Chit Chat

What do you know is overpriced but you splurge on it anyways?

Re: What do you know is overpriced but you splurge on it anyways?

• @lc07 is your cat's name actually Kitty? Mine's is hahah

• lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    jenna8984 said:
    @lc07 is your cat's name actually Kitty? Mine's is hahah
    Yes :) I got her when I was 14 and I named her Venus. I dunno if I was a mumbler or what but whenever I told anyone her name they were like "WHAT???" (I think they thought I was saying "Penis"). So we started calling her Kitty and it stuck.
  • jenna8984 said:
    AlexisA01 said:
    Wine and delicious Tequila and Bourbon...Whenever I am in Nordstrom I go for the Jimmy Choo and Manolo Blahnik pumps. I know they are overpriced but I am just a sucker for shoes.
    Oh crap I envy you. I think a pair of socks at Nordstrom is too expensive hahaha. I don't EVER shop retail or department stores. 
    That is the only place I buy good shoes for work. I purchase one or two pairs at a time once a year. I don't go after the really fancy stuff, just the plain pumps.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• lc07 said:
    jenna8984 said:
    @lc07 is your cat's name actually Kitty? Mine's is hahah
    Yes :) I got her when I was 14 and I named her Venus. I dunno if I was a mumbler or what but whenever I told anyone her name they were like "WHAT???" (I think they thought I was saying "Penis"). So we started calling her Kitty and it stuck.
    That's hilarious!! I got mine in college and my best friend/ MOH came over that day and we spent literally hours online searching for names and finally at midnight she was like dude I gotta go and we still hadn't come up with anything we liked so Kitty it was. She has had good nicknames from roommates though- Meow Mix, Peanut, Admiral Fatbutt, Fatty, Creepy

• lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I love that our kitties have the same name!! The only nicknames she has ever been given are "Kitty Darling" from my mother who tried to legally change her name to that. Love my mom but big eye roll there from me. And my husband who would call her "White Boots" when we were first dating because she's a grey and white tuxedo with white front paws and "thigh high" white boots in the back. I call her "Pumpkin" sometimes.
  • If I ever spent more on underwear than $9.99 for a 6 pack, I would start my period the first day I wore them. Hard. And suddenly.
  • Aw, my SM had a kitty named Kitty, too! She started off named Pooh-Bear, then it morphed to Kitty-Pooh, then became just Kitty.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• My kitty was named Mouse. :-p (well, still is, but he's my sister's kitty now.)

• I'll splurge on Avengers/Marvel stuff. I once bought a wristlet that had Entertainment Weekly pages from the Avengers edition modgepodged (or whatever its called) onto it. That thing cost me $65. That's a lot for me. Don't let me near a comic book convention because I will buy out the booths with Marvel stuff. It's a simple twist of fate that one of my best friends owns a comic book store. I had been visiting the store for years and one day I posted a picture on Facebook and she said "OMG that's my husband's store. We own that store!" Now I pay much less.

I review products for a living so I have a lot of favorites. I have a ton of bags from 1154 Lill Studio. They allow you to choose your fabric and pattern and basically create your own bag. Still one of my favorites 6 years later. Younique mascara seriously changed my life. No I don't sell it, I just love it THAT much. I have non existent eyelashes and it brings mine to life like no other mascara has. I have like 30 mascaras at a time and this one wins hands down.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Anthropologie. I can't help myself.
    Anthropologie is like crack for me-- the home stuff, more than the clothes.  I can't bring myself to spend the money there unless it's on sale.  But I bought some coasters at Anthro when we first moved into our place with a gift card ($8 per coaster, ah!) and I still get compliments on them five years later.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Anthropologie is like crack for me-- the home stuff, more than the clothes.  I can't bring myself to spend the money there unless it's on sale.  But I bought some coasters at Anthro when we first moved into our place with a gift card ($8 per coaster, ah!) and I still get compliments on them five years later.
    I'm this way too! Along with Jcrew, modcloth, the limited, francesca's, kate spade, the loft, ect. I may be that girl from the movie shopacholic haha

• Anthropologie.

I can't help myself.

I'm this way too! Along with Jcrew, modcloth, the limited, francesca's, kate spade, the loft, ect. I may be that girl from the movie shopacholic haha

Ooo i'm a J Crew addict! My fancier work attire is from Banana, but all of my casual clothes are from J Crew. I can wear casual stuff to work most of the time, which is a blessing!!

• Probably half my wardrobe is J. Crew... oops.  I'm addicted, big time.  But I don't think I've ever bought something full price.  I will stalk that shit until it goes 50% off final sale and then spend like $200 on a huge haul of sale stuff.  Plus they have a teacher/ college student 15% discount that they will let you stack on top of sale prices.  Cha ching!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited July 2014
    JCbride2015 I know what you mean! I have gotten most of my clothes from modcloth and francesca's. V always jokes how I could be a spokesperson for those stores. Francesca's and the loft also have student discounts too! V also jokes saying one day I'll just snap and constantly say kate spade ha.

@Jells2dot0 I love their button downs on me! They aren't boxy at all and they have a lot of cute skirts too. I was able to get some discounts because I went when it was tax free weekend yay!

ETA because I wanted to talk more ha
  • JCbride2015 I know what you mean! I have gotten most of my clothes from modcloth and francesca's. V always jokes how I could be a spokesperson for those stores. Francesca's and the loft also have student discounts too! V also jokes saying one day I'll just snap and constantly say kate spade ha.

@Jells2dot0 I love their button downs on me! They aren't boxy at all and they have a lot of cute skirts too. I was able to get some discounts because I went when it was tax free weekend yay!

Francesca's has a student discount?  Wha????  Oh no you di'nt.  This is dangerous information.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• JCbride2015 I know what you mean! I have gotten most of my clothes from modcloth and francesca's. V always jokes how I could be a spokesperson for those stores. Francesca's and the loft also have student discounts too! V also jokes saying one day I'll just snap and constantly say kate spade ha.

Francesca's has a student discount?  Wha????  Oh no you di'nt.  This is dangerous information.
    Oh yes I did! I'll gladly share my information. I love most of their clothes. I just wish their jewelry wasn't so big. I wish I could pull them off but it looks like most of their necklaces will snap my neck in half ha.

Oh yes I did! I'll gladly share my information. I love most of their clothes. I just wish their jewelry wasn't so big. I wish I could pull them off but it looks like most of their necklaces will snap my neck in half ha.
    Just do it, I promise you can pull it off.  I've never seen anybody in a big necklace and thought it looked like they would snap!

I have several, mostly from J. Crew (where else) and get compliments on them all the time.  I wear them at work with professional attire, under my collar where a man would wear a tie.  It's a nice way to add interest to your outfit.  I especially love them with suits.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited July 2014

JCbride2015 I know what you mean! I have gotten most of my clothes from modcloth and francesca's. V always jokes how I could be a spokesperson for those stores. Francesca's and the loft also have student discounts too! V also jokes saying one day I'll just snap and constantly say kate spade ha.

Just do it, I promise you can pull it off.  I've never seen anybody in a big necklace and thought it looked like they would snap!

I have several, mostly from J. Crew (where else) and get compliments on them all the time.  I wear them at work with professional attire, under my collar where a man would wear a tie.  It's a nice way to add interest to your outfit.  I especially love them with suits.
    Ok, you have convinced me to try them! Gosh I wish I could wear nice suits right now. But I'm still in undergrad and all of my current jobs require me to possibly get dirty.  Maybe one day when I get my dream job I can treat myself to a nice suit. Until then I'll have to do with chunky necklaces! What do you think of this one?
    http://www.francescas.com/product/avalon+floral+glass+bead+necklace.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=

ETA because picture won't show grrr

Ok, you have convinced me to try them! Gosh I wish I could wear nice suits right now. But I'm still in undergrad and all of my current jobs require me to possibly get dirty.  Maybe one day when I get my dream job I can treat myself to a nice suit. Until then I'll have to do with chunky necklaces! What do you think of this one?
    http://www.francescas.com/product/avalon+floral+glass+bead+necklace.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=

ETA because picture won't show grrr

Omg I LOVE it! So pretty! (Chanting) do it, do it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Nordstrom rocks, but Nordstrom Rack is my crack habit. I just got a pair of really awesome Stuart Weitzman pumps marked $300 for $46. They are actually borderline comfy!
  • There are certain things that I feel like it's better to pay more for the quality. For me, it's my running gear. I will not chince out on good socks and runners. Cookware too... and food.

I also like my VS.... their stuff just seems to fit me the best.

There was also a time where I was a young and naiive newbie teacher so I used to spend A LOT on my classroom but I've put myself in check and stopped that. The school can pay for that stuff. I don't make enough to fund all that stuff.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• KytchynWitcheKytchynWitche member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    I don't really know. Generally if I know something's overpriced, I won't buy it. Although, at the moment, I'm spending a bucketload on Biotin multivitamin supplements for my hair and nails. My nails are splitting less though, so I guess it's worth it.

Um... Manic Panic, as well. I know it's overpriced, I know there are other options, but it's the one dye that a) doesn't make me gag at the smell and b) always works on my hair. I haven't bought any this year though - I've been a good girl, mainly because I'm trying to have "normal" hair for the wedding.

I spend WAY too much money on mobile data every month. I think I pay more for 6GB of mobile data than I would for a month of unlimited ADSL, but I can't get an ADSL contract because I don't have a fixed income and proof of earnings. 

And FI and I do spend more than we should on take-out. But our kitchen is tiny, our oven doesn't work, and sometimes I just get really tired of soup, stew, and pasta because that's all we can cook at the moment.

ETA: I also have a shoe thing. I wear a US 11 (SA 9) which is a non-standard size here. So if I find a shoe that fits, I buy it - unless it's WAY out of my budget. Which is why my wedding shoes are beige. I cannot find shoes I like in any shade of white, off-white, cream, ivory, green, or navy. I stalk Amazon for specials whenever possible, hoping that I'll manage to snag another pair of Madden Girl shoes like I did in '11, but no luck so far. :(
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Ditto the splurge on running gear - good shoes and socks are a must.  I also splurge on gelato if I'm going to have icecream. 

Big splurge of the moment?  FI and I have spent way too much on travel this year. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I tend to splurge on travel.  I like to stay at nice hotels and occasionally eat at nice restaurants. I try to fly business class, if it's available.

I also love shopping at Nordstrom. In fact, they are currently having an annivesary sale. I am not ashamed to say that I bought some clothes late last week.

• Is Anthropologie a West Coast thing? I've never seen one.

• jenna8984 said:
    Is Anthropologie a West Coast thing? I've never seen one.
    There is an Anthropologie in Boston. It's on Newbury St. So I don't think it's just a west coast thing.
  • arrippa said:
    jenna8984 said:
    There is an Anthropologie in Boston. It's on Newbury St. So I don't think it's just a west coast thing.
    Oh gotcha. Newbury Street is the Rodeo Drive of Boston so I can't afford to go anywhere near there LOL. Even the Nike store on Newbury Street has like running shirts for $98. No thank you.

• beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    arrippa said:

jenna8984 said:

They also just opened a BHLDN store in Chestnut Hill.

--

I'm the fuck
    out.

• One of our cats is named Pneux Khat. She adopted us a couple of years back. We tried a few names on her, but kept going back to that, and it stuck.

As for splurges.... we get our house cleaned weekly, our lawn mowed by a company, and one dog goes to doggie day care every week day. That's enough :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards