Wedding Etiquette Forum

Girl who shares my name and date

Re: Girl who shares my name and date

• So this is a pretty nice mirror, who wants to buy it for me?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Guys, I think I found the entrance to Narnia to go with that Wonderland mirror!  

If other Emily is lurking, she has most definitely added this to one or all five of her registries.
  • That better lead to Narnia it's the price of a house. A small house but still a house.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Guys, I think I found the entrance to Narnia to go with that Wonderland mirror!  

It ships in LESS than 73 days though!
  • I am the only one who sees zero issue with what OP is worrying about?
    As in you don't think she should worry about it, or you do think she should worry about it?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • 312Emily said:

I don't think people are just going to randomly click on the first name they see that matches; if they're savvy enough to be online shopping, they're savvy enough to check the details.
    I used to work for a major store doing mainly registries, and you have NO IDEA how often people would just choose the name at the top of the list they recognized and not look at anything else about it.  I'm serious, it almost go to be a serious problem at one point. People were either talking, or on their phone, or in a hurry, or just plain not paying attention. It didn't matter if the FI's name was different, they were in a different city or state, different wedding date...people just plain didn't read. We were always berated for not 'making sure' the customers had the right Jane Smith or John Jones, even though the kiosk was self serve and we had nothing to do with it until it was time to ring them up.

I love you guys, but sometimes you give other people way too much credit.
    Well, poop. This worries me. The last thing I need is guests buying something small off that registry and sending it to her, all the while thinking I'm a jerk for wanting a $2300 Henckels knife set or an $800 poker set. And then never getting thanked, because they sent a gift to a stranger.  Can you imagine how much you'd hate someone who registered for over $50k of home goods, buying something really small but affordable off their registry to be nice, and never being thanked? I'd personally cut ties with them.  And if this happens, my chances of knowing are not good.  And before, I thought it was more amusing than upsetting, but if what you say is true, we could end up inadvertently offending someone just because I share a name and wedding date with someone.  That's really upsetting.
    I think you are being paranoid and over thinking this.

Your friends and family will know that is not your registry because they know you and your family and social circle, right?

If I was coming to your wedding, and I knew you were a middle class or upper middle class gal, I would definitely know I had the wrong registry when a 27K mirror showed up. . . KWIM?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Inkdancer said:
    I am the only one who sees zero issue with what OP is worrying about?
    As in you don't think she should worry about it, or you do think she should worry about it?
    Meaning I don't think she should worry about it.  It doesn't really seem like an issue to me.  Like at all.

• Inkdancer said:
    Meaning I don't think she should worry about it.  It doesn't really seem like an issue to me.  Like at all.
    No, I don't think this is something she needs to worry about either.

Pretty sure her friends and family will know that's not her registry.  Plus, OP can always include registry inserts with her shower invitations.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Oooohhh...what if one of her guests mistakes you for her and sends you that $27K mirror.  Honeymoon in Wonderland!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Nope. Several of the rest of us agree.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
    Ok, I was just getting a little worried about some of the replies and people agreeing with OP that this is an issue she should be worrying about.  I guess I can never really understand worrying over things that you have zero control over.  Seems like a waste of time, IMO.

Ok, I was just getting a little worried about some of the replies and people agreeing with OP that this is an issue she should be worrying about.  I guess I can never really understand worrying over things that you have zero control over.  Seems like a waste of time, IMO.
    Yep. I refused to worry about things I couldn't control -- such as whether DH's parents would crash our wedding (they did), or whether his grandmother would dress appropriately (she didn't). I couldn't change the outcome, so worrying about it wouldn't have helped. 

Going into our wedding day, all the parts DH and I had control over -- the licence, our rings, our officiant, our ceremony, our vows, our reception -- were sorted and under control and ready to go. The things that were beyond our control were things I refused to worry about because I couldn't change it anyway.

I had contingency plans for everything short of the officiant dying en route to the ceremony (Catholic priest; would have been hard to replace him), so I knew we were good to go.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • CC0805CC0805 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    You guys really wouldn't side-eye a 27 thousand dollar mirror! 

The wine glasses and the hundreds of items are not an issue. But I can't get over that mirror.
    She might just have it on her registry so she can buy it after.
  • 312Emily312Emily member
    edited May 2014
    312Emily said:

I don't think people are just going to randomly click on the first name they see that matches; if they're savvy enough to be online shopping, they're savvy enough to check the details.
    I used to work for a major store doing mainly registries, and you have NO IDEA how often people would just choose the name at the top of the list they recognized and not look at anything else about it.  I'm serious, it almost go to be a serious problem at one point. People were either talking, or on their phone, or in a hurry, or just plain not paying attention. It didn't matter if the FI's name was different, they were in a different city or state, different wedding date...people just plain didn't read. We were always berated for not 'making sure' the customers had the right Jane Smith or John Jones, even though the kiosk was self serve and we had nothing to do with it until it was time to ring them up.

I love you guys, but sometimes you give other people way too much credit.
    Well, poop. This worries me. The last thing I need is guests buying something small off that registry and sending it to her, all the while thinking I'm a jerk for wanting a $2300 Henckels knife set or an $800 poker set. And then never getting thanked, because they sent a gift to a stranger.  Can you imagine how much you'd hate someone who registered for over $50k of home goods, buying something really small but affordable off their registry to be nice, and never being thanked? I'd personally cut ties with them.  And if this happens, my chances of knowing are not good.  And before, I thought it was more amusing than upsetting, but if what you say is true, we could end up inadvertently offending someone just because I share a name and wedding date with someone.  That's really upsetting.
    I think you are being paranoid and over thinking this.

Your friends and family will know that is not your registry because they know you and your family and social circle, right?

If I was coming to your wedding, and I knew you were a middle class or upper middle class gal, I would definitely know I had the wrong registry when a 27K mirror showed up. . . KWIM?
    I mean, yes, I think most people have a lot of common sense and it will be fine.  There's just always one person who makes a wrong turn.  Gossipy friend of my mom?  It could go badly. But I'm hoping it's a non-issue, and think it will be.  My wedding is small enough that our invitees should know who FI is.  And she's listed as from a state I'm not from (I'm registered in the state I live but grew up in another neighboring state that is not the neighboring state this girl is from).  That said, my name isn't that common, so it's pretty odd to have the same full name AND date as someone.
    edited May 2014
    There were two posters who said it could be an issue and most said probably not. I'm not thrilled to have another person with the same name and date who is clearly a little spendy, but obviously it's out of my control. FI's name is different, location is different, and our guests aren't stupid. But you never know. Someone not that savvy could make a mistake. It's probably a 1% chance. Oh well.

And then a good number of posts just snarked on the mirror, because who loves looking at themselves enough to spend what a car costs to check their lip gloss on their way out of the house in the morning?
  • 312Emily said:
    There were two posters who said it could be an issue and most said probably not. I'm not thrilled to have another person with the same name and date who is clearly a little spendy, but obviously it's out of my control. FI's name is different, location is different, and our guests aren't stupid. But you never know. Someone not that savvy could make a mistake. It's probably a 1% chance. Oh well.

And then a good number of posts just snarked on the mirror, because who loves looking at themselves enough to spend what a car costs to check their lip gloss on their way out of the house in the morning?
    I have tried to write this out a million different ways, but it's just not working for me tonight, so please don't anyone take what I am about to say as offensive:

OP, you and this other bride are clearly not in the same social class, and I'm assuming your guests are not either, so your guests are going to figure out very quickly that they have the wrong registry if they pull hers up.  I don't think any of them is going to mistake her registry for yours and judge you for it.

As far as the cost of the mirror on the other bride's registry. . . 27K is nothing to multi millionaires and multi billionaires.  I sure as hell don't have that kind of disposable income to spend on a mirror, but if someone else does, whatever.

edited May 2014
    312Emily said:

I have tried to write this out a million different ways, but it's just not working for me tonight, so please don't anyone take what I am about to say as offensive:

OP, you and this other bride are clearly not in the same social class, and I'm assuming your guests are not either, so your guests are going to figure out very quickly that they have the wrong registry if they pull hers up.  I don't think any of them is going to mistake her registry for yours and judge you for it.

As far as the cost of the mirror on the other bride's registry. . . 27K is nothing to multi millionaires and multi billionaires.  I sure as hell don't have that kind of disposable income to spend on a mirror, but if someone else does, whatever.
    Edit: Honestly, This thread was very much over. We were poking fun at mirrors. You and a couple other regulars came here, resurrected the content by asking questions and giving added advice, I answered that I felt it was a non-issue and had a very slim chance of becoming one. I'm not sure why that didn't satisfy you but I honestly do find the beat-down excessive and unnecessary, and yes, offensive.
    edited May 2014
    nvm, covered above.
  • 312Emily said:

You seem quite judgmental about a bride that you do not even know almost to the point that you sound jealous because she gets to register for a $27K mirror and you don't.  Why do you care so much about what she has registered for the and price tags associated with the items?  Focus on your registry and stop judging the hell out of this other girl.

• 312Emily said:
    312Emily said:

Edit: Honestly, This thread was very much over. We were poking fun at mirrors. You and a couple other regulars came here, resurrected the content by asking questions and giving added advice, I answered that I felt it was a non-issue and had a very slim chance of becoming one. I'm not sure why that didn't satisfy you but I honestly do find the beat-down excessive and unnecessary, and yes, offensive.
    Are you fucking kidding me?

No one, least of all me, is beating you down.  I came into this thread late and commented.  Didn't realize that was a crime.

Get over yourself.

• FiancBFiancB member
    I wouldn't worry too much. It's actually kind of hard to find couples in the wrong state for a lot of registries. We had an issue with both Target and Bed Bath & Beyond because we were originally going to get married in OR and that's what we registered as. After we moved it to MN, people couldn't find it because they were searching under MN, and we had to get it switched around. So I doubt that people will run into the wrong couple, and if they do they will notice the right fiance. Maybe you'll have like one or two people that will fall into the Darwin example, and if they talk about it others that pay attention will put them right. 

And I'm totally in the camp of I don't care how rich you are, those mirrors are just sickening...
  • That better lead to Narnia it's the price of a house. A small house but still a house.
    Actually, in my local area you could buy one of the simpler Victorians for the price of that wardrobe, and the mirror could get you a basic starter home, lol
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • FiancBFiancB member
    That better lead to Narnia it's the price of a house. A small house but still a house.
    Actually, in my local area you could buy one of the simpler Victorians for the price of that wardrobe, and the mirror could get you a basic starter home, lol
    Same! 
    Where is this magical land of houses I need to move to. I am used to NYC house prices.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Even with those crazy expensive registry items, you couldn't put 10% down on any houses in my area...
    ~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards