Chit Chat
Options

Random things dogs do

lyndausvilyndausvi mod
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited July 2014 in Chit Chat
So I'm watching a PBS documentary on Amish leaving the order. It's interesting. Pretty calm music and soft, slow talking. 

They showed a picture of a white Amish house with a small girl swinging on swing and all the sudden the bulldog went nuts. 

Kept barking at the TV. I'm like WTF? It's just a girl swinging, calm down. 

Does your dog do anything silly like that?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: Random things dogs do

• Options
    My dog barks at the perfect Polly commercial. She loses her shit.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Mine yips in his sleep. It's crazy adorable. He also starts howling when he wants attention.
  • Options
    Maury the pit snores a lot too. It's hysterical- he even wakes himself up on occasion. Fortunately the vet says there's nothing to worry about.

He chews on anything but has a special love for my stuffed Lucy toy. I guess he's a Peanuts fan. He can tell that she's not a chew toy and delicately carries her around the house by her hand. It's adorable.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

My mom's Akita  gets nightmares a bunch.  He's a rescue so we have no idea why.   He'll start twitching and growling and everything.  Well his playmate, a Chawennie dog that big dog picked out as a friend at the pound,  he notices and he gets all cuddled up with him.  He'll lay right across Koda's neck and then lick the inside of his ear until he calms down.  Adorable!!!

Koda will also randomly decide that his butt needs to be on the couch, but he's so tall that he just puts his rear on the couch and then stands on his front two legs, he will then proceed to lay his giant head on the coffee table and give us his doggie "sigh".

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    My German Shepherd is a REAL CLASSY girl... She burps quite often and the most awkward of times.
    It's kinda cute though... Kinda.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    krcbkrcb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    It's not really random, but whenever my dog hears a dog bark on tv, she goes crazy. Sometimes she will continue barking and searching for the dog for up to 20 minutes. My dog really loves to rub her butt on the carpet and go around in a circle growling with her head tossed back. We took her to the vet about it thinking she may need some assistance, but nope...she's fine, just loves scrubbing her butt in circles. She will also randomly look at me with the craziest face. It looks her her eyes are going to pop out of her head. It's a little unsettling...it's like she seems something and is horrified. She goes back to the usual business moments later. edit: sorry my paragraphs are getting eaten
  • Options
    Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    cwradford said:

My mom's Akita  gets nightmares a bunch.  He's a rescue so we have no idea why.   He'll start twitching and growling and everything.  Well his playmate, a Chawennie dog that big dog picked out as a friend at the pound,  he notices and he gets all cuddled up with him.  He'll lay right across Koda's neck and then lick the inside of his ear until he calms down.  Adorable!!!

Koda will also randomly decide that his butt needs to be on the couch, but he's so tall that he just puts his rear on the couch and then stands on his front two legs, he will then proceed to lay his giant head on the coffee table and give us his doggie "sigh".

I think the fact that you let your big dog pick out a buddy at the pound is adorable! Too cute.

Raider does lots of interesting things.. At least I think so. He is 12 pounds, and we have a little boy Maltese who is 6 pounds. Raider will nudge him with his nose, run away and then come back, and lay on his back exposing his belly to him, all to try to play. Poor baby, the Maltese never ever want to play. Raider likes to run around a lot.

He howls, which is so adorable but strange coming from a Shih Tzu- Yorkie. Its like a yodel/ hound dog. But its high pitched. He'll be a naughty boy and jump up on the kitchen table, and then howl because he can't get down.

image   image   image

• Options
    My bulldog will be sound asleep and the all of the sudden wake up and start acting like a maniac.  He'll run laps around the coffee table and then run up and down the hallway...then when he's done he'll lay back down and go back to sleep. He's crazy.
    Anniversary

• Options

My beagle also snores like crazy and dreams all the time. She is so stinking cute!

One thing that is totally random that she does is she will "knock" before she enters a room. Like she will literally bang her paw against the wall and poke her head in as if to say, "can I come in?" and then will come into the room.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Not a dog but still cute. ..one of my cats has a fave toy involving a stick with feathers on the end and an elasticy cord from which hang a squeaky mouse.

This toy cannot be put away in the toy bin, it MUST REMAIN OUT AND AVAILABLE FOR PLAY according to the cat.

If we put it away, she will remove it from the box, drag it squeaking up the stairs, and drop it wherever we happen to be before meowing and pawing at us to pay attention to her "kill" and play with her
  • Options
    Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    My dog is peeing on his potty pad right now. So cute! Proud mommy.

ETA: Random Things Dog Owners Do

image   image   image

• Options
    Gus is a nut job, plain and simple. Peculiarities he has include:

- an obsession with tape measures
    - an obsession with all thing babies 
    - he gets embarrassed when he farts (we say "eeewww Gus" and he will ALWAYS run upstairs and pout in the closet)
    - he likes to tap dance on the hardwood floor (DH calls it "getting the skittles"); he stands in one place and does this dance move with his front feet while bucking out his back legs. 
    - he must have his butt facing the door when he barks (...like I've never actually seen him face the door and bark).
    - and his latest - he's decided he needs to protect us from thunder. I should note that thunder is thee only thing he feels the need to protect us from. Great.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

- he gets embarrassed when he farts (we say "eeewww Gus" and he will ALWAYS run upstairs and pout in the closet)
    - he likes to tap dance on the hardwood floor (DH calls it "getting the skittles"); he stands in one place and does this dance move with his front feet while bucking out his back legs. 
    - he must have his butt facing the door when he barks (...like I've never actually seen him face the door and bark).
    - and his latest - he's decided he needs to protect us from thunder. I should note that thunder is thee only thing he feels the need to protect us from. Great.

With all the t-storms out that way I guess you are being protected often   :)

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We have two dogs and they're both nut jobs. Our pit Gemma HATES any animal that comes on the tv. The puppies giving the camera sad eyes while Sarah McLachlan sings in the background? She barks at them. We have a blue line across our tv from her nose hitting it so hard. Giraffes galloping though a meadow? Forget it. She won't freak out when someone walks into our house but when our 85+ year old neighbor walks by she goes nuts and scares her half to death. Our old english bulldogge Brutus is just as ridiculous. Anyone see the Mesothelioma commercial where the guy is sitting on the stool talking? He HATES that guy and tells him off for 15 minutes after hes off the screen. He hates farts so FI will make fart noises with his mouth and he goes nuts. He will bite FI (playfully) and cry like hes being beaten. I'm not sure how I got so lucky with these two gems.
  • Options
    awitmer77 said:
    We have two dogs and they're both nut jobs. Our pit Gemma HATES any animal that comes on the tv. The puppies giving the camera sad eyes while Sarah McLachlan sings in the background? She barks at them. 

We have a blue line across our tv from her nose hitting it so hard. Giraffes galloping though a meadow? Forget it. She won't freak out when someone walks into our house but when our 85+ year old neighbor walks by she goes nuts and scares her half to death. 

Our old english bulldogge Brutus is just as ridiculous. Anyone see the Mesothelioma commercial where the guy is sitting on the stool talking? He HATES that guy and tells him off for 15 minutes after hes off the screen. 

He hates farts so FI will make fart noises with his mouth and he goes nuts. He will bite FI (playfully) and cry like hes being beaten. I'm not sure how I got so lucky with these two gems.

**** SITB ****

That is hilarious.  

• Options
    My dog is constantly licking the floor and other non-food things. One night I stayed up late googling "why is my dog acting weird" and read that it's a sign of cognitive dysfunction in senior dogs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    LDay2014LDay2014 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    Our dog ate FI's iPhone 5.  It smelled like dad so he was trying to love it...with his teeth
  • Options
    My dog watches TV. She notices any time there is an animal on the screen. She goes especially crazy when another dog in on TV. 

She has to walk by her food bowl at least 4 times until she actually eats. I don't know if she is just hoping something better will appear in her bowl. And damn, I feed her Blue Buffalo. No budget shit! She's a snob. 

I also find that a lot of times, she won't eat while we're gone. This breaks my heart because I worry that she thinks we're not coming back and she must conserve her food. She's never left alone for very long, but still. 
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    My dogs act like they have never been fed before.  No way in hell are they leaving food in their bowls.   Nope, not happen.

I'm a mean mommy though.  The dogs have to sit and wait in order to eat.   Sometimes I may make bulldog  form a waterfall of drool before giving the "ok" command.   Not always, but it's pretty damn funny to watch.

• Options
    These are cracking me up. Lots of adorable pups! Peanut likes to build himself a little "nest" before he lies down. This is especially funny to me when it's on the hardwood. I'm like, "How do you determine when you're done, buddy? At what point has the hardwood been sufficiently prepped for lying on?" He also will roll over on his back and flail his front paws up and down in unison until we rub his belly.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    My dog turns his water bowl over every time he is outside so he can carry the water bowl around or throw it up in the air. It makes me facepalm so hard. It is kind of like, "Dude you NEED that to drink..."
    PS His name is Cato, my cat is Katniss, the games never end in my house!
  • Options
    This is a cat story but my dearly departed kitty loved Yul Brennar. Whenever something came on that he was in kitty would stop and watch.
  • Options

This is hilarious!!!
    *msstaticfancypants*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have a dog ATM but my kitties - oh they're special. 

Kittie 1 will chew on my hair when its wet - but ESPECIALLY after I swim laps (Its possible its been a few weeks months since this has happened). She also likes to watch Finding Nemo (you would think all cartoons, nope. Just Finding Nemo.)

Kittie 2 loves to sing the song of her people in the middle of the night. And she tends to do it on nights that I can't fall asleep/need to get up early. It's really nice of her. Sometimes Kittie 2 will also walk up to me/whoever, meow real loud in our face, then walk away like nothing happened. But we aren't allowed to touch her then. Nope - only if she comes and sits on our lap.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Options
    edited July 2014
    blabla89 said:
    My dog is constantly licking the floor and other non-food things. One night I stayed up late googling "why is my dog acting weird" and read that it's a sign of cognitive dysfunction in senior dogs.
    Uh, FI's dog licks the floor and the walls all the time. She's only 3. He has actually looked up tests in the past to see if she's mentally handicapped. I think she's just weird.

She is also obsessed with chasing reflections - off our phones, my watch, my E ring, the BBQ tongs, anything - to the point of smashing into the wall trying to catch them. It's how we "walked" her all winter - reflections on the wall back and forth and back and forth. She chased it one day for half an hour.

She NEVER goes into the basement by herself or when FI goes down there (her old mommy traumatized her by locking her up in the basement all day by herself, so she's scared of it). She'll follow me down there sometimes though. I'll tell her to stay, and she'll sit her butt on the landing and walk her front legs down as far as she can reach so she can be as close to me as possible while still actually "staying."

My dog howls back at Lady and the Tramp, but otherwise ignores the TV. 

• Options

There has been a few times where my pup is licking herself clean and she ends up farting in her own face.  H & I die when it happens! 

ClimbingBride, my pup will also not eat unless we are home.  While she doesn't do this much anymore, there was a long time where she would wait to eat until I was in bed.  Then I would hear her begin munching on her crumbles in the kitchen.

• Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    My dog, for the most part, completely ignores the tv. She doesn't care about any animal on the screen or what they are doing. Unless it is a puppy crying. Then she'll go right to the speaker, very concerned and try to get to the puppy. I recorded this video of her reacting to a crying puppy in a youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6rgwaa4wa4
  • Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Oh, I almost forget, this one had me in hysterics. She's gotten used to the vacuum after hating it at first. Now she's obnoxious and lays down right where I need to vacuum next. But she is only OK with OUR vacuum. She will not go near the cleaning crew's vacuum. A month or so ago, I rented a Rug Doctor. She very cautiously approached it, sniffing it on three legs, so she could bolt if needed. I had it in a hallway and turned it on. Then I heard a commotion behind me- it was the dog, tangled in the cord, trying to get away from the demon device. She was hopping backwards trying to get untangled and away at the same time. I died.
  • Options
    My little man loves rolling in poop at the park, especially the day after getting a bath. He gets hosed down with that one! When he wants to play he'll bring over different toys to find the one you want to play with too. Its really adorable. Speaking of toys, he turns them all into rags by making a small hole and we take out the fuzz. Once it's a rag, he turns it inside out. The only normal toys we still have are plastic. I love him so much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards