Chit Chat

Thinking about tacos...

mschristie123mschristie123 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
edited August 2014 in Chit Chat
I'm super excited to cook dinner tonight. There was a thread a few weeks back about dinner shortcuts, and I can't remember who mentioned it, but someone was talking about making steak tacos with the pre-cut pieces of steak they have at the grocery store. Shout out to that person- you rock. I found steak strips at Mariano's this weekend and I'm super excited to make fajitas with them when I get home from work! I found some nice corn tortillas, and I'll serve that up with some sauteed bell peppers and onions. And DH said that he'd bring guacamole home! Yum. And, we made a shit ton of pulled pork over the weekend in our new crock pot, and I'm planning on turning that into carnitas tacos tomorrow. Win win! So yeah. That's all I can think about right now. What's cooking tonight with you all?
imageimage">

Re: Thinking about tacos...

• Dinner shortcuts was my thread but I can't take credit for the idea.  Mmmmmm tacos and carnitas.

Tonight we're grilling pork chops and corn.  I'll make a salad and we also might have some kale chips.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Steak, taters, green beans.

I really, really want a burrito from Chipotle though.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• @jcbride2015 - Mmm kale chips! I've never made those. Are they easy?

I almost forgot that we found a recipe for queso fundido that we're trying tonight too! Mexican night, minus the margs :)
    imageimage">
  • We're having a belated birthday dinner at FILs' tonight. No idea what they're cooking besides it being grilled and/or smoked because their oven is broken. :) I hope it's FFIL's famous ribs!

• Some of FFIL's delicious pulled pork and broccoli.
  • DH and I are going to an event sponsored in part by Patron tonight. Good thing I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow.........
    ~*~*~*~*~

• TACO TUESDAY AT ROSA'S!
    *Texas kicks ass :)

Yum yum yum. My mom went with a friend for lunch, and brought DH and me some tacos back!

image   image   image

• I totally think that was my post! We made the bite size steak strips with taco seasoning and ate it on tortillas with white rice and shredded cheese! So good and super quick!

FI gets home before me, so he's starting the rotisserie chicken for dinner. I bought this George Forman rotisserie off my mom's friend for $10 and it's been sooooo worth the money, we use it all the time!

Speaking of tacos though....I'm from New England. So there's not really much "Mexican/ Spanish" type food influence. So my mom always made tacos by browning ground beef, then we put them in the pre-made hard shells that you buy at the grocery store and put some cheese and lettuce on top. So, when I moved out to AZ where there is a huge Mexican influence, my roommate said she was making tacos for dinner. So she gets out a rotisserie chicken and starts shredding the meat off of it. She put the chicken in a tortilla with some cheese and she folds it and dunks it into a skillet of hot oil. I was like whoa, whoa, whoa- I thought you were making tacos? This is not tacos. She laughed SOO hard when I told her what my tacos consisted of. Hers were out of this world delicious but I never make them her way because the oil is unhealthy and it just takes too damn long. But we just thought it was funny how everyone loves tacos but people have such different ideas of what a taco is!

• FI requested BLT's and since he rarely requests something and is sick today, I said yes. But I don't like tomatoes so I'm making myself a bacon and egg sandwhich :)

• mschristie123mschristie123 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2014
    jenna8984 said:

I totally think that was my post! We made the bite size steak strips with taco seasoning and ate it on tortillas with white rice and shredded cheese! So good and super quick!

FI gets home before me, so he's starting the rotisserie chicken for dinner. I bought this George Forman rotisserie off my mom's friend for $10 and it's been sooooo worth the money, we use it all the time!

Speaking of tacos though....I'm from New England. So there's not really much "Mexican/ Spanish" type food influence. So my mom always made tacos by browning ground beef, then we put them in the pre-made hard shells that you buy at the grocery store and put some cheese and lettuce on top. So, when I moved out to AZ where there is a huge Mexican influence, my roommate said she was making tacos for dinner. So she gets out a rotisserie chicken and starts shredding the meat off of it. She put the chicken in a tortilla with some cheese and she folds it and dunks it into a skillet of hot oil. I was like whoa, whoa, whoa- I thought you were making tacos? This is not tacos. She laughed SOO hard when I told her what my tacos consisted of. Hers were out of this world delicious but I never make them her way because the oil is unhealthy and it just takes too damn long. But we just thought it was funny how everyone loves tacos but people have such different ideas of what a taco is!

@jenna8984 Yes- that was you! Thanks for the great idea! To the bolded- that was so my life. I was at the grocery the other day looking for tortillas and I found those nasty hard shell tacos my mom fed us as a kid. Did your mom give you tacos with those little plastic taco holders??

I've lived a few different states as an adult, and have come to experience slightly more authentic Mexican food than my mom's. Highlight of my life was the year I lived in LA and I ate street tacos from taco trucks and gas stations. Amazing.

edited to tag
    imageimage">
  • jenna8984 said:

I totally think that was my post! We made the bite size steak strips with taco seasoning and ate it on tortillas with white rice and shredded cheese! So good and super quick!

@jenna8984 Yes- that was you! Thanks for the great idea! To the bolded- that was so my life. I was at the grocery the other day looking for tortillas and I found those nasty hard shell tacos my mom fed us as a kid. Did your mom give you tacos with those little plastic taco holders??

I've lived a few different states as an adult, and have come to experience slightly more authentic Mexican food than my mom's. Highlight of my life was the year I lived in LA and I ate street tacos from taco trucks and gas stations. Amazing.

edited to tag
    Hey sometimes Old El Paso just hits the spot!

• WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    We do tacos when we have no time to cook. I cook up .5lbs of steak strips (they're called stir fry steak at my grocery store) and then add 1/2 cup of salsa to the meat and cook for about 30 seconds to heat the salsa. Super yummy, super healthy and crazy fast. ETA - I think we're having spaghetti and meat sauce tonight. Another quick recipe.

• edited August 2014

I bought two pounds of thick sliced, maple cured bacon from the butcher. So, it's BLTs and corn on the cob at my house tonight. Yum!  

The fajitas and carnitas sound great.

• @mschristie123 Well my childhood was ruined because we did not have taco holders!! We did, however, have a plastic plate/ bowl shaped like a fish that we only used on fish night.....so that makes up for it! When we were teenagers my mom threw them out and we were so disappointed- we actually asked her "So how am I supposed to know if this is chicken or fish if its not in a fish plate?" hahahahha (they made a lot of swordfish and kinds that could somewhat pass for chicken)

• emmaaa said:
    FI requested BLT's and since he rarely requests something and is sick today, I said yes. But I don't like tomatoes so I'm making myself a bacon and egg sandwhich :)
    Mmmm.... I'm a big fan of BLTAs - bacon, lettuce, tomato and avocado. *drool*
    ~*~*~*~*~

• DH is away so I'm going to dinner with my parents.  We'll be hitting up this old restaurant that has literally the best burgers ever, and like 20 different versions. . . . I try to get different ones all the time.  I love their reeuben burger, and last time I had gorgonzola and bacon.  Always with well done fries. 

I've had a pretty awful diet week this week so far. . . . . looks like i'll be taking my mutt for an extra long walk around the block to try to balance it out.  I haven't been running in forever because my back is straight up awful these days!

• TACO TUESDAY AT ROSA'S! *Texas kicks ass :) Yum yum yum. My mom went with a friend for lunch, and brought DH and me some tacos back!

Love that place! And hell yeah Texas kicks ass!
    -Texas girl

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• emmaaa said:
    FI requested BLT's and since he rarely requests something and is sick today, I said yes. But I don't like tomatoes so I'm making myself a bacon and egg sandwhich :)
    Mmmm.... I'm a big fan of BLTAs - bacon, lettuce, tomato and avocado. *drool*
    I think I could substitute the tomato for the avocado and be happy! Never thought of that.

• Y'all are making me hungry. Unfortunately, shark week means nausea, so I'll probably have toast for dinner like I've had for breakfast and lunch today.
    eyeroll
  • I made tacos last Tuesday.  Such a quick and easy meal.  I use ground turkey instead of beef.  So delish.

I remembered as I was pulling out of my development that I forgot to take something out for dinner.  I called DH but then he appeared in my rear view mirror lol.  He said since he needs to drop off the dry cleaning he'll pick up Thai food for dinner.

Score!  No cooking and extra time out walking with the pup!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @jcbride2015 - Mmm kale chips! I've never made those. Are they easy?

I almost forgot that we found a recipe for queso fundido that we're trying tonight too! Mexican night, minus the margs :)
    Yes, they're pretty easy.  I really like making them and snacking throughout the day, but they don't hold up to storage very well.

I like them with some salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  They're also really good with parmesan or romano cheese sprinkled on!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Tacos sound SO good right now! I am jealous of your dinner for the next couple of nights!

Tonight I am making potato crusted cod with a side of flash fried spinach. Not as exciting as your dinner, but it will do the trick.

• Hummus crusted chicken with a side of roasted asparagus over here. I may do some roasted potatos too because I like my starch.

Unfortunately now all I can think about is tacos and I want to go to this little mexican place we have in town for dinner instead.

• I'm going out to dinner with a friend so H is on his own for dinner tonight.

Anniversary

• We're having a belated birthday dinner at FILs' tonight. No idea what they're cooking besides it being grilled and/or smoked because their oven is broken. :) I hope it's FFIL's famous ribs!

Turned out to be grilled salmon! And bumpy cake with salted caramel truffle ice cream! Yay!

Turned out to be grilled salmon! And bumpy cake with salted caramel truffle ice cream! Yay!
    What is bumpy cake?
    eyeroll
  • Spaghetti squash nuked in the microwave, then served with sauce with other veggies tossed in. Great for the hot summer days. That and corn on the cob.
  • Inkdancer said:
    We're having a belated birthday dinner at FILs' tonight. No idea what they're cooking besides it being grilled and/or smoked because their oven is broken. :) I hope it's FFIL's famous ribs!
    What is bumpy cake?

I think it's a Michigan thing... and it's magical. Moist, fudgy chocolate cake... thick, piped on bumps of butter cream... all coated in rich chocolate ganache.

• I make a taco night/mexican themed thing once a week. I love.

love.

love.

tacoes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards