Snarky Brides

Reasons you know you're getting old...

jenna8984jenna8984 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited May 2014 in Snarky Brides
  •  Went to Vegas last week with FI and did not pack a sexy/ skanky dress or any high heels. Just sundresses and flip flops. 
  • On the flight to Vegas, the Stanford womens lacrosse team is on the flight. Thinking I'm "practically" the same age as the girl next to me, I ask her what her major is. She reveals that she doesn't have one because she's a freshman. I turn to FI and DIE that I'm 11 years older than her. 
  •  First night in Vegas we are sleeping at 8:45pm. 
  •  Going to a wedding tomorrow night that I know is at a barn so I'm wearing flats (heels are my norm at work daily). 
  • FI & I went out to dinner at 4:50pm tonight and all the senior citizens were walking in as we were walking out. 
  •  Catch 5-10 minutes of MTV/ VMAs and realize I don't know a single artist or tv personality. 
  • Watching American Idol and a girl in 10th grade was born when I was in 10th grade. 
  • Know almost as many friends on their second marriage as on their first.
I'm 29 LOL What are yours?!  (ETA for bullets)

Re: Reasons you know you're getting old...

• They were playing "Hangin Tough" by NKOTB on the oldies station. I kid you not.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • AzAnnieAzAnnie member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    I'm 44 and I have notice that Fi and I are eating dinner earlier and earlier. I can't stay up past 10 anymore without a nap. I try not to drink to much anymore because a hangover now last 2 days!!
  • I forget that people go out on Friday nights. FI and I went out tonight to get frozen yogurt and we were so confused by all the young kids out at the bars.
    imageimage">
  • Sitting in my yoga pants drinking wine while watching recorded TV shows sounds more appealing than dressing up and going downtown

Shopping at home improvement stores excites me more than the mall.

When I see prenatal samples come down to the lab from women born in the 90's. I think shit...I was born in the 80's and I don't even have any kids yet.

When I actually started calling my mom for advice.

• I feel old today. I have a slight hangover from..... ONE maitai that I drank last night. ONE.
  • OnceUponAVineOnceUponAVine member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    So, I work as a nanny and one of my charges asked me if I had done a particular activity in kindergarten that she was working on. Without skipping a beat I replied "I don't remember honey, that was a long time ago." I then wanted to shake myself - and have a glass of wine.
    Edited: I'm 25, so kindergarten was 20 years ago...
  • Someone recently asked Betty White what her "secret" was and said she has always refused to think of herself as old and has always had an attitude of kind of refusing to grow up.  That was awesome to me because I am 54 and also refuse to grow up.  I want to be just like her, just a little less saucy.

I think what amazes me at this point in my life is that in my mind I am still in my 30's.  My attitudes are the same, I look at the world pretty much the same way now that I did then.  In your mind, things don't really change that much.

When I was in my 20's I figured people in their 50's thought like old people, acted like old people, and were bordering on ancient.  I was wrong, at least for me.

It does kind of piss me off that I am 54 only because it is unlikely that I have another 54 years here on Earth and I am no where near ready for a rocking chair.  I am not ashamed of my age, I just want a lot more time here than I am likely to have.

Since I was never a partier/late night person I think that has a lot to do with still feeling quite young.  I would have rather watched paint dry than go clubbing/dancing.  It was just never my thing.  That being the case, I feel pretty much the same now as I did 25 years ago - at least in my mind.

Now, what "might" make me feel older is knowing that my all time favorite song/best song ever was written and popular before many of you were even born.  Hotel California by The Eagles is my favorite song and I have personally threatend 2 of my children with bodily harm when they went to change the radio station in the car when it came on.  Tough love has its' place.

• I can't drink during the workweek any longer bc anything more than one beer or glass of wine will leave me miserably hungover the next day.
  • I can't drink during the workweek any longer bc anything more than one beer or glass of wine will leave me miserably hungover the next day.

Yay, I'm not crazy! I went out for sushi last night with some family, had ONE maitai, and woke up feeling icky.
  • When you find out the concert venue has a seating section and you feel an overwhelming sense of relief that you don't have to stand for three hours.
    We went to a concert last night and bought lawn seats, thinking we'd at least be able to sit on the ground. Then it rained all day. Stood the whole four hours we were there. Was not a happy camper.
  • Seeing all the kids at my younger cousin's high school graduation and thinking "wow they are like babies"
  • Reason I know I am getting old... the OP of this thread, who feels like she is getting old, is the age of my daughter...
    LOL

• I and the rest of the excavation team were comparing gas mileages and I realized that I don't think i like amusement parks anymore . Those were my old moments of the day
  • @wrigleyville... until the people in front of you standup!! Then all you think is... damn kids... sit down so I can see!!!
  • when I was driving down the highway blasting Prodigy in my Prius...sad really
  • I usually don't feel old.  I'm getting a fresh start on Career #2, about to be married, and generally have a lot of living to look forward to.

But I have bursitis in both hips.  BURSITIS!  At age 26!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• @wrigleyville... until the people in front of you standup!! Then all you think is... damn kids... sit down so I can see!!!
    I still stand up and dance, but it's nice to have the option to sit. ;)
  • When you hear music you listened to just to drive your parental units ape shit and go "Damn, this music sucks monkey balls) then send your father a text apologizing for said noise. (It was the current God Of Crazy And Drugs. AKA Marilyn Manson.)

Fuck is no longer entertainment to repeat over and over. You just sound like a small dog yapping.

When the classic rock station plays Sober by Tool and an earlier Smashing Pumpkins song. Noooooooooooo, I don't listen to classic rock yet!

• When you hear music you listened to just to drive your parental units ape shit and go "Damn, this music sucks monkey balls) then send your father a text apologizing for said noise. (It was the current God Of Crazy And Drugs. AKA Marilyn Manson.) Fuck is no longer entertainment to repeat over and over. You just sound like a small dog yapping. When the classic rock station plays Sober by Tool and an earlier Smashing Pumpkins song. Noooooooooooo, I don't listen to classic rock yet!
    Yeah, when my music became "classic rock" it was kind of devastating.  That sucked.
  • The first time you have to go to the foot aisle in the drug store to buy something with a gross name, like bunion pads. And you stand there thinking, WTF? From Doc Martens to Dr. Scholls, so quickly?

When you realize that crazy old guy, Creed, on The Office, is actually Creed Bratton. The super cute one from the Grass Roots. 

When you hear that Johnny Rotten from The Sex Pistols is coming to town. To perform in a musical, at an overpriced theater. 

You finally meet your celebrity hippie rock star childhood crush. A hero.  And nothing. Just a really nice older man.

When your daughter's getting married. 

When you're okay with all of it.
  • FI and I are 27 and 29, still young, but we can tell we are getting older lol 
    ~Our idea of a fun afternoon is going to Lowe's just to look at appliances and flowers
    ~Anything more than two drinks, and we're hungover
    ~Having no clue who anyone was at the MTV awards
    ~We keep a steady supply of Bengay and Icy Hot at both of our homes
    ~We brought ear plugs to the last concert we went to, and only had two beers bc it was too damn hot and we didn't want to be hungover
    ~We wear sunscreen religiously
    ~We dream about retirement and are looking at land to buy so it can be paid off when we retire
    ~Cars' safety features are my first priority 
    ~I can remember all of my Saturday nights
    ~I closed my facebook about because it got dumb
    Etc....I'm kind of enjoying this growing up thing. Not as bad as I thought it would be. 

• mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    So, I work as a nanny and one of my charges asked me if I had done a particular activity in kindergarten that she was working on. Without skipping a beat I replied "I don't remember honey, that was a long time ago." I then wanted to shake myself - and have a glass of wine.
    Edited: I'm 25, so kindergarten was 20 years ago
    High School graduation was over 20 years ago for me.  You are not old by any stretch of the imagination. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had plans to go out Friday night for a friend's birthday. FI and I both had to take naps before we went out. We're 33 and 40.
    But, we're still young ;)
  • @ohannabelle - maybe getting old isn't the right way to put it. I know we're all young here. I consider anything under 70 to be young. (My grandfather still rides his motorcycle everywhere and has more energy than I do, so he's kind of my gauge) But I can definitely tell there are some major changes in my energy, metabolism, and recovery times.(not just from alcohol but running, sleeping on a bad bed, working out) Perhaps the better way to describe it would be that we are maturing. But, we are all aging (very very very gracefully of course lol)  

P.S I hate when skinny girls say they are getting fat. A friend and I went to pick up our BM dresses and she said that she has HUGE birthing hips and had gotten so fat, and that's why her size 4 dress was snug....Ummmmm I am a few sizes bigger than you. Soooooo, WTF does that say about me? I wanted to punch her in her super flat, post baby, stomach.  
  • First time I really felt "old" was when I saw a little girl I used to babysit for in a bar drinking a beer. All I could think was, "I used to change her diapers." I wanted to tell the bartender (friend of mine) to kick out any guy who hit on her. Also, my 15-year-old nephew has a girlfriend. A girlfriend. I swear it was just last year he was telling me girls are gross.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards