Wedding Etiquette Forum

Home cooked RD?

2»

Re: Home cooked RD?

• Now I want butternut squash and spinach lasagna. But it's summer. Dammit.

I ALWAYS want this but H doesn't like it :(
  • I think a home-cooked RD would be very nice.  There's certainly no requirement that it be in a restaurant.

I ALWAYS want this but H doesn't like it :(

Come over; we'll bake it in the grill somehow! :-p

• @angusaur and @blabla89, we share the same wedding month and I'm so behind!!!! Argh! As PP's noted, a home cooked RD sounds awesome. Personally, when we attend parties I get excited when the food will be home cooked because a lot of our family members are amazing cooks! Throw in some wine( or tequila), and I'll love you for life.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2014
    We had a home cooked RD cooked by my in laws.  It was a taco bar plus smoked salmon and all sorts of stuff and pies and cheesecake (H requested the cheesecake) for desert.  It was amazing and everyone loved it as far as I know.

I don't really care what the RD is as long as it tastes decent.  :p
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    We had quite a few people at our RD so cooking was out of the question, but we had Qdoba cater and people loved it. For 30 people the food cost $413 and we spent around another $100 on beer, wine, and pop, and another $100 for table/chair rental. It was out of FI's parents' garage and it was low-key, which is what we were going for. Fancy restaurants for RDs are overrated. If we'd had a smaller group I would've loved to have cooked, but Qdoba delivered and set up and it was very easy.
  • I'm more comfortable at a home than at a restaurant when I'm trying to socialize and drink. It gives me more time and it's relaxing! 

• Well, I talked to FMIL today and she was nice and chatty, asking how many OOT guests and saying that she'll look up restaurants near the venue. So I guess the restaurant RD is back on. However we're not going to send out invitations until the last minute, so that we can revert to our plan for a small, home-cooked dinner if FMIL gets upset again.

Also I'm starting to think FMIL is bipolar. I mentioned this to FI and he confirmed that, yes, he saw a bottle of her meds sitting out on the counter. I have a feeling the next 10 months are going to be a roller coaster.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• blabla89 said:
    Well, I talked to FMIL today and she was nice and chatty, asking how many OOT guests and saying that she'll look up restaurants near the venue. So I guess the restaurant RD is back on. However we're not going to send out invitations until the last minute, so that we can revert to our plan for a small, home-cooked dinner if FMIL gets upset again.

Also I'm starting to think FMIL is bipolar. I mentioned this to FI and he confirmed that, yes, he saw a bottle of her meds sitting out on the counter. I have a feeling the next 10 months are going to be a roller coaster.
    If she pulls any shit again, I would tell her that you're taking care of the RD. You need to learn now that she doesn't get to jerk you around. 
  • I think it sounds lovely.  Our RD was a casual cook out with burgers (and veggie burgers), grilled chicken, and a bunch of side dishes.  With iced tea, pop, wine, and beer.  Nothing fancy, and everyone had a great time.

One word of caution though, in the days running up to your wedding, you will be busier than you think you will.  Make sure you budget extra time for cooking.  I like PPs suggestions of making something beforehand (heck, even the week before and freezing it) and then just popping it in the oven the day of the RD.
  • We had a backyard RD. I made taco salad, there were chips, in laws bought pizza and made sloppy joes as well as supplied the beer. I think there were a few other things, too.

As it turned out it was also the birthday of one of our groomsmen so we had a cake made by our cake baker for it.

For our circle, this was the perfect RD. 
    ~*~June 21, 2014~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards