Chit Chat

Fucking UTI's

2»

Re: Fucking UTI's

• UTIs are teh suck. I had one that lasted nearly a month. It was just a constant cycle of UTI and yeast problems for nearly 4 weeks straight. I was left with what my doctor could only explain as a mild PTSD. I was obsessed and completely fixated on my bladder.... I still am, but I've kinda forced myself to calm down.

I had a fantastic urologist talk to me about my UTIs. He suggested drinking 100% cranberry juice (not cocktail!) and eating yogurt once a day or at least a few times a week. I've only had one in the last two years, which is a dramatic decrease. My bladder isn't emptying out all the way, most likely. I have to go in for proper testing next week. I'm actually super excited to get down to the bottom of this because this is no way to live.

I'm so sorry you were stuck with one at work, that's the worst!
  • There is another prevention trick that also helps. When you have finished urinating, bend as forward as you can, still sitting. If you are at home, try to place your palms on the floor. More urine will come out. It's like a juice presser. Sometimes it will be just a tinkle, other times, it will be almost as much as you just peed. It's a way of truly emptying the bladder.
    Happiness is an inside job
  • I hate UTI's with a passion. They have practically ruined my sex life and I am still getting over my fear of them. Fiance and I are working on being more intimate and I am working on trying not to worry so much about getting them all of the time. I used to get them every two to three months until I started taking D-Mannose. I buy mine off of Amazon and it is the 500mg NOW capsules. I was able to avoid getting them for about six months and then I forgot to take them. It was probably the worst UTI I have ever had. I now always make sure to take at least three before sex and three after. It has been maybe four months since I had my last one now. I never drink anything besides water now when I am intimate. I always make sure to pee a few times after sex and before bed. I also occasionally take AZO cranberry soft gels as well. UTI's suck and I have learned from experience that it is easier to prevent them than to get rid of them.

I wish I would have had a doctor tell me about D-Mannose at some point in my life but none of them have ever mentioned it. Anytime you go to a doctor for a UTI make sure they do a culture so that you are getting an antibiotic that will actually cure it. I did not have a culture taken for my last UTI and I was being treated with antibiotics that were resistant to the bacteria. I finally got a culture and they had to call in a new prescription with an antibiodic that would take care of the problem.
    I was also pissed that none of my doctors told me about D-Mannose. I think you should try the apple cider vinegar too. It really helps. I drink just two tablespoons every morning and I haven't had a UTI since I started doing that, along with the D-Mannose powder. 
  • I am currently in the middle of having one right now. I am holding off going to the doctor because my insurance sucks. I just had one last month too.

I get these frequently, but hadn't had one for about 7 months. I started taking D Mannose which seemed to help at the time. I still take D Mannose but obviously it isn't a cure-all because I have recently gotten 2 more.

This is so frustrating, and interferes with life way too much!

Do any of you experience just the urgency to go, and not the burning?

• I have had the urgency to go without the burning. I find that this happens more often when I am drinking only water and large quantities. I have found that the symptoms are not really always the same.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks. That is what I am experiencing now and I am wondering if I can get it to go away with just the D Mannose, since that is the only symptom I am having.
  • edited August 2014
    If you still have symptoms after the first day I would see a doctor. I have learned the hard way that it is always important to see a doctor who can have a culture done. I used to go to those quick clinics, and minute clinic, but have been under-prescribed or given an antibiotic that would not do the trick. By having a culture done they know exactly what bacteria is causing the UTI and what to treat it with.

What brand of D Mannose do you take? I take the NOW brand in capsule form. I have heard that some brands are not as good as others, although I have only tried this one brand.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am guilty of using quick clinics. I have only used Patient First for my UTIs. However, if I don't feel better by tomorrow I plan to call my regular doctor. Hopefully by doing that, I will get a better idea of what bacteria it is. Thanks. I also use the NOW brand capsules. I had great success with it for months, but all of a sudden I am getting them again. I would much rather use something natural than antibiotics, but I guess I may have to resort to antibiotics again.
  • levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    I get chronic UTI's, and have gotten them since I was an infant.  I totally understand how terrible they are.  Mine also do a fun trick of turning into a full blown kidney infection, sometimes because, due to how many I've had, my UTI's are at times asymptomatic.  

Luckily, there are a few things you can do to help. 

1) Take a daily probiotic.  Look for probiotics that are 20 Billion CFU +.  You can also look for specialized female probiotics in addition to probiotics that support general digestive health.  Most good brands will need to be kept in the refrigerator.  Orthobiotic has one that does NOT need to be kept in the fridge, and is 20 Billion CFU.  

2) Take daily D-Mannose, either in a drink, or in capsule form.  Since I am prone, I take 1000 mg of D-Mannose a day.  The reason it works is due to its ability to attract the pilli of the bacteria in your urinary system.  The pilli of the bacteria (basically the arms of the bacteria) are what stick to your cell walls, so when you take D-Mannose and Cranberry juice (which contains PACs and does the same thing) the bacteria stick to the D-Mannose instead and help to flush them out.  This can help to prevent a UTI before it ever starts. 

3) Drink a ton of water.  Which of course sounds like a great time when it already burns to pee.  But you absolutely need that liquid.  Also, drink cranberry juice.  And when I say Cranberry juice, I mean the real stuff, the gross stuff, the stuff that makes you grimace.  I add water to mine with a little apple cider vinegar (which is good for you in a ton of different ways).  It helps to make it more manageable to drink.  

4) While you have the infection and are on antibiotics, stay away from sugar and alcohol, which only serve to feed the bacteria.  I guess I should have mentioned before that if you aren't on antibiotics, you need to go to the doctor to get some.  It's the only way to get rid of a UTI and if you don't treat it, it can scar your bladder, kidneys, turn into a kidney infection, and even scar your ovaries.  Even though it is painful, try to stay away from painkillers which may also be hard on your kidneys, which are already working harder than normal.  Your doctor may also prescribe you a painkiller if you are in too much pain.   

5) If you have extra cash, Ellura is great to help as a daily preventative measure.  It's expensive at $45 for 60 pills (you take one or two a day, unless you are exhibiting symptoms of a UTI), but it helps a lot.  It is much, much better than AZO or anything standard at the drug store.  

6) Your doctor may ask if you would like to be on a prophylactic, such as Macrodantin.  I personally don't want to be on a daily antibiotic (even a low 35 mg dose one) because being on heavy duty antibiotics for the first five years of my life is what caused my immune system to be so abysmal and has more than likely contributed to my ongoing chronic UTI problem.  Overuse of antibiotics will also create more problems than is worth.  If you try everything possible and you still are having problems, then a) I would look into more reasons why you are getting so many chronic UTI's and b) A prophylactic may be worth considering.

7) Pee before sex.  Pee after sex.  Make sure your partner is clean.  As unromantic as it is, you might even have to make sure you both have showered recently before sex.  Don't be afraid to ask your partner to shower. UTI's aren't fun for any one, and they definitely interfere with the ability to enjoy hanky panky.  Ain't nobody got time for that.  Also, I'm pretty sure DH would rather you ask him to take a five minute shower first than watch you writhe in pain for a few days.   My gyno also told me condoms help to prevent UTI's.    

8) Make sure that you wipe front to back after using the restroom.  

9)  Use the restroom frequently.  Holding it in can make you susceptible to getting a UTI.  

10)  On a day to day basis drink a lot of water.  Try to stay away from soda and sugary beverages in general.  

Hope you feel better and hope this helps!  I've had a looooong time to trial and error, and time to figure out that when I skip certain things (like peeing more than 30 minutes after sex) I truly regret it within a matter of hours.  When I started having sex I got 2 UTI's a month for nearly the first year.  I had one UTI that lasted 3 months.  It was totally awesome.  Hopefully if you act now and act fast, you can prevent that. Sorry this post was a monstrosity!  

• mysticl said:
    Inkdancer said:
    The only UTI I've ever had was from staying in the bath too long. UTIs are still bullcrap. Hope you feel better soon!
    Oh, yeah due to my history I do not take baths.  If I do soak in the tub it is clear water only. I do not introduce any soap type products to the water.  If I need to wash my body I drain the tub and take a shower.  
    I can't take baths anymore either, and it really sucks. I mean, sometimes all a girl wants to do is run a nice bath, light some candles, pop open a bottle of wine, and just relax.  Also, those bath bombs from Lush are so cool, and it's a total bummer I can't ever try them.  I also have to make sure to change out of swimsuits as soon as I am out of the water.  

• thanks Time2strtliving for the post. There was so much good advice in your post. I feel like I do so many of those things, but it still happens! I do take a probiotic but think it is only 1 billion organisms or something.

I haven't heard of Ellura either, I will look in to that. Do you think this helps at preventing UTIs? Any better than DMannose?

I have a gyno appointment at the end of the month so I am definitely going to mention this issue, as I have never brought it up with her before.

• edited August 2014

I found some research for watermelon seed tea which is proven successful for bladder, kidney and urinary tract problems. I bought some and plan to try it to see how this works at preventing future infections.

I also started taking garlic capsules (garlic is a natural antibiotic & contains sulfuric compounds).

Asparagus, Coconut Water and Pineapple have worked in the past for me as well.

I will try anything to stay away from antibiotics, unless it is absolutely necessary.

• thanks Time2strtliving for the post. There was so much good advice in your post. I feel like I do so many of those things, but it still happens! I do take a probiotic but think it is only 1 billion organisms or something.

I haven't heard of Ellura either, I will look in to that. Do you think this helps at preventing UTIs? Any better than DMannose?

I have a gyno appointment at the end of the month so I am definitely going to mention this issue, as I have never brought it up with her before.

I do all of those things too, and I still get them.  =(  When I was an infant I had bladder reconstruction surgery, and I also only have one functioning kidney, and as a result I was put on some super heavy duty antibiotics which is probably why I still get them today.  Now, for the most part when I get them, it's because I've done something dumb like having sex after a swim in the pool (but not showering first) or not going pee before and after.  Drinking a lot of sugary drinks/and or drinking too much alcohol and not enough water also make me susceptible.  I drink two glasses of water for every one alcoholic beverage.  It makes me super bloated, but I'll take a day of bloat over a weeklong UTI and a terrible hangover in the morning.    

The Ellura helped me a lot.  However, I can't afford to buy it all the time so I make due with the D-Mannose, which is still good to take and does help to prevent them.  For me, there isn't a single "Magic bullet,"  but there's definitely bullets that will kill my best attempts to prevent them.  

Your gyno will probably suggest a low dose prophylactic for you to take within an hour of having sex.  It's up to you to decide if you want to keep trying different things first, or if you want to try that instead/in conjunction.  I'm with @CaitlinValerie3 with trying to avoid antibiotics whenever possible, although once you actually have a UTI, antibiotics are the only way to actually get rid of it.  I also second taking garlic capsules as a general health benefit (great for a natural antibiotic, for the heart, and as a natural bug repellent).

The worst my UTI's ever got was in the first year after having sex for the first time.  They were so bad I thought about quitting sex because it just didn't seem worth it.  I took the prophylactic for like two months before trying to wean myself off of it and starting the Ellura/D-Mannose/Probiotic combo.  Part of my personal problem was that I am so antibiotic resistant now, that adding more antibiotics for the bacteria to become resistant to just didn't seem like a wise plan.  

My gyno also said one of her patients told her the only way she figured out to prevent having a UTI was to take a spoonful of apple cider vinegar in the morning with a squeeze of lemon in it.  I can't vouch for the scientific validity of that specifically for UTI's, but you probably couldn't go wrong with trying it, since ACV is helpful in a host of different ways.  I would definitely brush my teeth right after though if I did try that, since that's a pretty acidic combo.  

Also, I'm sure you've gone in by now for antibiotics to treat your UTI, so just remember that if you're on hormonal birth control, antibiotics interfere with it and you can get pregnant.  You're probably not having sex if you're in pain, but if you've been on it about two days and are feeling better and up for it, remember to double up and use a condom in addition to the hormonal method if you're waiting to have kids.   

One more note: If you have gone in and gotten antibiotics, you should feel a massive difference within a day, and about 75% better in two days.  If you're feeling worse, you may be on the wrong antibiotics, or you might have a more serious bladder or kidney infection so get in as soon as possible to reevaluate your condition.  

Hope you're feeling better! 

I do all of those things too, and I still get them.  =(  When I was an infant I had bladder reconstruction surgery, and I also only have one functioning kidney, and as a result I was put on some super heavy duty antibiotics which is probably why I still get them today.  Now, for the most part when I get them, it's because I've done something dumb like having sex after a swim in the pool (but not showering first) or not going pee before and after.  Drinking a lot of sugary drinks/and or drinking too much alcohol and not enough water also make me susceptible.  I drink two glasses of water for every one alcoholic beverage.  It makes me super bloated, but I'll take a day of bloat over a weeklong UTI and a terrible hangover in the morning.    

The Ellura helped me a lot.  However, I can't afford to buy it all the time so I make due with the D-Mannose, which is still good to take and does help to prevent them.  For me, there isn't a single "Magic bullet,"  but there's definitely bullets that will kill my best attempts to prevent them.  

Your gyno will probably suggest a low dose prophylactic for you to take within an hour of having sex.  It's up to you to decide if you want to keep trying different things first, or if you want to try that instead/in conjunction.  I'm with @CaitlinValerie3 with trying to avoid antibiotics whenever possible, although once you actually have a UTI, antibiotics are the only way to actually get rid of it.  I also second taking garlic capsules as a general health benefit (great for a natural antibiotic, for the heart, and as a natural bug repellent).

The worst my UTI's ever got was in the first year after having sex for the first time.  They were so bad I thought about quitting sex because it just didn't seem worth it.  I took the prophylactic for like two months before trying to wean myself off of it and starting the Ellura/D-Mannose/Probiotic combo.  Part of my personal problem was that I am so antibiotic resistant now, that adding more antibiotics for the bacteria to become resistant to just didn't seem like a wise plan.  

My gyno also said one of her patients told her the only way she figured out to prevent having a UTI was to take a spoonful of apple cider vinegar in the morning with a squeeze of lemon in it.  I can't vouch for the scientific validity of that specifically for UTI's, but you probably couldn't go wrong with trying it, since ACV is helpful in a host of different ways.  I would definitely brush my teeth right after though if I did try that, since that's a pretty acidic combo.  

Also, I'm sure you've gone in by now for antibiotics to treat your UTI, so just remember that if you're on hormonal birth control, antibiotics interfere with it and you can get pregnant.  You're probably not having sex if you're in pain, but if you've been on it about two days and are feeling better and up for it, remember to double up and use a condom in addition to the hormonal method if you're waiting to have kids.   

One more note: If you have gone in and gotten antibiotics, you should feel a massive difference within a day, and about 75% better in two days.  If you're feeling worse, you may be on the wrong antibiotics, or you might have a more serious bladder or kidney infection so get in as soon as possible to reevaluate your condition.  

Hope you're feeling better! 
    I know someone who did that. It was a long distance relationship and they decided it wasn't worth spending their visits with her being sick and in pain the entire time they were together.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I swear, the apple cider vinegar really does help!
  • I swear, the apple cider vinegar really does help!
    I'm sure it does!  It seems to help me when I take it along with my cranberry juice, although I'm having  a little trouble finding peer-reviewed journal evidence of it being specifically used to treat UTI's.  Doesn't mean it doesn't help, it just means there might not be a lot of studies to go on.  I love Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar.  It's awesome.

And OP, a few more suggestions (because I haven't written enough): Wear cotton underwear and stay away from thongs or nylon/spandex material.  Avoiding female "deodorants" like Summer's Eve and scented toilet paper may also help.  Avoiding those things will also help prevent yeast infections.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards