Chit Chat

fiance hated makeup trial- what to do?

I don't wear makeup at all and FI loves that. My bestie did my makeup trial today and I told her light and natural. At first when I saw it I said too heavy but she convinced me that it was not and that I need it so I'm not washed out on photos. So after she took a picture of it I thought Ok she's right.

But FI came home from work an hour later and said "omg its way too much. I don't like the blush/ bronzer, I don't like the eyes, and absolutely no on the lipstick. I love the way you look without any and I want you to look like yourself."

So now I have no idea if I should go lighter or go bare or stick with the trial or what.

Re: fiance hated makeup trial- what to do?

• pictures please! i'm sure you look absolutely stunning. 

image   image   image

• Definitely at least try lighter first.

You do need it for the camera, IMO.

For my sister's wedding, I looked like a ridiculous doll in person, but in the photos it just looks a tad overdone.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• I would explain, FI, I need to have makeup so that I don't look washed out in the pictures, but I want to look pretty for you. We need to come to a happy conclusion where everyone is happy.

image   image   image

• I try not to post myself in case any friends are on here but whatever they've prob figured out who i am by now haha. First one is Makeup. Second is every day.

• I love the one with your head upright, lol.  If that is the "natural" you, go for a makeup look closer to that one. You do not look washed out in it in the slightest. The pic with your head to the side I'm not a fan of. 

I wish I had done a makeup trial first and taken pics. My artist did a bad job, I ended up looking like a raccoon. I hate all my pics. If you can, see if your bestie will try something more natural look, take a similar pic to the one you did today, and then compare. That way you are just looking at your face to see how it turns out. Go outside to take pics to see how they turn out. Try and get as good of an idea as you can to see which one looks the best. 
  • The makeup looks great! Has your FI seen the picture?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Three things:

1. You're so pretty!
    2. In that photo your makeup does look really light and natural to me. I think it gives just enough definition and compliments your face so that it will photograph well.
    3. I am impressed that your FI knows what blush and bronzer are.

I would go with it, or maybe go a tiny bit lighter around the eyes. I do think the blush and bronzer are important to make your face not look washed out in photos.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @inkdancer yes I sent the pic while he was still at work and he said too much. @blabla89 thank you!! He did not know bronzer he just said "whatever is all over your cheeks" hahah.

• I would try a brown smokey eye instead of purple/grey to lessen the effect of makeup, but then to use mascara (and it would be even better to have false eyelashes!). That way you could go less on the other things that hes afraid of, but still have your eyes pop with definition in the pictures! Your skin is such a beautiful tan already - you dont need all the bronzer probably. Just a light pink on your cheek bones would be enough! I also think a light lipgloss is pretty, if he doesn't like lipstick.

image   image   image

• This is my brothers wedding. The bride has full on airbrush. I had on a small amount of eye liner and mascara that I applied myself. Does mine photograph Ok at that amount? Or do you still prefer the full done face?

• @sugargirl1019 thanks! That was a totally brown palate she used, no greys. I'm thinking the lip gloss is def a good idea instead of the color lipstick.

• Maybe if the MUA did less eyeshadow, it would look a little more natural. Go with a darker eye liner (but not necessarily thicker) and mascara, but less eyeshadow. I agree that the eyeshadow looks a little grey/purple instead of brown. A gold shadow or brown smokey eye will look give you a more natural look. I think blush is definitely needed to define the cheekbones, but you don't need bronzer at all, IMO. If you aren't happy with the make up that the artist did, get some makeup (from Sephora or Ulta so you can return it if you don't like it) and play around. Take pictures of each makeover you do so you can see what you like. That's what I did instead of hiring a MUA and it worked out well.
  • jenna8984 said:
    This is my brothers wedding. The bride has full on airbrush. I had on a small amount of eye liner and mascara that I applied myself. Does mine photograph Ok at that amount? Or do you still prefer the full done face?
    I think this is a good illustration of what the difference is. Your face looks lovely in this one (you have great skin!) but having a full face done really gives the bride an extra "glow" that photographs nicely. The contouring helps the camera to capture the shape of her cheeks.

I'd say go more light and natural with the eyes, but do have the MUA do the foundation and bronzer/blush.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• jenna8984 said:

@inkdancer yes I sent the pic while he was still at work and he said too much. @blabla89 thank you!! He did not know bronzer he just said "whatever is all over your cheeks" hahah.

Not helpful but had to throw in that my husband knows more makeup terminology than I do. Of course that's not hard but still.
  • I really am not a fan of the make up either. The eyeshadow is too light and makes your eyes look a bit sunken and sickly. :/

Does your friend do this professionally? It looks kind of not good. :/
  • I hate to say it, but I agree with PPs. You are lovely and that makeup doesn't do anything for you. The eyeshadow especially doesn't work at all, it looks like something a little one would do. 
  • Lol thank you for all the great advice everyone! @ohannabelle I frigen love Carmindy and her makeup she does! I think it's all really good advice to just go with a little blush and probably do my own eyes lightly like I used to when I did wear makeup. 
    Plus the wedding is daytime in a park, then a short dinner reception so it's not like I really need such a "dramatic/ nighttime" face in my opinion. 

My friend does not do makeup as a career. She's just an enthusiast who owns a lot of expensive products so she has done about 10 friend's weddings and I always thought those ladies came out great. But I think she is so used to a dark, heavy, smoky eye that she just doesn't have much experience with going light. She was going to do it for free since she's a bridesmaid so I'm sure she wouldn't be offended if I just told her I decided to do it myself. 

• Your are gorgeous without make-up, beautiful skin! I think your friend's execution was fine, but the colors she chose were not flattering. Try tans, browns, and peachy pinks.
  • Maybe if the MUA did less eyeshadow, it would look a little more natural. Go with a darker eye liner (but not necessarily thicker) and mascara, but less eyeshadow. I agree that the eyeshadow looks a little grey/purple instead of brown. A gold shadow or brown smokey eye will look give you a more natural look. I think blush is definitely needed to define the cheekbones, but you don't need bronzer at all, IMO.

If you aren't happy with the make up that the artist did, get some makeup (from Sephora or Ulta so you can return it if you don't like it) and play around. Take pictures of each makeover you do so you can see what you like. That's what I did instead of hiring a MUA and it worked out well.

All of this completely. A more golden toned eyeshadow but only on the lids, not blended out to your brow. Maybe just a little pale golden highlighter on your brow bone. More intense liner (thinking powder; deep color but not a stark line) and lashes. Clear gloss on your lip.

• I think the makeup you did for the wedding picture you posted looks fine in the photos. What I liked in your makeup trial was the mascara and liner. I'm not sure if you did anything with your eyebrows at the trial but they look nice too. I'd skip on the bronzer and the lipstick shade. I would suggest wearing some kind of color on your lips since they are a similar color to your skin tone. I would also try out some of your lip glosses and give FI a kiss. I know that my FI does not like lipgloss since it can be sticky and end up on his lips too.
    image Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • See how her eyes are smoky without an acre of shadow? And the colors are better for an olive complexion.

• That girl needs to work on her blending, she gave you garage door eyeshadow and that is not ok. You've gotten a lot of good tips from everybody regarding makeup.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I think you have gotten some pretty great advice, and I just want to say that someone (can't remember who and I'm lazy) mentioned to go with a gloss... I 100% agree with that.  I think the make up itself doesn't look horrible, but the lipstick is what does it for me.  I'm a person that doesn't wear a ton of make up and I always feel like I'm playing dress up when my lips have too much color.  I usually go with a tinted gloss from Victoria's secret, it's subtle and lasts awhile!!

• one of my coworkers has a SEVERE makeup allergy (if anyone is wearing makeup and hugs/kisses her she breaks out in hives). She didn't wear makeup on her wedding day, and her pictures looked fine. If you are most comfortable/want the natural look, just ask your photographer if he/she can work with it.

Did you have an engagement shoot done? Did you wear makeup, if not you'll have a good idea of how you'll look in photos.
  • I agree 100% with all PPs. The make up your friend applied doesn't do much for you. You are beautiful with a natural look, why ruin it with gobs of eye shadow, an incorrect lipstick shade, and improper contouring? If you are concerned with being washed out for your photos, you can definitely apply a tinted lip gloss or stain, some blush, natural eye shadow (different browns and nudes), liquid liner, and lash lengthening mascara. You will achieve a slightly enhanced natural look while highlighting your best facial features. Assuming you have time to play with make up, there are a ton of websites with tutorials on make up application and make up tips. I saw this smokey eye and maybe it's more along the lines of what your FI would be comfortable with?

If you keep your friend as a MUA, you can always provide her with the products. I also ditto @beethery‌ who said she's gotta work on her blending. Either way you'll look beautiful on your wedding day. Good luck!

• My daughter and I both had a makeup trial before the wedding and hated it. We wanted natural ("us but better") and got similar to what you showed above, OP. My DH hated it too.

Day of the wedding, new state, new MUA... I showed her pictures similar to what others have posted here, and the photo below shows what she did with my DD. She's actually wearing a lot of makeup but does not look it at all. (Sorry it's sideways)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My daughter and I both had a makeup trial before the wedding and hated it. We wanted natural ("us but better") and got similar to what you showed above, OP. My DH hated it too.

Day of the wedding, new state, new MUA... I showed her pictures similar to what others have posted here, and the photo below shows what she did with my DD. She's actually wearing a lot of makeup but does not look it at all. (Sorry it's sideways)

Awwww she's so pretty!!!

• I feel like the colors are just wrong for your colors, and the eye shadow wasn't applied well.

I'd maybe hit up an ulta or sephora and ask them to match your colors.
  • I'm with the other ladies' comments-you need a different MUA. I'm also betting that your friend applied foundation first, and THEN did eyes, and little bits of shadow got under your eyes. Foundation should be done LAST to avoid any shadow under the eyes-I always do my eyes, use eye make-up remover under my eyes, apply a primer, and THEN do foundation. Since you don't wear much makeup, you may want to try Sarah McNamara's Miracle Skin Transformer-I wear Medium and I'm about your coloring-or Jane Iredale's Tinted Moisturizer-I wear Medium-Light. These are both good everyday wear because they have some SPF, so you wouldn't be wasting money by buying it for the wedding. I then apply Mabelline Instant Age Rewind Eye Brightener in the color Brightener 160. Last, I apply Bare Minerals' Mineral Veil (I use the tinted Ready Touch Up Veil in Medium). Don't forget to do Primer first (Bare Minerals' Prime Time is great). Last, you could do a peachy-pink blush as others have suggested. You could then do a very neutral-to-pinkish white shadow with black liquid liner + false lashes. All of this would be minimal makeup (5 products on your face including the blush and primer), four on your eyes (neutral shadow, liner, mascara, and false eyelashes), and a lip gloss. I think it would still look like you because it doesn't include heavy eyes, and the foundation is more like tinted moisturizer. I'd suggest going to Bare Minerals for the Mineral Veil, Primer, and Gloss, and MAC for the liner, blush, and false eyelashes (the MAC girls are GREAT at showing you how to do the lashes, and their lashes are awesome as well-if you spend $50 they'll do your makeup for free, so I'd just have them do eyes with the 4 products-liner, lashes, mascara, 1 shadow-bring pics).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards