Wedding Etiquette Forum

Article on wedding photography and 'unplugged' weddings

What do you think?  I've seen this discussed on the board before, but I think the photog makes some excellent points.  Is there any polite way/etiquette approved way of conveying it?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bridal-guide/why-you-might-want-to-con_b_3331528.html

Re: Article on wedding photography and 'unplugged' weddings

• vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Holy crap! This discussion again!? Any decent photographer can take photos with other people taking photos.  A decent photographer will take 1000's of photos at the wedding.  Any decent photographer can look and a room and know where the best vantage point is.  

This is such a crap excuse from the photographers because they want to sell photos or they are lazy and don't have the brain capacity to work around guests.  

ROCK IS KING!!
  • vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Not to mention, if our friends and family did not take their own pictures during the ceremony and reception, then we would have no pictures of our friends and family.  Our photographer and assistant took hundreds of pictures of stuff, the dress, the rings, the shoes, the programs in all of these artsy settings.  What he did not take pictures of were the people that came.  This was after we explicitly told him we want people pictures, not 500 cake pictures.  We actually got a partial refund because we had it written in the contract.

So, having people put down their own cameras can backfire.  
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Uuuuuugh. Not again with this article, please!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    Here. Here's 15 pages on this from one thread alone on this topic if you want to know people's thoughts on it:

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Is it too early to start drinking for Bingo squares?
    ~*~*~*~*~

• chibiyui said:
    The problem with almost all of those examples in the article is that they aren't caused by people with cell phones and cameras. They're caused by assholes.
    If anyone can start a thread on how to stop other people from being assholes, I would read more than 15 pages of it. Sadly, I think it's not possible. 
  • My pro wedding pics include three very close family members with cameras in their hands for the entire day. My FIL has his camera in his hands in the processional, complete with bright yellow strap swinging. In reality, it's slightly irritating (more like a blip on my radar) but what was I going to do? There people are my nearest and dearest and are clueless. I couldn't control everything. I think what actually irks me is that these people now choose to use their wedding images (some of which are not flattering!) in lieu of my pro pics because they "don't want to bother me" to ask for the pro pic files! I paid for the image files and will happily disburse! Anyway, clueless people will be clueless. There's no way to legislate or administrate to prevent it. @AddieCake‌ - nice work being quick to post the link to the beaten horse thread
  • I can't even with that article any longer.
  • Oh have you seen it discussed before? 

• Stop with the article. FYI all my friends who are professional photographers who read this article said that it is bullshit and that this person must not be a very good photographer.
  • I love photography. I'm not professional by any stretch of the imagination but even I could've done better. And, seriously, she's going to take pictures of the guest taking pictures? Why? It's not like she was getting paid to photograph a little boy and his iPhone.
  • Maybe I was just lucky because I got married on a stage....but my photographer did NOT have this issue at all.
  • I know for a fact that my guests took pictures, but all of them were considerate enough to be discreet and only take a few here and there. The only issue was my videographer uncle who is in almost every ceremony shot squatting in his shorts. Ew. My mom asked him to tape the ceremony and never told me. Oh well. Photoshop is my friend.
  • I'm not a photographer at all and I can barely work a camera, but I know I could get many good, unobstructed shots at a wedding. If I can do it, a professonal photographer sure can.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards