Moms and Maids

Gift for future mother-in-law--helppppppp!!!!

LadyBelle11LadyBelle11 member
5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
edited May 2014 in Moms and Maids
Help! I need some suggestions for a gift for my fiancé's mother for the wedding. I ordered handkerchiefs for my mother and father, but my fiancé's mother is NOT sentimental in any way, shape, or form (she already established that she will not be having a mother-son dance because it is "silly") . Everything to do with the wedding is a "waste of money," and I am so afraid of getting her something that will invite criticism from her. Does anyone have inspiration or ideas?

Re: Gift for future mother-in-law--helppppppp!!!!

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    Since she's so unappreciative of everything you want to do, I don't see that giving her any kind of gift will make her any different-especially of the gift.  I'd be prepared for her to run that down too as "a waste of time/money etc."
  • edited May 2014
    Your fi could give her a picture frame with a promise of a wedding picture. If that's too sentimental, he could get her something hobby related - gardening tools, a gift card to a knitting or sewing shop, scissors etc....

My MIL was a frugal, non-sentimental type who thought gifts were a waste of money. She preferred gift cards to the grocery store or pharmacy, book of stamps and stationery, dish towels. Very boring, but your FMIL might appreciate the same kind of gift. 

• I would leave her gift up to her son.  It is his Mother, not yours.

• Thanks, girls. I think putting the FI up to it is a good idea. I just wasn't sure about etiquette, and if I was required to give them something.
  • You are certainly not required to give them something.  H and I didn't give our parents anything but a huge thank you and big hugs.

• Typical gifts I've seen are photobooks from the wedding or a picture frame.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Firstly buy her something according to her age something that would be with her for a longer period of time, or may buy her a nice dress or and show piece that would be attractive. I hope you may like that idea.

• H wrote his mom a nice card for the wedding day, and we made a photo book after the wedding when pro pics came in. Agree to have your FI pick a gift for his mom, and end of the day if there is not a physical gift she will like then a card will be just fine!

Anniversary
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    We didn't give our parents gift.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards