Chit Chat

How do you dress for work?

13»

Re: How do you dress for work?

• This is so much fun! I love hearing about clothes- but I'm enjoying the insights about people's lives even more. This is great! Thanks everyone for sharing!
    Me too! This is like...one of my favorite threads.

I swear I have no sense of style, but I love to talk about and look at clothes. 
  • MagicInk said:
    This is so much fun! I love hearing about clothes- but I'm enjoying the insights about people's lives even more. This is great! Thanks everyone for sharing!

@MagicInk - I have a sense of style- it just doesn't correspond with my life or my body type! But I love talking about them and looking at them too!

All of the clothes talk also brings me back to my 1001 questions about tattoos in a professional environment. I'm thinking about a post about best places for tattoos - and how to choose a great tattoo artist. I have an idea for a tattoo but don't know how to choose an artist or an ideal location. I think you've probably seen it all!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Even though I'm home right now, I haven't gotten out of the habit of wearing dresses or skirts every day. Today's "casual Friday" so I'm wearing a denim dress and patterned tights. I love wearing dresses. Even when I don't "have to", I prefer them.

(This is mostly because I gain all my weight in my stomach. For pants to fit my waist, they have to be 5 sizes too big in the legs, or sit under my tummy so I have permanent muffin top.)
    eyeroll
  • I'm a grad student and work in a research lab. I dress pretty much the same as @phira. I have to wear closed-toe and closed-heel shoes, my legs need to be covered, and long necklaces and bracelets get in the way. I usually wear jeans or slacks, a nice top, and a cardigan. My office is really cold, but once I'm in the lab with my protective gear on it gets really hot, so I leave the cardigan in the office. I wear flats in the summer, boots in the winter. I occasionally will wear wedges or "sturdy" heels. I can get away with skirts or dresses if I'm wearing boots, because the boots and the protective gown cover my legs. 

I usually wear a little makeup. I used to straighten or style my hair everyday, but I have to shower, including washing my hair, when I move between some research facilities, so I mostly have wild, wavy hair now.

Anniversary
  • sarawifenowsarawifenow member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014

My job requires full on business attire. Suits, dresses, cardigans, slacks...the works. I wear heels everyday and do not come to work without my hair and makeup fully done. Sometimes it is a pain, but as a young female in a field dominated by men, I need all the extra help to be taken seriously.

ETF: spelling

• Scrubs. :) I love wearing seasonal ones (Christmas, Valentines, Packers for game days). They are so comfy and picking out what to wear everyday is so easy. I met FI in the hospital lab and we hardly see each other in anything but scrubs. He jokes that I am "dressed up" when I wear jeans. @Lizm61409 and @schramm2407 Wahoo scrubs!
  • my two tattoos are almost 100% shown everyday at work. Unless my cardigan or sweater has sleeves all the way down.  But normally I get warm enough that the sleeves get pushed up or comes off all together.  Besides, it helps my street cred when the teens see my Hunger Games tattoo...

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • debmonn said:
    my two tattoos are almost 100% shown everyday at work. Unless my cardigan or sweater has sleeves all the way down.  But normally I get warm enough that the sleeves get pushed up or comes off all together.  Besides, it helps my street cred when the teens see my Hunger Games tattoo...
    All of my librarian friends are covered in tattoos! I love them but I work in an very conservative field and come from a very conservative (about tattoos only!) family. I go to a lot of events where I need to dress up in front of clients and coworkers so my tattoos need to be restricted to places that don't normally get seen. For instance, while I'd love a tattoo on my shoulder, I know that most of my dresses would show it.

I'd love to be someone who was confident enough to rock whatever artwork I love but I'm always anxious about the decision becoming a career-limiting move.
  • debmonn said:
    my two tattoos are almost 100% shown everyday at work. Unless my cardigan or sweater has sleeves all the way down.  But normally I get warm enough that the sleeves get pushed up or comes off all together.  Besides, it helps my street cred when the teens see my Hunger Games tattoo...
    All of my librarian friends are covered in tattoos! I love them but I work in an very conservative field and come from a very conservative (about tattoos only!) family. I go to a lot of events where I need to dress up in front of clients and coworkers so my tattoos need to be restricted to places that don't normally get seen. For instance, while I'd love a tattoo on my shoulder, I know that most of my dresses would show it.

I'd love to be someone who was confident enough to rock whatever artwork I love but I'm always anxious about the decision becoming a career-limiting move.
    Mid-back (kind of where your bra hits) is a good place to get a tattoo to cover easily. It's also harder to show too. The nape of your neck isn't bad, but it does mean longer hair/wearing your hair down. And while they do have the "tramp stamp" label, lower back tats are easy to hide. Oh and of course tattoos on your side. In less you wear crop tops to work.

I always have the hardest time coming up with "good places to hide a tattoo" because I've never thought about it! Heck if I didn't show my tattoos I'd probably get eye brow raises. 

FI wants one on her thumb, she says she'll just wear a thumb ring to cover it when she needs too. 
  • MagicInk said:
    This is so much fun! I love hearing about clothes- but I'm enjoying the insights about people's lives even more. This is great! Thanks everyone for sharing!

@MagicInk - I have a sense of style- it just doesn't correspond with my life or my body type! But I love talking about them and looking at them too!

All of the clothes talk also brings me back to my 1001 questions about tattoos in a professional environment. I'm thinking about a post about best places for tattoos - and how to choose a great tattoo artist. I have an idea for a tattoo but don't know how to choose an artist or an ideal location. I think you've probably seen it all!
    I meant to quote this one...but oh well. As for picking an artist, I suggest shopping around. Stop into some local shops and ask to see the artists' work. Everyone has something different they're really good at doing or something they kind of specialize in. You can even call the shop ahead of time and make an appointment to meet with an artist and have them draw up what you want.

Look for reviews on line and ask around of people you know to find reviews of tattoo shops. Make sure where you go is clean and that they use new needles. They should let you watch them open them. Be concered if they don't.
  • I have a BIG tattoo on my left upper thigh. It has smaller tattoos on either side of it. I also have a tattoo on top of my left foot. I've had the thigh tattoos since 2009, and I got the foot tattoo in 2011. I lived with my parents at the time, and they have never seen any of them. I have a very small tattoo on the lower left side of my back, and my parents have seen that one exactly one time. I wear pants or long shorts all the time because I hate that my thighs rub together when I walk, and I get rub rash just from thinking about it.

They are super fucking judgy about tattoos, among other things, and I don't care to hear it, so i just exclude them from parts of my life or decisions I make where I don't need their input.

Obviously, my vote for places tattoos will not get seen by most people: upper thigh area.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I never really understand (for me) getting a tattoo in a spot that I can't see. The tattoo is for me and I would be sad if I couldn't see it!  That said, I would love to get a sepia toned doily inspired tattoo on my shoulder or a small sepia bee somewhere....

• debmonn said:

Yeah, its generally accepted that librarians are a strange lot who do and wear strange things (especially if you're moving away for the "old" stereotype). When I got my nose pierced this winter my bosses never commented on it and some of my coworkers took days to mention it because they thought I've had it all along.

• debmonn said:
    I never really understand (for me) getting a tattoo in a spot that I can't see. The tattoo is for me and I would be sad if I couldn't see it!  That said, I would love to get a sepia toned doily inspired tattoo on my shoulder or a small sepia bee somewhere....
    At my uh... old job lol, I saw my tattoos all the time. Now, I have weird dreams about them coming off sometimes!

I plan to get more frequently visible tattoos soon. I am big into bees as well, so I'm probably going to get one small bee on the outsides of each of my wrists within the next couple of years.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I have one on my left foot that I can choose to be seen or cover up. Kids at school have seen it and asked about it. Sometimes I joke and say "did you draw on me while I wasn't looking?" but I find that it's become more of a norm in our society. A lot of my students' parents have much larger and more visible tattoos. I plan on getting another on my shoulder after the wedding and possibly one more after that (not sure where, yet). Then I think I'll be done for tattoos. :P

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• I should clarify- I like tattoos that I can see, I just want them easily hidden. I have one on my rib cage that I love but no one but FI can see.
  • MagicInk said:

MagicInk said:

I meant to quote this one...but oh well. As for picking an artist, I suggest shopping around. Stop into some local shops and ask to see the artists' work. Everyone has something different they're really good at doing or something they kind of specialize in. You can even call the shop ahead of time and make an appointment to meet with an artist and have them draw up what you want.

Look for reviews on line and ask around of people you know to find reviews of tattoo shops. Make sure where you go is clean and that they use new needles. They should let you watch them open them. Be concered if they don't.

Thanks! I'm better at judging safety than artistic ability. I really want a watercolor and I'm struggling with judging work. I think I just need to make lots of appointments.

Thanks!
  • wandajune6 You're very welcome! And yes, lots of different appointments. And ask if they've done watercolor styled tattoos before and then ask to see their books. If they say they don't have books, it's time to leave the shop. Every artist at every shop I've worked at has had a book of their work available to look at. 
  • Another for scrubs! I don't get to wear cute prints, and my hospital doesn't wash them for me. So that sucks.

Nursing wears dark navy blue at my job, and I say thank goodness for a color that doesn't look crazy on me. They have pretty cute scrub styles out now.

But I do really really miss dressing up business like. I LOVE heels, skirts, and blouses. I'd rather wear that than scrubs, but obviously that would be gross and really hard to do compressions in..

I accessorize my scrubs with pink stethoscope and pink blingy ID clip.. Oh the brand I wear (Med Couture) has pink thread accents and pink string to tie the pants.

image   image   image

• @MagicInk‌ thank you! I actually went into a local place and asked if they did watercolors- they said yes but couldn't provide pictures. I just assumed they were lying.
  • Another way to look for work done by certain shops is to look up their hashtag on IG or look at tagged photos on their facebook.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I work from home so however I feel like dressing that day. Today I have on a maxi dress. I did recently buy some nicer more business appropriate clothes. Now that I am done with my BA it is time to job hunt for something in my field.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My tattoo is on my hip - it only shows in a bikini and nakey, but I can see it. And as the tattoo artist ever so kindly said, "it's nice and fleshy so it won't hurt too much." Gee, thanks, that's what every 21 year old chick wants to hear when she's got her pants unbuttoned.

I want my next one either inside my wrist (but it's super veiny) or my left side rib cage, boob-adjacent.

My industry (advertising) gives zero fucks about appearance. I've worked with ppl with green hair, and sometimes execs ride around the office on razor scooters. It's funny cuz our clients (Big 3 auto) REALLYSUPERCARE at the corporate level, but the ones we deal with personally are jealous of our agency culture. I care about looking put together cuz I do think that translates into professional trust, but I love that they can trust me in jeans and wedges.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards