Chit Chat

NWR: Hypoallergenic Dogs? and other dog-related questions...

FI and I are extremely interested in getting a dog. The problem is, we are both allergic to (most) dogs. I've heard of certain breeds being better for allergies or categorized as "hypoallergenic." Does anyone have any experience with hypoallergenic dogs or know any good breeds? I've done a lot of online research, but I thought some personal experiences might help us narrow it down a bit. 

Also, FMIL is super "anti-dog" lol. Her reasons: 1. They cost too much. 2. You'll argue about who has to take care of it. 3. You have to walk it. 4. It will put stress on your marriage. 

Dog owners, could you weigh in on her concerns? Do you feel like a dog adds to your life in a positive way or is it too much of a hassle for a newly married couple? FI and I both grew up in pet-less houses, so we really don't have any experience. My friends all love dogs, so their answer is always "OMG YES GET A DOG THEY'RE THE BEST!!!" But I thought I could get some real, honest opinions here. :) 

Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: Hypoallergenic Dogs? and other dog-related questions...

• BIL was not very into dogs. My sister really, really wanted one, so he caved. There is no way in the world you could take that dog away from BIL now. He loves her so much.

He is also allergic to dogs, but not to theirs. She is a pound puppy of unknown origin, but is part doxie and part Italian Greyhound. Generally, something with short hair and no dander is good. He still tries to change into dog playing clothes if he is going to roll around on the floor with her, and she isn't allowed in the bed.

I know Besenjiis (my spelling is way off) are also hypoallergenic.

I grew up with a dog and I miss having one!
  • It depends on whether you're allergic to the dander or the saliva. Poodles and shih tsus are considered "hypoallergenic" because they don't shed (and therefore don't release dander into the air attached to their hair), but if you're allergic to their saliva you could still have problems. I have a hairless dog so obviously not too much in the shedding department, but because he licks himself so much he makes my BFF break out in hives when she pets him. 

• FI and I both grew up with dogs. We love our dogs like they are our children. I wouldn't say they put stress on our relationship, but they are a big responsibility that we don't always wish we had.

To answer your concerns:
    1. I would look at costs of vets in your area, as well as dog food and training. We give our dogs really great quality food, and we joke that they eat better than us. It gets expensive.
    2. We both take care of the dogs equally. We both work full time, but he takes care of morning responsibilities, and I am on nighttime duty. This works well for us because I'm not a happy camper in the morning.
    3. Yes you have to walk dogs. I enjoy the exercise. If you get a smaller dog they require a lot less exercise though.
    4. That really depends on how you handle it. If you both enjoy being pet owners I don't think that should be an issue.

I don't know much about hypoallergenic dogs. My neighbors got a poodle for that exact reason, and they love their dog. Poodles are very smart.
    Anniversary

• Thank you so much! This is giving me a lot to think about. I'm definitely going to look into the vet costs in my area and also see if there is a way to figure out if we're allergic to the dander, saliva or both. I think it's just the dander. I've been tested by an allergist, and my allergy is pretty mild (but for cats, it's severe and it's for both dander and saliva). I'm definitely going to look into that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I can't speak on hypoallergenic dogs. However, FI and I have 5 dogs and a cat so I can help some. To answers some concerns:
    1). Cost is dependent upon the area you live. An initial puppy visit will run around $100. Yearly vaccinations will run between $30-$50. However, you have to account for emergencies, food a toys. For our 3 dogs that live with us, we spend about $50/month on food (we buy wholesale). You also need to remember their heart worm medication and flea medication. Each is about $30/month but there is a new medicine called Trifexis that takes care of both for $30/month.
    2). When it comes to the responsibility to take care of an animal, this is something you and your FI need to talk about prior to getting the dog. This is a living, breathing creature that has feelings and a personality. Dogs demand attention and act out when proper attention is not given. If you both want a dog then you both need to take care of it equally. FI and I have shifts based on our work schedules. I take them out and walk in the morning, he does it in the afternoon when he gets home and then we both do before bed. I think having a pet can also show different parenting styles the two of you might have if you ever have children.
    3).Of course you have to walk it. This is imperative for their health but also for yours. Just look at it as extra recreation and exercise for your and your FI.
    4). As far as putting stress on your marriage you have two ways to look at it. Either you both be the best pet parents you can be and let this new bond strength your relationship or you let it stress you out. Puppies are hard. the have accidents. They don't sleep normal hours. The chew expensive things up. They don't listen. It is hard work. But if you understand that going into it then I think it helps ease the stress it may cause.

Getting a dog is a huge responsibility but you and you FI need to need to constantly be on the same page. Make sure you are both in it 100%. Be consistent with training and discipline. And love the ever-long crap out of that precious puppy when all you want to do is yell at it. My dogs drive me crazy some days but their unconditional love and companionship makes it all worth it. 

• We got one last night. I have a mild allergy to dogs and wasn't excited about the idea. FI's been wanting one for years. I gave in with the understanding that it's HIS dog: he gets to do the cleanup, keep the house clean for me, etc. We've only had him a night but he's not allowed in our room and we're already keeping him well-brushed. Short hair also seems to be easier for me.

This sounds callous but we talked about how to deal with bigger issues. What happens if/when we have a kid? What happens if/when it gets sick or ill? Who's ultimately going to be responsible for it?

It's too soon to say if we've made the right decision but I have an adorable little guy who already loves me much more than the guy who pushed to bring him home!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • penguin44 said:
    FI and I both grew up with dogs. We love our dogs like they are our children. I wouldn't say they put stress on our relationship, but they are a big responsibility that we don't always wish we had. To answer your concerns: 1. I would look at costs of vets in your area, as well as dog food and training. We give our dogs really great quality food, and we joke that they eat better than us. It gets expensive. 2. We both take care of the dogs equally. We both work full time, but he takes care of morning responsibilities, and I am on nighttime duty. This works well for us because I'm not a happy camper in the morning. 3. Yes you have to walk dogs. I enjoy the exercise. If you get a smaller dog they require a lot less exercise though. 4. That really depends on how you handle it. If you both enjoy being pet owners I don't think that should be an issue. I don't know much about hypoallergenic dogs. My neighbors got a poodle for that exact reason, and they love their dog. Poodles are very smart.
    I agree with everything except the bolded. Different breeds require different exercise, regardless of size. I have a 100 lb. dog that's exhausted and sleeps for two days after a 25 minute walk. Different breeds also have different mental and physiological needs, so please make sure you research that also. A poodle, for example is really freaking smart and needs a lot of mental stimulation. A LOT. My American Bulldog gets confused by her own farts. 

Having a dog is a big responsibility and there's a lot of adjustments. You'll be much better off sitting down and discussing who is responsible for what before you get the dog. I was a lot like a PP's BIL and did NOT want a dog. So when FI convinced me to get her, we understood that he'd be doing all the work. And that's worked for us. I do more with her now because I freaking love her to pieces, but I'd have been pissed if I was walking her and picking up shit at 6:00 AM. We also rarely go out after work during the week because we don't want to leave Edna at home at night after being at home alone all day. That was also an adjustment. 

I recommend doing a TON of research on whatever breed you decide on (I won't preach, but please rescue) and having a savings account in case of emergency vet bills. This is probably an extreme example, but my dog tore both her ACLs in the first year we had her. $7,000 later, it was worth it, but I was pissed we had to get a credit card to pay for it. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Bishons (sp?) are hypoallergenic but a little pricey...
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Wow, thank you so much for the amazing advice and insight! This has got me thinking about things I didn't even realize and never would've thought research. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have no advice on hypoallergenic dogs because I have a yellow lab and they are the furthest from hypoallergenic :)

But in regards to your FMIL concerns...

Getting a dog is a big adjustment, especially if you start with a puppy.  Are you willing to give up your free time?  Are you willing to give up being able to go out and stay out all day and night?

As far as cost this definitely needs to be taken into account.  You have to think about vet visits (shots, getting them fixed, etc) but also about unexpected vet visits.  Our pup has a not so happy belly so she has been to the vet a good amount for diarrhea and vomiting.  Plus she decided to eat a needle which resulted in several trips and x-rays over the course of 4 days until it finally came out on its own.  Thankfully surgery wasn't needed.  And don't forget about monthly heartworm and flea/tick medicine.  And then there is food and toys and possible kennel costs and training costs and grooming costs.

Just like with a child you and your FI will need to discuss what roles you and him will play in regards to taking care of your pup.  Who will feed it in the morning?  Who will feed it in the evening?  Who will walk it and when?  H and I have a good schedule.  I take care of our pup in the morning because my work is pretty easy going about when you get in while his is very strict.  He takes her out at night because I go to bed early.  Either he or I feed her in the evening depending on who is home.  We both walk her evenly because that is only fair.  But in the end you both have to be ready to step up and take care of your dog if for some reason you can't stick to the schedule.

Yes, you do have to walk your dog.  In the rain, the snow, the cold, the wind, the heat even in the middle of the night if your dog gets a case of diarrhea.  But then again this is something that just comes with the territory when you get a dog.

As far as will it put a stress on your marriage.  Well I hate to compare having a dog to having kids but couldn't have a child do the same thing?  You are bringing an animal into your home that is reliant on you to take care of it.  Will the dog drive you crazy sometimes?  Sure.  Will you want to not have to walk it when it gets late and you are tired?  Sure.  But you do and even when the dog chews up your favorite pair of shoes you will still love it because that is just what you do.

H and I love our dog a ridiculous amount.  Did it change the way we lived?  Yes.  We now have to make sure that we are home after a certain number of hours.  We don't just get to get up and go on a weekend vacation at the last moment.  On the weekend we spend time at the dog park or at the stream or on the trail rather then lounging in front of the tv and being lazy.  It is an adjustment but if you and your FI are on the same page and both want a dog then the adjustment should be pretty easy.

• AprilH81 said:
    Bishons (sp?) are hypoallergenic but a little pricey...
    We had a Bichon growing up. Ours was a cast-off because she was too tall to be used for shows, so we got her at a shelter. 

They are great dogs, though! Happy and loyal, but not a "yappie" dog. I'm not a little dog person, but I loved our Bichon. 
  • I can't speak on the hypoallergenic dogs, but FI and I have 2 dogs.  

1. Dogs can be expensive (pills, vaccinations, food, grooming, etc) but we just go ahead and have part of our budget allocated towards them because they are definitely worth it!

2. We have never argued about who has to take care of the dogs because we both enjoy them so much! We have a schedule, I wake up earlier than FI so I take them out in the morning. FI usually stays up later so he takes them out before he goes to bed.

3. One of my favorite activities to do with FI is to walk our dogs. It gives us time to talk about our days or whatever.  I think it makes you more social as well! You talk to people with dogs, take them to dog parks, or people wanting to just come up and say hi.

4. It has not put any stress on our relationship. If anything, it's made us stronger.  

Puppies can be hard work, but you can always skip that stage and adopt a dog that is older!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • These are all excellent points! I think FI and I have a lot to talk about. I'm pretty sure we could handle it, but I know we'd have to make a very set schedule and talk about how to divide the responsibilities. We tend to go out a lot on the weekends for the whole day, so that will definitely be an adjustment and something I didn't realize we would have to sacrifice (makes sense, but it never occurred to me since the only pet I've ever had was a goldfish! haha). We also need to make sure we have room in our budget. There are some costs that were brought up that I wouldn't have thought about. This is all SO helpful! It sounds like even though they're a lot of work, everyone completely loves their dogs! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    What does your FMIL think of you two having kids, then? lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• larrygaga said:
    @larrygaga

She wants grandchildren very badly, BUT she is VERY opinionated on how many children we have. She is insistent that we ONLY have two children because "anyone she's talked to that has more than 2 are way too overwhelmed." 

Yeaaaahhh...newsflash FMIL, it's not your decision, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • larrygaga said:
    @larrygaga

She wants grandchildren very badly, BUT she is VERY opinionated on how many children we have. She is insistent that we ONLY have two children because "anyone she's talked to that has more than 2 are way too overwhelmed." 

Yeaaaahhh...newsflash FMIL, it's not your decision, lol.
    But kids won't break apart your marriage? A dog will? LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited June 2014
    wandajune6 said: We got one last night. I have a mild allergy to dogs and wasn't excited about the idea. FI's been wanting one for years. I gave in with the understanding that it's HIS dog: he gets to do the cleanup, keep the house clean for me, etc. We've only had him a night but he's not allowed in our room and we're already keeping him well-brushed. Short hair also seems to be easier for me. This sounds callous but we talked about how to deal with bigger issues. What happens if/when we have a kid? What happens if/when it gets sick or ill? Who's ultimately going to be responsible for it? It's too soon to say if we've made the right decision but I have an adorable little guy who already loves me much more than the guy who pushed to bring him home!
    What happened to the box??
    I don't think that's callous at all; it's a really important point. I think a lot of people get dogs because they're fun
    right now, and don't consider how much more work they'll be once they have a baby. So many of my friends have gotten rid of their dogs once they had kids and that makes me really sad. IMO, when you adopt a dog you are making a lifetime commitment to it. You can't just keep it for 5 years and then ditch it. Unless it's something serious like a new baby having a severe allergy to the pet, or the dog biting the baby, you owe it to that dog to take care of it for its whole life. Even when it's hard, even when it's inconvenient, even when it's expensive. 

• emmaaaemmaaa mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2014
    wandajune6 said:

We got one last night. I have a mild allergy to dogs and wasn't excited about the idea. FI's been wanting one for years. I gave in with the understanding that it's HIS dog: he gets to do the cleanup, keep the house clean for me, etc. We've only had him a night but he's not allowed in our room and we're already keeping him well-brushed. Short hair also seems to be easier for me.

This sounds callous but we talked about how to deal with bigger issues. What happens if/when we have a kid? What happens if/when it gets sick or ill? Who's ultimately going to be responsible for it?

It's too soon to say if we've made the right decision but I have an adorable little guy who already loves me much more than the guy who pushed to bring him home!

What happened to the box??

I don't think that's callous at all; it's a really important point. I think a lot of people get dogs because they're fun right now, and don't consider how much more work they'll be once they have a baby. So many of my friends have gotten rid of their dogs once they had kids and that makes me really sad. IMO, when you adopt a dog you are making a lifetime commitment to it. You can't just keep it for 5 years and then ditch it. Unless it's something serious like a new baby having a severe allergy to the pet, or the dog biting the baby, you owe it to that dog to take care of it for its whole life. Even when it's hard, even when it's inconvenient, even when it's expensive. 
    WHATTTT box?
    Yes. It breaks my heart seeing people get rid of their pets because they had a baby. I've had my dogs around babies and kids to see how they interact and to get my dogs used to the idea of babies. 

• I love DH's dog - Most day's he's my dog too. He's happy, VERY well behaved and adorable. He's an amazing dog. That said, I agree with your MIL. This could be bc our dog tore his ACL 2 weeks ago and it cost $1600 - so far. They are expense and an eternal two year old. They require a lot of attention and it's not fair if you can't give it to them. I love animals, had an animal science minor in college, but do not plan on getting another dog when Hunter passes. I will be devastated, but no.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I'm just going to add on to this one.  IF you are not going through a shelter/rescue, it is important that you do your research on the breeder.

I might be a little more strict than others:
    Having a 'vet check' is not the same as proper health testing.  Different breeds have different tests that are recommended.  Some of these tests are Hips, Elbows, Eyes, Thyroid, etc.  The 2 common resources for these tests are Orthopedic Foundation For Animals (OFFA) or PennHip.

When I am picking out a breeder, I also would like to know what they do with their dogs.  If they don't do confirmation (dog shows) I want to know why -- I know some breeds have heavy politics.  If they don't do confirmation, what DO they do with their dogs (example would be a herding dog may have earned some herding titles but may not be in the show ring because of the breeder is not able to make the shows).

I know I'm a little extreme and my dogs are pets (I don't show or compete in any way) but I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to make sure I'm getting a healthy pet.  I know there are no guarantees, but if there's anything I can do to help my chances - it's worth it to me.

Anniversary
  • H & I got a lab puppy a few months into marriage and we just love her. Like literally, I'm obsessed. 

Random notes- not by your numbers...
    1) Assuming you're getting her from a breeder, that alone is a big chunk of change. It cost us $450 alone just to spay and micro-chip our girl. Clearly, I think she's worth every penny and she brings us SO much joy, but she's definitely expensive. Oh yeah, and ripping apart $30 in toys her second weekend home :) 
    2) It definitely has changed our weekend habits. You can not leave her in the crate for eight hours.... she'll pee and she'll probably be wild with energy when you get home. We have a fabulous puppy daycare that costs $20 for 8 hours that our girl LOVES. She gets to be social and play and she comes home exhausted. I think right off is too soon for this, but after a few months, it could be a good option for you but again, the costs add up quickly. 

That being said, our pup is the best company and I completely adore her. Even when she's not doing what she's supposed to! We couldn't imagine not having her and I'm SO glad we did before having kids to get a small taste of having another being to take care of. 
  • PPs made a lot of great points about the work that goes into having a dog.  We don't have a dog now, but we will likely get one next year.  Before we get a dog, we want to save more money and get a bigger place.

We've never had an issue with dog allergies, but my parents currently have a hypoallergenic dog.  They got a hypoallergenic dog this time because they liked the fact that she doesn't shed.  Their dog is a Lhasa Apso/Maltese mix, and she is very loving and playful.  For exercise, she seems to adjust to my parents' activity level.  Some days they walk her for miles, and sometimes she goes a week between walks.  She entertains herself very well but will stand on somebody if she wants to get their attention.  She's a great dog, and I would recommend looking into those breeds if you want a smaller dog.
  • My cousins have a white Havanese and she is seriously just the sweetest thing ever. She is a hypoallergenic dog and they just love her.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm currently looking into the suggested breeds on my lunch break! haha 

Thank you so much for all the advice! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I hate the term "hypoallergenic". It doesn't actually exist. It is a myth created by dog breeders and the like to promote breeds and mixes to those who might not ordinarily buy dogs. (I am also strongly for adoption from a shelter or rescue organization).

All dogs produce dander, hair, and saliva. Just because some have hair, not fur, does not mean that they produce any less dander than other dogs. All dogs have skin cells that will be released, so no dog will ever be hypoallergenic. It is true, however, that since they don't shed fur (hair continuously grows until cut and does not shed as frequently) the dander isn't released with the hair. It also limits the exposure of the dander in the home since fur frequently gathers into hair-dust bunnies and embeds in carpet. Any dog with hair, not fur, would fit into this category, as well as hairless breeds. It does not have to be a specific breed.

Also, some may improperly contribute allergies to dogs when the allergen is actually something else. I know you said you have been tested and the allergy is mild. But not everyone does that. Dogs go outside and people could actually be allergic to the pollen in their coat, not the dog's dander.

You can find dogs with hair in shelters, normally a poodle or schnauzer mix. However, even dogs with hair can be high-allergy producers. I don't fully understand why, but some dogs just don't produce the same amount of the allergy-causing protein found in their dander and hair. It is a strictly individual thing, even among dogs in the same breed or even the same litter. This is why I think that you're just as well off getting a low-shedding dog with hair from a shelter as getting a "hypoallergenic" breed. If you and your FI don't react to the dog, I think you're in the clear, no matter what breed or mix it happens to be.

In your case, I would suggest fostering for a shelter or rescue organization that can be flexible with your situation. If the dog won't work for you, it can be returned to the shelter/previous foster or adopted to someone else, though not ideal. A foster-to-adopt arrangement would be good if you can find a dog that you like from a shelter or rescue and want to see if it works in your home and with your allergies. Or, you could try dog-sitting for a friend if you want to see how your lifestyle may change and what the responsibility is like.  

http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2011/07/study-hypoallergenic-dogs-do-not-exist/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/hypoallergenic-dog-claims-don-t-stand-up-1.1105503

http://healthland.time.com/2011/07/08/the-myth-of-the-hypoallergenic-dog/

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=97071783

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• @lkristenj That is a GREAT idea! Thank you!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2014
    Dogs that don't shed, such as poodles, bichon frises, havanese, poodle mixes (labradoodles), shcnauzers, Kerry blue terriers, Scotties, Westies etc....need to be professionally groomed every 2 months.  Good side is is keeps them smelling fresh and cuts down on dander. Bad news is it costs more than getting your own hair done. You will have to tidy up your dog between appointments by brushing, wiping it's eyes, ears, mouth and butt with baby wipes. All dogs need to have their teeth brushed. 

Vetrinary bills for my area run around $750 - $1000 for the first year, first checkup with vaccines, follow up, flea and tick preventive,  and spaying for $500 (neutering a male is less expensive). If the dog gets sick, extra vet $$. Rescue and shelter dogs are usually vetted with necessary shots and spayed/neutered before they're adopted out. 

Puppy or dog classes are important, especially if you have no experience with dogs. $180 for 8 sessions. 

I have never boarded my dogs, so I can't speak to the costs of that. But boarding or in home pet care is another expense to consider if you like to travel. 

You could look at the AKC.org website to get a look at various breeds. I'm a dog lover who is not opposed to buying from a reputable breeder. The advantage is they know their breed, they screen their clients, provide support and advice  and can help choose a pup that meets your needs. The advantage of taking a rescue or shelter dog is that you know you have saved a life and that in itself is very satisfying and it's less costly, most of the time. I'm blessed to have one of each.

ETA - Unless you live with her, your FMIL should mind her own business. 

• lkristenjlkristenj member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2014

I can speak a bit to boarding. I have a friend who boards our dogs in her home (it is her professional business, so not "just a friend" watching them). She gives us a small discount for being her friends and for supporting her since the beginning of her business (she's been doing this for 3 years). We pay her $30 per dog per day to keep our dogs in her house as if they were her own. She walks them like her normal dogs and they get to play with her dogs all day. She follows what we do at home as far as crating and feeding schedules. Since we have 3 dogs, it's not cheap to have her do it. If we can have a neighbor stop by and care for them, we'll do that instead and give the neighbor some cash, normally a lot less than my professional groomer/boarder/dog-walker friend.

ETA: Boarding in a facility can be more or less, depending. Of course, my city could be different than yours too. I like in-house boarding. Plus, she gives me updates on my phone.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• Get a yorkie!!!! They're the best. H and I are looking into getting one.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • This is all excellent information! I talked to FI a little last night, and we are going to really sit down and have a detailed discussion. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards