Registry and Gift Forum

Registry Poem

2»

Re: Registry Poem

• Can you turn it into a limerick about a man from Nantucket?
  • OP, if I read that on a wedding webside, I'd roll my eyes so hard they would fall out.
  • RetreadBride, I guess "luncheon" and "shower' are synonymous in our circle. My mom just sent me a copy of the invitation proof tonight and it says "luncheon" on it. I hope people will know that gifts aren't expected for a luncheon... but I have a feeling I'll still be doing a ton of returning before I fly out the next day. My mom wanted to throw a pre-wedding party where she lives because we're getting married in NC and most of my family is in RI and some won't be able to attend the wedding due to the distance.

I guess I should have called it a luncheon, and mentioned that I don't want or expect gifts.
  • Wow.  That's an awful poem.  And a worse idea.  OF COURSE, your WP will nod their heads and tell you it's adorable.  They're your friends.  They don't want to hurt your feelings.

But if you'd like to choose to accept their puppies and rainbows validation over the reality check that you're getting here, by all means.  Knock yourself out.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-poem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:6bd00747-51d1-4a5a-a81f-d9a5859d3884Post:2eaf2f85-73c1-4ba3-9832-7a6c224d16af">Re: Registry Poem</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow.  That's an awful poem.  And a worse idea.  OF COURSE, your WP will nod their heads and tell you it's adorable.  They're your friends.  They don't want to hurt your feelings. But if you'd like to choose to accept their puppies and rainbows validation over the reality check that you're getting here, by all means.  Knock yourself out.
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto this exactly.  Your friends and family are going to tell you whatever you want to hear and validate every idea you have, no matter what they really think of it.  Random strangers on the internet don't care about hurting your feelings by telling you it's a bad idea.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Just something you should think about, if ALL  the people who responded to this thread thought it was horribly tacky and rude, did you ever even stop to think that some of your guests would feel the same way?  Because they will, and just won't say it to your face.  </div><div>
    </div><div>If you don't want gifts, don't register, and don't have a shower.  Your family and friends aren't idiots, and they know that newlywed couples will ALWAYS appreciate monetary gifts.  </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • While I don't have a problem with cash/wish registries (we are using uponourstar.com) I think the poem is a BAD idea.  

If you want cash, do a "wish" registry like we have- we have a lot of household items on there that are just really bigger tickets because we are doing some work on our house- it is easier for people to contribute to it- vs. buying us smaller gifts we don't really need since have them all. 

Don't send a stupid poem!!!
  • This is rude, and OP, no one here was rude when giving their opinion. We are trying to stop you from doing something your GUESTS will find offensive. No they won't tell you to your face, but they will find it rude and presumptuous. There IS a way to let people know you don't want random china--don't register! Trust us, people will get it that you would love cash if you have no registries. If people ask you, just say "We aren't registering and are saving up for _____." They will take the hint without your poem.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • If you already have everything you need why are you even having a shower? I thought the point of a shower was to give gifts to a young couple just starting out who didnt already have everything? If I was sent this there is no way I would go or get you anything. It sounds like you already have everything you need so why should I get you a gift card or give you money??? 
  • Um no just NO.  If you want cash instead of gifts, word of mouth is the best way to go.  That's what we are doing.  I have a small registry.  At our e-party, some people bought stuff off the registry others gave us cash.  We still have certain items on the registry so if people want to buy off it, it's still there for the shower but if not, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that cash is always a welcome gift.  No need to put a poem and beg for it.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-poem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:6bd00747-51d1-4a5a-a81f-d9a5859d3884Post:046dafb9-1abf-496d-9b9a-5f09d546737f">Re: Registry Poem</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good gracious...ya'll are fierce Thanks for the advice...I think...or the bashing...whatever you want to call it The poem idea is something I found online, and before publishing it my bridal party confirmed it was okay... This is something that is not going out with the invitations, just on our wedding website.  I have gotten 564654654654 questions about the registry so this is why I made it. 90% of our guests are from out of town so the website was just a central location to put all this information...so far no complaints from my family or his Thanks for the bashing though!
    Posted by kelliebaker[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Holy moly, you were serious?!?!</div><div>
    </div><div>Not a single person bashed you.  They simply pointed out how rude your cash grab is, and that a cheesy poem doesn't hide the rude.  Wouldn't you rather strangers help you out than let you embarrass yourself in front of people you actually know?  Bashing you is much different than pointing out your error.  Bashing you would be a bunch of people telling you that you are greedy and a terrible person.  Instead, everyone pointed out that this act would send the message that you are a greedy, rude person, and help you avoid that.  Huge difference.  Presumably, you asked because you'd like to avoid looking selfish and greedy.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-poem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:6bd00747-51d1-4a5a-a81f-d9a5859d3884Post:9eb3b2f9-27cc-40e2-8a3a-d536885ebab6">Re: Registry Poem</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm in North Carolina too, and requests for cash don't go over well in the deep south.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

i also live in North Carolina, and i agree, this would not go over well here...or anywhere really im sure
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-poem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:6bd00747-51d1-4a5a-a81f-d9a5859d3884Post:285681fc-574d-47eb-92f0-e72100d562e8">Re: Registry Poem</a>:
    [QUOTE]FYI exciting and dining do not match.
    Posted by Rosie109[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>*giggle* this is exactly what I thought when I read the poem lol </div>
  • I think its a great idea and I am trying to find a nice poem myself for our wedding website. My parents are helping. Thanks for yours!
  • You're all bitches. I think this is adorable. You can't really think that guests will ASSUME you don't need gifts if you don't register - that'll just prompt gramma to buy some ugly vase you hate, or something. The poem is super cute. In fact, I'm stealing it and putting it before our registry info, implying that we don't NEED gifts, but if people WANT to get us gifts, here's what we need.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    You're all bitches. I think this is adorable. You can't really think that guests will ASSUME you don't need gifts if you don't register - that'll just prompt gramma to buy some ugly vase you hate, or something. The poem is super cute. In fact, I'm stealing it and putting it before our registry info, implying that we don't NEED gifts, but if people WANT to get us gifts, here's what we need.
    Why are you digging up three year old posts to tell everyone that you are going to be rude? Yes, everyone knows money is a good gift. That is not an assumption, that is a fact. Honestly, even if your Grandmother gave you an ugly vase, you send a thank you note and say how much you appreciate it. You are not a charity- don't beg for money. That is sad, rude and déclassé behaviour. Poetry doesn't fix that. 

Also, please refrain from name-calling and swearing, that is against the TOS.

@knotporscha, please can we close this zombie thread? Thank you. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards