Snarky Brides

How do we feel about pregnant belly pics on facebook?

Re: How do we feel about pregnant belly pics on facebook?

• I had a FB friend who every flipping week did TWO different tummy pics and a THIRD monthly one. The weekly ones she had bought these little stickers that said what week she was, then a few minutes later would re-post the same pic side by side with her that far along with her first kid. 

The monthly one was her first kid holding a chalkboard sign with how many months he was and her next to him with another sign with how many months along she was.  

NO ONE NEEDS THSAT MANY PICS OF YOUR FUCKING STOMACH! 
  • annathy03annathy03 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    I'm fine with the occasional photo, but if you're not in a swimsuit put a damn shirt on!  It's not the stomach, it's the context- in a bathing suit by a pool?  Cool.  In your bathroom in a bra?  Inappropriate.

And when people do weekly updates with it I eyeroll hard.  I don't need to see your baby bump more than once a month and frankly that's pushing it, ESPECIALLY if you post other pictures of yourself routinely.

ETF: Words are hard.
  • I blame digital cameras just as much as Facebook. When you had to pay to develop each film print and most of them didn't turn out, you had a lot fewer to AW.

• I blame digital cameras just as much as Facebook. When you had to pay to develop each film print and most of them didn't turn out, you had a lot fewer to AW.
    Also true. You could take 36 photos on a roll, and about 20 of them would turn out decently. You didn't snap eight shots of the same thing because it was a waste of film.
  • edited July 2014

A classy maternity shoot is cool with me - I don't mind seeing a pic or two.  But not a whole string of them.  Anything super cheesy or involving near-nudity or awkward posing of spouse/SO and/or other children (think Awkward Family Photos material here...) and I'm side-eyeing the heck out of it. 

Perfect case in point: I've known this one young lady since birth.  She's recently decided to try photography.  She's taking as many jobs as she can get to start building her portfolio.  Good for her.  She just did a maternity shoot with a girl she went to school with - let's just say one pic involved mom-to-be facing camera, blowing a cloud of pink glitter in front of her face.  I hope it was a learning experience, but mom-to-be apparently loved that pic....

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2014

What I find most weird is that most of the time, the people I see posting bare belly maternity pics would NEVER post a pic of themselves in a bikini when they weren't pregnant. Why is it suddenly OK to show that much skin just because your stomach is now full of baby rather than calzones? I can appreciate the wonder of pregnancy with your shirt on, thanks.
    This exactly. This is my whole problem with those. I have friends like this.

I don't mind bump pics with a shirt on although I think two or three a week like whoever mentioned would get annoying. But five or six over the course of a pregnancy or even one or two per month wouldn't be too bad.

ETA: and pee stick = no.
  • I didn't mind my friend who posted a monthly (fully clothed) bump photo.

I did mind 2 other friends fb posts. One friend did the stick photo and set up a fb page for the unborn baby. They update the page from the baby's perspective...a foetus should not be 'liking' my comment!

Another friend has named the baby in utero. That's great but please don't post things like 'Jake really likes this music' or 'jake doesnt want to sleep right now'

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What I find most weird is that most of the time, the people I see posting bare belly maternity pics would NEVER post a pic of themselves in a bikini when they weren't pregnant. Why is it suddenly OK to show that much skin just because your stomach is now full of baby rather than calzones? I can appreciate the wonder of pregnancy with your shirt on, thanks.
    Nooo I'm not fat because I ate too much, I'm fat because I have a parasite!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• If I see one more person say, "Baby wants a burger/fries/shake/pie," I will choke them. Why can't you just say, "I want a burger," or say, "I was really craving a burger today."

It's like a cutesy way to be embarrassed that you want to eat a lot and/or eat weird things. Everyone knows you're pregnant. Nobody is going to judge you. Saying "baby wants" just makes me want to punch you. It's right up there with baby talk.
  • Meh, I've always taken pictures at the beach. I'm not going to stop now just because I'm pregnant.
  • The AW aspect of this earns it an eyeroll from me. Your pregnant. Wow. Amazing. 

Other pregnancy related FB posts that annoy me:

- ultrasound pictures. for the sweet love, please do not post photos of your uterus. Just... no. There's a lady I work with who is about to be a grandma and has an 8x10 ultrasound photo displayed on the outside of her cube. Um, does your daughter know her uterus is being publicly displayed?
    - creating a FB account for the unborn baby and talking in the first person. Did I just get friended by your unborn child? what the actual fuck?
    - the chalkboard photos with the number of weeks and a tummy profile (clothed or unclothed)
    - the gender reveal photos. 
    I agree with the majority of what you posted, but what's wrong with gender reveal photos?
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I'm kind of surprised at the U/S hate. I get it that it's AW, but it doesn't LOOK like insides, so it never occurred to me that people would be bothered by that aspect. Now, pics of baby crowning? Or still covered in your blood and goo? That would be nasty. Then again my friend just posted a pee stick and I don't really care. I do hope that was filtered so people like me would see it though, not, say, random clients.
  • FiancB said:
    I'm kind of surprised at the U/S hate. I get it that it's AW, but it doesn't LOOK like insides, so it never occurred to me that people would be bothered by that aspect. Now, pics of baby crowning? Or still covered in your blood and goo? That would be nasty. Then again my friend just posted a pee stick and I don't really care. I do hope that was filtered so people like me would see it though, not, say, random clients.
    I'm not totally bothered by a normal ultrasound, but the 3D ones really freak me out. 
    I went off once on FB because someone once posted a picture with the mother still lying on the operating table--- you could see the curtain and the surgeon in the picture, so clearly her C-section was still being sewn up. She and the dad were posing with the new baby, which was actually swaddled. 
    Several people agreed with my ranty status update (I didn't comment on the photo itself, it wasn't a friend of mine) about TMI, but one woman I went to college with replied, "Why can't you be happy for people and share in their joy!?" Then she defriended me, but not before I and several other people said it's not about sharing joy, it's about sharing something far and wide that's far too private. I was very surprised those people couldn't wait until her stomach was back in one piece to post a new baby photo. 

• banana468 said:
    Unless the belly is painted in an amusing way (pumpkin, Earth, etc) I don't want to see it on FB. My own pasty white belly is not going to be showcased on there either.
    I hate this shit.  If you don't paint your belly at any other time then why do you think it is cute/funny to paint your belly when you are pregnant?  I just don't get it and think it is stupid and weird.

• AddieCake said:
    I have threatened to post a pic of an actual stick, wet, and say it's a stick I peed on. Since it's ok to post pregnancy test pee sticks, why can't I just pee on a random stick and post it?!
    Thank you! 

A woman I work with, brought hers into work and showed everyone. Like up in everyone's face "here!!!! Look at this!! I'm pregnant. See?!" Just... no. No one wants their co-worker's pee stick waved in their face.
    *********************************************************************************

• Eh, I don't mind this. I think it can be done very well and be a breath-taking and gorgeous shot. I wouldn't want to see a ton, but couple? I wouldn't mind.

What I do mind: Weekly pictures of your belly. It hasn't changed that much. Keep me updated each month if you must. Pee sticks. Referring to your WANTS as the baby's WANTS.

• FiancB said:
    Ultra sound pictures seriously creep me out. Not just the 3D ones, but all of them. They always  have and I hate that I don't get to choose if I want to see them or not. People just put them out there with no warning and then I'm randomly creeped out on my own Facebook page. I think I'm probably definitely in the minority on that, but seriously they're creepy.

In case I didn't say it enough times, I think they're creepy. LOL
  • FiancB said:
    Ultra sound pictures seriously creep me out. Not just the 3D ones, but all of them. They always  have and I hate that I don't get to choose if I want to see them or not. People just put them out there with no warning and then I'm randomly creeped out on my own Facebook page. I think I'm probably definitely in the minority on that, but seriously they're creepy.

In case I didn't say it enough times, I think they're creepy. LOL
    Yup. They weird me out. It's the equivalent of sharing your X-Ray or MRI scan. Like, whut? It's just a weird nonsequitur. PLUS none of those things look like babies anyway. No, I do not see "the foot"! I've seen clearer UFO shots from conspiracy theorists.

And the 3D ones look like creepy aliens. Given the choice of: Amorphous blob, Creepy alien, or NOTHING, I choose the latter.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • I don't appreciate them. I feel terrible, but pregnant bellies really creep me out. Even just seeing the perfect model ones they show on pregnancy sites or whatever really give me the heeby jeebies. Unfortunately there's no real way to say that without sounding like I hate babies or hate pregnant women or whatever which simply isn't true. I'm super happy for mothers and mothers-to-be and I appreciate their excitement...it's just their bellies (clothed or unclothed) I can't be around.
  • I'm not gonna lie, I like the preggo breaking the news photos. A couple I know had been trying to get pregnant for 6 years and when she finally did, she left a pair of little baby shoes next to her husbands shoes in the entrance way as a way to tell him. I thought it was really sweet. The picture was after a private moment shared between the two of them, though. Not broadcast to all of facebook right away.

But I hate the bra and underwear pregnancy photos. Just... no. Especially if they look professional. Who pays for that crap?
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    This was on my FB feed today:
    "I'm not proud of how skinny I am, it's something I'm working on but to think a year ago my belly was like this is shocking... Cause I don't work out. I lift babies
  • I post pictures of my baby bump every couple of weeks on fb for our friends and family that we don't see often. But I always have a cute outfit on...I hate bare pregnant bellies...they gross me out, even my own. I don't think I overshare...I'm not one to put a pic up every few days or every week even. Just days when I actually feel like a cute pregnant lady(which is rare lol).
  • @mrsderuyter87 Aint nothin wrong with that :)

• If I see one more person say, "Baby wants a burger/fries/shake/pie," I will choke them. Why can't you just say, "I want a burger," or say, "I was really craving a burger today."

It's like a cutesy way to be embarrassed that you want to eat a lot and/or eat weird things. Everyone knows you're pregnant. Nobody is going to judge you. Saying "baby wants" just makes me want to punch you. It's right up there with baby talk.
    Ughhh a friend of mine just had twins. And she would always post FB statuses like "(baby 1 name) is craving spicy food today! (Baby 2 name) likes sweet so we had cherry licorice yesterday." NO. You are craving those things. Even if it was the baby "craving" them, ain't no way you could tell one baby from the other!

• Lol... people said that crap to me all the time when I was pregnant. They'd offer me a cookie: "Does baby want a cookie?" No. *I* want a cookie!

SaveSave
  • Today on my facebook feed I came across a friend who was sharing her SIL's 8 minute video announcing her pregnancy. And yes, actual pregnancy test stick and all.
  • Today on my facebook feed I came across a friend who was sharing her SIL's 8 minute video announcing her pregnancy. And yes, actual pregnancy test stick and all.

***STUCK IN THE BOX****

How many minutes?!?!  What in the world was in that video that it took them 8 minutes to announce the pregnancy?  Did they recreate the moment of conception?!?
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards