Chit Chat

When FIL's attack! Talk me down! With GIFs because if I don't put some humor I will lose it.

sarawifenowsarawifenow member
First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
edited September 2014 in Chit Chat

So I am super bitchy/whiny today heads up. This is long but hopefully will be slightly entertaining.

A little back story,

1.) FMIL is a little crazy when she drinks (which is often).

2.) FMIL cosigned on FI's car loan last year. FI has never been late on a payment and actually pays over the minimum every month.

3.) FMIL offered to pay for our RD and my bouquet.

4.) My mom is paying for our wedding. We are paying my mom a FRACTION back (seriously comes down to like 2% because she won't let us pay more).

So on Wednesday night FI and I get a totally random facebook message from FMIL with a bullet point list of her "thoughts that she needs to get out before the wedding". This list includes that she wants to be off of FI's loan before the wedding (not happening), how it isn't fair that we are paying my mom (I am pissed that FI told her and we had words on that), how the bride's family should be accomodating her family including PAYING FOR THEIR HOTEL ROOMS AND DRIVING THEM AROUND SO THEY DON'T HAVE TO RENT A CAR, and then starts bringing up my recently deceased grandfather (who was my dad basically) saying that he was around so my mom should have money to cover the whole wedding so we can PAY FMIL!!!!

FI calls his mom to see where all of this is coming from and she basically says that she wants off of the loan and that FI should just stop making payments so that the bank will just take the car back.

FI reminds FMIL about the lease term and even lets her know that by our calculations, the car will be paid off at least a year sooner. He mentions that it is innapropriate to bring my family into anything and that I was very upset about this.

Then FMIL send me an "I'm sorry, it's not your fault the FI fell in love with a girl 700 miles away from his home."

So I thought we were done. UNTIL last night FMIL invites FBIL (who is always up for a fight) into the facebook convo and he writes a huge letter about how we shouldn't be ruining FMIL's credit because of the car and that she has two small grandchildren to worry about and how is she gonna pay for tuxes and dresses for FB and FS in law for the wedding? WE NEVER ASKED THAT!

I reply in the heat of the moment that our finances are not a family discussion and to kindly back off.

FBIL tells me that when I marry someone it is no longer about me and that I have only child syndrom. Uh...fuck you dude.

FI sees the messages and is PISSED. He ripped into FMIL and FBIL.

Guys, it is 5 weeks before the wedding. I am so pissed off, hurt, and don't even know what to do. FI is not talking to FMIL or FBIL. I am now coming up with the money to pay for the RD and have already sent a check to FMIL to reimburse for my bouquet. I just don't know what else to do at this point. Thanks for letting me go a little psycho here so I don't do it IRL. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: When FIL's attack! Talk me down! With GIFs because if I don't put some humor I will lose it.

• Holy fuckballs.

That's all I have. Sorry.

*hugs & wine*
  • Sorry :( That's terrible!

• Your FMIL sounds like a treat! Here's some wine.

That being said - she's giving you an out. She's want to be off of the loan? Go to the bank and find out what that takes. She seems like someone you wouldn't really want on a cosign of something financial anyways. 
  • Jesus! What the actual fuck?!?!
  • I have no idea where any of this is coming from. I am the most pissed of that she has decided to include his family in this. It is none of their damn business!
  • That is crazy!

Good on you for making alternative RD plans and sending back the money for flowers. I agree with PP that you should figure out how to get her off the car loan.

It is really out of line that she thinks she knows how much money your grandfather left behind (none of her business!) and that she should get a vote in how it is spent (ummm, no, STFU). Learn the line, "My family's finances are none of your concern," and repeat it as necessary. I don't know about "only child syndrome" but I do know about busy body syndrome and your FMIL has a bad case of it.
  • Shit. That sounds like a hot mess. Good on you for paying for the bouquet and the rehearsal dinner. 

Screw them though. That's such petty bullshit. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • zitiqueen said:
    You should ask FBIL why, if he's so damned concerned with his mother's financial state, she is paying for FBIL and FSIL's tux and dress in the first place. And why on earth would her finances affect her two small grandchildren? Don't they have parents to support them?
    Exactly! I didn't pop the kids out so why am I even involved in this?! Ugh I am just so pissed. I see many a margarita in my very near future.
  • A lunch cocktail never hurt anyone!
  • She's being ridiculous and adding FBIL was jut immature.
  • Ugh, what a pill. I'm glad FI is 100% on your side, though.

• OMG. This is insane.

I think you're making the right move to reimburse her and pay for the RD yourselves.

• Get her off the loan. Sounds like she is being a total B, but if she is actually involved in your finances, she has some say in them.

I say cut her off so she can't bother you.
  • sarahufl said:
    Get her off the loan. Sounds like she is being a total B, but if she is actually involved in your finances, she has some say in them.

I see that she has a say in the loan, but the rest of my finances aren't really her business. I am going to be going to the bank with FI tomorrow and see what we can do about getting her off of the loan.
  • I would try to get her off the loan. Also your finances are none of her business. I can't believe no one has touched on this but why the fuck should your family have to pay for their family's travels expenses?
  • FBIL (who is always up for a fight) into the facebook convo and he writes a huge letter about how we shouldn't be ruining FMIL's credit because of the car and that she has two small grandchildren to worry about
    What the fuck is FBIL doing that he can't support his own damn children???????

Fuckery in that family is on 100. BLOCK EM.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• jdluvr06 said:
    I would try to get her off the loan. Also your finances are none of her business. I can't believe no one has touched on this but why the fuck should your family have to pay for their family's travels expenses?

She is pissed off because she has offered to pay for the hotel rooms of all of her children and their tux and dresses (they are WP). She thinks that my family should have done this. I have no idea where she got that idea from.
  • sarahufl said:
    Get her off the loan. Sounds like she is being a total B, but if she is actually involved in your finances, she has some say in them.

I see that she has a say in the loan, but the rest of my finances aren't really her business. I am going to be going to the bank with FI tomorrow and see what we can do about getting her off of the loan.
    You should be able to get FMIL off the loan by assigning yourself onto the co-signor of the loan (if you can/want) or seeing if your FI can have it alone now.  If he has been paying steadily and over the minimum payment, they may allow him to have to loan himself.
  • This sucks balls. Like, totally sucks. I imagine you are pissed and totally stressed out.

It is super wonderful that your fiance and you are supporting one another in this! That is something to be thankful for!

• I'm sorry. That's all. I'm just so sorry this is happening to you.
  • jdluvr06 said:
    I would try to get her off the loan. Also your finances are none of her business. I can't believe no one has touched on this but why the fuck should your family have to pay for their family's travels expenses?

She is pissed off because she has offered to pay for the hotel rooms of all of her children and their tux and dresses (they are WP). She thinks that my family should have done this. I have no idea where she got that idea from.
    My in-laws paid for hotel rooms for all of their guests, which was super nice. They did not offer to do it for my side of the family or for our friends and we didn't ask. You know, because we aren't crazy people who demand people spend their money on us.
  • sounds a lot like some of the shit my in laws have pulled. my FSIL hates me and is pissed that FI basically is telling her to stick her opinions where the sun doesnt shine and she thinks he is choosing me over her and that we need to see the "big picture" (about what I am not sure). He is not not talking to his sister.. oh and all this started because she decided she was going to put her nose into a conversation FI and FMIL were having because she sent FI a message about how I was a tramp because she mistook a FB status I posted... WhHOOO inlaws! 
    Anniversary
  • PPs covered what I had to say.

So, I leave you with this.
  • Seriously, fuck them. I just can't handle people like this. I know it's so easier said than done though. Weddings really do bring out the worst in people. 
  • sarahufl said:

Oh, I don't disagree. But people are odd. If she is on the car loan she may see it as being more involved than she actually is. If she has zero say in your $$ situation, you are better off. Also, I may add- Facebook is a horribly unproductive way to discuss just about anything. It sounds like your FI needs to go over and sit with her. Or, at the very least, talk on the phone. FB isn't the place for that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards