Registry and Gift Forum

What can't you register for?

2»

Re: What can't you register for?

• We don't want gift cards to the brick and mortar store we registered at.  We only registered there because there were some people who wouldn't be comfortable ordering off Amazon.  If we don't get anything off of that registry we would be fine with that.  So no, just because people are registered at a store does not mean they would appreciate a bunch of gift cards for there. 
    It sounds like that was a pretty crappy choice of store to have your registry at then, honestly. We registered at Target so even if people bought everything off the registry and gave us gift cards, we can buy toilet paper or whatever.

• We don't want gift cards to the brick and mortar store we registered at.  We only registered there because there were some people who wouldn't be comfortable ordering off Amazon.  If we don't get anything off of that registry we would be fine with that.  So no, just because people are registered at a store does not mean they would appreciate a bunch of gift cards for there. 
    It sounds like that was a pretty crappy choice of store to have your registry at then, honestly. We registered at Target so even if people bought everything off the registry and gave us gift cards, we can buy toilet paper or whatever.
    True story, one of my friends registered for things like toliet paper on her wedding registry because of the whole "you get X percent off anything on here after the fact", and she was fine if someone bought her some toilet paper cause come on, you always need that. 
  • Gift card rant: Other than many people thinking gift cards are tacky, they are generally a dumb idea. Some expire, have fees, etc. The ones that don't are still dumb. You are taking perfectly good money you can use anywhere and making it only useful for one store. I'm against them for occasions other than weddings. Birthdays included. I can only think of two reasons for them. 1) you are giving them to someone who has a substance abuse problem and you dont want them buying drug/alcohol with cash. 2) They are the type that NEVER spend money on themselves but would rather use it for bills. It forces them treat themselves.
  • csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

leelabear said:
    Gift card rant: Other than many people thinking gift cards are tacky, they are generally a dumb idea. Some expire, have fees, etc. The ones that don't are still dumb. You are taking perfectly good money you can use anywhere and making it only useful for one store. I'm against them for occasions other than weddings. Birthdays included. I can only think of two reasons for them. 1) you are giving them to someone who has a substance abuse problem and you dont want them buying drug/alcohol with cash. 2) They are the type that NEVER spend money on themselves but would rather use it for bills. It forces them treat themselves.
    I'm also not a fan of gift cards.  I can't even tell you how many gift cards DH has lost.

However, I'm the opposite of you on being against them for occasions other than weddings.  Cash is my favorite gift to give and I think it is a perfectly appropriate gift for weddings.  It is the other occasions where I might actually give a gift card instead of cash.  For example, each of my BMs got a gift card from me as my thank you for being in the wedding because in that case it just didn't seem right to give them cash.
  • We registered for exercise stuff. Nothing big, just some weights and a few other small things. We both work out, and though we don't do it at the same time, we would both use the stuff.

We didn't register for gift cards. I didn't know that was an option until recently. Still, we got several hundred dollars in gift cards to places we registered and a few places we didn't. I don't think you have to ask for those. People know gift cards are appreciated. 
  • I admit, I sorta side-eye games, though I just wouldn't buy them.  Some of the "older" extended members of my family, however, were side-eyeing big time a cousin's registry that had games (video, board),.  They felt like the registry was like a kid's Christmas wishlist.  Many people are very traditional, so keep in mind your audience.
  • leelabear said:

Gift card rant: Other than many people thinking gift cards are tacky, they are generally a dumb idea. Some expire, have fees, etc. The ones that don't are still dumb. You are taking perfectly good money you can use anywhere and making it only useful for one store.
    I'm against them for occasions other than weddings. Birthdays included. I can only think of two reasons for them. 1) you are giving them to someone who has a substance abuse problem and you dont want them buying drug/alcohol with cash. 2) They are the type that NEVER spend money on themselves but would rather use it for bills. It forces them treat themselves.

2 is exactly the reason I give gift cards. A friend who got married a few weeks ago specifically thanked me for it...said her H wanted to put all the gifted cash back into savings, and she was really happy to have a good reason to go get more of the registry things they needed instead (wedding was a DW for her, military now living far from home, so most people gave envelopes). If I get cash, it goes to bills, never anything specific for myself.

• Gift card rant: Other than many people thinking gift cards are tacky, they are generally a dumb idea. Some expire, have fees, etc. The ones that don't are still dumb. You are taking perfectly good money you can use anywhere and making it only useful for one store. I'm against them for occasions other than weddings. Birthdays included. I can only think of two reasons for them. 1) you are giving them to someone who has a substance abuse problem and you dont want them buying drug/alcohol with cash. 2) They are the type that NEVER spend money on themselves but would rather use it for bills. It forces them treat themselves.
    2 is exactly the reason I give gift cards. A friend who got married a few weeks ago specifically thanked me for it...said her H wanted to put all the gifted cash back into savings, and she was really happy to have a good reason to go get more of the registry things they needed instead (wedding was a DW for her, military now living far from home, so most people gave envelopes). If I get cash, it goes to bills, never anything specific for myself.
    I hate to burst your bubble, but ever heard of giftcardgranny.com?  The extra gift cards we received at our wedding we sold online for cash (we would have used them for un-purchased gifts, but our registry at that particular store was completely bought out) for 90 cents on the dollar.
  • als1982 said:

leelabear said:

Gift card rant: Other than many people thinking gift cards are tacky, they are generally a dumb idea. Some expire, have fees, etc. The ones that don't are still dumb. You are taking perfectly good money you can use anywhere and making it only useful for one store.
    I'm against them for occasions other than weddings. Birthdays included. I can only think of two reasons for them. 1) you are giving them to someone who has a substance abuse problem and you dont want them buying drug/alcohol with cash. 2) They are the type that NEVER spend money on themselves but would rather use it for bills. It forces them treat themselves.

I hate to burst your bubble, but ever heard of giftcardgranny.com?  The extra gift cards we received at our wedding we sold online for cash (we would have used them for un-purchased gifts, but our registry at that particular store was completely bought out) for 90 cents on the dollar.

Well that's even worse than losing 7% to Honeyfund fees. I have heard of other sites allowing you to sell gift cards, and I've looked into it when I've gotten gift cards to completely random places I never shop, but didn't want to lose so much of my money. I don't give gift cards to everyone. But for a wedding with few things bought off the registry, absolutely. And if those people so poorly chose the stores to register at that they'd rather lose 10% of their gift than find something else they can use, them that's on them.

• beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    als1982 said:

Why the hell would you do that?  Hell, the rare occasion when I've given a gift card as a wedding gift instead of buying off the registry it was PURPOSELY so that the couple could pick up something else if they wanted to. Just use the gift cards for something else instead of giving away 10% of the gift card money. Ten percent gone. That's just... wasteful.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Man, maybe I need to shop at this giftcardgranny.com place. I like free money. That's what it would be, right? If I know I want to spend $90 at a store, I can just buy some gift cards worth $100 with my $90? This sounds fantastic. Stupid for other people, but fantastic for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards