Not Engaged Yet

WR, AW: Progress so far (PIP of potential wedding dresses)

edited June 2014 in Not Engaged Yet
We are booking the restaurant we wanted to have!! As soon as I find my checkbook. We'll do a buffet dinner of some sort - we get to pick two entrees, one potato/rice, one veggie, and three dressings for salad. They have fantastic food and a great bar - FI and I like going there for dinner, so being able to book the upstairs loft will be a lot of fun.

Also, my college minister agreed to marry us, which is awesome, awesome news. I was very active in the church during my undergrad years, and she was able to suggest other churches we could attend that I might like. I think we'll look at the ones closest to the house partly because I don't want to drive far for church. Also, if we have kids (borrowing trouble from tomorrow, I know), it would be better if they'd have a chance at seeing the kids they went to school with at church. It was hard for me as a kid in Sunday school because before my parents moved, I never saw the kids I went to school with at church. The church kids had a clique and I was kind of left out of it.

We are also booking our cake baker! There really wasn't a debate about who we were going to go with, it's more going to be what flavor(s) we pick. She's made my mom's birthday cake for the last three years and they've all been AMAZING. When she said we could pick up the cake and drive it an hour away from her, we were sold.

Flowers have been handled, too. FI has hay fever and I'm allergic to a lot of filler flowers, so we're doing fake ones. My mom is arranging them - it's something she felt strongly about, so have at it, mom. Here's samples of what we got:
Mini Cream Rose Bush
Cream Lily of the Valley Bush
Turquoise Gerbera Daisy Bundle

There were a couple other teal daisies from Michaels, but I can't find them quickly. Ah well.

And now dresses! I know I want a tea-length or knee-length dress, so here's what's offered at the bridal shop I'm going to tomorrow (according to the websites):

Allure 2507

Moonlight Tango T641

imageimageMoonlight Tango T643

Moonlight Tango T650

Alfred Angelo 2429

Alfred Angelo 2212T

Re: WR, AW: Progress so far (PIP of potential wedding dresses)

• I just LOVE Dress #1!!!!
  • I love the last dress!!!  I also love the first dress, but I love the last dress more.

Congrats on getting stuff done!!

Anniversary
  • I love the 1st and the 5th dress.  Yay it sounds like plans are coming along great!

Anniversary

• omg I LOVE the first one - it's ADORABLE. And I also am in love with that lacey Alfred Angelo one!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I LOVE the first dress!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • The first dress is so gorgeous!!
  • I also love the first one!
    friends tv show funy
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    That first one is my absolute favorite! Confession...I don't like tea length dresses. I think the length is awkward and not very flattering because of the way it cuts off. Knee length dresses all the way! The ones you shared are all beautiful...but I love the first above and beyond them all!

• Love all of your plans!!! I love the first dress, too! I was going for tea length at first and also pinned that dress as my top choice! love it!
  • yay!!!! How exciting!! I love the second to last dress the best, but they are all amazing!
    Anniversary

• Dresses #1 & #5 are my faves - I loveeeee them!

Congrats on all the other awesome stuff!! My godmother actually agreed today to marry us, so we've got the officiant down too :) 

Also, don't forget, when trying on dresses - pics or it didn't happen! ;)

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I also like #1 and #5!  Neither look terribly "bridal" though, so I would definitely see about getting a BM dress and maybe jazzing up with a belt or something for some cost savings.

Are you typically allowed to take pics in a bridal store these days?

I went several when I was looking and was only allowed in one!  My sister went to Alfred Angelo (and that's it!) about 3 years ago though and they didn't seem to care.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm kind of scared of #1 - I mean, I'll try it on, but it's awfully low-cut for me. No matter what length I end up getting (proper "tea length" or knee length), I'm having it altered to cover my knees because my knees are weird (in that all knees are weird).

Congrats on having an officiant, @goldenpenguin, and especially one that close to you! Not sure there'll be pics of trying on dresses - my phone sends pics somewhere into the Twilight Zone and my mom's not really good with her camera phone, plus of course it depends on whether the salon lets us photograph or not. I hope to have pics, though!
  • ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
    edited June 2014

Kelani23 said:

I also like #1 and #5!  Neither look terribly "bridal" though, so I would definitely see about getting a BM dress and maybe jazzing up with a belt or something for some cost savings.

I went several when I was looking and was only allowed in one!  My sister went to Alfred Angelo (and that's it!) about 3 years ago though and they didn't seem to care.

@KeptInStitches these are all VERY bridal...I could never wear any of these dresses out somewhere unless it was to my own wedding.
    Anniversary

• I went with the intentions of just getting a BM dress and jacking it up, but when I got there and compared the bridal quality to the BM quality it was just...ick...could not do the BM dresses. 

I agree the first one is pretty low cut and you'd definitely just have to see how low it goes on you, plus they can add a "modesty" piece to make it less low-cut if you really like it otherwise.  I also love the second to the last one as well.  Anyway, good luck!  And don't be afraid to try on things you never even thought of trying on.  I bought a dress that, if I had based it on how it looks in pics online, I would have never even considered.  You never really know what looks good on YOU.  HAVE A BLAST!

• I love #1! 
  • I'm not a huge fan of the 3/4 length dresses...but everything else is STUNNING! Love your taste.
  • omg @kelani23 you just need to really think before posting. Like your posts come off as really rude. This is someone's bridal gown, ffs.
    amen.

Anniversary

• TwoDimes said:
    Kelani23 said:

I also like #1 and #5!  Neither look terribly "bridal" though, so I would definitely see about getting a BM dress and maybe jazzing up with a belt or something for some cost savings.

Yesterday with the drugs, and now this...? You have weird advice.

I guess maybe it's different, but that last one reminded me of some BM dresses I tried on at AA, so I thought I would throw it out there.  The first one actually looks a lot like the one my sister went with, although it was a halter top rather than a deep V neck.

@phira even said she tried sleep aids, and I still don't think it's invalid to take control of your own sleep as much as you can.  If I can't sleep, I would take a benedryl before I would stay up all night at the mercy of someone else.  When I go to BF's parents house, the bed is too small for my comfort, so I always knock myself out so I can get some sleep rather than none.

• Kelani23 said:
    TwoDimes said:
    Kelani23 said:

Yesterday with the drugs, and now this...? You have weird advice.

I guess maybe it's different, but that last one reminded me of some BM dresses I tried on at AA, so I thought I would throw it out there.  The first one actually looks a lot like the one my sister went with, although it was a halter top rather than a deep V neck.

@phira even said she tried sleep aids, and I still don't think it's invalid to take control of your own sleep as much as you can.  If I can't sleep, I would take a benedryl before I would stay up all night at the mercy of someone else.  When I go to BF's parents house, the bed is too small for my comfort, so I always knock myself out so I can get some sleep rather than none.

And if my bridal gown turns out to be a BM dress, does it matter in the least? It's the dress I'm wearing for my wedding. It doesn't matter how it's pitched.
  • Swazzle said:
    I don't usually love tea-length dresses but I absolutely ADORE #4. They're all really, really pretty but that one is my favorite :)

@kelani23 - Prince will be following you around until you stop giving the shittiest advice ever.

Yuck, he's so gross!
    But his bday is tomorrow, FYI.

• ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
    edited June 2014
    @kelani23 You're Your statement about Stitches' dress sounded like you were saying that because its a tea length dress and not a full length dress that it was somehow not as 'bridal'.  You don't have to wear a full length dress to look like a bride.

ETA: grammar FAIL. YOUR. not you're. How embarrassing.
    Anniversary

• omg @kelani23 you just need to really think before posting. Like your posts come off as really rude. This is someone's bridal gown, ffs.
    amen.

Sorry, I didn't mean it like that!

It was something I had thought about before, and I would definitely look at them if I wanted something short!  I think there would be a lot more options, because I would imagine most traditional designers don't do many gowns in a shorter length.

And my AA BM dress was just below my knee and I had to have it taken up to be as short as my sister wanted.  It could have been really cute with a jeweled belt!

• I love love love short wedding dresses! I hope you share some pictures with us after your shopping trip!!

• @kelani23 You're Your statement about Stitches' dress sounded like you were saying that because its a tea length dress and not a full length dress that it was somehow not as 'bridal'.  You don't have to wear a full length dress to look like a bride.

ETA: grammar FAIL. YOUR. not you're. How embarrassing.

I meant she shouldn't be pigeonholed into the ones that are marketed as "for brides" because there wouldn't be as many to choose from!

Even though I don't think many people have their bridesmaids wear white, I've heard they are almost all available in white, so you can have more choices if you open up that possibility, and if they are a little too simple, you can spice them up with alterations or accessories (and save money in the process, which would be #1 to me!).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards