Wedding Reception Forum

What songs does NO ONE want to hear at their wedding?

Everyone knows that when you find your dream DJ you're going to have some must-play songs... But what songs would you NOT want to hear at your wedding reception? I ask because while I know I'll have some that immediately come to mind (hello Chicken Dance), I'm sure there will be some I forget and have a moment of horror if I hear them come over the loud speakers. So please ladies! What songs would you hate to have played at your wedding reception?

Re: What songs does NO ONE want to hear at their wedding?

• Soulja Boy, The Wobble, and Gangnam Style. I would spit actual fire.

Others I don't particularly care for, but if they're crowd pleasers, whatever. The three above I hate with a violent passion.

• We had a pretty short "do not play" list.  The Chicken Dance was definitely on there and so was the Macarena and the Electric Slide.  Other then that our DJ knew what music we were really into so most of the songs that would typically make me cringe to hear were never played even without us having to tell him.

• emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I don't really have strong feelings about this and we DJed ourselves so it wasn't an issue. But I always think it's weird when people play "No Children" by The Mountain Goats. Great song, without a doubt, but so not appropriate.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    I can stand most of these at kids' birthday parties, but the Chicken Dance, Bunny Hop, Hokey Pokey, Limbo, YMCA, Macarena, and Electric Slide are all dances I can't stand at weddings. 

There are some other songs, like "Every Breath You Take" that just don't seem appropriate at weddings due to the lyrics.

And personally, I hate "Unchained Melody."
  • kar5109kar5109 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    The Train (C'mon N Ride It)... My friend is DJ'ing our wedding and knows if he plays this song I will never speak to him again!
  • Our song choices were secondary to our guests' choices. We picked a few a we had to hear and we included a line on our RSVP cards do they could select songs they wanted to dance to. We had fast and slow songs. We had polkas and waltzes. We had all the choreographed songs. The only instrinstructions to the DJ were that he not play more than 3 of the same kind in a row and if the dance floor was empty he needed to switch the type of music. Our dance floor wad full all night long.
  • The chicken dance
  • "Clowny Clown Clown" by Crispin Glover!
  • OH! Single Ladies. I absolutely hate that song. 

I'm requesting the Chicken Dance though.

• "Chicago Bears Shuffle"!!!!
  • Anything that contained the N word and the words: ho, bitch etc…Also, Blurred Lines and that sort of crap.
  • AddieCake said:
    I wouldn't care what songs come on. I don't understand getting up in arms about this stuff. if you don't want to dance, don't. If you don't like a song, don't pay attention to it.
    This.  We had no "do not play" songs.  We told the DJ to read the crowd and play music that kept people on their feet.  If by chance a song was a flop, he said he would subtly end it mid way.  Honestly, I don't remember most of the songs played....I was too busy socializing most of the night.
  • "Don't Stop Believing" can suck a big fat one! That is my do-not play list.

Yup, it's on ours, too. FI hates it, and I just think it's over played and not all that amazing. To each their own!
  • FI and I are making our own playlist so we have talked about this a bit. The only thing we were concrete on was that we wanted absolutely no country.
  • "Don't Stop Believing" can suck a big fat one! That is my do-not play list.

That and Sweet Caroline are on my list of "only play if you absolutely must." We're having dueling pianos for 2 hours (followed by a DJ) and I know they've gotta be sick to death of playing them. Plus, I know my entire group of friends will yell "SO FUCKIN' GOOD" during Sweet Caroline and I don't particularly want that happening while there are kids around. :) 

• We told our DJ absolutely no group or choreographed dance songs.  He gave us a selection of genres, for which we said yes or no.  And we pointed out that the majority of our guests are either mid-late 30's or over 60, so age appropriate music. Beyond that, we expect him to be qualified enough to know what's good to play or what isn't.  And to know what works to keep the party going.  I figure that we are hiring a DJ for a reason.  He's a professional, has experience at weddings, and should know how to do his job correctly.

But, as far as no-play, I'd say anything with swearing.  Anything talking about cheating on your spouse (like, Lips of an Angel by Hinder).  Anything that talks about getting naked or sex (like, the Thong Song, It's getting Hot in Here, or any Barry White). Just kind of common sense stuff that isn't appropriate for a wedding or formal event.

• EricaCat1EricaCat1 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2014

"If You Wanna Be Happy" by Jimmy Soul. Lol. So wrong! Just don't.

"Cameltoe" by FannyPack

• EricaCat1 said:

"If You Wanna Be Happy" by Jimmy Soul. Lol. So wrong! Just don't.

"Cameltoe" by FannyPack

OMG "cameltoe" would be hilarious! I could see my mom bejng like "whats a cameltoe?" Lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had guests request songs with their RSVP, but ended up adding a couple of them to our do not play list: "Let it go" from Frozen and "Baby Got Back" were requests that became do not plays. Other than that, we said no Gagnam style, what does the fox say, anything by josh grobin, and anything with inappropriate lyrics (sex, drugs, violence)
  • That song that keeps saying "Ass" over and over.
  • Blue_Bird said:
    That song that keeps saying "Ass" over and over.
    ???
  • Yeah, I'm in the "nothing inappropriate for the setting and nothing juvenile" category also. I don't want to hear cheating songs, tons of foul language, angry breakup songs, or ridiculous things like Shout, YMCA or the Chicken Dance, and Baby Got Back is #1 on my do not play list -- I heard this played at a wedding once and was horrified. So nasty for that kind of occasion. I realize people want to dance and have fun too, but IMO it's still a wedding and the music selections should reflect that.
  • "Don't Stop Believing" is number 1 on my Do Not Play list
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    AddieCake said:
    I wouldn't care what songs come on. I don't understand getting up in arms about this stuff. if you don't want to dance, don't. If you don't like a song, don't pay attention to it.
    That's kind of hard if it's being blasted at top volume.  It might not even be a dance song that someone doesn't want played.

There are some songs and dances that my BF and I just don't want to hear, whether or not they are dance tunes.  It doesn't matter to anyone else why.  But "don't pay attention to it" isn't always possible.  There may be nowhere else to go while it's being played, and it may not be possible to hear anyone else over it.
  • Blue_Bird said:
    That song that keeps saying "Ass" over and over.

Or that song "Versace"... Basically anything that is only one word over and over and over again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards