Not Engaged Yet

Isms about where you live

13»

Re: Isms about where you live

• caseface5 said:
    All of what @Phira and @loves2shop4shoes said. Also I'm not writing much because I am "tah-dee to the pah-tee". (That my friends is my accent. It comes out way more when I am drunk! It's funny because I live a half hour-40 minutes south of Boston but I have a heavier accent then those who live in town)
    @caseface5 are you from the South Shore? South Shore people definitely have their own accent that people that aren't from Massachusetts might think is a "Boston" accent. I have a really strong accent too. I'm from a neighborhood of Boston and each of the neighborhoods definitely have their own accent..at least people born and bred here do. Like I can identify a Southie accent.

Boston:
    I think someone already said it but we're generally not friendly. It's sad when you think about it but if a stranger says hi to me walking down the street I think it's weird.

We hate when people say they're from Boston when they're from some random ass town in Mass. You're from Gloucester/Braintree/Worcester..that's NOT Boston

• @Dignity100 It would make me sad that the Brits don't know where Nebraska is (that's where I'm originally from), but I find that most Americans also don't know where Nebraska is...that makes me sad.

I'm doing Western Nebraska since that is where I grew up:
    -There is more to Nebraska than Lincoln or Omaha....it even extends past North Platte
    -We don't care if you call it soda or pop...just don't call it Coke if you don't want a Coca Cola
    -Dressing up for a wedding includes black jeans, cowboy boots, and a cowboy hat
    -You have more than one cowboy hat, one for good occasions, one for everyday
    -The churches are empty at harvest time, it's the only acceptable excuse to not go
    -Driving 30 minutes to get somewhere is a short trip; driving an hour and a half to go shopping at the mall doesn't even make a person blink
    -While everyone is a Cornhusker's fan, those in Western Nebraska are a little more ehh about it
    -The school bus ride will take you an hour and a half, and you pick up 6 people in that time
    -All the boys are out of school for the first day of deer season; a lot of girls are too
    -We all have loaded unlocked rifles in the house, I don't know one person who has been harmed or harmed someone else because of this
    -The license plates all have numbers corresponding to the county at the beginning of the license plate

SITB
    I'll do the eastern half of Nebraska, since I'm from Omaha and went to school in Lincoln:
    - the whole state is not farm land, but most of it is.  Omaha metro area has a population of almost 900,000.  Its in the middle, people.
    - Lincoln is the capital but Omaha is bigger
    - Cornhusker football is like a religion, mostly because we have no pro teams
    - favorite state foods include Omaha steaks, corn, Runzas and Kool-Aid (Invented in Hastings)
    - public transit is practically non-existent.  
    - Real estate is dirt cheap here
    - On Husker game days, Memorial Stadium is the 3rd largest city in the state.  You do not plan your wedding on a game day if you want people to come.
    - Home to the Strategic Air Command which is a big part of America's defense system.  When 9-11 happened, they put W. on a plane and sent him here... of course if there's ever a nuclear war, we're toast.
    - Birthplace of: Gerald Ford, Marlon Brando, Andy Roddick, Henry Fonda, Fred Astaire, Nick Nolte Marge Helgenberger, Spam, and the Reuben
    - It's pop.
    - Husker fans have been called the nicest fans in college football, and we're proud of it.
    - Home to the world's largest indoor rain forest (Henry Doorly Zoo) and the College World Series
    - We have freezing weather with lots of snow and ice in winter (no school cancellations for that) and hot humid weather in summer.  Spring and fall last 5 days each
    -Yes, we do have paved roads, indoor plumbing and people of color here.  In fact, Nebraska is home to a large population of Sudanese refugees.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Kelani23 said:

@buddysmom80 Oh no! Binghamton is where BF is from and we'll probably just get married at his church up there :-P

I haven't spent much time there, but my BFF went to Binghamton University, and she thinks the same as you... there must be some nice places around there! :-\

Not really. My parents live 20 minutes outside of Bing and even though they live on nice waterfront property, their neighbors are a little off. You couldn't pay me to move there.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • @leese19 Yes I am from the South Shore. I think it's best described as directly between Boston and the Cape. On a daily basis I have a slight accent, but if I get going/mad/angry/drunk then I tend to sound like I'm walking down the street in Southie. 
    friends tv show funy
  • Kelani23 said:

@buddysmom80 Oh no! Binghamton is where BF is from and we'll probably just get married at his church up there :-P

I haven't spent much time there, but my BFF went to Binghamton University, and she thinks the same as you... there must be some nice places around there! :-\

BOOOOOO. (I used to work for one of their rivals.)

Binghamton is the most miserable place on earth. It's always gray and depressing, and I-88 is the worst road in the country. 

I question @buddysmom80's parent's sanity all the time for picking there to retire too. 

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I lived in Syracuse for a year, and I thought that was surely the most miserable place!  I'm not sure I've ever been in the city of Binghamton though, his family is from west of there, Owego.

Then again, I would live in either before I would live anywhere in NY south of Dutchess County!

Luckily BF doesn't seem to have any desire to return for any length of time, except that his family is very active in this particular church.  But you're right, it's not even a nice looking church!  I wouldn't get married in a Catholic church, but at least they usually look nice!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Pittsburgh, PA: -

-We put french fries on our salads. 

-Carbonated beverages are "pop".

-People who have a real Pittsburgh accent (not me!) are called "Yinzers"...they say things like "are yinz guys going out tonight?"

- Some yinzers add an "s" to the end of words like Walmarts instead of just Walmart, etc.

- There are "tunnel monsters" that people are afraid of and slow down when going through the tunnels.

- Hailing a cab (doesn't happen), or even calling and arranging for a cab is almost impossible.

- We are the steel city but the steel mills are gone...we do not live in a cloud of smog here (not in my lifetime).

@Pepperally You forgot to mention that the "fries" are not normal fries, they are these wimpy sticks of grease that are called fresh-cut french fries (not a fan if you couldn't tell)
  • @thetimewillcome - ah yes, you are correct about that.  they are limp and greasy, which kind of cancels out the idea of them being "fresh-cut". 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards