Wedding Reception Forum

Brunch ideas?

A friend of mine just got engaged and she's enlisted my help. She's having a small-ish wedding. About 50 people. They live in a small town and she's having her ceremony at a waterfront gazebo in her town at 11am. With a reception to immediately follow at their home. She is asking me about food but I'm kind of stumped. I figured a brunch type menu but other than that I don't really know how to direct her. I suggested a mimosa and Bloody Mary bar but food wise I'm not sure if she should go with more mid morning food or lunch food? What would you suggest?

Re: Brunch ideas?

• Is she having a caterer? If not, I think brunch would be really hard to keep fresh and hot. I think if she has a caterer, they can give her a sample menu. If it was me, I would want something with yogurt and fruit parfaits, fried potatoes, bacon and sausage, a pancake bar and maybe mini quiches. 

If she is self-catering, I think a simple lunch is probably the best idea. Trays of veggies, meats and rolls with some salads would be wonderful, as long as everything is kept properly cool. 
  • I would say lunch. We did a 10:30 ceremony with a lunch and mimosas from 11-2. We considered brunch, but it was less expensive to go with just one "type" of food, actually. Had we done brunch, we would have had to have a much larger mix of breakfast and lunch foods. 

If her ceremony is at 11, then the reception will probably start at around 11:30? For me, that's pushing toward lunch, and with the ceremony at 11, I would definitely have already eaten breakfast when I got up that morning. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I agree with lunch if she's not having a caterer. Since it is a home reception it will be much easier for someone to just run into the kitchen and grab a few platters out of the fridge, uncover them and set them out. It might even be possible that a grocery store or deli will deliver to the home shortly after the ceremony starts. She would just need someone who was willing to be at the house to accept delivery.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think she's looking for something a little but more formal than roast beef and ham on a platter. But not ex tacky as formal as a dinner reception. Which was why I was at a loss.
  • Savory pastries like spinach artichoke in a mini puff pastry, cheesy potatoes, quiche, French dip and au jus...? Electric roasters or chafing dishes to keep everything warm.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards