Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Sandals Honeymoon?

jfaracijfaraci member
First Anniversary
edited July 2014 in Honeymoon Discussions
My FI and I are trying to figure out what we want to do for our honeymoon. We are getting married 3/28/15, but we probably won't go anywhere until July or August (I am a teacher). We want to go somewhere in the Caribbean and we are trying not to spend more than $5K (flights from DC included). Has anyone ever gone on a honeymoon or trip to a Sandals resort? I spoke with a Sandals agent and it all sounds awesome... I just have no idea how Sandals compares to other all-inclusive resorts and/or other trip ideas. I really have no idea where to begin searching for anything else. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated!!

I also saw Sandals has a honeymoon registry online! Does anyone have xperience using one of those??

Re: Sandals Honeymoon?

• Options

Sandals is very nice. They are probably the largest company that does adult only all inclusives so it's hard to compare them with others like Riu who are open to families and children. Another great adults only is Couples.

The ones in Jamaica are normally the most cost effective. Other islands that are in the USVI tend to cost more and have more expensive flights but I think you can definitely do Jamaica on your budget.

Honeymoon registries get a big fat no. They are seen as rude and tacky by most. If you don't want items for your home it's best to just not have any registry and people will know to give cash. It's not appropriate to ask for help in paying for your honeymoon. Even if it's an extra like "dinner on the beach", it' still best to just not ask for it and use cash gifts towards it on your own.

• Options
    Our hm to Sandals Grande St. Lucian '08  is what started our love of Sandals.  Since then we have been to Sandals Negril, Sandals Antigua, back to Sandals Grande St. Lucian and this past March went to Sandals Whitehouse (going back next year).  We have also been to one other all inclusive adults only twice (THE Royal Cancun which is now Hyatt Zilira).  Honestly, for the price, it didn't even compare (although the room was a lot bigger and nicer than Sandals). I have reviews and a ton of pics in the link above my siggy pic if you would like to check it out. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. 

As for the hm registry.  Ehh...I differ from the majority on here.  Only you know your guests and how they will react to it.  We had a small wedding 25 couples ranging in age from 30's (our age bracket)- late 60's and they liked ours. Now I'm sure some would say that everyone was just being kind. Well, again, internet folks don't know your crowd (trust me, our crowd sure as heck would have complained if they didn't like it. We are an outspoken bunch :) We had "extras" on ours as our hm was fully paid by us 6 months before we ever went.  I wrote down what each couple had "bought" us (you only get the money not the actual activity) and made sure to take a pic of us doing that activity.  When I sent out our thank you cards I included the pic. That being said, you always book the hm you can afford to pay for on your own (sounds like you can as you have a budget in mind), if you can't, then you don't get one.  

I believe there is a right way and a wrong way to do any type of registry. Technically, any type of registry is asking/telling people what to get you.  So, if you don't like one kind then you shouldn't like any of them and just not do one and let your guests have the free choice of what they wish to get you (if anything at all).  That being said, word of month would be the most proper way to get it out there that you have a registry (no social media posts, no cards in the invitations.....). 

Ok, I'm preparing to be flamed now :) 
  • Options
    We've been to Sandals Montego Bay and Sandals Antigua.  I think you could do Montego for your budget, and it was our favorite caribbean vacation so far.  I believe we were in the Almonds building, the only thing about MoBay is it is very close to the airport, so some people find the rooms that face that direction quite noisy (we faced the beach and had no issues with it).  MoBay has a private beach meaning no vendors can be on it which was a big plus compared with Sandals Antigua location and Couples Negril (my least favorite AI of the three).

Don't do a honeymoon registry, they are tacky.  Registries are for guest convenience, so if Aunt Em wants to get you something she can see what color towels match your bathroom or what size sheets you need, and avoid getting you a toaster if she sees someone else already has.  Everyone knows money is a good gift, and people don't require any assistance in picking it out.  If you prefer cash don't register at all or do a small registry of upgrades, and if someone asks what you'd like you can say you're saving for a honeymoon.
  • Options
    jfaraci said:
    My FI and I are trying to figure out what we want to do for our honeymoon. We are getting married 3/28/15, but we probably won't go anywhere until July or August (I am a teacher). We want to go somewhere in the Caribbean and we are trying not to spend more than $5K (flights from DC included). Has anyone ever gone on a honeymoon or trip to a Sandals resort? I spoke with a Sandals agent and it all sounds awesome... I just have no idea how Sandals compares to other all-inclusive resorts and/or other trip ideas. I really have no idea where to begin searching for anything else. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated!!

I also saw Sandals has a honeymoon registry online! Does anyone have xperience using one of those??
    I can't speak about Sandals directly as I've never stayed there, however please don't do a honeymoon registry.  It's tacky.  I don't want to fund any part of your love fest.  
  • Options
    We are date twins! And I'm also a teacher! FWIW we had a similar budget and are doing Secrets Maroma Beach in Mexico... But the Dominican Republic and Jamaica were also in the running. We found our budget didn't go as far on other carribean islands. And ditto PPs - no honeymoon registry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Your budget is likely doable with Sandals, just watch the specials and extras. I would say that for the most part the prices typically stay the same. After booking my trip I noticed that the price dropped about $600.00 and they happily credited me that amount when I called. My flights from Indiana to Jamaica are costing about $1050.00 for the two of us. I have heard that flights to Jamaica are more affordable than many of the other locations in the Caribbean. I am actually using the Sandals registry site as my website for the wedding. I wish they did not include registry in the name of the site as I am only using bed bath and beyond. I just do not feel like going and making a whole new wedding website.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm doing the Sandals Grande Antigua. I've never stayed at a couples resort, but am very excited! The flights are more, but if you buy earlier they are cheaper. Sandals will help you select a flight, but you can also book yourself. I ended up spending slightly more than 5k for a 7 day stay, but my flight was top range. I also was able to pay it off in increment. To hold a room is $400 and then you have up to about two months before honeymoon to pay off, which was very helpful to me. $200 left to go!!! I'll let everyone know how it goes, but I've been reading a lot of Trip Advisor reviews and it seems that as long as you are not super picky you will be fine at a sandals. That site has user photos and reviews, so I've been using it a lot to get a real idea idea of what to expect. 

As for a Honey Fund, I wouldn't want anyone to dictate my vacation activities or to pay for my vacation. If we get $$ at the wedding, great, we may use a bit and get a tour of the island or something, but we are not counting on it. I'd say work out a payment plan that works for you for your vacation  and save any 'gift money' for life (or just a rainy day)if you get any wedding cash. (also I would NEVER mention a honey fund or honeymoon registry on this site, they will eviscerate you for it).  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We just came back from our honeymoon at Sandals Whitehouse, and it was one of the greatest trips I've ever taken.  @monkeygirl18 has really detailed and helpful reviews!  We had never been to an all inclusive, and despite the ride from Montego Bay, it was totally worth it.  I think you could definitely do it on your budget, and the resort was at roughly 60% last week.  There were people there to socialize with if you wanted to, but definitely not crowded at all.  We loved the food, the views, the pools, everything!  We almost booked another trip while we were there--my husband fell in love.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @Weesh I am thinking about bringing small 16oz tumbler glasses just for when we are at the pool and pool bar. That way,  can make fewer trips up to get drinks and keep them cold longer. Did you see anyone do this while you were there?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

@Weesh I am thinking about bringing small 16oz tumbler glasses just for when we are at the pool and pool bar. That way,  can make fewer trips up to get drinks and keep them cold longer. Did you see anyone do this while you were there?

I did this at SWH and saw plenty of others too. I never even thought about it on our previous trips until I saw it posted all over TrioAdvisor.

• Options
    There were ton of people who did this. We spent most of our time in the pool itself, so we were always close to the bar but people definitely do it and bring them to their chairs or back to their rooms.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Lauramae980, you will love Grande Antigua!  If you have space I might bring a small cooler as well, the beach is public and most chairs are a quite bit from the bar, so that and/or the tumblers will help you minimize trips.  Food wise don't miss the bruschetta at Mario's, the pizza, and the teppanyaki restaurant.  Elanor's was also good but they overhyped it a bit for what it was, with more tempered expectations I think we would have liked it better.
  • Options
    As far as Sandals honeymoon registry, take a look at their outrageous fees. Do you want to give the company ten percent of your gifts? Everyone knows plain old cash or checks is a perfect wedding gift so need to have a money registry.
  • Options
    How are the food options at Sandals resorts?
  • Options
    Depends on which resort. Their website will tell you how many eateries and what kind of food they serve (Asian,French, Caribbean...) and I believe there are some sample menus too.

Of the four we've been to, Antigua was the only one I didn't like the food.

Food wise St. Lucia Grande and Whitehouse are tied, with Negril coming in second. Resort wise, again a tie between Grande and Whitehouse(Grande we've been to twice, Whitehouse once so far but going back next year) and a tie between Negril and Antigua( been one time each).
  • Options
    I should also note that I am a very picky eater and I always found plenty to eat. Also, at least at Whithouse, the wait staff was very diligent about asking if either of us had food allergies. I will also note that food portions tend to be small but you may certainly order more.
  • Options
    thank you!
  • Options
    monkeygirl18, have you been to either of the other 2 St. Lucia Sandals? I have been looking at the Grande St Lucian, but only because it looks the prettiest in pictures!
  • Options
    We are going on our honeymoon in November to Sandals Royal Plantation in Jamaica.  We've never been to Sandals, but we've heard mostly positive things about it, and the prices are reasonable for what you get.  It is also cheaper to fly to Jamaica than some of the other places.  The Royal Plantation is a smaller, all-butler resort, but we can also use the facilities at the much larger Grande Riviera.  You might want to just look at the different options on their website to find out which type of environment you would prefer.  Good luck!
  • Options

monkeygirl18, have you been to either of the other 2 St. Lucia Sandals? I have been looking at the Grande St Lucian, but only because it looks the prettiest in pictures!

No, we never went to the other two. I did a lot of research and neither fit our criteria (mainly, beach).
  • Options
    We are doing Sandals Grande Riviera in Jamaica but not until April 27th 2015. I liked the St. Lucia resorts, but for a butler suite on our honeymoon, Jamaica was more budget friendly. Would love some reviews.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @caitlinmca We also chose Sandals Grande Riviera, and will be getting married there as well May 15, 2015! It was definitely one of the most affordable options and we chose the butler suite too. I am also interested in any reviews that people have to offer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @caitlinmca We also chose Sandals Grande Riviera, and will be getting married there as well May 15, 2015! It was definitely one of the most affordable options and we chose the butler suite too. I am also interested in any reviews that people have to offer.
    @futuremrsk515 I'll keep you in mind when the time actually comes around and let you know how we liked it. Also, if you have a Southwest Airlines in an airport near you, they are starting flights to Montego Bay and other international destinations and granted Southwest is only booking up until March 6th, 2015 currently, but they are cheaper than other airlines like delta, american airlines, and I believe us airways was the other one that went to Montego Bay according to sandals.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks! My dad actually purchased our flights for us as our wedding gift already. It ended up costing about $1050 for the two of us and we are going through US Airways.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @caitlinmca & futuremrsk515 I see you are both headed to Jamaica. We've been twice and love it (going back next March). Check out Club Mobay for arrival and departure (can do either one or both).

http://www.vipattractions.com/club-mobay.php

We did the arrival and departure this past March and thought it was great. Arrival only saved us maybe 10-20min (our flight came in Sat. before "rush hr") but hey, we got to start our vac. that much sooner.

Departure was great to have since our flight was delayed an hr. We got to eat and drink in a nice comfy area and had free wifi. We will be doing both again next year.
  • Options
    @monkeygirl18 how does the transfers work once your at the airport with sandals? I mean say your flight arrives at 12:40PM, do you head straight to your sandals resort immediately after, or do you have to sit and wait for forever? Besides going on a cruise to the Bahamas I've never been outside of the country, this is all so new.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It all depends.

In our 5 trips to Sandals we've never waited more than a half hr to get on the road.

Once you land you find your way to customs then on to baggage claim then to immigration. Once past all that you find your way to the Sandals lounge (it's not far and you really can't miss it).

You hand your bags off to a porter (if they are wearing a Sandals name tag and I believe it was a brown shirt, they work for sandals and do not need to be tipped*although they might try*). They will ask what resort you are going to (I can't remember if they took our transport voucher that came in our packet or not) and tag you bags accordingly (we kept our carry on bags with us). They also gave us an estimate on how long until we were to head out. Once your bags are taken you a free to roam about outside (we did) or just chill in the lounge.

When the time comes they will call for all who are headed to xyz resort to claim their bags (take your bags, don't let anyone take them for you or they will need to be tipped*we took our own bags*).

We then followed a Sandals employee out to our waiting mini van. We handed our bags off to the driver to be loaded in.

Once at the resort our bags were unloaded and we were asked to pick out which one/ones were ours to make sure that hey were all there. After that, for us, it was off to Club Sandals to finish checking in and head to our room. I think it was about a half hr tops after we arrived in our room that our bags were delivered.

Make sure to either wear (I do) or pack in your carry on your bathing suite. That way if you arrive before your room is ready or before your luggage gets to your room you can hit the beach or pools.
  • Options
    It all depends. In our 5 trips to Sandals we've never waited more than a half hr to get on the road. Once you land you find your way to customs then on to baggage claim then to immigration. Once past all that you find your way to the Sandals lounge (it's not far and you really can't miss it). You hand your bags off to a porter (if they are wearing a Sandals name tag and I believe it was a brown shirt, they work for sandals and do not need to be tipped*although they might try*). They will ask what resort you are going to (I can't remember if they took our transport voucher that came in our packet or not) and tag you bags accordingly (we kept our carry on bags with us). They also gave us an estimate on how long until we were to head out. Once your bags are taken you a free to roam about outside (we did) or just chill in the lounge. When the time comes they will call for all who are headed to xyz resort to claim their bags (take your bags, don't let anyone take them for you or they will need to be tipped*we took our own bags*). We then followed a Sandals employee out to our waiting mini van. We handed our bags off to the driver to be loaded in. Once at the resort our bags were unloaded and we were asked to pick out which one/ones were ours to make sure that hey were all there. After that, for us, it was off to Club Sandals to finish checking in and head to our room. I think it was about a half hr tops after we arrived in our room that our bags were delivered. Make sure to either wear (I do) or pack in your carry on your bathing suite. That way if you arrive before your room is ready or before your luggage gets to your room you can hit the beach or pools.
    Thanks so much! What are the (main) differences between the Club Mobay and the Sandals lounge? Sorry for all of the questions.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    No problem.
    Club Mobay is a totally separate entity from Sandals.

Main differences. Club Mobay Arrival will fast track you through customs and immigration. Sandals lounge is just a waiting area where you check in to wait for your transport to the resort. Regardless of wether you do Club Mobay arrival or not you will still go to the Sandals lounge and check in to await your transport to the resort. The exception would be if you book a private transport to the resort. We've never done that as the transport that is part of the all inclusive is fine for us. So, I have no idea if you still check in at the Sandals lounge or not.

For departure there is a big difference between Sandals and Club Mobay. Once you Sandals transport back to the airport drops you off, you're on your own. There is no Sandals lounge at the airpot for departure. You check your bags at the checked luggage desk and head for security and the sit in the airport like everyone else.

With Club Mobay, Sandals drops you off and you're still on your own for checking in your luggage but, after that it's different. Once your luggage is checked in with your airline you head to the Club Mobay fast track lane. You'll be fast tracked through security and then escorted to or told how to get to the Club Mobay lounge. Once there you are greeted and taken to one of three lounges (2 adult only lounges and 1 family friendly lounge). The lounges have nice comfy couches, chairs and tables, food (Jamaican patties, bagels, muffins, fruit and such) drinks (juice,coffee,tea and alcoholic beverages), free wifi, clean bathrooms, shower area and I think even a spa.

There are a lot of posts about it on TripAdvisor especially whether the extra cost is worth it. That is very subjective. To us, it was well worth it. Hence, the reason I already booked it for next years trip.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask, it's not a bother at all.
  • Options

@monkeygirl18 - We are going to Sandals in November, and we are reserving Club Mobay  for the departure.  Based on your comments, I'm wondering if we should do the arrival service.  For the arrival, did you save much time by using their services?  We will be arriving around noon on a Sunday, so we assume it may be fairly crowded at the airport.  Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards