Chit Chat
Options

Well, that stings a little

I've been at my current job now for about 3.5 years. I didn't expect anything from my coworkers when I got married. I thought it was wonderful when I got a gift card from them. Well, another girl who has been here just a little bit longer than I have is getting married in three weeks. They threw her a bridal shower. With catered food, flowers and decorations. I wasn't invited. I'm sitting outside of the conference room they are occupying right now for her shower eating my sad little salad feeling pretty burned.

Re: Well, that stings a little

• Options
    wow...wtf jerks.. would be sad too!!! 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    You have every reason to feel sad! Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry, what a horrible way to get ready for your weekend :(

• Options
    Fuck this place- seriously. I'll never be cliquey enough to fit in with these girls. 
  • Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    *throws you a virtual bridal shower*

That really sucks.  They could have at least done an after work deal if they were going to be so jerky about it. Are you inviting them to your wedding/did you invite them if you're married?  Did she invite them to her wedding?  It's still jerky but I can see them throwing her a shower if she invited them to her wedding but you didn't invite them to yours.

Edit: Because words are hard.  

• Options
    What a bunch of assholes.

I'm sorry. I'd be upset, too.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    I got married out of state, so I only invited two of my coworkers (one came). I have no clue if she's inviting any of them. I'm not invited, but I didn't expect to be invited because we don't hang out at all after work. The thing is... I don't think she hangs out with any of these girls outside of work either. 
  • Options
    SBmini said:
    I've been at my current job now for about 3.5 years. I didn't expect anything from my coworkers when I got married. I thought it was wonderful when I got a gift card from them. Well, another girl who has been here just a little bit longer than I have is getting married in three weeks. They threw her a bridal shower. With catered food, flowers and decorations. I wasn't invited. I'm sitting outside of the conference room they are occupying right now for her shower eating my sad little salad feeling pretty burned.
    UGH. People suck.  They didn't have to put it in your face like that.  
  • Options
    *throws you a virtual bridal shower*

That really sucks.  They could have at least done an after work deal if they were going to be so jerky about it. Are you inviting them to your wedding/did you invite them if you're married?  Did she invite them to her wedding?  It's still jerky but I can see them throwing her a shower if she invited them to her wedding but you didn't invite them to yours.

Edit: Because words are hard.  
    This could make a difference.  Still shitty, in my opinion, and SOMEONE should have said "Gah, this is going to make @SBmini feel really shitty, maybe we should do this after work or on her day off"
  • Options
    They sound awful! I think you're better off not being that cliquey. Enjoy your salad and be happy that you're married!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I don't think they even thought of me at all or thought it would be in my face. I wouldn't be surprised if they saw me outside they cringed a little because I was forgotten. I think it was more, "Hey, we should do something for this girl!" "Let's throw her a shower!" Which is fantastic, good for her, glad she's getting love and attention- she deserves it. 

But I deserved it too :pout: 
  • Options
    I'd be annoyed, too. Hugs.
  • Options
    That's really shitty, I'm sorry. Wow, what jerks.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Oh that sucks. I'm sorry. I worked in an office where I was the only female engineer - there were lots of other women but they were all admin-types. I often got left out of things and I know it hurts. I'd totally throw a huge shower for you!
  • Options
    I'm sorry. I've work with people like that before.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you have to witness and experience that.  I'd feel the same people.  Fuck 'em.  They sound like bitches.

• Options
    I would feel so awkward.  I'm sorry!
  • Options
    That sucks balls. People can be so inconsiderate.

• Options
    Your coworkers have no class. Forget about them and have a great weekend.

• Options
    Your coworkers have no class. Forget about them and have a great weekend.

Exactly! I'm sorry.
  • Options
    Okay, Its one thing to throw someone a shower and not invite people, but its completely inappropriate to do so in an office space where other people aren't invited...like who does that?! They really didn't have to rub it in your face. Its mean spirited and its messed up. 

If I were in your shoes (and if I hated my job), I would have dressed up like Maleficent and went into the shower, yelled I curse your first born, and run out. But all silly things aside, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life. I know its hard, but don't let them get to you, they are cliquey for a reason (they are all tacky bitches). Just hold your head high and be cordial. 
  • Options
    I thought it was bad/sad that I have no friends at work. I think bitches at work would be even worse. Sorry!! 

• Options
    Couldn't they have gone to a restaurant during lunch, or after work.  Not in a conference room during work. Not cool.

• Options
    How rude! Seriously, how hard would it have been to invite you in? It's a work shower FFS! You are entitled to some punch and cake. If any end up in the communal fridge take that yummy goodness.
  • Options
    That is REALLY shitty. The same kind of stuff happens my office and it's totally political - if you don't chip in for a shower/gift, you don't get invited and don't get to sign the card so that everyone knows you didn't give.

I'm sorry they did that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    That's so disappointing!  Please don't take it to heart.  You deserve much better treatment than this.
  • Options
    That's so shitty.  It's a lot like that where I work.  We got a card and a GC to a local shop.  Now, they're asking where you want the GC too, but I can handle that.  The difference is between staff (teachers) and admin's favourites (specifically my lovely AP).  If she super likes someone, she'll throw them a full on shower - snacks, cake, collects cash from staff for a huge amount of gifts.  We already pay into a staff gift fund which pays for wedding/baby type gifts, so this is over and above.  I don't need a wedding shower, but if you're doing it for 1 person, you need to do it for everyone.  

Also, at our end of year meeting this June, all teacher who were leaving were given cards and a little gift, even those teachers who were subs on a temporary contract.  I found out later that several of our Education Assistants are leaving too.  No mention was made of any of them leaving.  No thanks for your year, no card, no gift nothing.  Our admin is great at treating different job groups in my school differently.  It's totally like a caste system and it's absolutely ridiculous.  If you're not a teacher or higher, you don't matter 

• Options
    You can pull the classy move, like my dad did at his previous job.  Long story short, the CEO accidentally sent an irrationally critical email about my Dad to the entire company (I know this because I read said email, and it was all very easily quantifiable objections, which were actually incorrect based on simple data analysis, that were voiced in a very offensive manner).  So Dad clicked the "reply all" button and told the CEO to fuck off.  

Basically, you just need to get one of these nasty brats or terrible managers to send you a rude email, but accidentally post it to everyone, so you can reply to everyone.

Dad says it's one of the best things he ever did.  I hope you have a similarly cathartic moment when you leave this job.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards