counter productive. Kind of like this post and your Honeyfund.
  • Options
    I have never even heard of Canadians being supposedly cheap.  Huh.
  • Options
    I think there is a Poutine registry for Canadians.
    Not to confirm stereotypes or anything, but we're definitely serving poutine as a late night treat. It's not that it's Canadian... It's just good!
  • Options
    Will one of the Canadians please explain what poutine is?

As for the stereotype all of my server friends say Canadians are cheaper when it comes to tips but that some Europeans do not tip at all. In FL we have snowbirds from everywhere and depending on the country they are not used the fact that American servers live off their tips.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

As for the stereotype all of my server friends say Canadians are cheaper when it comes to tips but that some Europeans do not tip at all. In FL we have snowbirds from everywhere and depending on the country they are not used the fact that American servers live off their tips.
    I am not Canadian but I love poutine! It is french fries with cheese curds and gravy. Not very good for your waistline, but very nice on the tastebuds.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Inkdancer said:

I am not Canadian but I love poutine! It is french fries with cheese curds and gravy. Not very good for your waistline, but very nice on the tastebuds.
    Cheese curds like cottage cheese? I may have to try this one day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Inkdancer said:

Yep! But they're usually bigger pieces so they melt into the gravy.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options

To be fair, tipping is not a custom for most places in Europe as they already charge gratuity on your bills. When I moved back from England (lived there for a year and a half) I had to get used to tipping again.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    When I am at home and make poutine, I put the fries on my plate, just put grated cheese on top, then cover it all in gravy. It is so good.
  • Options

Poutine is manna from Heaven. It's fries, with gravy and cheese curds. Not cottage cheese style, but way bigger curds, like whole they can be thumb-sized. You can buy those separately here, too. I've only seen them in the Midwest US. Poutine is also the epitome of French Canadian 'the bars are closed, what now?' food. If you're ever in Quebec, it's a necessity.

As for tipping, I've been a server here and average tips are 15-20%. But this was in Toronto, I've heard when you're in a smaller city, or a town, tips do get smaller. So if your tourists are more rural, that might be why. Also old people. I'm guessing, as it's snowbirds. 

Europeans don't tip more than a token, not the level we do in North America. But ASAIK there isn't the minimum wage distinction there as there is here. Noting as well, there's still a difference for a server minimum wage here, but it's less ridiculous.

Now I want poutine. Roadtrip anyone?
  • Options
    Are the cheese curds fried? I live in the frivolous midwest and we love our cheese curds. No poutine though so I want to attempt to make it. 
  • Options
    WAIT! I know what you are going to say. I'm not American here. I'm Canadian. So as a Canadian where we are much more polite, is a honeymoon registry a bad idea? Keep in mind we are not as...frivolous as the states.
    Wow, way to assume a lot about America.

But yes, us frivolous and rude Americans find honeymoon registries tacky.

As does this Canadian.

Serious, what the actual fuck? Being a polite Canadian doesn't automatically mean that your cash grab is also polite. This applies to all honeyfunds, Stag and Doe/Jack and Jill parties, cash bars, and whatever other nonsense other Canadian brides try to claim is totally normal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Inkdancer said:
    Inkdancer said:

Yep! But they're usually bigger pieces so they melt into the gravy.
    Tastes more like mozzarella and not cottage cheese though.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I should make an In N Out registry if we're getting all nationalized.
  • Options
    ViczaesarViczaesar member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014

Poutine is manna from Heaven. It's fries, with gravy and cheese curds. Not cottage cheese style, but way bigger curds, like whole they can be thumb-sized. You can buy those separately here, too. I've only seen them in the Midwest US. Poutine is also the epitome of French Canadian 'the bars are closed, what now?' food. If you're ever in Quebec, it's a necessity.

As for tipping, I've been a server here and average tips are 15-20%. But this was in Toronto, I've heard when you're in a smaller city, or a town, tips do get smaller. So if your tourists are more rural, that might be why. Also old people. I'm guessing, as it's snowbirds. 

Europeans don't tip more than a token, not the level we do in North America. But ASAIK there isn't the minimum wage distinction there as there is here. Noting as well, there's still a difference for a server minimum wage here, but it's less ridiculous.

Now I want poutine. Roadtrip anyone?
    There also isn't a minimum wage distinction in the US in every state - there are several states, mainly on the West coast, where they are required to pay servers at least full state minimum wage before tips - California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Montana, Minnesota, and Guam.

• Options

Now THAT'S what I call a destination wedding ;).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    French fries should only be eaten with ketchup, bbq sauce, or fry sauce.
    Signed, An American

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

French fries should only be eaten with ketchup, bbq sauce, or fry sauce.

Signed, An American
    Wth is fry sauce??
    I love horsey sauce with my fries. Or caper aioli. Or chili and cheese. Or cinnamon honey with sweet potato fries.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards