Getting in Shape

Fat Arms

I have fat arms and since my dress is strapless they're what's going to be showing and photographed the most. I have six months until the big day and need to get started on toning these arms. Where can I start? As far as exercise goes. I am aware that a healthy diet is required and I have lost weight already. I SPECIFICALLY need arms excercises. Thanks!

Re: Fat Arms

• I have 5 lb weights that I got at a yard sale. I know it doesn't sound like a lot of weight, but it works for toning. I do 3 reps of 10 for arm flies, bicep curls, and overhead extension. They're all super basic moves. 

I'm also a climber, which really tones your arms (and whole body). If you want to try something fun, you should check out a rock climbing gym.
  • It sounds like you've done an amazing job so far and now need to incorporate some weights. Lifting light-medium weights will help tone you (they won't bulk you up, don't worry). Unless you belong to a gym, go out and buy dumbbells-- they're not exactly cheap but you only need a few: maybe two 5 pound weights, and two 10 pound weights. From there, you can simply look for exercises online by searching for any variation of: toning, arms, women, bridal arm workout, etc. You can even look at youtube for videos of these exercises. Easy for an at-home workout. 

Also push-ups!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• If you have access to a rowing machine that will help tone your arms and give you a good all-over workout (excellent cardio too).
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Don't forget though, you can't just lose weight off your arms.  You can do all the arm exercises you want, but what's toned underneath won't show if you don't lose weight generally.  So keep up general weight loss.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Planks! I started yoga last Fall, and could barely hold a plank for two breaths. I feel like a plank ninja now. When I busted out my summer tops, I was truly shocked at how tight some of the sleeves were on my upper arms. Planks also have the bonus of being a great core workout.
  • I did a program with the Tone It Up series and they had a program for bikini arms (that should work for bridal arms too). The video is several minutes long and your arms will be sore by the end of the video. I did it for a couple weeks and I definitely see the change in my arms. It's great!

Here's the link:

http://toneitup.com/2014/05/new-workout-video-bikini-arms/

• Push-ups. Lots of them. It seriously works. But as a PP said, you'll need to lose weight for the toned muscles to show. 

I do a lot of weight training with my trainer twice a week. We do mostly free weights and TRX. 
  • I HATE seeing my arms in pictures they're so huge I usually try to crop part of them off LOL. That won't work for wedding pics, though. :/
  • It might sound silly...but you can do this sitting at your desk at work. Arms circles! Arms stretched out to your sides and do 50 circles forward and 50 circles back. I do 3 reps of each (forward, back, forward, back, forward & back) 3 sets! You can do it!!

• I completely agree with the pushups and I also like arm extensions as well as a combo of shoulder press/db curls.

Good Luck!
  • frap33frap33 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    johnsonwedding15, an thanks for the tips everybody!
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I highly recommend The New Rules of Lifting for Women--it gives you lots of starting exercises if you're doing it on your own for the first time. Also planks and side planks which will work your whole body in addition to stregthening your arms.

I also go to a BodyPump class which works your whole body with weights but has two really good arm tracks for your biceps and triceps. I saw visible results within the first couple of weeks. I hate doing arms and it's much easier to get motivated in a class when we're all miserable together :)
  • I LOVE New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm currently working my way through Jillian Michael's 30 day shred.. My office is changing locations and I will soon be 5 minutes away from home, so I will have more time to go to the gym in the morning. I am hoping to restart New Rules by November!!
  • BreMR said:
    I LOVE New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm currently working my way through Jillian Michael's 30 day shred.. My office is changing locations and I will soon be 5 minutes away from home, so I will have more time to go to the gym in the morning. I am hoping to restart New Rules by November!!
    people keep talking up the 30 day shred! I have 56 days to go until the "big day" and I just scored a copy on amazon for $8.66. I can't wait to try it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards