Chit Chat

Disturbed by reading wedding boards

smsterner94smsterner94 member
First Comment 5 Love Its
edited August 2014 in Chit Chat
I've only been engaged for two months but I've recently started frequenting theknot.com's forums to get ideas for my wedding next year. But I've pretty much had to stop because I'm so disturbed by all of the negativity/general bitchiness of so many commenters. These should be some of the happiest forums on the internet, we're all engaged/married to our beloved and yet so many feel the need to just tear into others and it's totally unwarranted.

Here are my thoughts based on my observations:
The OP's life/wedding is not your life/wedding. They are a completely different person with completely different life circumstances. They might make different decisions than you would. They might do things that you don't like. That doesn't mean that you should insult them or rudely tell them how to live their life or conduct their affairs. If they asked for advice, be polite and give it!!! If they're totally in the wrong then tell them, but be nice about it. Why would you want to tear someone down months/weeks/days before their wedding? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want that done to you. 

Just my rant for the day. Hoping to find some friendlier forum threads soon. 

Re: Disturbed by reading wedding boards

• Wow you guys are bad at spotting trolls. Let the bitchiness commence. I'm gonna go retreat to Pinterest.
  • @knotporsche- might as well lock this 
  • It really wasn't intended to be troll post, but there's no way to win in this situation. My feelings remain, take it as you will.
  • Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• OP, I bet you're really good at making friends IRL.
  • Don't ask a question and provide information that can be commented on if you don't want to hear ALL the answers.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • You are boring and unoriginal.

Anniversary
  • Wow you guys are bad at spotting trolls. Let the bitchiness commence. I'm gonna go retreat to Pinterest.
     Let the eye rolling commence.  

• *sigh* Can we get some more creative trolls, please?
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I think she wins the award for fastest GCK though.
  • I've only been engaged for two months but I've recently started frequenting theknot.com's forums to get ideas for my wedding next year. But I've pretty much had to stop because I'm so disturbed by all of the negativity/general bitchiness of so many commenters. These should be some of the happiest forums on the internet, we're all engaged/married to our beloved and yet so many feel the need to just tear into others and it's totally unwarranted.

Here are my thoughts based on my observations:
    The OP's life/wedding is not your life/wedding. They are a completely different person with completely different life circumstances. They might make different decisions than you would. They might do things that you don't like. That doesn't mean that you should insult them or rudely tell them how to live their life or conduct their affairs. If they asked for advice, be polite and give it!!! If they're totally in the wrong then tell them, but be nice about it. Why would you want to tear someone down months/weeks/days before their wedding? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want that done to you. 

Just my rant for the day. Hoping to find some friendlier forum threads soon. 

Let me guess. You're having a cash bar, honeymoon registry, and are only inviting +1s for guests who are engaged or married, right?
  • I'm sorry you feel that way.  The community here says what they feel, and unfortunately it sometimes runs counter to what the OP feels and wants to hear, or finds useful.  If you don't like TK, there are tons of other wedding forums where people are a little more polite.  I don't know whether because it's a different group with different opinions, or whether it's because they're more worried about offending people.  I genuinely feel that 95% of the posts I've read here where the OP gets upset by the responses are because of personal differences between the OP and the responders, the OP has asked a question or made a comment that the responders find offensive, or things are misinterpreted because everyone is speaking through text and there's no body language or tone of voice.  

Unfortunately, these sorts of posts pop up all the time, which is why a lot of posters are not directly addressing you.  I'm relatively new here, so have seen less of it.

It really is a wonderful community.  Generally, if you're polite to people, they'll be polite back.  I can't think of a single member who's generally disagreeable.  Like any public forum, you have to be prepared for dissent, and it's up to you to choose which posts to take to heart, and which to ignore.
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Someone put the crazy pills in one of our mac and cheese dinners tonight, OP. Not sure which one.

These ladies have been helping me through the hardest time in my life and I could link to about 10 threads off the top of my head that are filled with some of the most loving, thoughtful, and heartwarming stuff e-ver that occurred within the past few days on CC alone and were for various members of the community.
  • @addiecake -  this is why I love you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @addiecake -  this is why I love you.

Awww, thanks!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Awww, I missed it admitting to being a troll. Ooops.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
    Yeah, go to Pinterest.  Perhaps you'll find some cute signs for a honeymoon registry or a cash bar. 
  • AddieCake said:
    Awww, I missed it admitting to being a troll. Ooops.
    I think the troll comment was a defense mechanism because she has done a couple of posts before, I checked her history out of curiosity.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards