Chit Chat

Do you wear your ring while travelling?

Re: Do you wear your ring while travelling?

• Wegl13Wegl13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Similar story to above but with a happier ending- mom lost her diamond at work (office setting) after wearing her engagement ring/wedding band/anniversary band (fused together) for over 35 years. She was lucky enough to retrace her steps and find the diamond but once she got it fixed she got herself two matching sterling silver bands and now only wears her wedding jewelry on special occasions. All the insurance in the world can't replace the sentiment of a piece of jewelry like that. Personally I've only been engaged for a month but quickly purchased the insurance. I have a habit of losing special pieces (my dad bought me a cross necklace I started wearing after getting baptized but I had to take it off daily due to special work requirements and I ended up losing it). I'm a vet so I can't wear my ring during surgery but I do wear it during almost everything else. I have a necklace that I NEVER take off so that I always have a safe place to put it (my future sister in law is a doctor and has already lectured me on places to not put your ring- like tied to your scrubs). However I do have plans on purchasing a simple sterling silver ring (wedding band is going to be matched to asymmetric engagement ring so it won't really work as a stand alone) for all of the following: out of country travel, future large animal work, and backpacking. All of those situations seem like high risk for, at the very least, WORRYING about losing my ring, so why bother? I definitely want a ring of some variety to wear though, partially because of the feel of the ring (it took about two days for "not wearing it" to feel weird) and partially because to me and to my fiancé, not having a band on when you are married and going about your day seems like you are lying about your marital status. We have even discussed tattoos for this reason (and safety) but haven't found anything not- tacky looking.
  • After the talk of cleaning our rings yesterday, I went home and stuck mine in the cleaner. Well, I forgot I did that and ended up leaving this morning without it. At least it will be very clean by the time I get home. Since I rarely take it off (literally only to clean it), I feel naked right now.

Can leaving it in the cleaner too long damage it?

• SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    The only time I take mine off is to clean it. I wear it in the shower, while doing my hair, to bed, etc. I also live in a high-crime metro area. I've traveled to South Africa and Costa Rica and I wore it on both trips. It even went swimming in the middle of the ocean with Great White Sharks with me :) It's insured and not a family heirloom so if something were to happen to it, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I feel safest with it on my finger than anywhere else. 

• I just can't understand how a pickpocket could remove my ring from my finger without me noticing--I feel safer with it on my finger than in a box at home! I only take mine off to shower and then I don't put it back on until I'm done applying hair products and lotion and such. If I was kneading bread or working with ground meat with my hands I would take it off as well. I wear gloves when I clean or wash dishes so I leave it on then too. My mom never takes hers off and actually can't take them off anymore--with age her knuckles have swollen and she can't get her ring over them anymore!
  • eg72 said:
    After the talk of cleaning our rings yesterday, I went home and stuck mine in the cleaner. Well, I forgot I did that and ended up leaving this morning without it. At least it will be very clean by the time I get home. Since I rarely take it off (literally only to clean it), I feel naked right now.

Can leaving it in the cleaner too long damage it?

I cleaned mine this morning too!

Also another funny story about losing your ring anywhere, my mom lost her diamond in the A & P one time and we found it on the other side of the store where we were. I was a little kid at the time and thought it was a big adventure, but I'm sure she was "oh shit"-ing the whole time.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • FutureMr&MrsGFutureMr&MrsG member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    @Jcbride2015 I actually had a dream that I was on a subway in the city and a lady wanted to see my ring, when I showed it to her she tried to pull it off my finger!
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    Could someone easily pickpocket a ring off someone? I know pickpockets are really good, but my knuckle is a bit bigger than my finger, so taking my ring off is no easy task. If I struggle doing it, then how can a pickpocket easily and secretly do it?

I take my ring off when I do dishes, when I weight-lift and when I'm elbow deep in bread dough or something. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I hardly ever take it off, except for when I go swimming (I fear losing it in the lake or pool), clean with harsh products, or to clean the ring itself.  I would wear it if I went traveling or on a busy subway.  It is not a giant, flashy rock hanging off my finger that I worry someone will spot and snatch off. 
  • Swazzle said:
    The only time I take mine off is to clean it. I wear it in the shower, while doing my hair, to bed, etc. I also live in a high-crime metro area. I've traveled to South Africa and Costa Rica and I wore it on both trips. It even went swimming in the middle of the ocean with Great White Sharks with me :) It's insured and not a family heirloom so if something were to happen to it, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I feel safest with it on my finger than anywhere else. 
    This x1000!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • AprilH81 said:
    I have a diamond stone, so I'm not worried about damage (plus it is insured).  I wear my ring 99% of the time.

If my fingers aren't swollen I will take them off when snorkeling...  If I'm doing something super duper messy (pizza dough) or dealing with harsh chemicals I will also take it off.

But I sleep with them on, shower with them on, clean with them on...  No harm has come to them so far.  
    I don't wear my ring in the shower or while applying makeup, nor in the bolded situations, nor at the gym if I am going to be working with weight machines.  I don't typically wear it at night because it really makes my finger swell then.

I'm curious about the concerns over rings being pick- pocketed in Europe while you are wearing them. . . is that really even possible?  I can understand having wallets, watches, purses, etc. stolen as they are easier to remove.  But can a person really remove a snugly fitted ring from your finger w/o you noticing?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• MrsAitch said:
    I just can't understand how a pickpocket could remove my ring from my finger without me noticing--I feel safer with it on my finger than in a box at home! I only take mine off to shower and then I don't put it back on until I'm done applying hair products and lotion and such. If I was kneading bread or working with ground meat with my hands I would take it off as well. I wear gloves when I clean or wash dishes so I leave it on then too. My mom never takes hers off and actually can't take them off anymore--with age her knuckles have swollen and she can't get her ring over them anymore!
    They don't need to do it without you noticing. When I was in Paris, a panhandler came up to me in the tunnel to get to the Arc de Triomph, grabbed my hand and immediately started tying a friendship bracelet on it and talking to me in French. I pulled my arm back, pulled off the bracelet and gave it back to him. A local later told me he would have stolen any jewelry I had on my hand if I'd given him the chance to finish talking, or at least held onto my arm until I paid him some ungodly amount for the string bracelet that I now couldn't get off. 

The rule of thumb when traveling in any dangerous place is to not let yourself look like a target. If you have an expensive ring on, you will be targeted to have your wallet stolen, even if they don't steal the ring. And yes, statistically you're a lot more prone to be pick-pocketed as a tourist in a major European city than at home in the burbs. Tourists stick out like a sore thumb. (So this goes along with not walking around staring at a map, or taking pictures of everything, or generally being unaware of your surroundings.) I'm just not going to go around flashing a 1.5 carat rock and give anyone reason to think I've got loads of cash worth stealing. I don't carry a lot of cash on me, but it's not worth losing my ID and credit cards or camera over, either. And if I leave it in the hotel, I don't trust any maid to not try and crack the hotel safe. If I'm walking around Detroit and feel uncomfortable, I'll turn it diamond-side in and ball my hand into a fist. 

I bought my car to drive it, but I'm not going to leave it out in a hail storm, or park it in a dark alley in a bad neighborhood, or leave a laptop sitting on the seat as an invitation to break the window. I'm not paranoid about it all the time, but I use some common sense.

• STIB
    You're free to think it's ridiculous... won't change anything. Sure, likely nothing will happen to it, and nobody's saying it's a ridiculous idea TO bring it. But there are dozens of reasons why it makes sense to leave valuable things at home. I don't want to have to take it off to go through airport security, worry about falling asleep on the train and someone taking it, make ourselves appear to be wealthy by wearing a valuable ring and become easy targets for criminals - maybe they see it and know they can't get to the ring, but think I must have a lot of money in my purse and steal that. If it did get stolen, I would be completely up a creek trying to get a police report to give the insurance company to prove it since I don't speak enough Spanish. If we had to have it replaced, it wouldn't have the same sentimental value to me. It won't hurt anything to leave it at home. I won't be any less married, and FI knows it's not because I don't love my ring. 
    I have only travelled in the States so far, but I have never had to take off my e-ring.  I have never needed to take off my watch either.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• MrsAitch said:
    I just can't understand how a pickpocket could remove my ring from my finger without me noticing--I feel safer with it on my finger than in a box at home! I only take mine off to shower and then I don't put it back on until I'm done applying hair products and lotion and such. If I was kneading bread or working with ground meat with my hands I would take it off as well. I wear gloves when I clean or wash dishes so I leave it on then too. My mom never takes hers off and actually can't take them off anymore--with age her knuckles have swollen and she can't get her ring over them anymore!
    They don't need to do it without you noticing. When I was in Paris, a panhandler came up to me in the tunnel to get to the Arc de Triomph, grabbed my hand and immediately started tying a friendship bracelet on it and talking to me in French. I pulled my arm back, pulled off the bracelet and gave it back to him. A local later told me he would have stolen any jewelry I had on my hand if I'd given him the chance to finish talking, or at least held onto my arm until I paid him some ungodly amount for the string bracelet that I now couldn't get off. 

The rule of thumb when traveling in any dangerous place is to not let yourself look like a target. If you have an expensive ring on, you will be targeted to have your wallet stolen, even if they don't steal the ring. And yes, statistically you're a lot more prone to be pick-pocketed as a tourist in a major European city than at home in the burbs. Tourists stick out like a sore thumb. (So this goes along with not walking around staring at a map, or taking pictures of everything, or generally being unaware of your surroundings.) I'm just not going to go around flashing a 1.5 carat rock and give anyone reason to think I've got loads of cash worth stealing. I don't carry a lot of cash on me, but it's not worth losing my ID and credit cards or camera over, either. And if I leave it in the hotel, I don't trust any maid to not try and crack the hotel safe. If I'm walking around Detroit and feel uncomfortable, I'll turn it diamond-side in and ball my hand into a fist.   I do this too!  I don't live in nor do I plan on visiting Detroit though ;-)

I bought my car to drive it, but I'm not going to leave it out in a hail storm, or park it in a dark alley in a bad neighborhood, or leave a laptop sitting on the seat as an invitation to break the window. I'm not paranoid about it all the time, but I use some common sense.
    That's creepy.  I don't let people get that close to me.  I'm constantly watching my personal space and watching for anyone, especially if they are shady, that is trying to get into my personal space.

As an American overseas (or any western traveler visiting a foreign country), you are going to be targeted by riff raff no matter if you are wearing jewelry or not, carrying a map, taking pictures, with a tour group, etc.  and some countries have a worse reputation for pick pockets, muggers, and thieves. . . like Spain and Italy, I believe.

I'd definitely rather wear my ring than leave it in a hotel, even in a safe.  I don't do that over here in the States.

• So rule of thumb when travelling overseas...dress like a bum, don't take pictures, don't carry a map, and buy a cheap flip phone so you don't look like you have money or are a tourist.  Awesome.

• I wear my e-ring at all times unless I'm cooking something messy or taking a shower. I also take it off if I'm applying lotion or hand sanitizer. I absolutely plan on wearing both my rings when we travel and on the HM. Even though my ring is insured, FI and I are both very paranoid about losing the centerstone because it is a family heirloom (his great-grandmother's diamond) so I am constantly checking to make sure it isn't loose and I take it into the jewelers often to check as well. I would be even more paranoid about losing my ring though if it wasn't on my finger, therefore it always stays on.
    Anniversary

• So rule of thumb when travelling overseas...dress like a bum, don't take pictures, don't carry a map, and buy a cheap flip phone so you don't look like you have money or are a tourist.  Awesome.
    It's an undeniable fact that tourists are targeted. Every resource says not to flash valuables. That doesn't mean "nobody in Europe can ever wear jewelry ever;" obviously that's ridiculous. But when you add up EVERY trademark of a tourist, you are more likely to get ripped off. You just need to limit the tourist cliches you indulge at any given moment.

It's an undeniable fact that tourists are targeted. Every resource says not to flash valuables. That doesn't mean "nobody in Europe can ever wear jewelry ever;" obviously that's ridiculous. But when you add up EVERY trademark of a tourist, you are more likely to get ripped off. You just need to limit the tourist cliches you indulge at any given moment.
    Or you be the tourist you want to be AND keep an eye on yourself, your belongings, your personal space, etc when you travel.  You can still be a tourist but still protect yourself as well.  People don't stop being vigilant just because they are travelling.  

• SwazzleSwazzle member
    I'm sorry but I still think not wearing your rings while travelling abroad is ridiculous.  If you are aware of your surroundings then you know to be cautious, but then again, that is what insurance is for so that if anything does happen to your ring it can be replaced.  I just think people take things a bit over board when it comes to wearing them certain places and doing certain things with them on, etc. If you are that concerned about your rings then why have them in the first place?

STIB
    You're free to think it's ridiculous... won't change anything. Sure, likely nothing will happen to it, and nobody's saying it's a ridiculous idea TO bring it. But there are dozens of reasons why it makes sense to leave valuable things at home. I don't want to have to take it off to go through airport security, worry about falling asleep on the train and someone taking it, make ourselves appear to be wealthy by wearing a valuable ring and become easy targets for criminals - maybe they see it and know they can't get to the ring, but think I must have a lot of money in my purse and steal that. If it did get stolen, I would be completely up a creek trying to get a police report to give the insurance company to prove it since I don't speak enough Spanish. If we had to have it replaced, it wouldn't have the same sentimental value to me. It won't hurt anything to leave it at home. I won't be any less married, and FI knows it's not because I don't love my ring. 
    Yea, your ring isn't setting off the metal detector so I don't know why you'd need to take it off to go through security.

• Swazzle said:
    I'm sorry but I still think not wearing your rings while travelling abroad is ridiculous.  If you are aware of your surroundings then you know to be cautious, but then again, that is what insurance is for so that if anything does happen to your ring it can be replaced.  I just think people take things a bit over board when it comes to wearing them certain places and doing certain things with them on, etc. If you are that concerned about your rings then why have them in the first place?

STIB
    Yea, your ring isn't setting off the metal detector so I don't know why you'd need to take it off to go through security.
    Maybe Detroit Metro is super vigilant about it, but they've made me take EVERY piece of metal off when I go through there and put it through the x-ray machine. Coins out of pockets, all jewelry off, etc. Everything in the bins. Get a nice little reach around if there's a button on your jeans. Lord help you if there's a bobby pin in your hair when you go through the body scan. I'll have to see when I go visit Blucifer in a couple weeks.

• Swazzle said:

STIB
    Maybe Detroit Metro is super vigilant about it, but they've made me take EVERY piece of metal off when I go through there and put it through the x-ray machine. Coins out of pockets, all jewelry off, etc. Everything in the bins. Get a nice little reach around if there's a button on your jeans. Lord help you if there's a bobby pin in your hair when you go through the body scan. I'll have to see when I go visit Blucifer in a couple weeks.
    Lol, it's Detroit so I assume they make everyone go through metal detectors and strip down to nothing all of the time.

• I do not wear my ring to bed, in the shower, when I work out, or when I'm doing something 'messy' (cooking, gardening, etc). 

Anniversary
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    Swazzle said:

STIB
    Huh that's crazy!

• I work in a hardware store - crushed two fingers, broken six - then do martial arts and roller derby - no jewelry allowed at all, bruised hands, dislocated knuckles, broken hand - then help DF on cars - icky, smashed my fingers, cuts. My hands are so beat up. No e ring here! Plus, best part is that money is going to get all the trim and floors in our new to us house back to the gorgeous wood they are under 12 layers of paint. We'll do the sealing, but there's a lot of lead paint and I'm looking forward to starting a family, so we won't risk the lead and it's getting gone. Heck, I love my wedding band. Titanium with carbon fiber inlay and purple enamel in the engraving. But, i will not wear it often either. Jeweler offers free yearly re-enamel and polishing, so it's not the scuffs. It's the challenge to remove the ring quickly when I hurt my hand again. Which applies to any ring, any ER can remove titanium rings if they can remove grade 8 nuts/washers/bolts or 10.8 metric.
    What is the point of that whole paragraph?  Because it sounds snarky like those of us who have e-rings wasted our money.  It might not be your intention, but that what is sounds like. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Swazzle said:

STIB
    I went through and I had a bunch of pins in my hair. OH MY GOD I hate detroit metro
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I don't shower, clean house, or sleep in my ring. I also take it off for cooking/baking. Otherwise, it is on my finger. I feel naked without it now!

I am looking forward to having my wedding band. My ring is set so high that it catches in my hair/clothes a lot if I'm doing heavy work (part of my job is packaging and shipping). The band without a stone will be nice to wear on days I know I'll be doing a lot of heavy lifting.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • larrygaga said:
    Swazzle said:

STIB
    I went through and I had a bunch of pins in my hair. OH MY GOD I hate detroit metro

SITB:  Really you guys?!  I'm a bit late to the thread, sorry, but this is interesting to me.  Detroit is my home airport and I've never had any issues like this.  What do you do about piercings if your bobby pins and jean buttons set off the detectors!  I've never had to take jewelry off, I usually don't have to take off my jacket/hoodie, and I usually leave my liquids/laptop inside the carry on because more than likely then not they don't ask me to take them out.  So with all that, I've always thought of DTW as pretty lax.  I guess maybe it is a random search thing? 
    The toughest airport I've been to was Israel- they basically do strip search you, after a thorough interrogation.  I was kind of scared!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fiance took off what will be his wedding ring (it was his grandfather's; he wore it on his right hand) while going through security last year. He had my engagement ring in his carry-on, and was really worried about keeping track of that. He left his ring in the little bowl, and didn't realize it until we were at the next airport on a lay-over. We had to track down the number for the lost and found at the first airport, and then he had to pick it up when he got back. That made for some panicked moments!
  • PSA for you folks that wear your rings in the pool and/or cleaning: Gold is a porous metal. Chlorine, even the small amount in a swimming pool, and other caustic chemicals attack it on an atomic level and leave the normally ductile metal brittle. I see the results at least once a week. It can pit the surfaces of the ring, and worse, cause prongs and shanks to shear in pieces.

I couldn't imagine swimming with mine on anyway. I'd be so fucking paranoid that they'd slip off. I try not to even get my hands wet with them on, since not drying underneath thoroughly enough can result in scaly red patches of skin.
  • larrygaga said:
    Swazzle said:

STIB

SITB:  Really you guys?!  I'm a bit late to the thread, sorry, but this is interesting to me.  Detroit is my home airport and I've never had any issues like this.  What do you do about piercings if your bobby pins and jean buttons set off the detectors!  I've never had to take jewelry off, I usually don't have to take off my jacket/hoodie, and I usually leave my liquids/laptop inside the carry on because more than likely then not they don't ask me to take them out.  So with all that, I've always thought of DTW as pretty lax.  I guess maybe it is a random search thing? 
    The toughest airport I've been to was Israel- they basically do strip search you, after a thorough interrogation.  I was kind of scared!
    Whaaaat?? I'm with carliealissa on this one. I live in the Detroit area as well, and have to fly a few times a year for my job, and I have never been asked to take my jewellery off.

As far as the main topic, my rings almost never come off my finger. When I wash my hair I do take them out so it won't get caught, and when I take my kung fu class I take the engagement ring off so as not to hurt anyone with it (wedding ring stays on), but part of my reason for this is because of how much I value it. If I took it on and off for sleep, washing dishes, cooking, cleaning, gardening, traveling, swimming, etc, I know I would eventually lose it, or it would get stolen. I really feel that for me it's safest on my finger. My mom did the same thing her whole life and the diamond never popped out. Sooo.. fingers crossed!
  • I travel all over the world. I usually wear my rings and if I feel we're in an area that is somewhat unsafe, I flip my diamond toward my palm. FWIW- both my e-ring and band are eternity bands and I have a somewhat sizeable diamond and I still wear them. I do not wear them when I sleep, shower, or work out at the gym.

However, I really responded because I have to have another biopsy this week and can't wear my rings. So, I am just bummed about all of that. Lol

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards