Chit Chat

NWR: Kendall Jones Discussion

2»

Re: NWR: Kendall Jones Discussion

• lyndausvi said:
    We stayed at a lodge located in Sabi Sands reserver in South Africa.  It's near Kruger.
    I'll have to look into something like that. It looks awesome!
    I've been to a lot of places around the world.  Stood on the Great Wall, top of the Eiffel Tower. beaches of Bail, ruins of Pompeii.   This is way up there in favorite places I've ever been to.   

It's a bucket list must.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    Oh, I guess Facebook has deleted her photos now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/06/facebook-deletes-kendall-jones-cheerleader-hunt-photos_n_5556736.html

Apparently, the photos "promote poaching of endangered species, the sale of animals for organized fight or content that includes extreme acts of animal abuse."

Ehhhh, I think that's a bit of a stretch.

ETF Formatting
  • @ashley8919 I wonder if Facebook will delete all of the photos of men doing the same exact thing. Or if they will delete all of the photos of people posed with deer.

People are outraged only because they see these animals as cute or something but hold men to a different standard. Apparently, not all animals are created equally.

• All I have to say is that when you post pictures on FB or any other social media site, you open yourself up to be judged and ridiculed and praised and supported and what not.

Social media is a double edged sword.  On one hand it is easier to know what it is going on in the world and get news at the tap of a button.  But on the other hand, it opens you up for scrutiny 24/7. If it weren't for FB would anyone even really know about this girl and her big game hunting habits? Probably not.  Would it have blown up to the proportion that it has?  Nope.  She could have gone on with her life doing what she does and all the uninformed arguments that have begun because of it would have never happened.

So as with everything in life, one should probably think before they post and decide whether or not they want to put themselves out there for judgement.

• good question emma.       I have hunter friends who post pictures with their kills every season.   Deer, turkey, moose, elk, I've seen them all.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • "Legal" hunt or no, this is the glorification of a kill mentality, and makes me vomit to look at it. I can't even. I actually got sick to my stomach seeing her posing on the body of that beautiful lion. If she can't see the wrong in this, I have a few suggestions on where she can shove that elephant tusk. Yes, I feel something like hatred when I see these pictures. Gross. Dead animal bodies are not cute photo ops. 
    I agree with this. 
  • emmaaa said:
    @ashley8919 I wonder if Facebook will delete all of the photos of men doing the same exact thing. Or if they will delete all of the photos of people posed with deer.

People are outraged only because they see these animals as cute or something but hold men to a different standard. Apparently, not all animals are created equally.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. I mean, seriously?
  • And I'm just as upset when I see pictures of men posing with their kills (deer, etc.). 
  • @emmaaa  No, I'm not an African ecology expert, but I don't have to be one to see through the stupidity of her arguments.  I don't have a problem with hunting in general. I have quite a lot of hunter friends. They hunt don't for the thrill, but for the food. Humans don't eat lions or other predators. Hunting those animals is only for the thrill and takes away the predator in the ecosystem, upsetting the balance. Whether that lion is in a pride or is a loner is irrelevant. 

What I do have a problem with is using bogus reasons for justifying the reason for killing a young male lion in his prime for conservation reasons.  It's not like their numbers have to be culled or anything. She just wanted the "Big 5"   I'm sorry that isn't a conservation reason for hunting. She also killed animals that are rare, animals that are on the endangered species list. Ummm, they shouldn't be killed for any reason except by other animals who are hunting them. Humans can find other sources of meat for sustenance or they will have to once they are extinct anyway. So yeah, I'm still gonna judge her hardcore on that one. Along with the elephants and rhinos. 

• And I'm just as upset when I see pictures of men posing with their kills (deer, etc.). 
    but the question is FB going to take down those pictures also?

• lyndausvi said:
    And I'm just as upset when I see pictures of men posing with their kills (deer, etc.). 
    but the question is FB going to take down those pictures also?
    If FB starts to take down all pictures that could potentially offend someone then they may as well not allow people to post pictures, or heck, even post anything period.

If people don't like certain things they can either block, unfriend, hide or scroll past it.
    Agreed. I mean, I am horribly offended when people post nasty things about women who have had an abortion, or want to use birth control. As a result, they have been unfriended. The end.
  • kat1114 said:
    I understand that it's legal and why it's done. The thing that bothers me is her boastful attitude and taking smiling pictures next to her "trophies." I find it disturbing that someone could find such joy and happiness in killing one of these majestic animals. If she was doing this without all the fanfare, I wouldn't be offended. 

"Legal" hunt or no, this is the glorification of a kill mentality, and makes me vomit to look at it. I can't even. I actually got sick to my stomach seeing her posing on the body of that beautiful lion. If she can't see the wrong in this, I have a few suggestions on where she can shove that elephant tusk. Yes, I feel something like hatred when I see these pictures. Gross. Dead animal bodies are not cute photo ops. 
    I agree with this. 

I agree with all of these posts. Hunting is just awful in general, and posing next to something you kill is really cruel and disgusting. I give zero fucks that she's a girl, I feel for the poor animals.
    I agree with all this. I was particularly sad to her posing with a dead elephant. I honestly don't care that she is blond or female. I just cared that the elephant was dead.
  • ohannabelleohannabelle member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    SBmini said: Here's my take on it- Agree or disagree with her, but making a big show over what she is doing is only helping her. This is the internet and America. You can't just take someone's page down because you disagree with them! That isn't how any of this works. If you don't like what she does- ignore her. Getting all upset about it is just getting her more attention.

SIB:

Respectfully disagree. If I don't like what someone has done, and get all upset about them, I agree that I would not "take their page down, " if it were my site and within my power. 

don't agree that I should ignore things that I find offensive, disgusting, and upsetting. Because if the original poster has disgusted and offended me to the degree that this revolting little girl has, then they have also provided me (or other like minded people) with an excellent opportunity to express my (our) contempt and opposing opinion.

Ignoring things that I consider to be heinous wrongs are not a responsible option, for me. Public awareness and education about the wrong are my option. 
  • @ohannabella - You don't have to ignore it but you also don't get to demand that anything that offends you is taken off of Facebook. You can certainly do something about it like raise awareness or figure out how you can be a part of changing the laws but just getting the pictures off facebook because they offend you isn't doing anything for your cause.

• This chick gives me the heebie-jeebies.  Ick.

• Hahahahaha! This is wonderful: CLICKY
  • Hahahahaha! This is wonderful: CLICKY
    Could you fill me in? My work computer won't let me open this...sigh.

• l9il9i member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper

I'm not upset with this.  You could debate the lion pride thing, am I no expert to say if that's a stretch for conservation, but they were all legal and in no way was it poaching.  My issue only comes when people hunt simply for the mount and the animal is wasted.  However, it was stated that the meat was given to local villages.  I've gone hunting, I took pictures, and we ate the meat. 

I do agree that most people find issues because they view the animals as magestic and as with any issue, it's not for everyone.  I'd much rather see this than see how animals are raised and killed commercially for food.  I also agree with however made the zoo comment... I get it for rehibilitating animals and then releasing them, but animals that live their whole life their for entertainment makes me sad.

• edited July 2014
    My husband is a hunter and I have a minor in animal science.

It's an interesting balance -  for example, I won't allow guns in our home, but I will eat the venison he brings home. I eat meat, but probably wouldn't if I had to kill it. I've been thinking more about lately and have even considered going bow hunting with my husband this fall...but I probably won't bc I don't want to sit silently for several hours freezing my ass off up a tree.

Personally I think what she is doing is bad for the sport. IMHO, she is an attention whore, plan and smile. She is not doing this as a conservationist or humanitarian, she is doing it to get a TV show. She CLEARLY and repeatedly says that she wants a TV show.

The reason the villagers are fed and she can claim it is about feeding the hungry is bc the locals can't afford to buy the permits to harvest the animals themselves. I knew a man who paid a lot of money to harvest (hunt/kill) an elephant, he told me the same thing proudly...about how the villagers walked 3 days to get the elephant flesh sitting our in the hot African sun. How he tipped the man who made him a bracelet with the hair from the elephant's tail 100%...this main proudly told me how generous he was for paying a man $10 for braid ass hair and then the awesome guy that he was and threw in an extra $10. Then he paid thousands of dollars to be permitted to keep the ivory tusks - bet you didn't know that despite it being illegal to have ivory, you can in fact pay insane amounts of money for the pleasure of doing so.

If you are hunting for the benefit of others - one of her claims, then haul the carcass into town promptly - don;t make the villagers walk for days to get to it. Take the time effort, and little bit of money to help these people, if that's why you are allegedly hunting. When my husband has donated deer to Hunters Feeding the Hungry he takes it tot he processor, he doesn't leave it out and make the hungry people walk to it and carry back the rotting meat in a pot. I just don't buy her better than thou statements on it being about feeding the hungry. It's all about making a name for herself and hunting the Big 5.

Not to mention she proudly displayed a photo of the items she was "really excited" to give tot he local school children...it was a couple bags of candy and a few school supplies. It could not have been more than $30 worth of stuff. Again, I think she is purely an attention whore.

I get the conservation part, but I it troubles me - I hate that animals have a price/value and that's why a lot of conservation programs exist. I don't like the idea of raising endangered or threatened animals so they can be hunted for sport, but by doing so it increases their numbers  - so that's good. I also understand the need to harvest animals whose numbers are problematic, etc - I just don't like that wealthy folks paid BIG bucks to do so rather than allowing for a locals to harvest themselves.

Think of it this way - can you imagine the outcry if other people were allowed to come in a pay big money to hunt bald eagles? People would be flipping their $h*t!!! We not believe them when they said it was about conservation and feeding the hungry. 

I believe you should harvest what you need to feed your family. We should have plans in place to control problem populations and all usable meat should go to the hunters or programs that feed the hungry. I don't think an attention whore she be awarded a TV and made an internet sensation. The people on the hunting shows DH watches (and I watch with him sometimes) are experts who were offered shows bc they were the best in their field - not some pretty face who is doing everything she can to be controversial so she can get a TV show.

WOW! Sorry that was so long.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• @photokitty You should try bow hunting. Depending on where you live (I'm in NC) it is still warm outside when the season starts. The only drawback is that you have to extra quiet and have no scent because you have to be closer to the deer before you can shoot. 

• emmaaa said:
    @photokitty You should try bow hunting. Depending on where you live (I'm in NC) it is still warm outside when the season starts. The only drawback is that you have to extra quiet and have no scent because you have to be closer to the deer before you can shoot. 
    If I tried anything it would be bow. I went to shooting range once just to try it so that I could say I had fired and held and gun and that I still did not like them. I was a little bummed bc I was actually a good shot.

I don't like the idea of killing an animal and I worry how I would feel about myself afterwards - I worry that I wouldn't be able to undo it if I felt guilty or bad. I have no ill feels about others harvesting animals, I just do know that I could. We'll see. Right now DH doesn't own a bow I can pull (I can draw 40 currently and his lowest is 45) and I wouldn't use a cross bow, I'd want to feel like I earned it and a cross bow seems to easy. 

We've talked about me getting a bow and taking up target shooting. It's just not a priority money wise right now.

We'll see...I might do it one day or go vegan if I can't :-p
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• emmaaa said:
    @photokitty You should try bow hunting. Depending on where you live (I'm in NC) it is still warm outside when the season starts. The only drawback is that you have to extra quiet and have no scent because you have to be closer to the deer before you can shoot. 
    If I tried anything it would be bow. I went to shooting range once just to try it so that I could say I had fired and held and gun and that I still did not like them. I was a little bummed bc I was actually a good shot.

I don't like the idea of killing an animal and I worry how I would feel about myself afterwards - I worry that I wouldn't be able to undo it if I felt guilty or bad. I have no ill feels about others harvesting animals, I just do know that I could. We'll see. Right now DH doesn't own a bow I can pull (I can draw 40 currently and his lowest is 45) and I wouldn't use a cross bow, I'd want to feel like I earned it and a cross bow seems to easy. 

We've talked about me getting a bow and taking up target shooting. It's just not a priority money wise right now.

We'll see...I might do it one day or go vegan if I can't :-p
    I'm an archer and I really enjoy it, but I can't seem to get close enough to actually hunt anything.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards