Chit Chat

Update - OMG - priest made her buy a new dress

edited June 2014 in Chit Chat
Had to share this BSC story...
During marriage prep the priest asked a bride I know about her wedding dress. She told him it was champagne colored.
He told her it had to be white and he would not marry her if her dress wasn't white. It had nothing to do with modesty, style, or anything else - just the color. He said wedding dresses should be white and only white. =-O

She bought a new dress and is going to try and sell the champagne colored dress.

CAN YOU IMAGINE??? I would have would a new church or gotten married at the venue - I would NOT have bought a new dress. The good news is she likes the new dress even better, but still - the nerve of that man!

Update - The wedding ceremony is taking place at the cathedral - so telling the bishop on the priest probably wouldn't do much good. For all I know the bishop is marrying them or made the ridiculous rule.
:kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

Re: Update - OMG - priest made her buy a new dress

• Are you kidding me?! That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. There is no way I would have bought a new dress. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• That is ridiculous! The officiant should NEVER be able to dictate the color - I'd have a new officiant.
  • She actually bought a new dress? I would have been looking for a new officiant.
  • I'd go shopping for a new officiant as well!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • What the fuck. I would Have lost my shit.

What a fucking douche nozzle

Anniversary
  • That's crazy! I would understand if it was an issue of modesty but color? Are you kidding me?

I would be looking to get married elsewhere.
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    sarahufl said:
    I would have kept the dress and gotten a new officiant.
    This, absolutely. 
  • That's ridiculous. There is no way I would have bought a new dress. I would have gotten a new officiant instead.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I would have told him it's none of his business. What would he have done if she wore it anyway? It;s not like he's going to turn her away once she's down the aisle.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • An issue with the color of the dress what NOT what I expected to read when I clicked on this thread...  lol
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Fuck that. Would not have happened!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Hell the fuck no. I would've told him he's lucky he's got the lord on his side and I'd be scavenging for a new church ASAP.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I have heard about certain churches wanting you to look modest, but never an issue with color! Jeeze.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Apparently the bride's parents are super duper Catholic and it's their church, so a new officiant or church was not an option. I literally could not believe it when I heard.

I guess she didn't want to risk it @HobokensFury since he said he would not marry her if she wasn't in white.

It's not like the dress is skimpy or skanky. It's not blood red, all black or glow in the dark neon - not that any of those colors should be an issue either. 

BUT then I'm used tot he Catholic church telling me what I can and can't do - even on the things they should have absolutely NO say on!!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• @JCBride2015 you should've seen the eyeball we got from FI's crazy grandma when I mentioned the ceremony is going to be officiated by a JOP.

She's not religious at all, but I can tell she's gonna be rumbling like a crabby volcano about it. I know she won't say anything to US, but the drama will give me many chuckles.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    @JCBride2015 you should've seen the eyeball we got from FI's crazy grandma when I mentioned the ceremony is going to be officiated by a JOP.

She's not religious at all, but I can tell she's gonna be rumbling like a crabby volcano about it. I know she won't say anything to US, but the drama will give me many chuckles.
    We already had plenty o' drama when Fi's grandfather asked us (in Italian, with FMIL translating) what Catholic church we were getting married in.  Ummm.... we are not Catholic.  So that would be no church.

This was the only time in wedding planning I have truly been angry at Fi.  He didn't know what to say, and he got really awkward, so he got up and left the table while Grandpa was wailing in Italian, and FMIL started asking us to reconsider.  Left the room.  We had a BIG talk about that one later.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• She should have asked to see the written dress code for weddings. I know some priests have rules about modesty - covered shoulders for instance, but that's ridiculous. Since she's already bought the new dress, and apparently wants that particular priest to marry them - she should deduct the cost from her 'donation.'

• beethery said:
    @JCBride2015 you should've seen the eyeball we got from FI's crazy grandma when I mentioned the ceremony is going to be officiated by a JOP.

We already had plenty o' drama when Fi's grandfather asked us (in Italian, with FMIL translating) what Catholic church we were getting married in.  Ummm.... we are not Catholic.  So that would be no church.

This was the only time in wedding planning I have truly been angry at Fi.  He didn't know what to say, and he got really awkward, so he got up and left the table while Grandpa was wailing in Italian, and FMIL started asking us to reconsider.  Left the room.  We had a BIG talk about that one later.
    FI has only experienced being party to an angry Italian tirade ONCE, luckily it was not our issue. Nonni was BULLSHIT because grandpa wanted her to sit down and eat instead of standing at the sink. She's kinda nuts. FI did enjoy the translation because he got to learn what 'vaffanculo' meant. Luckily grandpa doesn't understand italian, and knows that whatever she's saying is best left untranslated.

I'm hoping FMIL's side of the family doesn't have a shitfit. French-Canadian Catholic, and one Aunt and Uncle like to foist it upon people.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    If her dress isn't white it means she isn't a virgin which means that her marriage is invalid and she is worth nothing and shes going to hell. Don't you guys know anything????
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• MagicInk said:
    But...God created all the colors. Doesn't God love all colors equally?
    God does but that priest is putting words and color choices in God's... mouth? I guess?
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• That is ridiculous. There is no way I would have bought a new dress.
  • I would be making a call to the bishop to inform him that this BSC priest needs to get his head out of his ass and look up what Canon says about wedding dress colors. HINT: not a damn thing. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards