Chit Chat

Dressing up to travel: yea or nay? Also, how do you entertain yourself?

Re: Dressing up to travel: yea or nay? Also, how do you entertain yourself?

• I do not like Uggs.  Not think they are ugly, but they are too hot for my feet.   I do not like fluffy slippers for the same reason.   

Last winter was so wet and cold wet I wore my Hunter Boots with the insert at least once EVERY SINGLE DAY from Thanksgiving to mid-April.     I love those boots.   Thinking of getting another color this year with a different insert.

Like others.   As long as you are covered and do not smell good I generally do not care.   Sweatpants or yoga pants do not have to equal sloppy.    I've seen people in "normal" clothes look sloppier than someone in sweatpants.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    What kind of Uggs are people buying that are waterproof?  I've never had a pair (Ugg brand or otherwise, that were designed for snow wear).  I can spray waterproofer on mine every day, and they're still only good to a few minutes out in the snow.  I have never even found them particularly well suited to gripping snow and ice.  

And damn, I hate the internet.  I did make the Ugg comment partly in jest, and now I can't tell whether Maggie is also make a rude comment to me in jest, or in seriousness.  But fuck it.  People are free to voice their opinions, other people are free to disagree.  

Seriously, the only time I've side eyed anyone for wearing uggs in public is when people wear them to work and they're way too casual, or when I see girls wearing them with short skirts and tank tops, or t-shirts.  If you're wearing so little clothing, how do you need sheepskin boots?  I just don't understand it.  And I don't get people wearing them to the club.  I've just never understood that either.  Maybe it's because to me, and Australians my age or older, they generally look like glorified house slippers that have been very well marketed.

ETA:  Just adding a few more thoughts.
    Yeah not making a rude comment to you at all.  Just stating my opinion and kind of being funny/sarcastic by saying "no you may not" because we all know that you or anyone else does not have the actual power to institute a no Ugg rule in public.

And my Uggs are waterproof because I waterproofed them.  It is something that you are supposed to do, otherwise you ruin the hell out of them and you may as well throw your money in the toilet.  A quick spray and bam, I can now wear them in the rain and when I shovel snow.

ETA:  My H (then BF) bought me a pair of real UGG boots about 9 or so years ago.  I still wear them to this day and they have held up amazingly.  I love them so much because my feet are always freezing so they are very much needed in the winter.

• Swazzle said:
    Eesh. Tough crowd! 

I wear yoga pants and a tank or tshirt to the airport and always have a zipper-up or hoodie and socks in my carry-on if I'm not already wearing them. 

I'll wear sweatpants if I'm running to Target, the grocery store, etc. 

And when I take out my dog in the winter, you're lucky if I even put on a bra. That also goes for the liquor store. 

No fucks are given.
    Yeah, I never understood the need to wear a bra everywhere.  I do have a friend who's small busted and sleeps in hers, because she's worried about the sagging.  I've never understood that.  That said, I'm not large enough to need to wear one most of the time.  

And seriously, for everyone's benefit, I say stuff simply to stir the pot.  I really give zero fucks about what other people are wearing, or what I wear most of the time, as long as it's clean, occasion appropriate, and we're all appropriately covered for whatever we're doing or the temperature.  I dislike seeing people in clothes are seriously ill fitting, but I have no idea whether the people who wear them have changed size recently and haven't been able to finance an entire new wardrobe, so I deal with it.  I hated that month when I had a choice between sweats and a pair of jeans that were a size too big.  I just felt slouchy all the time.  I felt so much better when I could finally buy a pair of jeans that fitted.

• What kind of Uggs are people buying that are waterproof?  I've never had a pair (Ugg brand or otherwise, that were designed for snow wear).  I can spray waterproofer on mine every day, and they're still only good to a few minutes out in the snow.  I have never even found them particularly well suited to gripping snow and ice.  

And damn, I hate the internet.  I did make the Ugg comment partly in jest, and now I can't tell whether Maggie is also make a rude comment to me in jest, or in seriousness.  But fuck it.  People are free to voice their opinions, other people are free to disagree.  

Seriously, the only time I've side eyed anyone for wearing uggs in public is when people wear them to work and they're way too casual, or when I see girls wearing them with short skirts and tank tops, or t-shirts.  If you're wearing so little clothing, how do you need sheepskin boots?  I just don't understand it.  And I don't get people wearing them to the club.  I've just never understood that either.  Maybe it's because to me, and Australians my age or older, they generally look like glorified house slippers that have been very well marketed.

Yeah not making a rude comment to you at all.  Just stating my opinion and kind of being funny/sarcastic by saying "no you may not" because we all know that you or anyone else does not have the actual power to institute a no Ugg rule in public.

And my Uggs are waterproof because I waterproofed them.  It is something that you are supposed to do, otherwise you ruin the hell out of them and you may as well throw your money in the toilet.  A quick spray and bam, I can now wear them in the rain and when I shovel snow.
    Thanks Maggie.  Like I said, it's hard to know whether anyone is being funny/sarcastic online.  One lady here and I once got into a twenty post thing about that because I couldn't explain myself properly.  Eventually a third party jumped in and did it for me.  Then everything was fine.  

What kind of waterproofer do you use?  Perhaps it's just a matter of the stuff I have not being very good.  But, I only really wear mine around the house or quick trips out.  I have two pair of Aussie Dogs, which are extremely afford sheepskin boots designed for snow.  They're slip on, so I do a quick change when I head out, even if I'm wearing pjs and taking the dog out for his nighttime poop.  They're just so much warmer and thicker than the Uggs.  I've had them for two seasons, and the only issue I have is that they're no long super comfortable because I've worn out the sheepskin on the inner sole.  I'm going to have to get some new insoles, so NBD, especially after two years.  I highly recommend them.  I don't think I wore my American snow boots once last winter because of those.  
  • It depends on where I'm going. If I plan on bringing boots, I'll wear those on the plane to save suitcase space, even though they're more of a PITA when going through security. I usually try to dress comfortably casual... which for me is leggings/tunic or stretchy jeans/top with a cardigan and scarf. 

For entertainment, I always bring my knitting when I travel. Knitting needles are technically allowed on planes but ultimately it's up to the discretion of security. Then I will knit and watch TV/a movie, have a glass or two of wine... and it's almost like I never left the comfort of my own couch. Almost. :-)
    Anniversary

• I have Ugg boots. I do not wear them in public. I mostly wear them while running out to warm up my car in the winter. 
  • I should clarify, I've judged exactly one person for wearing PJs in public. The woman on my block who I see multiple times a day walking her dog, at all different hours for a YEAR only ever wearing PJs. Sorrynotsorry. How can you only wear PJs for a year? 

• I don't judge what people wear at all, but I totally understand what he is saying. I think there is a middle ground there, which is basically cute comfy. At the airport I see a ton of just really sloppy looking outfits (holes in sweats, giant sweatshirts with stains, etc) If it was just one person I wouldn't judge, but I think he is talking about the general mass. You just kinda look around like hm, everyone literally looks like they rolled out of bed. I think everyone should just wear whatever they want, but I get what he is saying about airports.

I usually wear a maxi skirt or knit skinny pants and a fitted tee and sweater.

Yeah, and?  General question, not directed at Fran.

Look it's a stupid Slate click-bait article, I get that.  And Slate is notorious for snarky, arrogant, self aggrandizing drivel.  But I don't personally understand why the author or anyone else gives a flying rat's ass what other people are wearing on a plane?

I'm more worried about whether or not people have showered, have eaten some smelly food that is going to come out of their pores, and if I'm going to get stuck near small children on the flight.  I don't care what you are wearing as long as you don't stink and don't cry the whole damn flight.

That said, I try to dress comfortably but nicely, and definitely in layers in case it's too hot/too cold on the plane.  So comfy, dark jeans, t-shirts and sweaters.  I also pick my footwear based on how easily I can run through an airport to catch a connecting flight and how easily I can take my shoes off to get through security.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Pajama jeans!!

Seriously, though, I wear sweats when traveling all the time.  We're going to Russia on our honeymoon in January, so you can be damn sure I'll be wearing something WARM and something COMFORTABLE considering we'll be traveling for like, 2 days at a time.  If you side-eye me for wearing sweatpants on a flight from America to Russia, you have more issues than I do.

Also, I usually just read or listen to music on flights, but for this one I'll probably try to knock myself out somehow.  I find it dreadful to sleep on planes, but I kind of have to if it's an overnight flight.

• @missdeliah - No worries!!  Afterwards I thought that maybe I should have included a *just kidding* thing but I was too late.

As for the waterproofer, I can't remember what it is called but it does a really good job at keep them pretty dry.  I mean when I do shovel snow and I am walking through it for a long period of time they do start to look like they are getting a little wet but they never get soaked through or so wet that I can't wear them for the rest of the day.  I have been wanting to get no insoles for mine as well because after having them for so long they aren't nearly as soft and comfy as they used to be, but I keep forgetting about it and then it is summer LOL!

I will have to look into Aussie Dogs though.  I like taller boots because I generally like to tuck my skinny jeans or yoga pants into them (I know that is probably frowned upon by many on here) and the more of a boot form the less house slipperish they are :)  I don't mind spending a good amount on a decent pair of boots because, as you can see with my UGGs, I tend to wear the hell out of them for many years so they kind of pay for themselves at that point.

• I never wear sweats or PJs in public, and never on a plane. 
    Seriously, I want upgrades. You can miss out on upgrades by looking sloppy. Long flights? I throw a pair of yoga pants in my carryon so I can change for bedtime.
    The exception to the no PJs is for British Air, Air France, Cathay Pacific, airlines that actually give complimentary PJs to their first class passengers. They're ugly, but hell yes, souvenir PJs! What a hoot. 

(No, I can't afford 1st class, typically. Worked for major airlines, and always deliberately choose flights with empty seats in 1st, and know how to work my air miles when I'm actually paying. I'm like a little kid about first class. Wooohooooo! Flat bed seats! Down comforters! Desert cart! Pajamas! Free wine! It was a great few years and the kids were spoiled. They thought that airport was their personal bus stop. First class to Disneyland, whenever. Sometimes, I miss the airline industry.)
    That's what ppl claim and yet I also know ppl who claim to have been given upgrades while wearing sweats, so I don't buy it.

The concept also makes no logical sense and seems out right discriminatory too, if you think about it.  Why base upgrades on style of dress?  I don't get it.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• SBmini said:
    Oh, and by the way- these are a thing! I think I'm going to get them and make them my new travel pants:

$88 for yoga pants that look like dress pants?!

You can get actual dress pants for that much or less that are just as comfortable.  You can also get nice looking, comfy yoga pants/leggings for less.

• I have a really comfy dress I like to wear on the plane. It's jersey fabric and loose fitting, but it has a decorative top and looks nice for casual. I really can't stand the waist band on anything after an hour in the plane. For whatever reason I get super bloated while in-flight so I don't want anything tugging at me. My feet also swell up so I am definitely not going to be wearing any constricting shoes. Maybe some kind of a flat, otherwise I will never get them off!

I like to look at the skymall magazine and see all the amazing/rediculous things for sale, then read a bit, then try to sleep a bit.
  • edited September 2014
    Also, can I just state that I'd like to institute a no Ugg boots (or similar) in public rule? They are just overpriced house slippers. In Australia they're a generic item, that can be purchased from a variety of manufacturers, often for $50 a pair. Sweats, ugg boots; only acceptable in public if you're sick, going to the pharmacy, doctor, or a really quick supermarket run. And if you're walking the dog.
    No you may not.  I have Uggs and wear them a lot during the winter months.  They are water proof, warm and have a great rubber grip sole so I don't slip and fall on my ass when I have to trudge through the snow and ice.  Typically I wear them to work so that I can get to and from my car without my feet freezing or trying to maneuver in heels.

I'm sorry but I really can't believe that people are so judgmental about what other people wear, especially when we are talking about going to the food store, making an 8 hour plane ride, or taking the dog for a quick walk.  Now if we were talking about a wedding or a black tie event and someone showed up in yoga pants, a sweatshirt and Uggs I would be all "WTF?!"  But if I see the same outfit at the airport I wouldn't even question it.

Like another poster said, if you don't smell and all your privates are covered then I am cool with whatever you want to wear when you travel or are picking up a gallon of milk.
    Aw come on Maggie!  Have you read this site?!  People freak the fuck out on here over wedding guests wearing white FFS, of course ppl are going to judge what you wear to walk your dog ;-)

I'm personally not a fan of Uggs- I think they are overpriced and ugly for the most part, but I don't care if anyone else wears them.  Rock on, if that's your thing!

ETA: As far as waterproofing Uggs. . . they are made of sheepskin which is not designed to be waterproof, lol.  Therefore Uggs are not meant to be worn in the snow or to get soaked.  Rather than waterproofing, why not get a pair of boots actually meant for the snow?

These work like none other: http://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/style/71416-001.html

They aren't as cute as Uggs, but if I'm trucking around in weather nasty enough to require those, then I'm not worried about looking cute. . . I'm trying to get from point A to point B dry and without freezing my ass off!

• What kind of Uggs are people buying that are waterproof?  I've never had a pair (Ugg brand or otherwise, that were designed for snow wear).  I can spray waterproofer on mine every day, and they're still only good to a few minutes out in the snow.  I have never even found them particularly well suited to gripping snow and ice.  

They want everyone to know that they can afford Uggs.  To some people, it's all about the brand recognition.

• chibiyui said:
    I work retail, and I work in a mall. I judge everybody. How else would I keep my haughty sense of superiority?
    The people watching is the ONE thing I miss about working retail. I worked at a Brookstone store in a low-mid volume mall and the shit I saw daily was usually something to treasure.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:

chibiyui said:

I work retail, and I work in a mall.

I judge everybody.

How else would I keep my haughty sense of superiority?

The people watching is the ONE thing I miss about working retail. I worked at a Brookstone store in a low-mid volume mall and the shit I saw daily was usually something to treasure.

Man. The shit I have seen and heard.

People are fucking crazy.

Anniversary
  • Inkdancer said:
    I definitely believe in the combination of cute and comfy. If I am traveling, I am either wearing a maxi dress with a shrug and a scarf, or leggings with a tunic and a sweater. I entertain myself with a fluffy book and my iPod, although I do tend to get motion sic so I often sleep.
    Me too. My winter uniform is either one of the bolded or leggings (or jeggings) and a flannel. I do confy cute everyday.
    And my motion sickness is awful on takeoff and landing. My God.
  • @swazzle, I LOVE your siggy pic.

chibiyui, I snorted at your judging people comment.

I used to travel every week for work and would get off the plane, take a shuttle to the town where my client was, drop my suitcase off at the hotel, and go directly into meetings.  I fell in love with these pants (clicky).

When I would travel for work to Europe, I wore yoga pants with zipper pockets, a shirt, and a wireless bra.  I was in my mid-20s at the time and my company would fly us Business Class for overseas flights, so I felt like a badass snob when they boarded first class. 

• I don't judge what people wear at all, but I totally understand what he is saying. I think there is a middle ground there, which is basically cute comfy. At the airport I see a ton of just really sloppy looking outfits (holes in sweats, giant sweatshirts with stains, etc) If it was just one person I wouldn't judge, but I think he is talking about the general mass. You just kinda look around like hm, everyone literally looks like they rolled out of bed. I think everyone should just wear whatever they want, but I get what he is saying about airports.

Look it's a stupid Slate click-bait article, I get that.  And Slate is notorious for snarky, arrogant, self aggrandizing drivel.  But I don't personally understand why the author or anyone else gives a flying rat's ass what other people are wearing on a plane?

I'm more worried about whether or not people have showered, have eaten some smelly food that is going to come out of their pores, and if I'm going to get stuck near small children on the flight.  I don't care what you are wearing as long as you don't stink and don't cry the whole damn flight.

That said, I try to dress comfortably but nicely, and definitely in layers in case it's too hot/too cold on the plane.  So comfy, dark jeans, t-shirts and sweaters.  I also pick my footwear based on how easily I can run through an airport to catch a connecting flight and how easily I can take my shoes off to get through security.

And nothing- I specifically said I don't judge people on what they wear. It just is a thing you notice, that a lot of people wear outfits that they would never wear anywhere else. And so I think he's just saying, let's treat the airport like any other place. I am not talking about yoga pants outfits. I'm talking about outfits that you just never see anywhere else. And they are not clean. I really don't care what people wear. I do think that everyone wearing stained clothing that you would never wear anywhere else can change people's attitudes. Think about your outfits. Don't some make you walk like hells yeah I am a hot bitch. And sometimes you wear an outfit and you feel less sharp. I don't personally buy that everyone's attitude is changing because of what they are wearing, but I get the concept, and I am just saying I also notice that people wear things to the airport that they wouldn't wear anywhere else.

• Swazzle said:
    Eesh. Tough crowd! 

I wear yoga pants and a tank or tshirt to the airport and always have a zipper-up or hoodie and socks in my carry-on if I'm not already wearing them. 

I'll wear sweatpants if I'm running to Target, the grocery store, etc. 

And when I take out my dog in the winter, you're lucky if I even put on a bra. That also goes for the liquor store. 

No fucks are given.
    Yeah, I never understood the need to wear a bra everywhere.  I do have a friend who's small busted and sleeps in hers, because she's worried about the sagging.  I've never understood that.  That said, I'm not large enough to need to wear one most of the time.  

And seriously, for everyone's benefit, I say stuff simply to stir the pot.  I really give zero fucks about what other people are wearing, or what I wear most of the time, as long as it's clean, occasion appropriate, and we're all appropriately covered for whatever we're doing or the temperature.  I dislike seeing people in clothes are seriously ill fitting, but I have no idea whether the people who wear them have changed size recently and haven't been able to finance an entire new wardrobe, so I deal with it.  I hated that month when I had a choice between sweats and a pair of jeans that were a size too big.  I just felt slouchy all the time.  I felt so much better when I could finally buy a pair of jeans that fitted.
    I actually have ginormous boobs. But under a winter coat you can't even tell that they're down to my waist!

And nothing- I specifically said I don't judge people on what they wear. It just is a thing you notice, that a lot of people wear outfits that they would never wear anywhere else. And so I think he's just saying, let's treat the airport like any other place. I am not talking about yoga pants outfits. I'm talking about outfits that you just never see anywhere else.   Except Walmart, right? ;-)  And they are not clean. I really don't care what people wear. I do think that everyone wearing stained clothing that you would never wear anywhere else can change people's attitudes. Think about your outfits. Don't some make you walk like hells yeah I am a hot bitch. And sometimes you wear an outfit and you feel less sharp. I don't personally buy that everyone's attitude is changing because of what they are wearing, but I get the concept, and I am just saying I also notice that people wear things to the airport that they wouldn't wear anywhere else.

I will have to pay more attention the next time I have to fly anywhere, but I haven't really seen people dressed really badly- like in really ratty, old, stained clothing like you and others have mentioned. 

I have seen tons of sweat pants, track suits, yoga pants, Uggs, heels, jeans, suits, etc.  But no one has really looked like they just stepped out of People of Walmart.

• As far as boots: I LOVE boots. I want a pair of real Uggs because I like how fluffy they are. I wear western boots with my dress pants to work or with jeans. On days I need to wear heals, I slip on my lace-up work boots to walk to the car and to the office so my feet don't get wet. I also have a pair of Giani Bini "riding boots" that I wear with skinny jeans or leggings. If I could wear boots every day, I would.

And nothing- I specifically said I don't judge people on what they wear. It just is a thing you notice, that a lot of people wear outfits that they would never wear anywhere else. And so I think he's just saying, let's treat the airport like any other place. I am not talking about yoga pants outfits. I'm talking about outfits that you just never see anywhere else. And they are not clean. I really don't care what people wear. I do think that everyone wearing stained clothing that you would never wear anywhere else can change people's attitudes. Think about your outfits. Don't some make you walk like hells yeah I am a hot bitch. And sometimes you wear an outfit and you feel less sharp. I don't personally buy that everyone's attitude is changing because of what they are wearing, but I get the concept, and I am just saying I also notice that people wear things to the airport that they wouldn't wear anywhere else.

Honestly, if people are wearing ratty clothes that are stained and holey to the airport then they most likely wear those same clothes elsewhere as well. What I wear to the airport is typically my go to "I am going to be lazy and lay around the house" type of outfit. It will not be my "I am going to Cheesecake Factory for a date night" outfit and it certainly won't be "I have a business meeting as soon as I land so I am going to break out the pencil skirt and black pumps" outfit. And when I am going to the airport I am certainly not sporting my "damn I look sexy as hell" walk because I am more concerned about peeing one last time and catching my flight.

• PrettyGirlLost, funny story about your WalMart snark.  About 10 years ago or so, I was working on a project with clients in Dallas.  Once, my boss I flew to Dallas for a day of meetings, and had a flight back home to Houston booked for that evening.  We didn't bring any clothes since it was a one-day trip.  Fluke storms hit Houston and flooded the airports, so we couldn't get home.  Our senior project manager picked us up and took us to Wal-Mart where we bought clothes for the next day (I had been in that shirt, skirt, and heels ALL DAY).  I bought a red sweater top from the Kathie Lee Gifford collection, which turned out to become one of my favorites.  Whenever I wore it in the future, she'd giggle and call me Kathie Lee. 
  • PrettyGirlLost, funny story about your WalMart snark.  About 10 years ago or so, I was working on a project with clients in Dallas.  Once, my boss I flew to Dallas for a day of meetings, and had a flight back home to Houston booked for that evening.  We didn't bring any clothes since it was a one-day trip.  Fluke storms hit Houston and flooded the airports, so we couldn't get home.  Our senior project manager picked us up and took us to Wal-Mart where we bought clothes for the next day (I had been in that shirt, skirt, and heels ALL DAY).  I bought a red sweater top from the Kathie Lee Gifford collection, which turned out to become one of my favorites.  Whenever I wore it in the future, she'd giggle and call me Kathie Lee. 
    Holy.shit O.o

Holy.shit O.o
    Well, let me clarify.  There were no flights going into Houston.  It was a mess.  I don't think the airport itself sustained damage.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards