#Promposals

2»

Re: #Promposals

• wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2014
    whitjoy said:
    On my facebook this week!
    I actually don't hate that!  At least they all look classy with long dresses and nothing hanging out where it shouldn't.  Although I don't understand why they have the girl in a white dress holding one of the white letters...
    It's actually a really nice shot. 

I also love that a dude in the back row (pink tie) is checking out the chest on the girl in the blue and white feathery dress. ;)
  • Our tickets were like $30 for singles $50 for couples. So people would buddy up, buy couples tickets, and split the cost. Well, school officials did not like this and issued a rule that only romantic couples were allowed, no buddying up with your friend, girl/guy couples only.

The hell that I raised at that was legendary. The rule got scrapped pretty quickly. Dinner was eaten before hand, some kids went to the super fancy restaurants, most went to chains like Red Lobster, I liked putting on formal wear and going to sports bars or hole in the wall Mexican joints.
  • MagicInk said:
    Our tickets were like $30 for singles $50 for couples. So people would buddy up, buy couples tickets, and split the cost. Well, school officials did not like this and issued a rule that only romantic couples were allowed, no buddying up with your friend, girl/guy couples only.

The hell that I raised at that was legendary. The rule got scrapped pretty quickly. Dinner was eaten before hand, some kids went to the super fancy restaurants, most went to chains like Red Lobster, I liked putting on formal wear and going to sports bars or hole in the wall Mexican joints.
    Good for you raising hell!

To the bolded: I still like doing this in NYC.  A few weeks ago for "law prom," I went to dinner at a basement wine bar in a floor-length gold sequin gown.  All of us were dressed up this BTO (psshhh) event that started at 10pm.  We were like... well, I guess we have to eat!  I wore the dress on the subway too, with my leather jacket.  Got a few looks but I sure as heck wasn't paying $40 for a cab.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    My dress in 1969 was pink chantilly lace empire style, and it cost $6 on an 80-% off clearance rack.  My hair, piled very high a la 60's, was hilarious!
    My younger sister went with a popular Jewish boy in my graduating class, who became a Hasidic rabbi some years later!  His family still doesn't understand what happened, as they are not religious at all!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • My prom was 13 years ago. It was $200 per couple because my school thought it was a good idea to have it at the Roosevelt Hotel in Manhattan. I went with my then boyfriend and my best friend. Her bf was 2 years older and said he was too cool to go to a HS prom. We took a limo into the city but split the cost 7 ways so it wasnt too much to handle. The food was beyond awful so all of us went to Mcdonalds in our gowns and tuxes afterwards.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • APDSS22APDSS22 member
    I remember seeing the popular girls get promposals in high school.  Blech.  I did have prom dates both years, ours was similar to HGF's where the tickets weren't super expensive, cheaper for a couples' ticket though so I made plans to go with my best friend (non-romantically).  Well, junior prom was a total surprise because a senior guy I had one class with caught up to me after English and asked if I'd go to prom with him.  I said yes, luckily had enough time to tell my best friend so she could make plans with another of our friends to chip in for a couples' ticket. 

Then senior year, I asked one of my guy friends to ask around and find me a date and I ended up going with a junior who had a boyfriend in another state I didn't find out about until later (in the closet in a BIG way) but he could dance really well.  Both times I had a great time wearing a fun dress I picked up from the department store on clearance.  I did have a shorter dress senior year, but it wasn't slut-tastic.  There was a girl with a dress like Belle's from Beauty and the Beast's ballroom scene but so short it was showing her cooch and barely covering her boobs that year.  (She came drunk and had to be removed in an ambulance because she passed out otherwise I probably wouldn't remember her dress.)
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    edited May 2014
    My experiences with prom:

-I did not go to prom.

-The prom at the high school in my town didn't seem to crazy.  I never heard of crazy over the top promposals.

-Last weekend, I was at a banquet. The restaurant was also being used for a dinner for several couples going to prom. So me and my friends are heading in to this banquet and this big 'ol military-type transport vehicle pulls up and all these fancy dressed girls and guys get out of the back. The guys were helping these girls in these huge poofy skirts down a ladder out of the back of the truck.  It was probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.
  • I skipped junior prom as it was the night before SATs. I was applying early decision at a couple of schools so I wanted as many chances to get a good score as I could. Senior year, I went with a gay friend of mine. Tickets were one price for senior couples, one price for a senior with anyone from the school, one price for a senior with anyone not from the school, one price for juniors regardless of who they took (I think, there may have been more prices but I can't remember honestly). Full cocktail hour and dinner at a very nice banquet hall. I think a couple of groups got limos but we mostly drove our own cars. 

I look back at my prom pictures, and the guys had tuxes and girls wore tea/floor-length dresses. A few had spaghetti straps and/or open backs, but everything was still tasteful. My mom found my dress at a garage sale and altered it to fit me. I wish I was still skinny enough to fit it because it was gorgeous.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• kitty8403kitty8403 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    My boyfriend wasn't in town. I went with the girls. Both years I worked with or made over hand-me-down dresses and screwed up my own hair. Guess it wasn't a REAL prom.
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Last year I was working at Applebee's and one of my coworkers was a high school student whose friend wanted her help with a promposal. We had a little intercom system at the front and she used it to ask her to prom for him. 

It was so awkward. People were so confused. They both were just sitting there so no one could really figure out who was being asked. It would've made more sense if he was the one asking. It didn't help that the girl's name was Jeremy, either. 
  • MagicInk said:
    Our tickets were like $30 for singles $50 for couples. So people would buddy up, buy couples tickets, and split the cost. Well, school officials did not like this and issued a rule that only romantic couples were allowed, no buddying up with your friend, girl/guy couples only.

Good for you raising hell!

To the bolded: I still like doing this in NYC.  A few weeks ago for "law prom," I went to dinner at a basement wine bar in a floor-length gold sequin gown.  All of us were dressed up this BTO (psshhh) event that started at 10pm.  We were like... well, I guess we have to eat!  I wore the dress on the subway too, with my leather jacket.  Got a few looks but I sure as heck wasn't paying $40 for a cab.

Law prom!! Yessssss!! My 3L year it was a masquerade ball.  So much fun.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about people who propose/get engaged at their prom.  Which someone did at mine.  It was all kinds of awkward.
  • When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about people who propose/get engaged at their prom.  Which someone did at mine.  It was all kinds of awkward.
    I don't remember anyone getting engaged at prom, but so many kids I went to high school with were "engaged" by their junior years. None of those kids married the person they were "engaged to, but our school newspaper ran a whole story about it and how great it was to be engaged in high school.

Thought it was dumb then, think it's dumb now.
  • Our prom was more like a mini- wedding reception with a buffet dinner and round tables in a big ballroom.  I actually remember it being really fun, like a freakin' awesome time.  I wore a huge coral princess ball gown and just danced all night.

Anybody else have that trend with the really slutty dresses at prom?  We have a lot of bare midriffs, tiny miniskirts, really clingy thin dresses with VPL.  I'll always be glad I got my big poofy princess dress and actually looked like, you know, a high school student.
    Same here with the mini-reception. Slutty? Kind of... I went to prom when the two-piece ball-gown was trendy. I wore a poufy skirt with a corset-style top and showed two inches of mid-riff.  I still think it was cute :)  

• MagicInk said:

Um. Red Lobster was the super fancy restaurant in my home town. :-p

• Oh geez. Snowflakes in the making. Prom sucked for me. I went to an all girls HS, so at the time I asked my "ex" (I guess we were casually dating at the time?) to go with me. He was excited, and got a matching vest and white suit (maybe it was a tux) to match my big poofy baby blue dress. I even had a tiara  to boot. Right before prom he "dumped" me (we weren't bf and gf though, so whatever), but said he would still take me to prom. My HS bff was dating an older dude at the time, and she gave me a mini bottle of Hennessy and he told me to mix it with kool-aid (classy!), which I did at home after I got dressed for prom and promptly barfed it up. 

Prom was a blur, I had an okay time. We went to a comedy club after (teen night!), and I remember my prom date was staring at my friend the whole time which broke my little heart. I had a curfew and had to go home after, while my friends all went to the after party. I could tell my date wanted to ditch me so he could go back out and party with MY friends. I also had a massive headache when it was all over.

Needless to say, my prom date "ex" is now actually one of my best friends, so in the end it all worked out. I totally think that prom is overrated. If I could have a do-over, I would have saved that money to take with me to college a few months later. Spent the night with friends at a burger joint and the movies.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• pinkcow13 said:
    Oh geez. Snowflakes in the making. Prom sucked for me. I went to an all girls HS, so at the time I asked my "ex" (I guess we were casually dating at the time?) to go with me. He was excited, and got a matching vest and white suit (maybe it was a tux) to match my big poofy baby blue dress. I even had a tiara  to boot. Right before prom he "dumped" me (we weren't bf and gf though, so whatever), but said he would still take me to prom. My HS bff was dating an older dude at the time, and she gave me a mini bottle of Hennessy and he told me to mix it with kool-aid (classy!), which I did at home after I got dressed for prom and promptly barfed it up. 

Prom was a blur, I had an okay time. We went to a comedy club after (teen night!), and I remember my prom date was staring at my friend the whole time which broke my little heart. I had a curfew and had to go home after, while my friends all went to the after party. I could tell my date wanted to ditch me so he could go back out and party with MY friends. I also had a massive headache when it was all over.

Needless to say, my prom date "ex" is now actually one of my best friends, so in the end it all worked out. I totally think that prom is overrated. If I could have a do-over, I would have saved that money to take with me to college a few months later. Spent the night with friends at a burger joint and the movies.
    I went to an all-girls school too! Proms are weird when there are no guys at school.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Inkdancer said:
    pinkcow13 said:
    Oh geez. Snowflakes in the making. Prom sucked for me. I went to an all girls HS, so at the time I asked my "ex" (I guess we were casually dating at the time?) to go with me. He was excited, and got a matching vest and white suit (maybe it was a tux) to match my big poofy baby blue dress. I even had a tiara  to boot. Right before prom he "dumped" me (we weren't bf and gf though, so whatever), but said he would still take me to prom. My HS bff was dating an older dude at the time, and she gave me a mini bottle of Hennessy and he told me to mix it with kool-aid (classy!), which I did at home after I got dressed for prom and promptly barfed it up. 

I went to an all-girls school too! Proms are weird when there are no guys at school.
    Sounds good to me!

My mom didn't get engaged, but pretty sure she got knocked up at her prom. Five of the seven "pompom girls" ended up pregnant her senior year. I think that was pretty awkward, too.

My prom was a total yawner. I went with a guy 4 inches shorter than me (6 with heals) & spilled a strawberry daiquiri down the front of my oh-so-(not)-stylish gray silk dress at dinner. Needless to say I didn't follow Ma's lead.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards