Chit Chat

Gone forever

2»

Re: Gone forever

• RajahBMFD said:
    CMGragain said:
    This thread made me cry last night.  Then I thought, all of you ladies are talking about your feelings for special things that remind you of special people whom you loved!  In my mother's family, nobody liked each other!  Maybe that is why there are so few heirlooms in my family?
    In my living room, I have a wall of very old family pictures, some from my Dad's family, some from DH's family.  There are no photos of Mom on display, or aunts and uncles.  Hm.  You all are so lucky to have people you love in your lives.
    Really?  People are lamenting lost items that held sentimental value and you are basically telling them that they should be thankful for just having people who loved them in their lives. Goodness. If you don't have a story to share, move on. Don't try to make posters feel bad about their stories.

Because we can't have a bad day unless we have no family and cancer.
  • CMGragain said:
    This thread made me cry last night.  Then I thought, all of you ladies are talking about your feelings for special things that remind you of special people whom you loved!  In my mother's family, nobody liked each other!  Maybe that is why there are so few heirlooms in my family?
    In my living room, I have a wall of very old family pictures, some from my Dad's family, some from DH's family.  There are no photos of Mom on display, or aunts and uncles.  Hm.  You all are so lucky to have people you love in your lives.
    I don't want to be heartless but you don't have anyone in your life that you love and loves you back? I am sure you do, it is just not the typical Mom, Dad, Aunt, Uncle or any other close relative.  And the people that love you, regardless of their blood relation or age or whatever, is what truly matters. It sucks that you didn't have a good relationship with your Mom but you need to concentrate on the close relationships that you do have and have had in the past with others, not dwell on the crappy times.

• And you can always, you know, create your own heirlooms.
  • sucks to be you
  • rajahmdrajahmd member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    RajahBMFD said:
    CMGragain said:
    Really?  People are lamenting lost items that held sentimental value and you are basically telling them that they should be thankful for just having people who loved them in their lives. Goodness. If you don't have a story to share, move on. Don't try to make posters feel bad about their stories.
    Am I the only one who read her post as sincere? I took it as her actually saying that she thought it was nice that we had relationships with our families.
    It just came off as passive-aggressive to me. Like, woe is me, at least you have family kinda thing.
    Anniversary
  • CMGragain said:
    I don't want to be heartless but you don't have anyone in your life that you love and loves you back? I am sure you do, it is just not the typical Mom, Dad, Aunt, Uncle or any other close relative.  And the people that love you, regardless of their blood relation or age or whatever, is what truly matters. It sucks that you didn't have a good relationship with your Mom but you need to concentrate on the close relationships that you do have and have had in the past with others, not dwell on the crappy times.

Put photos up of your children and grandchildren. If I recall, you are close to them, right?
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • RajahBMFD said:
    CMGragain said:
    Am I the only one who read her post as sincere? I took it as her actually saying that she thought it was nice that we had relationships with our families.
    Same here.  I took it as she was a little sad that her family wasn't close and didn't pass things down to each other and that she's a little envious of those who do.  I don't get where her post was mean-spirited or mocking at all. 

• RajahBMFD said:
    CMGragain said:
    Same here.  I took it as she was a little sad that her family wasn't close and didn't pass things down to each other and that she's a little envious of those who do.  I don't get where her post was mean-spirited or mocking at all. 

If that's the case, then I apologize.
  • If it makes anyone feel better my family was always very close but no one passed down anything of interest. I guess we just aren't the sentimental kind.

• My great-grandmother divided up her VC Andrews books and some commemorative plates between each of us. I have all of these plates that aren't my taste, but I don't want to get rid of them because she picked them specifically for each of us. We had to be careful when my dad died suddenly, we had to go through his house and he'd turned into a bit of a hoarder. It's tough to pick just a few things that you want to remember him by when it's tempting to want to keep EVERYTHING and risk becoming a hoarder yourself, lol.

• I am actually really lucky, because I am getting all I wanted and more.

After my Pappy (maternal great-gpa) died, my mom asked for only one thing: his hat. He wore this hat every single day except Sundays. He was buried with his Sunday hat, but we have his everyday hat. It is in my closet right now. Sometimes I take it down and hold it.

When my Grammy (maternal great-gma) passed, my uncle moved into her house. Some of her things, I'm sure, went missing in some family fights, but he managed to keep most of it in the house. Now, he is moving. He has given me the family dining room table, the church pews we sat on at that table, Gram's sewing machine, and some other small things like lamps for my new house. But I sobbed when mom brought in the last box- Grammy's jewelry box, with some items still in it, and all her scarves. So glad I got those.

The only thing I wish we could keep that we can't is the boulder in their front yard. Everyone played on that thing--it was flat on top, and made a perfect table or castle or base. It was a good rock.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • When my grandmother died, all I wanted was her magnalite pot.  They don't make the real ones anymore and I wanted it so badly.  I guess my cousin got to the house first and it was gone when my dad and I showed up to start cleaning up grandma's house.  Dad gave me her dining room table/chairs and a curio cabinet instead.

The only other thing I wish I had but don't is the gown that my brother, cousins, and I were christened in.  My aunt (with the youngest cousin) doesn't know where it ended up.
    Anniversary
  • TKzilla said:
    sucks to be you
    Shush, grown folks is talking
    HEY YOU STOLE MY CANNED RESPONSE TO THIS ASSHOLE.
  • @Inkdancer Not knowing how big the boulder is, have you tried contacting a landscaping/hardscaping company to see if they can move the boulder for you to your house?  Depending on the company, it should be something they are used to dealing with.
  • @Inkdancer Not knowing how big the boulder is, have you tried contacting a landscaping/hardscaping company to see if they can move the boulder for you to your house?  Depending on the company, it should be something they are used to dealing with.
    It is approximately 6 feet by 4 feet by 4 feet and would have to be moved from West Virginia to North Carolina. I suspect that is rather out of my price range.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • APDSS22APDSS22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Inkdancer said:
    @Inkdancer Not knowing how big the boulder is, have you tried contacting a landscaping/hardscaping company to see if they can move the boulder for you to your house?  Depending on the company, it should be something they are used to dealing with.
    It is approximately 6 feet by 4 feet by 4 feet and would have to be moved from West Virginia to North Carolina. I suspect that is rather out of my price range.
    Yeah, that might be prohibitively expensive.
  • RajahBMFD said:
    CMGragain said:
    Yea I did too, but it is so hard to read tone on the internet, so now I just try to assume the best. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fiance's grandmother gave him his grandfather's wedding ring. She also told him that when he got married, he could have her wedding ring for his bride. He wore that ring on his right hand all the time.

We were going on vacation with my parents and he was going to ask them for their blessing. He had my engagement ring in his carry-on.

He almost lost his ring. He took it off to go through the metal detector (seriously, he thought he needed to...and he's a pretty experienced traveler!) and he was so worried about making sure that I didn't find out about MY ring in his bag that he forgot to grab it. He realized it while we were at our connecting airport, so there were some frantic phone calls made until it was located. Even with being assured that it would be there waiting for him on his return, he was understandably a little nervous...

(On a side note, I was very excited to be able to use his grandma's ring, but it was way too wide for my finger. We were able to have the jeweler divide it and make two rings. We re-engraved their initials and date inside, which had pretty much totally worn away. We gave it back to her when we saw her last month, and she was in tears. It was an incredibly sweet moment!)
  • OP, that sucks. I bet he was trying (mis-guidedly) to keep them safe by putting them in his carry-on. When I go on a trip, I always put my souvenirs in my carry-on bag in case something happens to my checked luggage. Not such a good idea when what you don't want to lose is matches...

My sister once got to airport security with a Swiss army knife (a souvenir from a trip to Switzerland) in her purse. But they put it aside and my parents drove back to the airport to pick it up.

My grandma is also a painter, but it has been her policy that when one of her grandchildren gets our own place, we get to choose a painting. So no worries about losing out, I've already got one on my wall! 
  • RajahBMFD said:
    CMGragain said:
    Yeah, I also read this as sincere.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards