Not Engaged Yet

What the actual hell?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What the actual hell?

• This is pathetic.

• No....just no.
  • I might DVR it for a few episodes, but that's just because I'm a sucker for an odd social experiment.
    Totally agreed.

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• She just ruined love. She went BSC and ruined love. She is a love ruiner. 
  • I think this one is going up there with Bridalplasty.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The Sociology major in me is intrigued..
    friends tv show funy
  • I can't even. I just can't.

• I've been seeing commercials for this a lot (because that's what happens when you're cooped up in your apartment for 2 weeks) and every time I'm like "well, that's not gonna work out"

This coming from someone whose best friend's parents had an arranged marriage (they're Arabic, though aren't enforcing the arranged marriage on their 3 daughters) and are somewhat happily married something like 35-40 years later.  Arranged marriages can work, but...not on a TV show.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • @Blue & White and @bethsmiles I think that's my train of thought. It's like they're trying to make arranged marriages trendy and cool, but also like a car crash that you should gawk at. I'm having a hard time articulating my thoughts on this, mainly because the only thing I can think is

Like @buddysmom80 I will probably watch it, just to see how bad it is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My guess would be that they are using the same technology and thinking behind match making websites, and throwing in the wedding for reality TV effects.
    friends tv show funy
  • I just think it's so like..unfair to the families?  If you don't want to be on a reality TV show and sign away your right to talk about the wedding, you can't come?

That would so not fly with my family.  One, they are from NJ - they gossip, a lot.  Two, most of them wouldn't want to be on a reality TV show?  because they'd never live it down haha
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • caseface5 said:
    My guess would be that they are using the same technology and thinking behind match making websites, and throwing in the wedding for reality TV effects.
    This is my thought too.

• This was a quote from this chick that was in an article about the show in the NY Post. #eyeroll

“My siblings were like, ‘Jamie, you’re never going to get married if you don’t do something like this, so go ahead,’ ” Otis recalled.

*******************************************************************************************

• My siblings were like "ABOUT TIME YOU GUYS ARE GETTING MARRIED!" 

And super excited and all that jazz.
  • This was a quote from this chick that was in an article about the show in the NY Post. #eyeroll

“My siblings were like, ‘Jamie, you’re never going to get married if you don’t do something like this, so go ahead,’ ” Otis recalled.
    Ouch. That's harsh.

• "My siblings were like, 'Jaime, you've tried 2 other dating shows and neither of them have worked; we think you need to up the ante!'"

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I saw the previews for this this weekend and made almost this exact face 
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Yeah, I'm not a fan of shows like this, the Bachelor, 90 day Fiance', or anything of the like.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I was heartbroken to learn last night that I do not get that channel.  I missed it.

Can I get Cliff's Notes?
  • I was heartbroken to learn last night that I do not get that channel.  I missed it.

Can I get Cliff's Notes?

SITB:
    I don't get the channel either, I was so bummed. I'm going to see if FI can find it, I'll let you know!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I was going to start a thread on this topic, but this looks like a good place to talk about it. I watched it last night, although I didn't know that Jamie was previously on other dating shows.

Premise of the show: Four people scientists (sociologist, sexologist, spiritual advisor, and psychologist)  take a group of volunteers and find matches using a lot of in person interviews and questionnaires. The pairs are matched scientifically by what would appear to be a good match. The couple never meets and never finds out anything about their match, until they are getting married on their wedding day.

Disclaimer: They are called scientists, but they are social scientists so I'm going to call them people scientists so people don't think that people in lab coats with a beaker matched the couples up by doing something with genes or something like that. I'm not trying to offend any people scientists out there.

Last nights episode and maybe a spoiler: First of all, it was 1.5 hours long. They showed some of the in person interviews and talked to the individuals. After about an hour of that, they finally showed the pairs. Doug and Jamie, Monet and Vaughn, and Cortney and totally spacing on this guy's name. There is this big build up to the wedding day and the first wedding they are showing is Doug and Jamie. Apparently Jamie had told the people scientists that personality was more important to her than looks. However, she said walking down the aisle that she is just not attracted to this guy. The show ends with them up at the alter, Doug has said I do and it's Jamie's turn and she is crying and looking around like she is trying to figure out how to leave and she says "I'm sorry" which is supposed to make you think that she is not going to go through with it, but from the previews from next week she does get married.

Overall a pretty boring show, but it was like a train wreck where I couldn't look away.

I couldn't do it. I could not get married to a complete stranger.
  • Oh, I forgot: The couples have to get married and then live together for four weeks. At the end of the four weeks they have to make a decision to stay married or get a divorce.

The show says that these are legal marriages and if they decide to not stay together they will have to get a legal divorce. I personally wonder if these are really legal marriages, but that's just my opinion. I wonder if the show is telling them that they are, but not sending in the marriage certificate or something like that, so the couples aren't actually married. I think after four weeks I would have a hard time deciding if I wanted to be married to a person.
  • I'll admit that I didn't look for it last night because I had a couple of other shows to catch up on, but I may try to find it online.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Dignity100Dignity100 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2014
    I missed watching the train wreck - I'll have to see if they replay it.

That being said:
    After thinking about it, I really think this show is making a mockery of marriage.  Sure - arranged marriages are a thing, but this is for TV and for ratings.  There are many people who are not able to get legally married and I really feel it's a slap in the face to them.

EDIT:  Darn it, I don't get the channel either

Anniversary
  • @Dignity100,

I completely agree. I thought the same thing yesterday, but I didn't know how to go about saying it. 
  • Shows like this and The Bachelor/Bachelorette drive me crazy. You can't build a solid foundation for a marriage on reality TV! That's why the majority of those couples break up!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards