Chit Chat

Fund me!!

2»

Re: Fund me!!

• GAHHH I just got one.

"‪#‎thebar‬ is less than 2 weeks away. But then it'll be time to pack for my move to ‪#‎Colorado‬! Excited, but I'm asking for help, because I don't have the funds to cover what ended up as a more expensive move than I thought. If you can help me, I would be incredibly grateful: [GFM link]"

She's raised $125 so far.  Her goal is $950.

Seriously girl.  You just graduated from a pretty good law school and you're starting what is likely to be a very lucrative career.  In a state across the country where you are moving because you want to, not even because you're from there.  PAY FOR YOUR OWN MOVE.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• As my medical bills are now in the hundreds of thousands of dollars range, I can see how GFM makes sense. For me, it depends on the situation though. Don't have insurance because you'd rather use that money for a Benz? Yeah, no thank you. Don't have insurance because you got laid off a month ago? Different story.

I drove across country with my cat when I moved in 2005. It really was not that expensive. I can see how a high school student might not have the money, but someone of college age just needed to get a silly on campus job and save the money for "their dream"

• @lynze425 No... I don't have cable, but if I did I probably wouldn't have watched them anyway. I'm a bad fan....
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • As my medical bills are now in the hundreds of thousands of dollars range, I can see how GFM makes sense. For me, it depends on the situation though. Don't have insurance because you'd rather use that money for a Benz? Yeah, no thank you. Don't have insurance because you got laid off a month ago? Different story. I drove across country with my cat when I moved in 2005. It really was not that expensive. I can see how a high school student might not have the money, but someone of college age just needed to get a silly on campus job and save the money for "their dream"
    Honestly I really don't have an issue with GFM for things like investing in a startup business, donating for actual worthy causes, or truly unexpected astronomical medical expenses.  Those are totally fine.  If you or any of the other Knotties going through medical ish had a GFM, I would totally donate.  Insurance doesn't cover everything, and it's a situation that was just dropped in your lap.

This is the same girl who also posted because her parents' cat needed an $800 surgery and "without this lifesaving surgery, she will pass away within a few days."  Your parents decided to become cat owners, and $800 is pretty typical should anything go wrong and your cat needs treatment.  Be fucking responsible, put it on a CC, don't let your cat waste away because you weren't prepared to be a pet owner.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• As my bills start to pour in, i'm just in awe over some of the costs. I have awesome insurance, so I only have to pay $2500 max out of pocket if I stay in network. However, just ONE white blood cell boosting injection is $13k!!!! I will have had 6 or 8 of these by the time my treatment is over.

• mysticl said:
    kat1114 said:
    Yes, it is incredibly rude! I don't understand why it is suddenly acceptable to ask other people to pay for your life choices. A co-worker started a gofundme for another co-worker going through a divorce. 

I've heard of offices taking up a collection to help a co-worker who going through a tough time and a divorce can cause some serious financial hardship.  So maybe the person who started the gofundme thought of it as the same thing as passing the hat.  
    I get that, and our office has done a similar internal fundraiser before for someone with a medical emergency. But I know the person who the gofundme is set to benefit on a more personal level. If you can afford do go out on the weekends, go on trips, and otherwise spend money on non-essential things, I'm certainly not donating anything to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards