Wedding Etiquette Forum

Having people write their addresses for their own thank you cards at the wedding

So I'm going back and forth on this idea. I've seen it used a lot at baby showers. I have addresses from sending out the invites but I know people move around and I want to make sure I have the most updated addresses of everyone who is attending our wedding and sending a gift.I'm leaning towards setting up a station at the wedding where people write their address on the envelope or postcard for the thank you that the we will be sending.

I'm wondering what the etiquette on this is? I'm leaning toward rather setting up the station than attempting to bug everyone post wedding once again for addresses...

Thoughts...

Re: Having people write their addresses for their own thank you cards at the wedding

• Please don't..its rude. Take the time and write them yourself. You already have their addresses from wedding invites. Its lazy and sloppy.
    Anniversary
  • Please don't do this! It's rude. 
    Any time I've been asked to do this, I've been very irritated by it. If I come to your shower and bring you a gift, you can address an envelope to me. I shouldn't have to do it myself. 
  • It's rude.  These people took the time to share their day with you both and brought y'all a present.  The last you can do is write and address the thank you cards yourself.  It doesn't take that long.
  • taragaltaragal member
    First Comment
    Fair enough! Thanks!
  • taragal said:

So I'm going back and forth on this idea. I've seen it used a lot at baby showers. I have addresses from sending out the invites but I know people move around and I want to make sure I have the most updated addresses of everyone who is attending our wedding and sending a gift.I'm leaning towards setting up a station at the wedding where people write their address on the envelope or postcard for the thank you that the we will be sending.

I'm wondering what the etiquette on this is? I'm leaning toward rather setting up the station than attempting to bug everyone post wedding once again for addresses...

Thoughts...
    Don't do it, it's rude.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Just saw that you want to do this at your wedding. Again, please don't do this!
  • KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Well, invites go out 6-8 weeks before the wedding. I find it highly unlikely that the majority of your guests have moved within that short timeframe and even then most will have their mail forwarded to the new address, so I wouldn't worry about that at all. I definitely wouldn't ask people to address their own envelopes. It might give them the impression that you want to put in the least amount of effort possible to properly thank them for their gifts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• If your invitations went out 2 months before your wedding, how many people do you think are moving. Most people forward their mail if they move, which forwards up to a year to their new address. Don't do this.

• TACKY !

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Question, how did you invite these people to your wedding? Telepathically? 
    On a serious note, you had their address to invite them right? So why do you need them to re-write something you already have?

This is the dumbest part of the whole "write your address thing." Umm you just managed to invite via mail these people 8 weeks prior. You can manage to write their address one more time. 

It's tacky. I once moved shortly after a wedding this summer, and the bride simply texted me to ask how she should get a thank you note to me. It's not that hard to be appropriate here.  
  • taragaltaragal member
    First Comment
    taragal said:
    Fair enough! Thanks!
     I've never been married. I don't know ANYTHING about weddings (obviously) and I asked this question to get feedback coming from a place of no experience of wedding etiquette. - not to be scrutinized. I saw a picture or two of a cute set up where they had people do this and thought I would ask the question.Thank you for making it clear that I can probably never post on this blog again.

I get it. Thanks.
  • taragal said:

taragal said:

Fair enough! Thanks!

I've never been married. I don't know ANYTHING about weddings (obviously) and I asked this question to get feedback coming from a place of no experience of wedding etiquette. - not to be scrutinized. I saw a picture or two of a cute set up where they had people do this and thought I would ask the question.Thank you for making it clear that I can probably never post on this blog again.

I get it. Thanks.

• taragal said:
    taragal said:
    Fair enough! Thanks!

I get it. Thanks.
    You can still post here! It's all good, people were just remarking on stuff they've seen. 

The snark doesn't apply to you, you haven't made an etiquette blunder just by asking.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• taragaltaragal member
    First Comment
    Yes I did bc after I said thanks there were 8 more freaking posts
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It's rude. You can take the time to write out their addresses.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • taragal said:
    All ya did was ask, PLUS, you did awesome by not saying ITS MY DAY IM GONNA DO WHAT I WANT.

You did good. Plusplus, all posters don't necessarily read through and see that answers have been given and politely accepted. Don't take off, we don't hate you!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• All of what PP said. That was just weird. It's not a problem asking. But people keep answering both because stuff doesn't update and for lurkers.
  • taragal said:
    You do know that there isn't a limit to how many people can respond to your post.

Also, some posters respond to your question without reading what else has already been posted.

You need to chill.

• You know what might be a good alternative since it sounds like you really just want updated addresses, is having a roladex or address book instead of a guest book? 

But it doesn't really make sense to be because won't you have already sent them invites to your wedding?
  • Also, no one wants their thank you note addressed to them in their own handwriting. This isn't a dental appointment reminder.

• @taragal all weddings I've been to have a Guest Book and that book always has a space for address.  If you're really concerned, just make sure your GB includes that.  It'll be fine, no worries! 

• Also, no one wants their thank you note addressed to them in their own handwriting. This isn't a dental appointment reminder.
    Your dentist makes you address your own appointment reminders? Mine addresses it for me. Well, it's printed on there. I'm assuming there some kind of mail merge that happens.
  • MagicInk said:
    Also, no one wants their thank you note addressed to them in their own handwriting. This isn't a dental appointment reminder.
    Your dentist makes you address your own appointment reminders? Mine addresses it for me. Well, it's printed on there. I'm assuming there some kind of mail merge that happens.
    Actually, there's a psychology at work there when you address your own dental reminder. You're actively making a commitment to show up on x date and offices that do this have seen reduced cancellations. Neato! 

• My dentist emails me. Like, constantly. 
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Yet another bad idea perpetuated by Pinterest.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards