Chit Chat

Cake Ideas

What are / did you do for the style of your wedding cake?

I gave in and let FI pick the design of the cake for us. It will be a marble cake with buttercream icing. And the design is Despicable Me. He even got little minions for the cake topper. His minion is one of the little firefighter minions, and he did a minion in a dress for me. Its kinda childish. But I find it cute. FI gets to help with something and its a small compromise to make. :-)

Re: Cake Ideas

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    My daughter compromised.  The wedding cake was a classic tiered white cake with plain white butter cream frosting and blue ribbon trim.  A hydrangea blossom topped the cake.
    The groom's cake had a photo of Dungeons and Dragons on the top and was chocolate.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • FI and I went with a cupcake tower. Chocolate and vanilla cupcakes, white frosting, and a 6 inch cake topper. The topper will have a scroll type design in the same frosting as the cupcakes with a green ribbon. Very simple, very us.
  • We are doing a traditional tiered white cake.
  • Our cake (only one - no groom's cake) is 4 tiers. It will have alternating vertical and horizontal stripes (all in white - just for texture to match the pleating on my dress) and will have a decoration along one side that is based on the beading on my dress. It will be topped with fresh flowers that match my bouquet. My baker is really excited about the opportunity to play with the different textures using my dress as inspiration. She is brilliant and I can't wait to see what she does!

The flavors - white with lemon curd, peaches and cream with peach purée filling, and lemon-berry with raspberry purée. With vanilla buttercream icing. Yum yum yum.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• phiraphira member
    I cared VERY much about the cake and frosting flavors. Like, way too much. But I hadn't given much thought to the actual design of the cake besides, "I like frosting flowers," "I hate fondant," and, "Lots of food coloring tastes bad." My partner also cares more about taste than appearance, but cares about the cake a lot less than I do in general. We ended up just searching lots of images on Google, as well as from bakeries we were considering, and picking a very simple, boring design.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • I was very big into cake, but let FI pick the design. It is 3 square layers off set with a cascade of peonies and roses down the cake. The middle layer has some quilting texture too. It is vanilla buttercream. The first layer is chocolate cake with peanut butter cream filling the next layer is vanilla cake with blueberry and raspberry cheesecake filling, the top layer is chocolate and vanilla cake with oreo filling in it. No cake topper just the cascade of flowers....

Anniversary

• Fi didn't want a grooms cake. He wants a grooms pie because in his exact words "apples"
  • We did a cupcake tower with a GIANT cupcake topper. All homemade. Vanilla cupcake with chocolate frosting; chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting; caramel cupcake with chocolate frosting and sea salt. SIL made some fondant flowers for decorating.

Anniversary
  • I let FI picked the cake since I'm not into sweets at all. He ended up picking a very traditional vanilla cake with French creme/raspberry filling and white buttercream. No fondant, no gum paste, no non-edible decoration - everything is done in buttercream.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I think we might do cupcakes or cheesecake cups. Haven't decided yet. I'm leaning more toward cheesecake cups.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• At this point all we know is that it's going to be hummingbird cake. No consensus on icing, or decorations. FMIL wanted to do a traditional 3-tier, but our venue doesn't have a cake-fridge tall enough to accommodate that. She keeps insisting that we have more than one tier, but I really don't see the need to make a huge cake when we're only expecting about 30 people. I want to see if I can convince her to do a small cake for the "cutting", and a sheet cake to serve. If not, we'll probably end up doing the three tiers as "satellites".
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • We're doing a tiered bundt cake, chocolate for the bottom layer, strawberry for the top, with 24 bundtinis (cupcakes) in lemon, pecan, and I don't remember the other.  Enough cake for about 50 people for our wedding of 20, lol.
  • We are doing a white 3-tiered cake with spice cake, vanilla almond, and...I can't remember the third cake tier. It might be marble? With butter cream frosting. All I really cared about was that there was spice cake somewhere in it.
    Anniversary

• beethery said:
    I think we might do cupcakes or cheesecake cups. Haven't decided yet. I'm leaning more toward cheesecake cups.
    Please do cheesecake cups and please invite me.
  • At this point all we know is that it's going to be hummingbird cake. No consensus on icing, or decorations. FMIL wanted to do a traditional 3-tier, but our venue doesn't have a cake-fridge tall enough to accommodate that. She keeps insisting that we have more than one tier, but I really don't see the need to make a huge cake when we're only expecting about 30 people. I want to see if I can convince her to do a small cake for the "cutting", and a sheet cake to serve. If not, we'll probably end up doing the three tiers as "satellites".
    I LOVE hummingbird cake!
    Anniversary

• We thought we had picked out our cake:
    Top tier: Marble w/Chocolate Caramel filling
    Bottom tier:  Chocolate w/peanut butter cup filling

I then remembered my dad doesn't like PB, so we might just flip flop them.  I saw another location offered 'tiramisu' filling; so I'm HOPING maybe our location has that available too (not holding my breath).

If we do not do an 'upgraded' cake and just stick with what comes with our package, we will do:
    marble cake w/Bavarian cream

As far as style - ours will be traditional, this is the style we're going for as it's one of the 5 or 6 styles offered in our package:

Anniversary
  • We are doing a three tiered cake. The bottom layer is chocolate chip cake (our baker is using/modifying my om's recipe), the middle layer is spice cake, and the top is going to be lemon or plain pound cake. We want simple cream cheese icing and fresh flowers to decorate. We haven't decided on a ckae topper.

• ElcaBElcaB member
    We're just doing a little itty-bitty cake for ceremonial cake-cutting purposes, then serving a plated dessert trio instead. We are making it ourselves (and by we, I mean my mom, aunts, and me).

We'll probably do white cake or funfetti (because who doesn't love funfetti!?) with white ruffled buttercream and fresh flowers, similar to this without the first tier:

• We cared a lot about how our cake tasted and not a lot about how it looked, which is good because I made it myself and I have very basic decorating skills. It was a very simple, three-tiered white cake, blackberry lime with butter cream frosting. 

@ElcaB, please do funfetti!!
  • We havent fully decided on a cake and since we might be modifying certain wedding details, we have that on hold. We have an awesome baker. He decorates great, is great with flavors and the cakes are soft and moist! Traditionally around here everyone uses fondant, buttercream is super hard to find and super expensive. Fi will be choosing the disign possibly and it will be a four tier cake with a simple damask design and possibly different shapes for each tier. As far as flavors, We might to bride's ponque, marble, and we are still unsure of the other layers. He offers a TON of flavors so we still have time to decide

• beethery said:
    I think we might do cupcakes or cheesecake cups. Haven't decided yet. I'm leaning more toward cheesecake cups.
    Please do cheesecake cups and please invite me.
    If we do them, we're getting them from here (click). I would fucking LOOOOOOOVE to have something like this instead, but at $8ea that's a little beyond the price range.

If we do cheesecake cups you better be ready to get your groove on at the reception because that shit is gonna be a big drunk dance party.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I think if you only plan on having 1 cake, it should represent you both. That is, if you both have a strong preference like, he likes batman and you love Cinderella. You could incorporate both because it should reflect you both. That is just my view though. H and I had the big cake, and a grooms cake that was a circuit board (He is majoring in Electrical Engineering) and the big cake represented our colors, and had lots of blues (My favorite color). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Our cake will be white with some royal blue swirls. Bottom tier is white cake with lemon cream, middle tier is chocolate cake with chocolate cream and raspberry puree, top tier is white cake with mandarin orange cream. At our tasting, FI asked for an extra cup of the orange cream and ate the whole thing with a spoon.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I don't know for sure what our cake will look like. We care a lot more about how the cake tastes than how it looks - the baker is going to HATE us because our words are going to be "just make it look like cake, I don't know."
  • KGold80 said:
    Our cake (only one - no groom's cake) is 4 tiers. It will have alternating vertical and horizontal stripes (all in white - just for texture to match the pleating on my dress) and will have a decoration along one side that is based on the beading on my dress. It will be topped with fresh flowers that match my bouquet. My baker is really excited about the opportunity to play with the different textures using my dress as inspiration. She is brilliant and I can't wait to see what she does! The flavors - white with lemon curd, peaches and cream with peach purée filling, and lemon-berry with raspberry purée. With vanilla buttercream icing. Yum yum yum.
    @kgold80. I want your cake.
  • sarahufl said:
    KGold80 said:
    Our cake (only one - no groom's cake) is 4 tiers. It will have alternating vertical and horizontal stripes (all in white - just for texture to match the pleating on my dress) and will have a decoration along one side that is based on the beading on my dress. It will be topped with fresh flowers that match my bouquet. My baker is really excited about the opportunity to play with the different textures using my dress as inspiration. She is brilliant and I can't wait to see what she does! The flavors - white with lemon curd, peaches and cream with peach purée filling, and lemon-berry with raspberry purée. With vanilla buttercream icing. Yum yum yum.
    @kgold80. I want your cake.

SITB

Me too! I'm just not quite sure what cake everyone else is gonna eat because this one is MINE MINE MINE. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• At this point FI says he only cares about taste lol So we will find something we both agree on and he will let me pick the design. 
  • We are doing a small tiered cake, and then a sheet cake. The tiered cake is white cake with raspberry filling and cheesecake-flavored buttercream. The sheet cake is rich chocolate cake, with a salted caramel mousse filling and whipped chocolate icing. I've asked the baker for a giant bowl of that mousse to be set at my place. It was seriously THE.BEST.THING. I have ever tasted! I don't think she realized that I was not joking...

Here is the design idea, but we'll only have 3 tiers and the ribbon will be the dark turquoise in our colors

The topper I made myself out of twisted wire. It is our initials with two interlocking hearts.
  • We're doing a three-tiered round cake plus sheet cakes in the back (to get enough servings without having a 6' tall cake). All the same flavor - a light lemon cake with fresh strawberries inside and cream cheese buttercream frosting. And about a billion cookies.

Design is still a little up in the air... I just told her simple white texture/ruffles, no flowers or piping.

• @lolo883 I'm coming to your wedding as well. Your cake sounds delish!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards