Not Engaged Yet

When I was a kid...

Re: When I was a kid...

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @loves2shop4shoes Actual conversation I had with my mom a few years back:

Me: Mom, you know how I cry every time I watch the Lion King and Mufasa dies?
    Mom: Yes.
    Me: Did I do that when I was a kid while watching Bambi? When his mom dies?
    Mom: No. None of you liked that movie. You were bored the whole time.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • @buddysmom80 I definitely don't want to go to SeaWorld after seeing the movie Blackfish!
  • lmcooper86lmcooper86 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited July 2014

@severmilli12 - Your animal stories made me laugh right out loud. I would have been the same but instinctively knew that my parents would be having NONE of that.

@buddysmom80 - We had journals in class through the early grades in primary school and one day I could not think of a single thing to write so I said that it was my sister's birthday. This was in like September, and my sister's birthday is Christmas day. When my parents came in for meet the teacher night and saw the journal they were like "WTF?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My sisters and I used to pretend we were Native Americans and my little sister would sit in the middle of our play room and sing her Tribal Chant and @LaPeanut1018 and I would stop whatever we were doing and run circles around her like we were possessed lol.

I ate an Ant once and thought it tasted like Caffeine?

I used to take a running start to jump onto my bed because I thought there were monsters under there and I was also convinced that the clown from IT lived in my closet.
    My parents let me watch Poltergeist when I was too young and I was afraid of dolls and clowns because I was afraid they'd come alive and try to murder me!!  To this day, I'm a little freaked out by certain dolls.

Because of above, I never owned a Barbie.

My parents also let me see Jaws when I was too young and after seeing the movie, I'd make others go in the pool first just to make sure there wasn't a man eating shark swimming in there.

Anniversary
  • @Dignity100 I swear we watched Jaws 1000000 times when I was little and I had no idea it was about a man-eating shark.  Apparently I wasn't watching very closely.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Swazzle said:
    My favorite movie when I was 5 was Nightmare on Elm Street. 

I wanted to be a shoe model so I would pose my feet and walk around and pretend I was in a shoe commercial all. the. time. 

I choreographed dance routines and plays for my little cousins to perform for the rest of the family.

When I was home "sick" from school, I would play school with old workbooks and textbooks and my cats were my students. 

My cousin and I wanted to visit family in Florida and my mom said if we saved up the money for flights, we could go. So we created our own company and then went door to door to drop off flyers to get business. We advertised that we could do just about anything. we got paid to deliver flyers for some guy that was just starting out his own (real) business and babysat a few times. We totally raised the $400 for flights and went to Florida at the end of the summer, though!
    I can't tell you how much I love this. It's a lot. Bean has the best Auntie roll models EVER!
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• I used to be afraid of the pool vacuum. Even though I knew it wasn't alive, it seemed so alive and creepy.
  • When I was 1 or 2, we went to get our family portrait. One of my brothers told me that when the camera flashed it was going to kill mommy. So, in the picture I have a look of complete terror along with teary eyes, and my brother is stiffling a shit eating grin. Asshole. I was terrified of cameras until I was about 6. 

Same asshole/awesome brother convinced me that there were wild boars living in our woods that were going to eat me in the middle of the night. We shared a room, so if he spent the night at a friends, I would cry All. Night. Long. He also taught me how to curse. 

I had a HUGE crush on Pat Benetar because she was a he in my mind. She had short hair, and I had a brother named Pat...so all people named Pat MUST be boys. I'm still obsessed with her music. 

I used to pretend that carousel horses were real, and I would ride them and perform the posting trot and 2-point while going around and around. I thought I was soooooooooo cool, and all the other people on the carousel were just amateurs and I was the only real rider there. 

I TOTALLY DID THIS TOO!!!

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• When I was 1 or 2, we went to get our family portrait. One of my brothers told me that when the camera flashed it was going to kill mommy. So, in the picture I have a look of complete terror along with teary eyes, and my brother is stiffling a shit eating grin. Asshole. I was terrified of cameras until I was about 6. 

Same asshole/awesome brother convinced me that there were wild boars living in our woods that were going to eat me in the middle of the night. We shared a room, so if he spent the night at a friends, I would cry All. Night. Long. He also taught me how to curse. 

I had a HUGE crush on Pat Benetar because she was a he in my mind. She had short hair, and I had a brother named Pat...so all people named Pat MUST be boys. I'm still obsessed with her music. 

I used to pretend that carousel horses were real, and I would ride them and perform the posting trot and 2-point while going around and around. I thought I was soooooooooo cool, and all the other people on the carousel were just amateurs and I was the only real rider there. 

DED.

• I have another one that my mom reminded me of. When I was little I was TERRIFIED of my both sets of grandparent's basements. I have never been in my paternal grandparent's basement (I think it's just a root cellar, I don't know!). My maternal grandparents had the basement finished with shag carpeting, etc. My cousins used to tell me they were going to lock me down there and my parents would head back to Connecticut without me.

My grandmother didn't help by telling us that she saw a ghost in the basement once while she was doing laundry.

They were sneaky bitches because they could escape their annoying cousin by making me scared of the basement and they could hide down there.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • lennonkdc said:
    My sisters and I used to pretend we were Native Americans and my little sister would sit in the middle of our play room and sing her Tribal Chant and @LaPeanut1018 and I would stop whatever we were doing and run circles around her like we were possessed lol.

I used to take a running start to jump onto my bed because I thought there were monsters under there and I was also convinced that the clown from IT lived in my closet.
    My cousin worked in a video store back in the 80's, so she had a 3ft tall Pennywise the clown doll. My mom thought it was 'cute' and my cousin totally talked her into take it for my room, after making sure she and my older cousins watched the movie while babysitting me. My mom put the doll in the rocking chair next to my bed...I HATE clowns to this day...
    OMG! I'm going to troll my kids so hard by doing stuff like this. 

• @beanbot2002 your stories are hysterical my sister is 5 years youngers when we moved from the city into our new house we had a bathroom upstairs and downstairs. I told her the bathrooms were somehow connected and the water we brushed our teeth with came from the downstairs toilet.  This got her upset but I told her she couldn't tell mom and dad and they didn't know otherwise we'd have to move far away.   I vaguely remember getting in trouble for this a few days later.

When I was younger (4) I used to tell people my name was Laura Ingalls, I called my dad Ma and Pa and I wore a mob cap to bed everynight.

Anniversary

• I used to be afraid of the pool vacuum. Even though I knew it wasn't alive, it seemed so alive and creepy.
    Along these same lines, I was afraid of the real vacuum cleaner. I always thought I was going to get hit with it when my mom was vacuuming. I had no basis for this thinking. Not only did she never hit me with it, but she would stop moving it so I could walk by.
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    My sisters and I used to pretend we were Native Americans and my little sister would sit in the middle of our play room and sing her Tribal Chant and @LaPeanut1018 and I would stop whatever we were doing and run circles around her like we were possessed lol.

I did this too!!! But I didn't think the clown from IT lived in my closet...just more monsters. I still sleep with the closet door closed.

What @southernpeach89 said about the poor baby frogs who probably spent days starving to death in a little ceramic dish on my dresser is all true. I captured them, hid them in my room, and then forgot about them. Poor things...:(

I was (and still am) obsessed with horses. I had (and still have) a collection of model horses from Breyer and Grand Champions that I played with and made up stories about ALL the time. They all had names and backgrounds. A couple had a missing leg or foot or something so I'd make up a story for their "disability". I also had all the Thoroughbred books like @Hummingbird125.

I used to "gallop" around the backyard and pretend I was riding (or was) a horse.

One of my favorite things to do was jump on my friend's trampoline with her and sing songs from The Lion King.

I used to antagonize @southernpeach89 by moving around her Barbie dolls and changing their outfits after she had them set up and arranged exactly the way she wanted them. She would flip out if you touched them.

I got spanked (hard!) by my dad once for reading out loud about Lyme disease and other things ticks spread from Encarta 95 (anyone else remember that?) while my parents were trying to pull a weird looking tick off of my youngest sister's head. She started crying and freaking out and my dad got pissed.

When I was a toddler I liked for my mom to dump a basket of books on me before bed. I've loved books and reading since before I can remember.

I made a huge mess in the bathroom with baby powder one time and blamed my youngest sister. My mom believed me and youngest sister got in trouble and had to clean it up.

• @thetimewillcome your mom may not have hit you with the vacuum cleaner, but my mom burnt the crap outta my ear with a curling iron once while doing my hair for a dance recital.  I still make fun of her for this :)  Actually, I think I told the hairdresser at my wedding lol
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • @Blue & White Did anyone ask about the burnt ear at your recital? It's a pretty funny story (probably not at the time though), I'd share it if it was me and, like you, I'd still give my mom a hard time about it. 
  • labrolabro member
    I thought of some more. To this day, I don't remember my parents bringing home my youngest sister when she was born. But I DO remember the day @southernpeach89 came home. I was SO excited to be a big sister! I still am! LOVE YOU MEGGARS!

@southernpeach89 used to steal my toys from me when we were little. She'd come up to me, grab whatever toy I had and yell "MINE!!" and walk away. After she'd leave the room I'd quietly say "but that's my toy" in a small, sad voice.

My sisters and I used to hide in the clothing racks at department stores while my mom would shop. She's told us she could always find us because she could hear us in giggling away.

• ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
    edited July 2014
    I thought of some more. To this day, I don't remember my parents bringing home my youngest sister when she was born. But I DO remember the day @southernpeach89 came home. I was SO excited to be a big sister! I still am! LOVE YOU MEGGARS!

@southernpeach89 used to steal my toys from me when we were little. She'd come up to me, grab whatever toy I had and yell "MINE!!" and walk away. After she'd leave the room I'd quietly say "but that's my toy" in a small, sad voice.

My sisters and I used to hide in the clothing racks at department stores while my mom would shop. She's told us she could always find us because she could hear us in giggling away.
    @lapeanut1018 aww. This is really sad but it made me laugh. My little sister stole my toys, too.  She stole my favorite barbie doll once to play with and accidentally popped the head off, so she hid it behind the toilet so I wouldn't find it. It was just thrown behind it though so I definitely saw it when I went to use the bathroom and was horrified.
    Anniversary

• OK thought of some:
    -My cousin and I were obsessed with the idea that we were adopted. No idea why. One summer day we were bored, so we searched the house looking for evidence. We found a dry cleaning ticket and were convinced it was the receipt from my adoption. I remember at one point we were sitting outside reveling over this new discovery, and we kept saying, "God, give us a sign that we were adopted!" I think the wind started up or something, so we decided that was our sign and that our real parents lived in California and were named Barbie and Ken. 

- I used to ride around on my bike and sing songs that I'd make up on the spot. I liked doing this going downhill especially because the wind would be in my hair and I could pretend I was in a music video.

-I was deathly afraid of the drain in the pool. My parents told me all these horror stories about kids getting hair or limbs somehow stuck in the drain while diving, and they'd drown. This fear somehow translated into a fear of bathtub drains too, and to this day bathtub drains make me uncomfortable...

-I stupidly watched Arachnophobia as a kid and subsequently developed arachnophobia. I had a couple of lucid dreams that traumatized me. I'd wake up and see GIANT tarantulas right next me, slowly crawling up their web and into my ceiling fan. Each time I'd scream bloody murder and go wake up my mom. She'd come in, turn on all the lights, and I would see the damn thing crawling on my ceiling fan, but she said nothing was there. I wouldn't go in my room for days. She finally made me face my fears, but I still hate touching ceiling fans... and spiders, obviously.

-My favorite movie when I was 3 was Pretty Woman. Apparently my aunt was watching it one day at my grandma's house, and I crawled behind the couch and watched it in secret. I LOVED that movie, and somehow we ended up with a copy of it at my house? My mom always had to hide it from me. I had no idea what any of the plot meant. I distinctly remember thinking the condoms she pulled out of her boots were lollipops. 

• @severmilli12 OMG I did the same thing! I made my mom buy me the black and white composition notebook too. 

• @eilis1228 I didn't know that that's just how composition notebooks looked so when I found one I was like "OMG A SPY BOOK!"
    Anniversary

• @LaPeanut1018 - I have like 50 Breyer horses in storage at my grandparents house. I didn't play with mine though, they were just for display. My grandfather built me like four different shelves to hang on the walls to display them. I took my Breyer's VERY seriously.

As for scary things - I LOVED ET. I had a little stuffed animal ET, and I had a poster on my wall. However, the light from the hallway would shine in on the poster & make it look really creepy at night, so I would get really scared and think that ET was going to come waddling out of my closet. Even though I knew he was a good alien, I was scared of him.

When I was like 4/5 years old, I was OBSESSED with Family Feud and Richard Dawson. We got home late day, and I bolted up the stairs to our apartment, and when my mom & dad got to the stairs, I was standing at the top with my hands on my hips and said "YOU GUYS made me MISS Family Feud." And then I went to my bedroom & didn't speak to them for the rest of the night.

I always tried to sneak out of my bedroom to watch the scary movies they were watching. Apparently my mom had to put me back to bed like five times one night when they were watching a werewolf movie. 

I idolized (and still do) my grandfather when I was a kid. He told me not to run in the road, and I did anyway (they live on a dead-end street with only three other houses, so it's not like it was that dangerous), and he spanked me - just one, swift, smack on the butt. When my mom came to pick me up, she asked me about it, and I denied it. "He didn't have to spank you?" "Nope, my Bampa loves me and he would NEVER spank me." 

*******************************************************************************************

• eilis1228eilis1228 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    My mom and my aunts used to tell me some pretty funny stories about their childhood pranks on each other. Aunt A was the oldest, mom was the middle child, and Aunt B was the youngest. Aunt A and my mom are 11 months apart, and Aunt B is like 6 years younger than them. My mom and Aunt A teamed up against Aunt B frequently, and Aunt B liked to call them out all the time when they'd yell at me and my cousin for terrorizing my little sister. Some of the stuff they used to do:
    -Mom and Aunt A convinced Aunt B that their parents were going to trade her to a black man for a donkey. (This was the '60's in small-town Texas)
    -They told Aunt B that all of the mirrors had been altered and that she was really black. (Again, small town in Texas during the '60's.)
    -They stuck her in the dryer.
    -There was a hole in the floorboard of the family car (!!!), and they'd dangle Aunt B over it while on the highway.
    -Not really a prank, but all 3 swear on their lives that a UFO landed on the roof of their house when they were kids. They get HIGHLY offended if you question the validity of it.

• labrolabro member
    @GoldenPenguin Mine had a shelf that they lived on (I had mostly Grand Champion because I could afford them). My Breyer ones and a couple others that were "special" I was very gentle with. My grandfather had some Breyer horses that he has since given to me but I remember not being allowed to play with them when I came to visit.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards