Wedding Etiquette Forum

wedding party

hi i posted this on another board and they weerent very nice and told me that i have to pay for hair and makeup. i am copy pasting this and hopefully i can get better answers here.

hello. this is my first post and i am not sure where to put it so i hope this is an ok place to start everything. my fiance and i got engagged a couple of months ago and we are getting married 01/24/15. when should i pick my bridesmades? i am thinking that i want ot ask my sister, his two sisters, my best friend from middle school, my friend from work, my four cousins and then maybe i will ask this girl that i recently met and started hanging out with more. i guyess i am wondering who should be my made of honor and when should i pick out there dresses? is there a creative way that you have seen to ask people to be in your wedding poarty? thanks

Re: wedding party

• Is it really your first post if you keep posting it on different boards?
  • tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its

hi i posted this on another board and they weerent very nice and told me that i have to pay for hair and makeup. i am copy pasting this and hopefully i can get better answers here.

hello. this is my first post and i am not sure where to put it so i hope this is an ok place to start everything. my fiance and i got engagged a couple of months ago and we are getting married 01/24/15. when should i pick my bridesmades? i am thinking that i want ot ask my sister, his two sisters, my best friend from middle school, my friend from work, my four cousins and then maybe i will ask this girl that i recently met and started hanging out with more. i guyess i am wondering who should be my made of honor and when should i pick out there dresses? is there a creative way that you have seen to ask people to be in your wedding poarty? thanks

I can't tell if she just has really poor grammar, spelling, etc. or if she is maybe 12 years old.

And besides that... she's currently thinking of having 10 bridesmaids. What?

You guys are just SO MEAN!!!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think the backup bridesmaids are the worst part. You can ask whoever you want, but don't replace people, kick them out, or tell them that they're a "backup." Ask for dress budgets first, then pick a dress less than the lowest budget. If you're requiring anything else, you need to pay for it. However, I think you can request a regular color shoe and you can also tell them you're getting your hair done at X place, if they want to join you, it'll be $Y. As long as you aren't requiring it.
  • Sorry OP but you have to think about it this way. How would you feel if one of your dear friends said to you "hey, I'm getting married and will have bridesmaids. I already have a few in mind, but if one says no you can be one!! Then you have to buy a new dress, shoes, get your hair and makeup done for the day-of and anything else bridesmaid-y that you can think of! Don't worry you'll only have to set aside hundreds of dollars, but you probably should just in case one girl backs out."

How would that make you feel?
  • edited May 2014
    You should pick the people who are closest to you to be in your wedding party. You may designate one or more of them to be MOH or not have an MOH, at all. This is at your discretion. 

It seems like you want a large wedding party, which is fine. Just keep in mind that you will have to buy gifts and flowers (or a cheaper alternative) for each. Also, you will have to invite them and their significant others to your RD, so it can get expensive. By the way, if you require professional hair and makeup - that's on your dime. If you want to save money there, allow your bms the option of doing their own hair.

I'm ignoring the remark you made about the members on the other board being rude because you are new. Most of us participate on several different boards and you just happened to pick two that crossover quite a bit. So you have been overheard by those very people you insulted. If you want honest opinions, please hang around and participate. Otherwise, you might want to check out the local boards, which tend to be tamer, but with much less traffic: 

In the meantime, lurk a bit to get a feeling for the boards. 

Congratulations on your engagement. 

• Who would you call if you needed to hide a body?  Those are your bridal party whether they're male, female, friends, or relatives.

Ask them to be in your bridal party 6-9 months before your wedding.  Please don't do it with a cutesy poem or a huge gift or a request to "be my bitches".  Just ask.  If you do anything too big and showy, they might feel like they can't say no even though they want to.  Not everybody wants to be a Bridesmaid; I, for one, am done with it and will decline any future requests regardless of my closeness to the bride.

If you're seriously going to have 10 bridesmaids, I would seriously consider just telling them to pick a dress in a particular color, "please wear a pink dress without a pattern."  With the different body types of 10 different people, anything more specific will be nearly impossible.  Personally, I'd let them wear whatever shoes they want, wouldn't even offer a color palette.  One friend might want to wear tan sandals, another might want to wear silver pumps.  Nobody's going to notice their feet, except them to notice how uncomfortable they are in stupid assigned shoes.

You don't have to have a Maid of Honor.  Everyone can just be a bridesmaid.  But if you're going to choose someone, I'd probably go with your sister as the obvious choice so as to not single out one of his sisters over the other or one of your cousins over the others.

Also, you should really spell check your posts as you do "sound" very young with those errors.
  • MUD

Are you an A.E., or did you hop over The Wire?
  • You got the correct advice on the other board.  No one here is going to tell you anything different.

You require hair, shoes, makeup, nails...it's on you to pay for it.  Otherwise trust them to handle it themselves.

You ask those whom you'd call at 3am to help you bury a body.  If you don't have any friends like that, then you don't have to have a bridal party. Or just have one person.

Treat them with kindness, respect, and consider that these are people that you love.
  • it is rude to cut someones idea down. i dont see how asking someone to be a backup bridesmade is rude at all.

• melbelleupmelbelleup member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited May 2014
    I 100% agree with what everyone else has already said on the other board.

Asking someone to be your bridesmaid if something happens to another is incredibly rude. Think of it in your own shoes... Your brother is getting married, his FI wants to have you in her bridal party, but wants you to be a back up bridesmaid... how would that make you feel? Would you still want to be a bridesmaid 3-4 months before the wedding when called upon and rush order a dress etc?

it is rude to cut someones idea down. i dont see how asking someone to be a backup bridesmade is rude at all.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • No one is cutting your ideas down. This is specifically an etiquette forum - it is not proper etiquette to require certain shoes, getting nails done, getting hair done, etc for a bridal party UNLESS you pay for it. The ladies of the etiquette board did not make that up - they are just respectful enough to follow this very easy proper etiquette rule.

Along the same lines - it is terribly rude and bad etiquette to have "back-up brides maids." If someone is not close enough to be a first choice - they shouldn't be a choice at all. Invite them to the wedding, thank them for being there and don't label them something terrible like a "back up." As someone else pointed out - this isn't a theater production - you don't have under studies. If someone declines being in your wedding - you don't replace them.
  • it is rude to cut someones idea down. i dont see how asking someone to be a backup bridesmade is rude at all.

Would you like to be someone's back-up?  Would you really feel like that is an honorable role?

• i wouldnt be offended because i would know that at least iwas being considered for the honor
  • wow you are a nasty person
  • I think you should totally have back up bridesmaids. I don't know what these other "ladies" are giving you such a hard time for.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards