Chit Chat
Options

Scary Situation - Serving Divorce Papers

I work as a Legal Assistant, and I got an e-mail today that essentially said the following:

A fellow legal assistant went to serve documents on an opposing client. That's normal, we all do it as long as our client tells us the other person is not violent or volatile. She got the description of the person from her client, and went to serve him.  The guy comes storming out of his house, screaming at her to get off his property. So she says, are you John Doe?  YES NOW GET OFF MY PROPERTY. She went to give him the papers, and he started throwing punches, and someone from the house SHOT at her. SHOT AT HER.

She wasn't harmed, but they wanted to warn all us legal assistants to be very aware of our surroundings. We talked to our boss about it and he's decided that we will not be serving anymore and that a Sheriff will be doing it from now on.

So that was the drama in my life today.

Re: Scary Situation - Serving Divorce Papers

• Options
    WOAH. That's all I got. WOAH.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Holy crap! I'm glad she's okay but that is seriously scary.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Holy shit!! That's fucked up. Especially just for divorce papers... I mean it's not like she was a bounty hunter trying to bring him in.

• Options
    Holy shit! That  is insane. I thought it was bad that FI's ex threw the divorce papers in my face when  I served her.
  • Options
    That is crazy.  Glad she is okay.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    HOLY SHIT. 
  • Options
    OMG. I hope these sick assholes were arrested. GEez....
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Someone wanted to divorce him? But he sounds so charming... Seriously though, I'm glad she's ok. Part of my job also requires me to serve legal documents on individuals (generally subpoenas for court appearances and depositions), but I always wonder if I'm going to run into someone who REALLY doesn't want to be served...
  • Options
    YIKES!!!!! That is insane. 

• Options
    Wow that's gosh darn mad! I'm glad she's okay but I'd be so scared to do that again!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I can't believe that someone shot at her! That is terrifying!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My gosh! That is ridiculous! Way to go guy, now not only are you getting divorced, you're also going to jail.
  • Options
    afox007 said:
    Holy shit! That  is insane. I thought it was bad that FI's ex threw the divorce papers in my face when  I served her.
    In her defense, if my ex had his new GF/FI serve me with the divorce papers, I'd feel like throwing them in her face too.
    Yeah I would probably feel the same... 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    afox007 said:
    In her defense, if my ex had his new GF/FI serve me with the divorce papers, I'd feel like throwing them in her face too.

SITB - This. Exactly this. All the this. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    afox007 said:
    Wait?  Are you a sheriff or a legal aide as well?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I'm hoping the sheriff picks up an arrest warrant along the way if he stops by to serve divorce papers.
  • Options
    TKzilla said:
    afox007 said:
    You mean you…
    I just…
    Seriously just…
    Yeah, I'm going to assume that she isn't a sheriff or legal aide, in which case I don't think it was appropriate that she serve divorce papers to her BF's wife.

If I had been the wife, I would have slammed the door in her face and told her she can tell my cowardly, pansy-assed husband to come back with the papers himself.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    TKzilla said:
    afox007 said:
    You mean you…
    I just…
    Seriously just…
    Yeah, I'm going to assume that she isn't a sheriff or legal aide, in which case I don't think it was appropriate that she serve divorce papers to her BF's wife.

If I had been the wife, I would have slammed the door in her face and told her she can tell my cowardly, pansy-assed husband to come back with the papers himself.

Stuck in BOX
    @Afox007  I think, based on other posts I've seen if I'm remembering correctly, you either are an attorney or definitely work in the legal field.  Can of worms though... we're all dying of curiosity why you got to serve your own fiance's ex the divorce papers.  

• Options

Stuck in BOX
    @Afox007  I think, based on other posts I've seen if I'm remembering correctly, you either are an attorney or definitely work in the legal field.  Can of worms though... we're all dying of curiosity why you got to serve your own fiance's ex the divorce papers.  
    Yeah, I really need to know what's going on here.
  • Options
    TKzilla said:
    afox007 said:
    You mean you…
    I just…
    Seriously just…

Stuck in BOX
    If I remember correctly she is not an attorney, she is a waitress, but she did fill out all of her FI divorce paper work for him because he was taking his time/ didnt want to get divorced 

• Options
    mschristie123mschristie123 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2014
    Lol and I thought my job was scary. Violent mentally ill kiddos and got shit on a guy with a gun.

ETA: words
    imageimage">
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Stuck in BOX
    Yeah, I really need to know what's going on here.
    Yeah I'm sort of curious here too. I'm a legal aide, and all of the divorce papers we do (and there are a lot) are served, generally, by the sheriff. I know not all places do that though. 

Hope you come back, @afox007. I want to hear that story.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2014

In many jurisdictions, anyone over the age of 18 can serve papers on someone else.  You CAN hire the sheriff or constable to serve them for you, but you don't have to be an officer of the law or court to serve someone.  You just have to be an adult, and not a party to the petition.  You serve them, and then sign an affidavit that says you served them. 

ETA:   But, I think it's totally tacky that a guy would have his current girlfriend serve his ex-wife.  That is just really poor judgment skills.

• Options
    I've never had anyone shoot at me, obviously or I wouldn't do what I do. But some clients get nasty. I've had one throw a stapler at my head.
  • Options
    In CA, or at least our county, anyone except the person named in the case can serve the papers. Since FI's ex is homeless it would have been ridiculous trying to get a sheriff or legal assistant to track her down to serve the papers. I kept the papers in my purse for weeks, since I knew that at some point she would resurface trying to ask for some sort of help. When she did I gave her the papers and she threw them back.

As for why I filled out the papers; FI had been separated for over two years and every time he tried filling them out something was wrong with them. He asked me to do them since I tend to be better at things like that. He probably should have hired a lawyer instead of having me do it for him, but since I had recently lost my job money was already super tight. 

Luckily everything worked out the divorce has been finalized for months, he got full custody of FSS, and she is pretty much out of the picture. 
  • Options
    loveislouderloveislouder member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    @afox007 That makes sense... it would have cost you a fortune to try to track her down.

ETA: Plus you know exactly who you're looking for.
  • Options
    @afox007 That makes sense... it would have cost you a fortune to try to track her down.

ETA: Plus you know exactly who you're looking for.
    Exactly. Even I had a hard time; I pretty much had to wait around for her to need something from me and pop up. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards