Not Engaged Yet

Book Post!

What are you reading? What books are you anticipating this year? What books do you love to read over and over again?

I'm currently reading Someday, Someday Maybe by Lauren Graham (yes, from Gilmore Girls!), and I'm anticipating Amy Poehler's new book and the new Veronica Mars book being published this fall. I didn't realize the Cormoran Strike novel (JK Rowling's mystery series under a pen name) and the new All Souls Trilogy book (yay chick lit! I call them pink books) were out. May or may not have just purchased them, and seriously considering pre-ordering Veronica Mars. 

Books I've read multiple times: HP, Ella Enchanted, Pride & Prejudice, Great Expectations, and the Jessica Darling series (Sloppy Firsts, Second Helpings, etc). I need to re-read A Song of Ice and Fire, but that series took me 9 months to read the first time around.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Book Post!

• Oh man, I'm currently reading Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt because it's a puliter prize winning memoir, and I'm really into memoirs right now, but it's hard to get through because it's so depressing. I can only handle so much sadness at any given time.

Next in line is Wild, another memoir. And I'm hoping to get around to the Hunger Games trilogy.

There are only a few books I've read more than once, but Memoirs of a Geisha is an absolute fave, as well as Emma and Where The Red Fern Grows.

Does anyone have any suggestions for memoirs that aren't depressing? A little depressing is alright, but this current book is such a downer!

• eilis1228 said:
    Books I've read multiple times: HP, Ella Enchanted, Pride & Prejudice, Great Expectations, and the Jessica Darling series (Sloppy Firsts, Second Helpings, etc). I need to re-read A Song of Ice and Fire, but that series took me 9 months to read the first time around.
    I didn't even know Ella Enchanted WAS a book! Thank you, for this. :)
  • I need some book reqs, so I'll be staying tuned. I just finished The art of Racing in the Rain. @GoldenPenguin, if you haven't read it yet, you should being a dog lover.
  • I'm reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King right now. So far, I really like it but it's very long. 

I've read HG a few times. I plan to read HP again at some point in the near future (maybe next?) because watching all of the movies this weekend REALLY got me in the mood. 

I have a lot of books on my to-read list. I've also signed up recently for OysterBooks (it's like Netflix for books) because I got 2 months free. I'm sure that'll push me to read more things that I normally wouldn't have. I like pretty much everything. I like thrillers, detectives, sci-fi, historical fiction, nonfiction. I'm really very open to anything. 

Speaking of books, I saw the preview for Gone Girl the movie this weekend and it made me want to reread the book even though I hated it the first time around. 

• @EisleyJoGo Oh yeah! I've read Hunger Games twice too. I really enjoyed that series. And Ella Enchanted is a wonderful book. It's seriously fantastic. It's a really quick read too, so I highly recommend it!

• @eilis1228 - Are you on Goodreads?

@es14bw - I really LOVED that book. I read it randomly while I was on vacation. SO MANY FEELS. 

• @Swazzle Netflix for books? An online library basically? Also, I hated Gone Girl when I read it too. The ending was such a let-down. It was such a good Hitchcock-esque thriller, but the ending just ruined the whole story. I wonder if they'll change it for the movie.

• Right now I'm working on "A Clash of Kings." After that I might head into some of FI's Tom Clancy novels since I haven't read any.
  • Swazzle said:
    @eilis1228 - Are you on Goodreads?

@es14bw - I really LOVED that book. I read it randomly while I was on vacation. SO MANY FEELS. 
    I'm on Goodreads. I can PM you my info. My login is synced with FB, so I think all my personal info is on it.

• @Swazzle I know what you mean about Gone Girl. The ending just ruined it. I feel like they've finally found the perfect role for Ben Affleck, though. . . Now if only they could convince him to not play Batman.
  • Right now I'm working on "A Clash of Kings." After that I might head into some of FI's Tom Clancy novels since I haven't read any.
    Have you read the others in the series? If not, the third one is the best by far. :)

• I am right now reading the second compendium for The Walking Dead I should finish it tonight. I want to reread MockingJay in the fall, otherwise I don't have much else on my list.  I should though I'm always in need of suggestions and reccomendations.

@swazzle although I was mad at the ending of Gone Girl I think I really want to see the movie.

Anniversary

• @es14bw That book has been on my to-read list for a while. A family friend recommended it, and it's got amazing reviews. I think I even have it on my Kindle... clearly need to read it.

• edited July 2014
    eilis1228 said:
    Right now I'm working on "A Clash of Kings." After that I might head into some of FI's Tom Clancy novels since I haven't read any.
    Have you read the others in the series? If not, the third one is the best by far. :)
    I only have the first 2 right now and the public library isn't very accessible. There's other stuff for the time being, but I hope to get more for Christmas!
  • @eilis1228 - YAY! Yes, I found OysterBooks because there was a 2 month free deal through Gilt City. It's $10 a month and you have access to 500,000 books! I really like it! 

@EisleyJoGo - Yep, the ending made me scream. I really, really hope they change it for the movie. 

• eilis1228 said:
    Right now I'm working on "A Clash of Kings." After that I might head into some of FI's Tom Clancy novels since I haven't read any.
    I only have the first 2 right now and the public library isn't very accessible. There's other stuff for the time being, but I hope to get more for Christmas!
    Yay for using the public library! As someone who works in the library field, I love hearing when people actually use their public library. :) 

Let me know when you start reading it! It's so good. 

• My public library has a pretty extensive collection of ebooks. Sometimes I have to wait for em but with the public library and bookbubs I'm a real cheap book date lol

I just read If I Stay. It was all over the place for me. I also just read Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult which was a similar theme. I'm done with hospital books for awhile!!
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • @eilis1228 I love Ella Enchanted! I read it before the movie came out, and was so disappointed with all of the steampunk-esque "modern but medieval" stuff they put in the movie (like a wooden escalator....seriously?). It was a huge disappointment, because the book was so good. 

I just finished reading The Striker by Clive Cussler last week, and I haven't picked out my next book yet. Clive Cussler is by far my favorite author though, so I might read another one of his books next. I don't really read the trendy books too often, and I mostly read historical fiction. But I will read any genre if it's written well! 

• Boo I have an old kindle not supported by oysterbooks, ah well.  My library doesn't have an e book program I looked all over their website is that really possible.... My book habit gets expensive.

Anniversary

• Boo I have an old kindle not supported by oysterbooks, ah well.  My library doesn't have an e book program I looked all over their website is that really possible.... My book habit gets expensive.
    Check out Book Bub (CLICK)! It's a website and you can sign up for their daily email. They have lists of free and very cheap books and the links for Amazon, B&N, and iBooks. You can also personalize it so that only books in certain genres get sent to you. The books aren't super new, popular bestsellers or anything (at least that I've seen) but it's a good way to read some random things for cheap or free!

• @eilis1228 I love Ella Enchanted! I read it before the movie came out, and was so disappointed with all of the steampunk-esque "modern but medieval" stuff they put in the movie (like a wooden escalator....seriously?). It was a huge disappointment, because the book was so good. 

I just finished reading The Striker by Clive Cussler last week, and I haven't picked out my next book yet. Clive Cussler is by far my favorite author though, so I might read another one of his books next. I don't really read the trendy books too often, and I mostly read historical fiction. But I will read any genre if it's written well! 
    Totally agree.

It has been so long since I've read something just because I wanted to. I'm still in a book group on campus with some grad students and faculty, so that makes me read at least 6-8 novels a year, but I feel so inferior when they talk about all the stuff they've read, and a little guilty for not reading more.

I started reading The Luminaries and loved it. It's intriguing and well-written, but sooo long, and I never finished. It just sits on top of my bookshelf and I keep telling myself I'm going to get back to it eventually.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @ swazzle awesome! Thank you :-)

Anniversary

• I'm reading "We Are Water" by Wally Lamb (I think @Buddysmom80 suggested it to me) and really like it so far!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm reading "We Are Water" by Wally Lamb (@hummingbird125 how far are you along?).

I'm also re-reading the HP series since we're going to Florida in March to HP world so I need to brush up on my HP knowledge. It's been FOREVER since I read them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I'm reading "We Are Water" by Wally Lamb (@hummingbird125 how far are you along?).

I'm also re-reading the HP series since we're going to Florida in March to HP world so I need to brush up on my HP knowledge. It's been FOREVER since I read them.

The real question here is: have you finished Gone Girl?

• @TwoDimes - Yup, I loved that series. I think I reread them all at least once.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Swazzle said:

I'm reading "We Are Water" by Wally Lamb (@hummingbird125 how far are you along?).

The real question here is: have you finished Gone Girl?

NOPE

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • tuarceathatuarceatha member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    I'm listening to The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt and really enjoying it.

I listened to The Help over and over again. I've reread Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume probably the most times. I love that Sally character so much.

• Gone girl left me disturbed and pissed off.

I read some really random books. Just whatever has good reviews on Amazon.
    I know Ender's Game is kind of a kids book but I liked it. The movie sucked though.
    If you like girly books, the Selection series was entertaining. (different society like the hunger games but kids don't kill each other)
    I just started Clockwork Angel and its a little weird. I'll keep you posted.

• I'm listening to The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt and really enjoying it.

I listened to The Help over and over again. I've reread Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume probably the most times. I love that Sally character so much.

I tried reading the Goldfinch and just could not get into it. I've heard that you either love it or you hate it. I might be apart of the latter group.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards