Michigan-Northern

In search of a venue...

Hi!

My fiance and I are in search of a venue for our wedding. We live out of state but were born and raised in MI.  We will have lots of out of town guests, many of whom have never been to MI and know nothing more than what they hear on the news or read in the paper. We want to give them the ultimate Michigan experience! The water, the leaves in the fall, great food, great wine, and an all around great time. We are searching for a venue where we can have the wedding ceremony on the water in the fall, with trees around then walk into the reception. We'd prefer a more private location--not a banquet hall or a hotel banquet room. We also want the place to be naturally beautiful so that we aren't trying to dress it up with decorations. We aren't sure if we'll do a sit down dinner or more of a strolling dinner/heavy appetizers so that people aren't stuck at a table waiting for food. There will probably be 125-150 guests, hopefully in October of 2012, budget of around $25k. Think elegant, charming, and simple. Any and all ideas are MOST welcome! we're also open to the entire state of Michigan. Thank you!!

Re: In search of a venue...

• edited December 2011
    You sound like the type of person that would really enjoy a Buffett style reception at Crystal Mountian Resort in Thompsonville, MI. It's far enough away from the towns to keep it private, yet close enough that guests can drive to several nearby villages in minutes.

Yes, I live in Northern Michigan not toofar from Crystal Mountain and Grand Traverse Resort. I

also can tell you that the Grand Traverse Resort has some awesome condos right on the water. You might want to check into those also. Depending on what time of in the summer you're planning, you may find that the whole unit can be rented out at a fair rate. Private and very close to everything!
    BaMaPii!
  • edited December 2011
    Traverse City has some beuatiful locations!  Have you considered Mackinaw Island?  I live in Northern MI and and last year visited the island in early October, we saw a wedding taking place, talk about gorgeous!!  Can't ask for a more romantic place in the fall.
  • edited December 2011
    I just booked my wedding at the Mission Table on Old Mission Peninsula... they have indoor and outdoor (on their lawn overlooking the bay) ceremony options. They also have a gorgeous rustic, but classy reception venue. The Mission Table is an upscale restaurant, so their food in phenomenal. They also have a brewery attached to the restaurant, so there is an abundance of good spirits! It is extremely reasonabley priced and Barbara, the event coordinator is great. I would reccommend this venue to anyone! This place screams northern Michigan, but also has the class of a venue on the east coast. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    castle farms in Charlevoix, beautiful!

http://www.castlefarms.com/Weddings-in-Michigan/

imagewww.castlefarms.com/Michigan-Castle-Photo-Gallery/castle-and-garden-photo-gallery/images/Castle%20at%20Night.jpg" alt="" />
  • edited December 2011
    The "Hagerty Conference Center" is Beautiful! It's on the lake with a view of the Peninnsula - and in Oct. you'd have a front row seat to the fall colors!

http://www.nmc.edu/resources/hagerty-center/facilities/gallery.html

It's not a "typcial" Conference Center. Has beautiful archetecture, and great food!
  • edited December 2011
    Check out this site

Email the editor Maggie.  She's great she specializes in outdoor/rustic themed weddings and handpicks venues for brides based on their needs!  She's really great and super helpful!
  • kr815babykr815baby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

You have to check out The Inn at Stonecliffe on Mackinac Island!  This place is perfect for your Wedding Dream!  They have this amazing ceremony location called the Grotto that is private and perfect for Wedding Ceremonies.  Their view of the Mackinac Bridge will take your breath away!!!                    

• edited December 2011
    Ciccone Vineyard and Winery in Suttons Bay is amazing. They have a restored 1930's barn overlooking the lake that you can do your reception in and a field just off to the side that's perfect for a ceremony. Guests can stay in Traverse City where they'll get the whole experience, plus the 20 min drive to Suttons Bay for the event is beautiful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards