Snarky Brides
Options

Worst wedding music choices you've heard of?

Re: Worst wedding music choices you've heard of?

• Options
    KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Inkdancer said:
    Related question: are there songs people love but decided not to play because of the message?

My FI and I have two songs that we consider "our song": The Only Exception by Paramore and Crosses by Jose Gonzales. Both are about finding love after struggles, but both are sad as hell. We decided not to do our first dance to either of them so we wouldn't confuse people with dancing to depressing songs.
    The Only Exception is actually our first dance song. It holds a lot of meaning for us, so while it isn't lyrically "perfect", it was really a no brainer. Otherwise, we have very different tastes in music.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    KGold80 said:
    Inkdancer said:
    Related question: are there songs people love but decided not to play because of the message?

My FI and I have two songs that we consider "our song": The Only Exception by Paramore and Crosses by Jose Gonzales. Both are about finding love after struggles, but both are sad as hell. We decided not to do our first dance to either of them so we wouldn't confuse people with dancing to depressing songs.
    The Only Exception is actually our first dance song. It holds a lot of meaning for us, so while it isn't lyrically "perfect", it was really a no brainer. Otherwise, we have very different tastes in music.
    We thought very hard about using it, but these lines made me change my mind:

maybe I know somewhere deep in my soul that love never lasts,
    and we've got to find other ways to make it alone or keep a straight face,
    and I've always lived like this, keeping a comfortable distance,
    because none of it was ever worth the risk
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Inkdancer said:
    KGold80 said:
    Inkdancer said:

We thought very hard about using it, but these lines made me change my mind:

maybe I know somewhere deep in my soul that love never lasts,
    and we've got to find other ways to make it alone or keep a straight face,
    and I've always lived like this, keeping a comfortable distance,
    because none of it was ever worth the risk
    Yeah, I get that...but then the song immediately goes into the chorus "But you are the only exception..."

If it weren't for that it'd be a total no go for me, too. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I love that Paramour song. The only reason I wouldn't use it is because my parents have a great relationship, and the song seemed to be about how the parents' relationship influenced her to keep love out.... but this guy's the only exception.

Honestly, I'm not being too picky about the music. If it's dancey, we want it.  We're not too concerned about "wedding" music; we're more about "will people dance to this?"  

I actually have contemplated the cello version of that Twilight song, aka Christina Perri.  The lyrics do speak to me and FI... we waited a long damn time to finally find each other :)  

• Options
    We picked "Je te laisserai des mots" by Patrick Wilson. The music is sad sounding, but the words are perfect and we both love that song. We don't care if it sounds sad to other people, it sounds perfect to us.
  • Options
    Best Worst Music Moment Ever: 

Way way way back in about 1973 or 4 ish,  I was at an outdoor wedding at a sort of "wedding estate" type of venue. With my parents.  Ceremony on the lawn under the trees. A group of peacocks were wandering around. (oooh, aaaah, fancy.)

So, for whatever reason the bride (older cousin) loves the Carpenters. We've Only Just Beguuuun.  Close To You. All that really super cheesy stuff. 
    She hired an a cappella group. Okay. A STROLLING a cappella group.

Just like golly gee, we just all happen to be casually strolling by the wedding in our matching skirt and sweater sets. Out from behind a group of trees (just like meeee they long to beeee close to you) and then hidden behind the bushes, and heeeere they come again, (this time singing white lace and proooomises, we start out walking and learn to run.)

Picture them, looking like super keen clean teen college boys and girls in matching v neck sweaters over turtlenecks, matching white pleated skirts and pants. Very frikking Lawrence Welk or Andy Williams show. Nothing groovy happening here folks. Just pure all American cheesy. Like a singing Brady Bunch. 

And then peacocks took exception. The peacocks whip their heads around to stare, and they looked outraged. And then they puffed up and looked furious. 

And on the third casual singing stroll by, the effing peacocks charged the singers. They attacked. 

The peacocks decided they had enough with Carpenters, and they not only charged, they charged screaming that horrible peacock screech.

And the singers were running/trying not to run and getting pecked in their asses and on the legs and still frikking singing and the peacocks were screaming and nobody was even watching the wedding and all it took was one person (Thanks Dad! I love you!) to lose control and start laughing, and yep. Every guest on the lawn, wedding party, and groom completely lost it.

The only people not laughing were the bride and her mother, who were outraged with guests, peacocks, minister, groom, and my dad in particular. ( Uhm, sorry there, Auntie Dolores. But hell yes, it was funny.)

Hooray for the Carpenters! And the peacocks! Best effing bad wedding music ever! I was a happy child that day. Good times.

OMG i just died laughing at that story. dyyyying. If i were the bride i would have probably been the first to laugh LOL
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options

Way way way back in about 1973 or 4 ish,  I was at an outdoor wedding at a sort of "wedding estate" type of venue. With my parents.  Ceremony on the lawn under the trees. A group of peacocks were wandering around. (oooh, aaaah, fancy.)

So, for whatever reason the bride (older cousin) loves the Carpenters. We've Only Just Beguuuun.  Close To You. All that really super cheesy stuff. 

Just like golly gee, we just all happen to be casually strolling by the wedding in our matching skirt and sweater sets. Out from behind a group of trees (just like meeee they long to beeee close to you) and then hidden behind the bushes, and heeeere they come again, (this time singing white lace and proooomises, we start out walking and learn to run.)

Picture them, looking like super keen clean teen college boys and girls in matching v neck sweaters over turtlenecks, matching white pleated skirts and pants. Very frikking Lawrence Welk or Andy Williams show. Nothing groovy happening here folks. Just pure all American cheesy. Like a singing Brady Bunch. 

And then peacocks took exception. The peacocks whip their heads around to stare, and they looked outraged. And then they puffed up and looked furious. 

And on the third casual singing stroll by, the effing peacocks charged the singers. They attacked. 

The peacocks decided they had enough with Carpenters, and they not only charged, they charged screaming that horrible peacock screech.

And the singers were running/trying not to run and getting pecked in their asses and on the legs and still frikking singing and the peacocks were screaming and nobody was even watching the wedding and all it took was one person (Thanks Dad! I love you!) to lose control and start laughing, and yep. Every guest on the lawn, wedding party, and groom completely lost it.

The only people not laughing were the bride and her mother, who were outraged with guests, peacocks, minister, groom, and my dad in particular. ( Uhm, sorry there, Auntie Dolores. But hell yes, it was funny.)

Hooray for the Carpenters! And the peacocks! Best effing bad wedding music ever! I was a happy child that day. Good times.

Omg, this made me laugh so hard, I cried! I would have been rolling on the ground laughing if this were my wedding. Hell, I have a hard enough time not laughing at some of the crazy things my little 5 year old students do/say sometimes!

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Iwx2b0DQQ

This. I couldn't imagine doing something like this in front of my grandparents and future inlaws!!

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    ab6704a said:
    John Mayer's "Daughters" which lots of people think is a sweet daddy/daughter dance was supposedly written by Mayer about an ex-girlfriend who had trust issues because of her absentee father, which lead to the decline and eventual split of their relationship.
    I was going to mention this song too because it's on all of these lists I've been seeing for Father/Daughter dances and I'm like seriously... listen to the lyrics!!!! We are meeting with our DJ next weekend to go over the song we want played so we keep looking at lists and songs.

Anniversary

• Options
    We are both die hard metal fans. As in think nothing of going to Wacken yearly. Or being on the rail at Rammstein. My dad introduced me to Motorhead, I come by it honestly. He took my best friends and me to 1997 Family Values tour.

Grandma actually likes Tool musically, but finds Maynard creepy weird. NIN never bothered her that DF knows of. So he comes by metal honestly.

But even if we have a DJ and dancing - I'm not playing a healthy 80% of what we listen to. Since neither of us will dance in public, we aren't having that however.
  • Options
    sophierosebride
    Thank you for posting that. It made my day. Possibly the most offensive thing I've seen. I love the fact the dad is holding his sons ears when the cursing starts and another woman just walks out in disgust at the end.
    WHY??? WHY??? why in a million years would people think out right offending guests in ok?
    Thanks for the video!
  • Options
    We are both die hard metal fans. As in think nothing of going to Wacken yearly. Or being on the rail at Rammstein. My dad introduced me to Motorhead, I come by it honestly. He took my best friends and me to 1997 Family Values tour. Grandma actually likes Tool musically, but finds Maynard creepy weird. NIN never bothered her that DF knows of. So he comes by metal honestly. But even if we have a DJ and dancing - I'm not playing a healthy 80% of what we listen to. Since neither of us will dance in public, we aren't having that however.
    AHHH does that mean you got to hear Floor Jansen in person? ;-; I am so jealous.
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Yes indeed! Several times actually. Seen her with her other bands. Was at the infamous Denver concert, then the first she did with Nightwish. Then did three festivals last summer. I'll be a snot and admit she's got a much better sound for Nightwish than Anette had.
  • Options
    Inkdancer said:

I wouldn't consider The Only Exception to be our song, so much as "my song."  Same thing with Mine by Taylor Swift.  About having really disappointing parents and overcoming and finding love anyway.  I think either of those songs would upset my parents (specifically my dad, and he loves music so he would be paying attention).  Maybe Mine is okay because it's just a few lines, but definitely not the Paramore song.  I think we definitely will be playing "Still Into You" by Paramore-- great love message, upbeat, not sad.

@lolo883 What song from Twilight?  Do people play the theme song at weddings or something?!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Inkdancer said:

I wouldn't consider The Only Exception to be our song, so much as "my song."  Same thing with Mine by Taylor Swift.  About having really disappointing parents and overcoming and finding love anyway.  I think either of those songs would upset my parents (specifically my dad, and he loves music so he would be paying attention).  Maybe Mine is okay because it's just a few lines, but definitely not the Paramore song.  I think we definitely will be playing "Still Into You" by Paramore-- great love message, upbeat, not sad.

@lolo883 What song from Twilight?  Do people play the theme song at weddings or something?!
    @JCBride2014 Christina Perri, A Thousand Years.

• Options
    JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    Inkdancer said:

That's from Twilight?  Noooooo, I love that song!

ETA:
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Inkdancer said:

Yeah I didn't know either until it was on one day and a friend squealed about how much she loved it in the movie. Womp womp. Way to ruin it for everybody.

• Options
    Inkdancer said:

Yeah I didn't know either until it was on one day and a friend squealed about how much she loved it in the movie. Womp womp. Way to ruin it for everybody.
    Whatever.  I still like it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    And here I thought that song was annoying enough on it's own.

Wait till the 50 creepy train wreck movie comes out.
  • Options
    And here I thought that song was annoying enough on it's own. Wait till the 50 creepy train wreck movie comes out.
    Baaaaarrrrffffffffffffff everything related to that trainwreck is, well... a trainwreck.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    It's a badly written train wreck of fan fiction of the badly written, highly immoral and unethical train wreck that fan ficced Harry Potter and Dracula.

It's not even meh level erotica kink. It's just bad.
  • Options
    @PrincessOfHavoc You are just awesome and I am jealous. And yeah, I think Floor is better than either Annette or Tarja.
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Hehe. In Nightwish, full agreement. I do like Tarja's solo work however. Granted most of the music by any combination isn't that wedding friendly.
  • Options

OMG so funny I cried!
  • Options

So I was Knotting in a client meeting this afternoon, with a secret margarita in my insulated cup because they were causing me to miss the beginning of our Dos de Mayo party, when I stumbled upon this gem. I'm pretty damn proud of how well I kept it together because I was HOWLING inside.

• Options
    I am going to be that person who specifically requests that Du Hast be played at some point at my own wedding. Because with Rammstein, it isn't a breakup song. It's a vicious rejection of marriage song. With explosions and also fire.

I'm picking all sorts of lovely jazz standards for the "real" music, I think I'm allowed to stick my tongue firmly in cheek for one pick :)
  • Options
    So jealous about you getting to be on the rail at Rammstein - I don't do floor tickets anymore because I kept triggering my migraines, but that's the one show I've been to where I wish I'd taken the risk. I assume this was post-LIFAD so you got covered in fake snow?
  • Options
    astrojax said:
    I am going to be that person who specifically requests that Du Hast be played at some point at my own wedding. Because with Rammstein, it isn't a breakup song. It's a vicious rejection of marriage song. With explosions and also fire.

I'm picking all sorts of lovely jazz standards for the "real" music, I think I'm allowed to stick my tongue firmly in cheek for one pick :)
    I know I'm breaking etiquette here, but I'm inviting myself to your wedding. I need to witness Du Hast at a reception in THE WORST WAY.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I mean, I could pick a song that isn't just saying "NEIN" to the traditional German wedding vows, including double entendres because "death which would separate" sounds like "death of the vagina". But what's the fun in that? (Also it's like the only Rammstein song anyone recognizes.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards