Wedding Etiquette Forum

wedding party

1235»

Re: wedding party

• rajahmdrajahmd member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    Here's my scarred by art story:

In the 2nd grade, I broke my elbow for the 3rd time. And it was my dominant arm. Around that time in art class, we were working with clay. I obviously was having trouble making anything pretty, but I was doing fine. The art teacher got frustrated with me because what I was making (one handed basically) wasn't good enough for her. So she took over and made a lovely butterfly for me. Would have been nice, except she complained the entire time about having to do so. I would have been perfectly happy with a fucked up wad of clay to take home, but that wasn't good enough. I'll never forget how hurt I was and how embarrassing it was to have to sit there watching her work with my clay while my classmates got to work with their's. I'm pretty sure my mom still has the butterfly, which I think the teacher even painted for me.
    Anniversary
  • @RajahBMFD things like that make me want to go into art education so that there is one less embittered art teacher out there.

Maybe I'd be better set at doing some kind of summer art camp for kids. Then there's less shit about getting into the education system. I have a friend who got her Master's in Art Education and has found it nearly impossible to get a job teaching art at public schools because according to her, "The old biddies got the job 30 years ago and are going to keep at it 'til they croak."
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• The only teacher horror story I have is that my 8th grade art teacher caught me in the boys bathroom one time and told the principal and I got into a whole lot of trouble.lol.

But I can contribute to the artist part :) big poetry writer in high school and drew/painted a ton as well. I was the editor of my school's literary magazine. Arts are so essential and so diverse! There's something for everyone!

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• beethery said:
    @RajahBMFD things like that make me want to go into art education so that there is one less embittered art teacher out there.

Maybe I'd be better set at doing some kind of summer art camp for kids. Then there's less shit about getting into the education system. I have a friend who got her Master's in Art Education and has found it nearly impossible to get a job teaching art at public schools because according to her, "The old biddies got the job 30 years ago and are going to keep at it 'til they croak."
    Yup. Same thing in private schools as well as colleges/ universities. I'm screwed. Good thing my undergrad was also in politics, so I can widen my field a bit if I have to. 
  • Yay Creatives!!! Love to see all the creative folks planning weddings :)

I'm a Designer/Art Director myself :) and H is an auto designer. We met at our art school.

• I like all you artsy people. I'm a writer. Currently working on a novel and trying to get my poetry published. I also sew and knit and make jewelry and play piano and sing and dance, but those are just for funsies. I like all art.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I studied acting and creative writing in college. I'm working on a novel between my exams and the wedding.
  • seriously who cares if you are aritst or not? most likely you are all fat old men sitting at home wiht nothing better to do
  • bethangel2332bethangel2332 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2014
    seriously who cares if you are aritst or not? most likely you are all fat old men sitting at home wiht nothing better to do
    Just drop it, you will not get the rude answers you want from the ladies on here. Many tried to help but if you don't want to hear it let the post go.

On another note I played clarinet up through high school, but no longer play. FI is a photographer but I try and stay behind him as much as possible. I will never enjoy having my picture taken, but it's amazing to watch him work.

Edit: As I can't type today. 
  • seriously who cares if you are aritst or not? most likely you are all fat old men sitting at home wiht nothing better to do
    Why are you still here?

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• I'm sorry. 10 bridesmaids is ridiculously AWish.
    How about asking your sister, his sisters, and your best friend?
  • Okay, what does AWish mean? I've read it so many times and I'm sure it will be super obvious, but I just did a google search and came up with nothing.

• lilacck28 said:
    Okay, what does AWish mean? I've read it so many times and I'm sure it will be super obvious, but I just did a google search and came up with nothing.
    Attention Whore-ish

• lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2014
    kasmith1 said:
    MagicInk said:
    lilacck28 said:
    MagicInk said:
    Oh no, no it's not rude to tell someone their rude idea is in fact rude. You have been horribly misinformed. I'm an artist. Do you know how many time in my life I have had people tell my idea for an art project is shitty and exactly why it is shitty? I listen to those people because they know more then I do and I make appropriate changes. Learning to accept criticism is part of being a grown up. 

SITB:

ME TOO! HI!! 
    That is all. Not touching the rest of this, entertaining as it is. 
    Yay two artists! Or maybe more! But for sure, two!!!
    Composer / musician here!  I know those artist feels.

(etf: can't spell today)
    I have an art degree, and critique day was my favorite!  ETA - I also had a horribly mean teacher in HS, she told me I was talent-less and should never try to pursue any advanced degree in art. So when I graduated with my BFA (in graphic design and computer art) I mailed her a copy of my diploma.
    Photog here...but I don't really claim to be an artist ;)
    My work never critiqued well in college. I was convinced it was bc it wasn't "weird" enough. So I did some tasteful photos that made it appear that I was nude but hiding my body in shame. Tacked on a letter "written to my mom" about my low self-esteem and body image, blaming "her" and turned it in. I did it all just to see if I did something nude if I would get a better grade since the only a work in my class was drug related, nude or super jacked up self disclosure stuff.

Suddenly I was an A- student instead of a solid B. I was told I would have gotten an A if I had proudly displayed my full nude figure to show my mom in rebellion. Yeah, thanks, but no thanks creepy photog teacher man!

My MS & HS art teachers were all very supportive, but it could have been since I was slanted toward commercial style art to begin with...or I just got lucky and they were nice :)
    When I took photography in college, our midterm was portraiture. The prof told us we could do nudes if we wanted, but he said no nudity for the sake of nudity.  He said he had a girl who assumed "nudity!  A+" and she had a guy just drop his pants and she just took a snapshot of his junk and submitted it.  He said he's seen a lot of bad photography and awkward photos in his time, and he's not embarrassed by much, but this one, he said was awkward and embarrassing just to look at it.  And after that, only one person in the 8 or 10 person class did nudes, and it was tasteful.

I was a dancer, still am a little bit, I do photojournalism.  I do some graphic work. I wish I could draw or paint or something.  I always say I have trouble with stick figures, and that's not far from the truth.

ETA: And a musician.  I played piano for 8 years.  Sadly, I haven't in a long time because pianos are expensive!  I hope to get back into it when I can afford a piano or a decent keyboard and get back up to where I once was.
  • kitty8403kitty8403 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited May 2014

kasmith1 said:

MagicInk said:

lilacck28 said:

MagicInk said:

Oh no, no it's not rude to tell someone their rude idea is in fact rude. You have been horribly misinformed. I'm an artist. Do you know how many time in my life I have had people tell my idea for an art project is shitty and exactly why it is shitty? I listen to those people because they know more then I do and I make appropriate changes. Learning to accept criticism is part of being a grown up. 

SITB:

ME TOO! HI!! 
    That is all. Not touching the rest of this, entertaining as it is. 

Yay two artists! Or maybe more! But for sure, two!!!

Composer / musician here!  I know those artist feels.

(etf: can't spell today)

I have an art degree, and critique day was my favorite! 

ETA - I also had a horribly mean teacher in HS, she told me I was talent-less and should never try to pursue any advanced degree in art. So when I graduated with my BFA (in graphic design and computer art) I mailed her a copy of my diploma.

Photog here...but I don't really claim to be an artist ;)
    My work never critiqued well in college. I was convinced it was bc it wasn't "weird" enough. So I did some tasteful photos that made it appear that I was nude but hiding my body in shame. Tacked on a letter "written to my mom" about my low self-esteem and body image, blaming "her" and turned it in. I did it all just to see if I did something nude if I would get a better grade since the only a work in my class was drug related, nude or super jacked up self disclosure stuff.

Suddenly I was an A- student instead of a solid B. I was told I would
    have gotten an A if I had proudly displayed my full nude figure to show my mom in rebellion. Yeah, thanks, but no thanks creepy photog teacher man!

My MS & HS art teachers were all very supportive, but it could have been since I was slanted toward commercial style art to begin with...or I just got lucky and they were nice :)

---SIDB!---
    Also photographer, crafter, not-horrible singer, and writer. Just don't make me play Pictionary!
    We've moved on from your original question - our creativity is more worth talking about.

I wish I had the skill to paint / sketch / draw.  My brother is currently at college for Game Art & Design (simulations, video games, etc), and hasn't taken an art class since grade school - AND HE IS ROCKING IT.  I seriously have no idea where this talent came from, but I'm so proud of everything he creates.  We share the music gene, but not the drawing gene :)   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    seriously who cares if you are aritst or not? most likely you are all fat old men sitting at home wiht nothing better to do

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards