Chit Chat

Monday groans

I feel that I have been pretty swamped in the last week/week and a half. I had a business trip last Wed/Thurs to Albany, NY. There was a gruesome car accident right in front of my hotel, I saw the aftermath when I showed up to check in. It did not look like anyone could have survived that. I later read in the news that the driver was an 82 year old woman who was left in critical condition, then on Saturday, I read that she passed away. Other than that, the trip itself was fine, and I got to network with other people from my company which was great.

The weekend was low key. I am trying to spend less money because the wedding is rapidly approaching, and FI's job situation is unclear. He has been actively applying to jobs (I have been helping him and sending him jobs that I think may be a fit), so he may soon start interviewing and will (hopefully) have a new job in a few months. The ideal situation will be a pay raise, but there is always the possibility that in order to leave his immediate field, he may need to take a pay cut.
Yesterday I spent the day nursing a hangover from my homemade margaritas the day before. Tequila is not my friend at the moment. And for the time being, I enrolled in some courses through my job to get additional certifications in my field. So, nothing majorly exciting. 

How was everyone's weekend?
                             Anniversary
imageimageimage

Re: Monday groans

• Weekend was non-productive. Not mad about it at all. My groan is that it is a LOOOOOONG ASS DRIVE to Maine. We are still not to the hotel yet. I want to say we're close but there is a dingleberry in front of us going 15mph below the speed limit so it's going to be a while before we get there. Uuuugh
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Were the margaritas worth it? :) I can't help myself around a good margarita.

I had a somewhat boring weekend, but I'm pissed at myself today. I need to try and lose a few pounds, so I decided to cut out snacking. EPIC FAIL. 

• I worked all weekend on the beverage cart. It was soooooo boring. Painfully boring. I kept wishing the lightning alarms going off would keep the golfers away. Nope, they kept on golfing, but not buying anything. DH did get off early yesterday and took me out to dinner. We went for thai because DH has been dying to go to this one place. Come to find out they are closed on Sundays, so we had Italian instead (right next door to the thai place). I can't tell you how many times we have tried to hit up a new place on a Sunday or Monday and find out they are closed. We are just so unlucky like that. Thursday-Saturdays are out for us to go out to dinner together.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • beethery I HATE people like that. They make me so anxious and make me want to keep my hand on the horn or something! 

Jells2dot0 - They were at first, from what I remember! I think my problem was that I had the last one by myself, FI and I were supposed to share it, but he wanted a beer instead. It had also been hours since my last meal. Yea, cutting out the snacking is HARD. As it stands, I'm craving my afternoon snack now lol.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Today is just a very long day. I'm working on an audit for a client but I'm having a hard time staying motivated. My mom has also decided she wants to get involved with the wedding (which is awesome!) but I'm now getting daily texts asking for information. But on the plus side, it's kicking my butt into gear on things I've been slacking on. Today is was the guest list for the shower she wants to throw me so I'm trying to work on that inbetween work things.

I realllllly need to go for a run tonight but it's going to be so hot and humid when I get out of work. I have this grand idea that I can run a 10k in less than 2 weeks but considering I haven't run since my half marathon in May, I doubt that it's a doable goal. If I could learn to lay off the snacking as well and actually got off my butt, it would be a different story.

• lyndausvi, well you can't go wrong with Italian! But I know what you mean, it's pretty crappy when you have your heart set on something. When FI and I used to live in Brooklyn, we lived in the same neighborhood. Many restaurants were closed on Mondays, so I remember one time we had our heart set on a yummy meal from our favorite place, only to find out they close on Mondays. Sooo disappointing.

cupcait927 - you might be able to do it, if you push real hard! I think it can definitely be doable, it has only been 2 months. I want to run a 10K next myself, but I have not been running as much as I should be myself. I think I'm going to run on the treadmill in an hour or so during my break, because it'll be too hot to run outside. And I'd rather just get it out of the way so that I can be home early today.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• @cupcait927‌ I'm currently trying to force myself to do the same thing. And it's already hot and humid out and I've eaten two donuts already today. I normally run 4 days a week but lately I'm lucky of its one. I told myself I'm not allowed to watch the bachelorette tonight if I don't go. You can do it!!
  • @pinkcow13 going for a run on the treadmill would be a great idea! FI and I both want to get one for our house. I can't run in the cold (apparently I have cold weather induced asthma, oh joy) but training for a half or full marathon is so much easier in the colder months. If we had a treadmill, I think I would be more inclined to run more often, and continue running during the winter. I also hate running out in our tiny podunk town because it's SO boring. I'd rather run on the treadmill and watch tv or listen to music than run out on the country roads. It was easier when we lived in a bigger city because there was more variation and more to occupy my mind.
  • SJM7538 said:
    @cupcait927‌ I'm currently trying to force myself to do the same thing. And it's already hot and humid out and I've eaten two donuts already today. I normally run 4 days a week but lately I'm lucky of its one. I told myself I'm not allowed to watch the bachelorette tonight if I don't go. You can do it!!
    I had a bagel and cream cheese for breakfast so I'm feeling tons of guilt already! I should do the same thing - I really want to watch last night's episode of Naked & Afraid but if I don't go for a run, I won't let myself. Motivation at its finest!
  • I've been eating like shit because I'm basically eating purely for convenience as I'm studying so much.

I'm starting to feel simultaneously terrified and complacent about the bar exam.  I'm terrified I won't pass, but I feel like with one week to go, I've just hit a finite amount of stuff I can fit in my head.  I don't know how to memorize anything new at this point.  My brain is just SO EXHAUSTED, I end up doing stupid shit like taking a break every freakin' hour to eat a snack, or Knotting when I really shouldn't be, or sleeping until 9:30 because I can.

I'm also getting stressed about our wedding venue.  As the date approaches to pay our first big-ass deposit, and I haven't started my job yet (even though I have a set start date), it just gets scarier.  AND I'm looking at the online photos and thinking I really don't love the interior as much as I thought I did, and the colors won't go with what I want, and what if we can find a better deal somewhere else.  ARGH.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I definitely have a case of the Mondays, but my lingering high (OF MY DRESS ARRIVING!!!) is getting me through it. I tried it on again over the weekend when I went to pick it up and love it even more than I remembered. I cannot WAIT to get it altered!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I usually don't mind Mondays. I generally try to have a positive attitude on Mondays to start my week off on a good foot.

This is not one of those Mondays. I went to the lake yesterday and woke up at 6 and did not get home until 10. The day was spent tubing, wake boarding, drinking a few beers, and chatting with my MOH and her BF. FI and I are exhausted and sore today. I used muscles yesterday that I hadn't used in over a year. There needs to be a machine at the gym that works these muscles.

• Well, over the weekend my least favorite/most disliked law professor was shot and killed at home. I didnt like the guy but I feel bad for his ex wife, the two children under 6, and his family and friends.

Spent basically the entire weekend helping dh with his group paper. Afterwards there was a lecture about not leaving shit like this till the last minute and bitching at me because hes stressed out

Work is snore worthy. I wanna go home and start week 3 of couch to 5k. And paint and cuddle with my kitties and dh.

JC still sending you positive vibes! PM me and we will skype after that evil exam with the commisserating booze. Oh, and in the last two weeks before a bar exam, calories don't count. This includes cake ice cream mac n cheese and liquor. Chipmunk has commanded it so.
  • I've been eating like shit because I'm basically eating purely for convenience as I'm studying so much.

I'm starting to feel simultaneously terrified and complacent about the bar exam.  I'm terrified I won't pass, but I feel like with one week to go, I've just hit a finite amount of stuff I can fit in my head.  I don't know how to memorize anything new at this point.  My brain is just SO EXHAUSTED, I end up doing stupid shit like taking a break every freakin' hour to eat a snack, or Knotting when I really shouldn't be, or sleeping until 9:30 because I can.

@JCbride2015: You'll be fine on the bar exam! I definitely tapered off my studying the last week, because at a certain point, you really can't memorize anything new. I also stopped studying about two days before, which I think really helped me a lot. After the exam, I was certain that I wasn't going to pass, and I passed very comfortably. It helped me to remind myself that they are just testing minimum competency, so you really can get away with not memorizing every finite detail.
  • We are leaving on Friday to travel back to our hometown for our wedding!!!! I literally have checked out of everything not wedding related this week. In my case that is really no good since I have a mountain of homework to finish before we leave, so I don't have to worry about it during the wedding week chaos.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My weekend was alright. Today has been kinda productive. It's my day off, so I went in search of little stand to hold my laptop, so I can have easy internet access in my studio without it sitting on my drafting desk. AND I FOUND IT. FOR 10 BUCKS.

And I also found 2 dresses and a pair of Clarks leather heels. And a bunch of cami's at Old Navy that were super cheap. I also tried on a bikini there, sent the pic to H. He thinks I look great, but I think I look pregnant. 

Speaking of H. He took a personal day today. Wanted to have a nice family dinner with his parents. When I left at noon, his plan was to finish the LoL match he was playing, go to the store, then come home and clean the living/dining room and kitchen. I got home a little after 3, and he was playing yet another LoL match. He did have groceries but no cleaning has been done. It's now almost 4. 

I love him, but goodness he's terrible at time managment. 

Anniversary
  • Chipmunk415, Oh my God Chipmunk, that is terrible! What happened?? Was it a disgruntled client, or someone that he sent to jail? (I watch to many movies if that's not the case). That's so terrible for his wife to go through, especially with 2 young children.

@jcbride2015 - You'll be fine! You got this. I don't know much about the Bar exam, but you did excellent in school, and have been studying for what seems like ages, so I'm fully confident that you will pass. I know what you mean about the wedding stress, though. Our next payment is not due until December, but, on top of that I still don't have so many other things, and thinking of all the money I will need in the coming months is really stressing me out. As for the venue itself, I think that's more nerves than anything else. I've had similar thoughts myself when googling pics, especially comparing it to the runner up venue.

cupcait927 - the treadmill is the only way I run in the winter, or when it's super hot and humid. I have a gym at work so I'm lucky that I get to go during my lunch break, or sometimes I just go after work. I do prefer to run outdoors, especially because the running path in the city is so nice, and there is a lot to see. All other times, the treadmill gets the job done!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• And Monday has taken a very bad turn - FI just texted me. He is very upset as he thinks he may be fired from his job. I don't know details yet and he said that he doesn't think he'll know the outcome until the end of the week but suffice it to say, it would be a very bad time right now for him to lose his job. We'll of course figure things out but it could very well mean postponing the wedding or doing something much, much smaller. Obviously the wedding is the least of my concerns but it's a real possibility and we just sent out invites last week. In the back of my mind I want to think that this is a very sick prank he is playing on me but when he texts me and says he's holding back tears, it's got to be serious. 
  • And Monday has taken a very bad turn - FI just texted me. He is very upset as he thinks he may be fired from his job. I don't know details yet and he said that he doesn't think he'll know the outcome until the end of the week but suffice it to say, it would be a very bad time right now for him to lose his job. We'll of course figure things out but it could very well mean postponing the wedding or doing something much, much smaller. Obviously the wedding is the least of my concerns but it's a real possibility and we just sent out invites last week. In the back of my mind I want to think that this is a very sick prank he is playing on me but when he texts me and says he's holding back tears, it's got to be serious. 
    Oh no.  Sending positive vibes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• alpacalunchalpacalunch member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    @Chipmunk415 eek, the guy from Toronto? It's been on our news because of he's from here, but zero details. I had no idea he left behind a wife and kids, that's even sadder.
    My weekend was not the greatest. I drove on the 401 (major highway here) for the first time, and it was stop and go traffic for al most 3hrs. Much crying ensued. Then Sunday I made a poor decision, and about 20kg of steel fell on my foot. Nice blue bruise and a good gash. No more sandals for a few weeks for this girl! Today I'm trying to figure out the last details for FIs and my roadtrip out to the Maritimes (PEI, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick). We leave Thursday, and I think it's all sorted. Now to see if I can be in a car with him for 11h and we both live to tell the tale....
  • We did next to nothing this weekend which is good since I didn't get much sleep and I was pretty much brain dead. Today hasn't been so bad except that I forgot to take a lunch break so I just ate a bag of chips, which is ok because it is National Junk Food day.

I'm so sorry. Sending hugs and positive thoughts your way.
  • @chrisandcait and @pinkcow13‌ yup dan markel, that was him. I took one class with him. My dislike stems from his deliberately failing me in that class after an unintentional ego bruising but I got over it like a mature adult.

Turns out he lived less than 2 miles from me. He and his wife were getting divorced (shes super nice and another law professor) and they had two boys ages 3 and 5. He was 41.

At first police were apparently exploring the possibility of it being a home invasion gone wrong but announced today that its being treated now as a murder of "he was the target with no other intent" variety.

Like I said I feel awful for the wife and kids. I expect I will probably get a call for police making sure im not the psycho who did this as I bet they will look at anyone who might have had a grudge.
  • @Chipmunk415 Thanks for the encouragement!  I'm starting to lose my marbles but only 8 days to go.  It will all be over soon.

I'm going to need All The Booze after this.

So crazy about your law prof.  I can think of some profs I did not like very much, but nobody so awful people would want to kill them.  Eek.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

I'm sorry.  Sending positive vibes.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I got home late last night after a full day heavy metal concert. I hate heavy metal but it was important to FI...

Left early this morning for a business trip.

Now I'm eating alone in a frickin' Applebee's because there are no better options. Boo!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I got home late last night after a full day heavy metal concert. I hate heavy metal but it was important to FI... Left early this morning for a business trip. Now I'm eating alone in a frickin' CRAPplebee's because there are no better options. Boo!
    FTFY.

I'm writing 45 thank you notes. For-ty-fi-vuh. Blah.

• I got home late last night after a full day heavy metal concert. I hate heavy metal but it was important to FI... Left early this morning for a business trip. Now I'm eating alone in a frickin' CRAPplebee's because there are no better options. Boo!
    FTFY.

I'm writing 45 thank you notes. For-ty-fi-vuh. Blah.
    Good news is: that must mean you got 45 amazing gifts! :)

Oh no, Cupcake, I'm really sorry to hear this. Are there any updates? I'm sending many positive vibes your way.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• pinkcow13 said:
    And Monday has taken a very bad turn - FI just texted me. He is very upset as he thinks he may be fired from his job. I don't know details yet and he said that he doesn't think he'll know the outcome until the end of the week but suffice it to say, it would be a very bad time right now for him to lose his job. We'll of course figure things out but it could very well mean postponing the wedding or doing something much, much smaller. Obviously the wedding is the least of my concerns but it's a real possibility and we just sent out invites last week. In the back of my mind I want to think that this is a very sick prank he is playing on me but when he texts me and says he's holding back tears, it's got to be serious. 
    Oh no, Cupcake, I'm really sorry to hear this. Are there any updates? I'm sending many positive vibes your way.

No update yet. Poor guy was SO upset last night. I kept telling him that it will okay no matter what happens. He said work is going okay so far today and that he's going out on sale calls soon. He also said he might know by the end of the week, if not sooner. I'm crossing my fingers that everything turns out okay because I know it's going to crush him if this happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards