Not Engaged Yet
Options

New Here! And are we overly cautious?

ethereal219ethereal219 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited July 2014 in Not Engaged Yet
Hi everyone! I just found this board and thought I would take the opportunity to introduce myself and get to know you all. 

My name is Emily, and my boyfriend Joe and I have been together nearly a year. Just a few things about me, I'm a grad student starting a doctoral program in English literature this fall. I LOVE to travel and have moved around a lot over the past 6 years (I've lived in 4 different cities on 2 continents, and studied for a summer on a third continent), which meant it wasn't too big of an adjustment when I started dating an army officer lol. I'm really nerdy and love Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, the Big Bang Theory, and various historical figures. I'm also slightly obsessed with penguins and anything Chicago or New Orleans. Let me know if you'd like to know anything more about me. Sorry if I overloaded you! 

Anyway, on to my actual question. My boyfriend and I have decided that we are going to get married someday. However, we are not engaged yet and will not be for a while yet. Neither one of us feels comfortable with an engagement before we've been together for at least a year and honestly, it'll probably be a while after that. That's not to say that people who get engaged that quickly are doing anything wrong by any means! We know tons of people who have gotten engaged quickly and have very happy marriages. My parents were married within a year of their 1st date and are still happily married 26 years later. It's just that we are both very cautious people, and we feel that for us, getting engaged in less than a year would be too soon. 

Our families, however, think that we're crazy. My mom kept hinting that maybe he would propose on this last vacation, or that he'll propose on our one-year anniversary weekend. I tried to tell her that he and I would be sitting down and having a very serious discussion about our plans for the future, and our timeline for all of these steps, before that happens (this would also be when I would give him my preferences on rings, since he absolutely does not want to surprise me on that count). She wants to know what we have left to discuss, since we've already told each other we would like to be married someday. And his family has been asking him about our plans since about 3 months in! 

I am really happy with where we are in our relationship, and I feel very comfortable with the plan we have for an eventual engagement. As much as I am romantic and love weddings and such, I am at heart a very practical and cautious person, and so our process makes sense to me. Joe feels the same way about the whole thing. But maybe we are crazy and are over-thinking and over-planning this whole thing. Or maybe we should just continue to do our own thing. Thoughts? Thanks for any advice! I really appreciate it :)

Edited to fix spacing. Sorry, getting the hang of this!

Re: New Here! And are we overly cautious?

• Options
    I think you sound like a breath of fresh air compared to the usual new people that come to this board! I think it's great that you and your BF are on the same page and that your families are so supportive of your relationship. I wouldn't rush things just because of outside opinions which it seems like you wouldn't do anyway. 

All that said, welcome to NEY!

How do you feel about guacamole?
    What's your favorite alcoholic beverage?
    Favorite place you've traveled?

• Options
    Wow you are refreshing compared to what has been around here lately!

I think just doing your own thing is completely fine! It doesn't sound like you're over-thinking things or being over cautious. You and your BF decide when the time is right and if waiting is right for you then continue to enjoy your relationship and take some time to discuss your ideas of rings and what not that you're still unsure about.

What continents did you live on?
  • Options
    Why hello!

I think you are sane.  And if you haven't read the tuesday chatter post yet, you will notice that I would have kicked someone in the teeth if they asked me when we were getting married :)  I think it's really important for you to be able to tell your (and his) family and friends where you are in your relationship and simply that your impending marriage isn't your #1 OMG GOTTADOTHISNOW priority.  I'm sorry in advance for ruining the English language there!

Have any good crafts I should do today?  I'm bored haha.
    Also, what's your favorite cheese?
    If you had to live forever without one food, what would you choose?
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    Hi everyone! I just found this board and thought I would take the opportunity to introduce myself and get to know you all. 

My name is Emily, and my boyfriend Joe and I have been together nearly a year. Just a few things about me, I'm a grad student starting a doctoral program in English literature this fall. I LOVE to travel and have moved around a lot over the past 6 years (I've lived in 4 different cities on 2 continents, and studied for a summer on a third continent), which meant it wasn't too big of an adjustment when I started dating an army officer lol. I'm really nerdy and love Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, the Big Bang Theory, and various historical figures. I'm also slightly obsessed with penguins and anything Chicago or New Orleans. Let me know if you'd like to know anything more about me. Sorry if I overloaded you! 

Anyway, on to my actual question. My boyfriend and I have decided that we are going to get married someday. However, we are not engaged yet and will not be for a while yet. Neither one of us feels comfortable with an engagement before we've been together for at least a year and honestly, it'll probably be a while after that. That's not to say that people who get engaged that quickly are doing anything wrong by any means! We know tons of people who have gotten engaged quickly and have very happy marriages. My parents were married within a year of their 1st date and are still happily married 26 years later. It's just that we are both very cautious people, and we feel that for us, getting engaged in less than a year would be too soon. 

Our families, however, think that we're crazy. My mom kept hinting that maybe he would propose on this last vacation, or that he'll propose on our one-year anniversary weekend. I tried to tell her that he and I would be sitting down and having a very serious discussion about our plans for the future, and our timeline for all of these steps, before that happens (this would also be when I would give him my preferences on rings, since he absolutely does not want to surprise me on that count). She wants to know what we have left to discuss, since we've already told each other we would like to be married someday. And his family has been asking him about our plans since about 3 months in! 

I am really happy with where we are in our relationship, and I feel very comfortable with the plan we have for an eventual engagement. As much as I am romantic and love weddings and such, I am at heart a very practical and cautious person, and so our process makes sense to me. Joe feels the same way about the whole thing. But maybe we are crazy and are over-thinking and over-planning this whole thing. Or maybe we should just continue to do our own thing. Thoughts? Thanks for any advice! I really appreciate it :)

Edited to fix spacing. Sorry, getting the hang of this!

Oh thank goodness, someone normal.

OP FI and I were on the same timeline goals. We dated for a year and moved in together and got engaged over a year after we moved in together. So far, so good!

If you don't like guacamole you can't sit with us though.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    Hi and welcome over here!!

Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks guys! It's good to know that we're not actually crazy.

Answers to the questions I've been asked so far :)

How do you feel about guacamole? I don't really care for it much, actually. I love Latin American food, but I generally scrape the guacamole off. I love salsa!
    What's your favorite alcoholic beverage? Oooh, this is a tough one. If I'm being fancy, either champagne or Riesling. If I'm just out with friends, usually I'll get a vodka cranberry. If I don't know what to get, I ask the bartender what the most obnoxiously sweet drink they have is, and then I order that lol. Joe doesn't drink (history of alcoholism in his family), so my drinking has tapered off a bit lately.
    Favorite place you've traveled? That's another tricky one! I adore Paris. I've been there about 5 or 6 times and would gladly go back another 10. But I also loved Kigali, Rwanda. I absolutely loved the people there, and the countryside was so beautiful. I was only there for 3 weeks and I really wish it would have been longer.
    What continents did you live on? North America, I lived in Chicago, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, and in transit to Lexington, KY; Europe, where I lived in London; Africa, I took a summer course in Rwanda during college.

• Options
    Thank God!  I like you already!

I'm Shoes, and I've been playing in this sand box for four years now.  Few newbies are as normal and logical as you.  So bravo!

We have a lot in common.  One of my majors in college was English Literature.  I'm a Chicagoan by way of New York and Boston, and I work in the travel industry.  Where do you live now?

To answer your question, I am in 100% agreement with everything you said.  I think it can be unwise to get engaged before you've been dating someone for at least a year.  Sure, it can work out, but I think until you really know someone WELL, you're taking a huge gamble.  I've been with DH for nearly 7 years now, and I still learn things about him all the time.  So giving yourselves at least a year is perfectly reasonable IMO.

I think you're doing a great job of not letting outsiders influence the relationship timeline you and your BF feel comfortable with.  Keep that up!

And welcome to NEY!
  • Options
    I wish more newbies were like you.

Welcome! Whats your favorite kind of ice cream?
    Anniversary

• Options
    ethereal219ethereal219 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for being so welcoming, everyone! I really appreciate it! 

Have any good crafts I should do today? I'm bored haha. I love crafting! The next thing I'm going to be making is a mobile to hang inside the canopy of my bed. It'll most likely be stars, with possibly a TARDIS in the middle. 

Also, what's your favorite cheese? I love cheese so so so much. Cheddar is my go-to, although I also love Brie and Feta. My favorite cheese is the white cheddar cranberry that my mom picks up for me when she does sales calls in Wisconsin.

If you had to live forever without one food, what would you choose? I would go without sushi since I don't really care for it anyway. Is that cheating? If I have to pick something I like, I would go without french fries. 

Where do you live now? I am currently in transit. I'm in Fayetteville, NC with my boyfriend, since he's stationed out here, and because my lease in Lexington doesn't start until August.
  • Options
    @ethereal219 -We were stationed in Fayetteville, NC for a couple years when my dad was in the Army. How do you like it there?
  • Options
    I'll take your scraped-off guacamole.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options

HI and welcome. Take your time and enjoy your relationship, go at your own pace.

I've done quite a bit of traveling as well.  I love Paris, nothing quite compares. I've been three times and the last time was about 7 years ago now and I miss it terribly. I need to get H there soon.

Welcome again!!

Anniversary

• Options
    I think you guys are going about it correctly, and it's refreshing to see a couple that communicates so openly about their timeline. As long as you're happy with your relationship and the rate at which it progresses, then you're fine. There's no standard timeline for a relationship, so as long as you and your BF are on the same page and happy, then by all means wait to get engaged.

I'm also of the opinion that getting engaged around the one-year mark is too soon. I don't think you really know someone until you've been with them for a few years and have grown together as a couple. I'm also of the opinion that you should live with someone before you get engaged/married, but that's only because my mom instilled that in me as a kid. She's been married 3 times, and she figured out after her marriage to my father ended that you don't really know someone until you've lived with them. I know this isn't a universal truth either, but it definitely helps in the long-run. 

All that being said, I'm really glad that both of your families are so supportive of the relationship! It sounds like you guys are building a strong foundation for a life-long relationship, which is great!

Welcome to NEY! :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    CLoGreenEyesCLoGreenEyes member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    This was my physical reaction to your post:

A million times YES! to everything you said. It makes perfect sense to wait at least a year before making a permanent commitment to someone, and I think you and your BF have a great attitude about the whole thing. I haven't got any grand words of wisdom about how to deal with all the pesky questions, other than to be confident in what you're doing and to deflect the hell out of anything you don't feel like discussing again. I'm glad your families like you guys together (always a plus!), but sometimes that creates some unneeded pressure.

What do you like to read? And which historical figures are you obsessed with? I'm partial to John and Abigail Adams myself.
  • Options
    I'm psyched that you answered the favorite cheese question.  I love cheese.  And guac.  I'm apparently hungry.  Good thing it's almost lunchtime.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    @southernpeach89, I'm sorry...I'll just go hide in the corner now...lol. I really just have never liked avocados. Even when I was staying in Rwanda and we could just pick them fresh off the trees. I know, tons of people think I'm crazy for that.  

What's the best book you've read recently? I have to consult my goodreads account since I'm really bad at remembering what I've read! Life After Life by Kate Atkinson was amazing, so probably that one.

Whats your favorite kind of ice cream? Either cookies and cream or anything with caramel in it. Nom nom nom.

I have to get some reading for a book club done, so I will return and answer more questions later! Thanks for the very warm welcome everyone and I'm sorry that I don't like guacamole. I'll work on it. :)
  • Options
    @ethereal219 -I'll forgive you since you like cookies and cream, caramel, and brie : )
  • Options
    Yay a normal person! And a Doctor Who nerd too boot! 

I think you guys are doing just fine. FI and I dated for 9 yrs before we got engaged, and he knew he wanted to marry me after a month of dating! If you are both on the same page and comfortable with your timeline then thats all that matters. 

Who is your favorite Doctor? Are you a fan of other UK shows?  When you live abroad what do you miss about the US? What don't you miss at all? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Welcome! I too think you are guys are wise to take it slow. H took me to meet his family half way accross the world within a year of dating and everyone (even my Mom) said he would propose. Thankfully he didn't...you are wise to want to sit down and discuss it with him and wait a while to get engaged. I'm jealous of your Rwanda trip. When did you go? What was it like? I've always wanted to go there and the Congo (not so safe, the latter).
  • Options
    Hooray for normal, penguin-loving posters!! :)

I think you're going about your relationship just wonderfully. Don't let your families pressure you into something that you don't feel comfortable with. My FI and I had a similar timeline - we knew fairly early on that this was "it" - we moved in together after about six months - but we didn't get engaged until this May, so about a year and a half into our relationship. We did it at our speed, and I couldn't be happier. 

My questions:
    What is your favorite penguin?
    How do you feel about otters?
    Dog person or cat person?
    Should I ask any questions that don't involve animals?

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Yay! Another Doctor Who fan!

But on to your question - Don't let anyone pressure you into getting engaged before you and your BF are ready! My BF and I have been together for almost 6 years and there's been a lot of pressure in that time from friends and family to get engaged before we were ready. But they aren't the ones making the huge commitment of marriage so they don't get a say on when we decide to get married.

• Options
    Welcome! Another Doctor Who and Game of Thrones fan! (Books only here, I don't get HBO right now.)

No, you're not being overly cautious. Get engaged when you're ready!

On to the questions. If you had to live on one foodstuff forever, what would it be?
    Who's your favorite historical figure?
  • Options

Welcome to NEY! I am all for taking things at your own pace (although I'm in the much smaller camp that got engaged quickly...it was absolutely the right decision for us), so don't let your families push you. If you've talked about a timeline and you're both comfortable with where you are in your relationship then it's really no one else's business when you get engaged or married.

Finally someone else who doesn't like guac! I'm allergic to avocado so I think guac is disgusting (@buddysmom80 you can have my guac too...but please let me keep sitting here!). I'm also a fan of ice cream with caramel...Haagen Dazs has an ice cream bar that has salted caramel inside and it's too good for words!

Who is your favorite GOT character?
    What was the course that you took in Rwanda?
    Do you have any pets?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    justbeingme93justbeingme93 member
    edited July 2014
    I am basically just going to echo everyone else; you are absolutely NOT being overly cautious. That is great that his family and your family love you two together. A timeline is a wonderful idea. Falling in love is so easy. Marriage, on the other hand, requires a lot of hard work and careful decision making (not romantic but true). I LOVE that you are being logical. My BF and I are in the same boat. We have been together for 6 years. If he asked me tomorrow, I would say yes in a heart beat. However, we have decided to take a logical approach. We have a list of things we know we need to accomplish before we tie the knot. 

On a different note, you ARE crazy for not liking guacamole

Welcome to NEY! I am new here too. 
  • Options
    Welcome to NEY! I love sane people :)

Do you like horses?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    Welcome!! I think you are doing it right, only you and your bf know the best pace for you. Your favorite cheese sounds delightful, I'm originally from Wisconsin and never had such a thing.. is there a specific place your mom buys it!?

I've read through all of the threads so I apologize if I'm repeating but:

Do you have any pets?
    What's one food you absolutely could NOT live without?
    What's your favorite GIF?
  • Options
    What are you going to school for? I went to UK for my master's!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards