Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NER (maybe): Am I just being judgey?

A FB acquaintance of mine is getting married around the middle of next month -- June 21.

TODAY, she changed all her social media accounts to her married name -- Bride FISurname. I noticed because she liked a photo of mine on Instagram and I didn't recognise the username (my IG is protected so only approved friends can see it.)

Her new IG handle is mrssusiejones. OK.

So then I look at her IG/FB accounts (I don't follow her on IG and I have her hidden on FB) and she's been wearing a knock-off kate spade 'mrs' necklace since Easter ('Look what the Easter Bunny brought me!' was the caption on that photo.)

Am I judgey or is this weird?

DH thinks they're already married and the wedding next month is a PPD. They got engaged around the same time we did, and it really bugged her that we got married first.

Because obviously it's a competition. (sarcasm)
Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'

Re: NER (maybe): Am I just being judgey?

• Options
    A google search of public records might answer your questions if it's a PPD.

Is this the girl who you have pay for your own meal?   If yes, you might be a little judgey but based on past behavior it's to be expected.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I think it's super awkward.
  • Options
    delujm0delujm0 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

i think it's pretty weird, an it would grate me a bit, but whatever.  i got a "Mrs. FILastName" hoodie to wear at our brunch the day after the wedding (because i think it's funny), but i'm not wearing it around right now (nor will i probably wear it publically at all after the brunch).  i can't even bring myself to make our honeymoon arrangements in my "new" name even though for hotels and tours it doesn't really matter.  i just feel like it's bad luck.

I guess technically it would only be a pure PPD if she was hiding the fact that she was already legally married? but if she is in fact already married, at least she basically announced it before conning her family and friends into watching a fake re-enactment? :-)

• Options
    It's wierd...she may just be overly excited and getting ahead of herself but even then it would be strange.
  • Options
    I think it's strange to say the least. My friend's fiance (now wife) did that months before their wedding. It was made even more awkward (although friggin hilarious) when she posted a status about "Marrying XXX in 2 weeks" and someone asked if she was marrying her cousin. Her reply was an indignant "No I just changed it to see how it looked"....um what?
  • Options
    I would be judgey too. I think it is inappropriate to say your a wife before you are. I really hate when guys call their gf "wifey". FI's friend is guilty of this and it drives me nuts! 
  • Options
    Weird... but I wouldn't think it necessarily meant a PPD. Especially with the whole (often annoying) trend of people calling each other "wifey" or "hubby" when they're not. 

• Options
    My cousin has had ~*MrS ____*~ as her text signature for like 3 years now. It's ridiculous. I have no idea if they still consider themselves engaged, and there are definitely no plans to marry in the future.

I'm not into that shit at all.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    My XH's cousin basically did this.  They got married in a JOP ceremony secretly, but she got sick of keeping a secret and then she randomly changed her name and her relationship status to married and this happened a couple months before the PPD.
    sexy, harry styles, best song ever, cute, beautiful, asdjglñlñ, marcel
  • Options
    Yep its weird...really weird....:/
    Anniversary
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

A google search of public records might answer your questions if it's a PPD.

Is this the girl who you have pay for your own meal?   If yes, you might be a little judgey but based on past behavior it's to be expected.
    No, different friend. I have a lot of weird friends.

I searched our online public records and saw where they applied for a licence, but not where one was filed yet.

On the other hand, our county isn't known for its timeliness of updating things either. Our marriage licence was listed online in December, more than two months after our wedding.

DH and I aren't invited to this wedding -- and I didn't expect to be, because we're passing acquaintances -- so whether it's a PPD or not doesn't affect me/us, so I don't care.

DH, who knows her better than I do, says her family is SUPER religious and basically strong-armed the couple into having a religious wedding even though they're not religious under threat of her whole family boycotting the wedding. He thinks they did a JOP first and the religious ceremony is just for show.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Super weird and I would be judging all of that too.

• Options
    KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Yeah, I'd be judging the shit out of that. It's weird.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I'm judging right along with you. It's weird. 
  • Options
    I'm getting married on Saturday and I really want to change my name on Facebook, but I'm not going to and my wedding is only 2 days away. I think it's weird that she would change it so soon. 
  • Options
    Ditto - I'm judging, it's weird, AND immature.  Like, stop.  Your day will come.  You just sit down and wait.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    beethery said:
    My cousin has had ~*MrS ____*~ as her text signature for like 3 years now. It's ridiculous. I have no idea if they still consider themselves engaged, and there are definitely no plans to marry in the future.

Is your cousin 14? I didn't know people still did text signatures, especially not ones with squigglies and ~*AlTeRnAtInG cApItAl LeTtErS.*~  Holy shit that was exhausting to type.
  • Options

Confession.  One week before my wedding I was at the mall picking up my champagne flutes and there was a Costco table signing up memberships for the new store that would be opening 4 months later (first Costco in my state).  I signed up with my soon-to-be new married name because I was in pre-wedding excitement and couldn't help myself, lol :).

Even funnier, when I discovered after the wedding what a PITA it is to change my name legally, I still hadn't bothered by the time the store opened and I needed to get my membership card.  Luckily, they had no issue with my bringing them my license and a copy of my marriage certificate.

Back to the OP.  I read it more as she is excited to be getting married and is just seriously jumping the gun.  A bit odd, but I could see it.  I know I had some moments of insanity when I wanted to run out and buy all this monogrammed stuff and "Mrs" this and "Mrs" that...ie "Oh, I simply must have the custom hanger with Mrs DHname,"  AND then I came back to my senses.  If I've rarely wanted/bought anything monogrammed in my life so far, why would I do it now? lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That is totally weird. I got a MRS shirt for Christmas that I didn't wear until October. Calm the fuck down. 

I honestly can't stand when people say "the future Mrs. Whoever" like we get it (IRL, obviously not here). 
  • Options
    And I totally get being excited. DH called me his 'almost-wife' for much of our engagement because he was so excited. I thought that was adorable.

I can be judgey so I wanted outside opinions on if this is weird or not. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's weird.
    Anniversary

• Options
    One of my friends actually refused to update her Facebook to her new last name until she had filed the marriage license and started the process to get her SS card. Because it wasn't official and she wasn't going to be doing things unofficially.

I just thought it was adorable. FI says as soon as the ring is on her hand she's Mrs. MagicInk and is changing everything. I also find that adorable.
  • Options
    beethery said:

Is your cousin 14? I didn't know people still did text signatures, especially not ones with squigglies and ~*AlTeRnAtInG cApItAl LeTtErS.*~  Holy shit that was exhausting to type.
    Nope, she's 24 and has a 7mo with her shitty BF. Grown-ups! Yay! I am mimicking my signature gif about their situation right now.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    beethery said:

beethery said:

Nope, she's 24 and has a 7mo with her shitty BF. Grown-ups! Yay! I am mimicking my signature gif about their situation right now.

Dang. I'm 24 and have a 7 month old. I can't imagine have ~*MrS.aNyThInG*~ on any signature.

• Options
    Very weird and annoying!

I also hate when people refer to their BF/FI as "hubby"

Anniversary
  • Options
    Ditto - I'm judging, it's weird, AND immature.  Like, stop.  Your day will come.  You just sit down and wait.
    Ditto. 

• Options
    My bad, she's 25. Maybe when you hit 25 you'll have an IRRESISTIBLE URGE to do an alternating caps text signature.

When I was 25 I didn't have any kind of relationship, so I didn't get the altcaps symptoms.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards