Wedding Etiquette Forum

wedding starting on time?

2»

Re: wedding starting on time?

• tammym1001tammym1001 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2014
    My wedding started 8 minutes after it was supposed to. I was in the room waiting for the DOC to come get me and at 5 minutes after I sent one of my BM's to find her and tell me what was going on. She came to the room and said a VIP guest hadn't shown up yet. I told her I didn't care and we're going right now. I was so pissed! By the time we got together and got ready to walk down the aisle she had arrived. She ended up parking her car right in front of the doors though because they didn't have time to find a parking spot and walk in. 

ETA: I was ready to go 15 minutes before the wedding was supposed to start, but I'm sure that people thought we started late because I wasn't ready. 
  • Our wedding started right on time and was either on or ahead of schedule even after a solid 45 minute delay at the hair salon...I am sorry but after 15 minutes I get pissy.  45 minutes is insane and anything longer than that I would be beyond livid.
  • edited September 2014
    sarahufl said:
    The large majority of wedding I have attended have been Catholic weddings, so while you might have to suffer a rude as hell gap, they always start within 10 mins of the scheduled time. Any more than that the priest is not going to marry you...see all the "valid" reasons SS brides give to justify having a gap to understand why they can't start late - Mass, doubled booked, etc.
    I didn't have a gap at my Catholic wedding AND we started on time :)
    That's why I said might, my first wedding was Catholic, started on time (despite a tornado emptying 4pm mass into my reception space) and had no gap. A tornado probably would have given me more than the 10 min grace period even :-p
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• You get 10 minutes with me, and then it's over.  I've been to weddings that start 5 or 10 minutes late - that's fine, that accounts for most last minute situations. Beyond that, you're just being rude.  If someone has managed to get themselves 500 or 1000 miles across country to be there, but can't get the 10 minutes from hotel to venue to be there on time, then they get to miss the ceremony because that's no one's fault but theirs. Maybe most weddings don't start on time, but they start within 10 minutes of that time. Not 45.
  • Yeah no fucking way.  My invitations say 4 o'clock, and that shit is starting at 4 o'clock.

You miss it, your problem. 

Starting the ceremony late pushes everything back.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I HATE when weddings start late as I am a compulsively early person, so I end up waiting even longer. I was at a wedding that started an hour late once- I ended up sitting around for about 80 minutes. Our wedding was at 5:30. We started at the stroke of 5:30.
  • Yeah no fucking way.  My invitations say 4 o'clock, and that shit is starting at 4 o'clock.

You miss it, your problem. 

Starting the ceremony late pushes everything back.
    This. We have our photographers for 6 hours, and the way I see it, any wasted time is wasted money!
  • lyndausvi said:
    My wedding started on time.   Most wedding I go to start on time.  Unless they were West Indian weddings.  Those were always 30+ minutes late.  2 of them were almost 2 HOURS late.  

I've told this story before, but once on the boat we had sunset sail wedding.  We had a bride who took she sweet ass time.  She was told over and over that she needs to get to the boat.  She said "I'm the bride and they will wait until I get there".   Fine, so she was 45 minutes late for a 1.5 hour trip. 

Now in the USVI there is no dusk really to speak of.  About 15 minutes after the sunsets it completely dark.  If it's not a full moon phase it REALLY dark.

So yeah, she missed the sunset and got married at the tail end of the "dusk" Oh and when you booked us it was from a specific start and end times.  If your late, too bad.  We do not extend the trip.     

She cried about not getting the sunset pictures she wanted.  Blamed us (because you know, we have control of when the sunsets).  Was just down right miserable. It was the most awkward wedding sail I had ever done.

I didn't even feel bad for her.  She was the one who decided that we were lying when we said if she didn't leave on time she will miss the sunset.

This story cracks me up every time! I never get tired of reading it and imagining the bride sulking and through a fit at the dark sky! :-p
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• My best girlfriend runs late for everything.  She is 54 and that isn't going to change.  She is one of the best people on the planet but she just runs late.  When DD got married in June I could tell they weren't there yet, but hey - we started smack dab on time and they came in quietly after things started.  I was a little bummed, but only for about a nanasecond.
  • Every wedding I've been to has started on time, give or take a few mins.
  • Question then for bridal party that is known for always being late do you fudge the time you tell them to be there?
  • beethery said:
    My whole deal is that shit is starting at 5. If you can not be a fucking grown up and be seated and ready for 5, you done fucked up on your own, and if you miss anything, it's on you.
    So much this. I know some of our guests missed our ceremony because they were running late. Not my problem and your loss.
    For real. FI's SIL might need a damn air drop to get her ass there on time, but if she fucks up her timing it is OOOOONNNNNNN HERRRRRRRR. I ain't waiting for no-damn-body.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• The last wedding I went to started an hour and forty five minutes late.

• kmmssg said:

"Weddings always start late" is a huge pet peeve of mine.  That is just poor planning (barring a true emergency).

ALL of my girls' weddings started exactly on time and so did both of mine.  The Army taught me the art of backwards planning and, done correctly, it never fails (barring an emergency).

I read on here from time to time about people having to wait an hour or an hour and a half for a wedding to start and I have never had that happen to me.  I think I would want to just leave but I don't know if I really would.  I can't imagine that happening!

I was never in the army, and neither were my parents, and I still backwards planning.

I think our wedding started four or five minutes late. A few people were coming in right at 2, so we waited for them to walk in and get seated. I would not be happy waiting for a long time, 15-20 minutes or more. I'd be twisting around, glancing at a clock whispering to H "I wonder what's taking so long?"
  • Question then for bridal party that is known for always being late do you fudge the time you tell them to be there?
    In my own experience, the BP hangs with the bride or groom a few hours before the ceremony.  They get ready, take pictures, etc.    Then as a group they go to the ceremony (GMs with the groom, BMs with the bride).  

So there really isn't opportunity for them to be late for the ceremony.  If they are late to get ready, it's not really a big deal.

That is how every wedding I've been in and seen does it.  I guess there are WP members who just show up at the ceremony.  But I would think that is not the norm.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • H was at the altar and my MOH stepped off right on time. I would have been pissed if something had caused us to be late.

I gave my phone to my MOH that morning. I was not about to get hassled and frazzled by people who couldn't get it together. She ended up fielding a few calls but didn't tell me about them because she knew it would stress me out. :)
  • Man, I really lucked out. The only phone calls I got the morning of the wedding were from the officiant and the photographer - both well before I even started getting ready.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• lyndausvi said:
    Question then for bridal party that is known for always being late do you fudge the time you tell them to be there?
    In my own experience, the BP hangs with the bride or groom a few hours before the ceremony.  They get ready, take pictures, etc.    Then as a group they go to the ceremony (GMs with the groom, BMs with the bride).  

So there really isn't opportunity for them to be late for the ceremony.  If they are late to get ready, it's not really a big deal.

That is how every wedding I've been in and seen does it.  I guess there are WP members who just show up at the ceremony.  But I would think that is not the norm.

This. 

Due to distances and such, I did go right to the chapel for my brother's wedding.  The Bride was getting ready 2 hours away from me and the chapel was in the middle.  So my sister & I, both BMs, got ready down here and went straight to the chapel.  I have inherited by father's problems with punctuality, but for a wedding, I make sure I'm early.  I don't want to be that person walking in late or not being there for the processional (whether I'm in it or not).

• Man, I really lucked out. The only phone calls I got the morning of the wedding were from the officiant and the photographer - both well before I even started getting ready.

**************STIB **************

The easy solution is turning off the phone.  Which is what I did.  True story. 

Back in old days we didn't have cell phones and didn't have such problems.  We are in an instant gratification world now.  Plus we are addicted to our damn phones.  Everyone knows you can just pick up the phone and get someone on other end (either by text or voice).      It's crazy.  If it's a true emergency they will still get a hold of you via another way.  If it's a stupid question they will move on the someone else who will answer the phone/text.

Taking phone calls is not an excuse for being late.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I HATE being late. It's just not my style. I'm really worried about my wedding starting late because people come late.

I went to a wedding in August, and people kept trickling in late. It was raining, so they decided to wait about 10 minutes to give people some time to arrive. That's fine, considering that it was quite the thunderstorm. But then,they kept almost starting the processional, but someone would else would come in and they would wait for that person to sit down, and then someone else would walk in the door and they kept waiting.

I felt like those guests were so rude.

• sarahufl said:
    The large majority of wedding I have attended have been Catholic weddings, so while you might have to suffer a rude as hell gap, they always start within 10 mins of the scheduled time. Any more than that the priest is not going to marry you...see all the "valid" reasons SS brides give to justify having a gap to understand why they can't start late - Mass, doubled booked, etc.
    I didn't have a gap at my Catholic wedding AND we started on time :)
    Ditto.
  • I might get a damn burner phone for the week of the wedding and turn my regular one off so no one can fucking call me and go, "Hey Beethery! We're going to be late, can you hold shit up for us because we're dumb as hell?"

The answer will forever be a solid, "No, bitch."
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I got a phone call from a friend the morning of the wedding. She wasn't invited, and when it rang, I just replied with the text "can't talk now, kinda busy". She left a sweet voicemail about how she was excited for me and shit. But, seriously, don't call a woman on her wedding day.,
  • What about for my "real" wedding??? Can that start late?????

*duck*
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards